OrangeCrush

Raheem Mostert 2020 Outlook

Unless the fantasy gods decide to punish me and decimate my RB corp (D. Henry, J. Conner, L. Bell, D. Freeman, Gio) with either injury or Covid, I'm holding.

This guy is just too talented, plays in an offense that wants to run and play D, has a great offensive mind in Shanahan, and it's clear to me that he's top dog when healthy.

That said, this is assuming he's back at worst after the bye. If we get concrete info saying this is a six to eight week recovery I may have to reconsider.

Someone just dropped in my 12 teamer due to a roaster crunch and definitely putting in a claim.  Agree with the above when healthy he has been the top dog in a run oriented offense with a good coach and OL.  I get there are a lot of cooks in the kitchen but if you can hold/grab him I think you'll be very happy come playoff time.  Just my opinion.

3 hours ago, Baur10 said:

Someone just dropped in my 12 teamer due to a roaster crunch and definitely putting in a claim.  Agree with the above when healthy he has been the top dog in a run oriented offense with a good coach and OL.  I get there are a lot of cooks in the kitchen but if you can hold/grab him I think you'll be very happy come playoff time.  Just my opinion.

Same just happened in my 10 teamer - so glad I had the #1 waiver. Cant believe people are dropping him. 

Is he a good trade target/ stash for teams who are looking good to make the playoffs?  His playoff schedule is nice. 

is the injury a major concern?  Sf offense is also worry but he could be a great target for playoff teams if the mostert owner is in win now mode. 

4 minutes ago, cgu112 said:

Is he a good trade target/ stash for teams who are looking good to make the playoffs?  His playoff schedule is nice. 

is the injury a major concern?  Sf offense is also worry but he could be a great target for playoff teams if the mostert owner is in win now mode. 

Hard to say. There are a lot of ? marks. High ankle sprains are one of the worst injuries a player can suffer mid-season. ~6 week recovery and can linger and sap effectiveness. Also risk of re-injury. Kamara said he didn't feel right after his high ankle sprain last season until 3 months into the offseason. MT comes back and pulls a hammy because high ankle sprains leave you immobile for a long period of time, high chance to strain some muscles if you aren't eased back in by good trainers.

He does have a good playoff schedule, and he is miles ahead of the next SF RB talent wise, so when he is healthy, he starts immediately. The question is will SF be in the playoff hunt by the time he comes back? If they aren't, I don't expect them to rush him back.

But odds are he does come back around week 12-13 and he does get the full RB load. There are just a lot of little blips that can occur along the way that nobody has the answers to. Personally, if you are targeting injured RBs, I'd go after Chubb or Sanders.

Edited by harck

Man a week ago I would say he was an amazing waiver claim. Now I don't really know after the Jimmy G and Kittle injuries. It will be interesting to see what approach the Niner's take. I don't think the consider tanking but they might keep him out until after the bye and then give him a lighter load. He is the only RB under contract next season and Niners are not far from being mathematically eliminated. 

I have a high claim and was going to use on him.... I think I just talked myself out of it. I don't need another player burning  a bench seat. I think Dobbins might be the better play. Raheem has huge upside though.  

1 minute ago, Fried Pork Grind said:

I have a high claim and was going to use on him.... I think I just talked myself out of it. I don't need another player burning  a bench seat. I think Dobbins might be the better play. Raheem has huge upside though.  

It's a tough call.  I've been holding onto this dude all season and was close last week to just cutting him.  But now that I've kept him I may as well ride it out.  Mostert could be a league winner if he comes back at 100% even without Jimmy G and Kittle.  That probably means he gets more touches and I'll take SF's run game over a stacked box.

With all niners’s injuries, maybe mostert won’t play this year... season is finish for them

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tomy said:

With all niners’s injuries, maybe mostert won’t play this year... season is finish for them

I doubt Shanahan is thinking that way. Nor every other player on the roster.

I'm holding. 

He's already...what...2-3 weeks in now? May as well see what happens if you've held this long.

You never know how these things play out. Team could get on a semi roll end of season and be building to next year. 

1 hour ago, Fried Pork Grind said:

Oh if he's on your waiver I would grab him for sure. That's a no brainer. In terms of going out and trading for him though, I would be hesitant to do that.

He is so far above anyone else in the backfield at this point I'd pick him up in a minute if he's available. I think his injuries hurt them just as much, if not more, than Kittle. 

Edited by LongBalls

It's unfortunate. If he got a full 16 games I think he'd challenge for a rushing title.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, harck said:

Hard to say. There are a lot of ? marks. High ankle sprains are one of the worst injuries a player can suffer mid-season. ~6 week recovery and can linger and sap effectiveness. Also risk of re-injury. Kamara said he didn't feel right after his high ankle sprain last season until 3 months into the offseason. MT comes back and pulls a hammy because high ankle sprains leave you immobile for a long period of time, high chance to strain some muscles if you aren't eased back in by good trainers.

He does have a good playoff schedule, and he is miles ahead of the next SF RB talent wise, so when he is healthy, he starts immediately. The question is will SF be in the playoff hunt by the time he comes back? If they aren't, I don't expect them to rush him back.

But odds are he does come back around week 12-13 and he does get the full RB load. There are just a lot of little blips that can occur along the way that nobody has the answers to. Personally, if you are targeting injured RBs, I'd go after Chubb or Sanders.

I assume high ankle sprains vary in severity, no? I can't imagine his being on the severe side since he returned briefly to start the second half and was also seen walking and celebrating with the team after the game. I know the latter one probably doesn't mean much. 

3 hours ago, cgu112 said:

I'd avoid...can you trust him to stay healthy? And can you trust him not to be in a timeshare upon return? If you have room it's not the worst move. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nb009 said:

I assume high ankle sprains vary in severity, no? I can't imagine his being on the severe side since he returned briefly to start the second half and was also seen walking and celebrating with the team after the game. I know the latter one probably doesn't mean much. 

They do, but I think it's one of those injuries where there's no such thing as a "mild" one. There is a severe one that sidelines you for >6 weeks and might require surgery like with Garoppolo right now, but a high ankle sprain at minimum sidelines guys for 4 weeks. They can come back at 4-5 weeks, but they normally don't look the same for a few more weeks after. This is likely why the Panthers held out CMC for 7+ weeks now.

Edited by harck
  • Like 1

Is Raheem "the guy" for SF in 2021? Trying to assess his keeper/dynasty value.

Edited by vercrazy

Why is anyone talking about the season being done for them? They're one game out right now. And Chicago is a facade so SF is very much in the thick of things

14 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Why is anyone talking about the season being done for them? They're one game out right now. And Chicago is a facade so SF is very much in the thick of things

Probably because most are forgetting the new playoff structure, even though they're 4-4 they're 3 games and a tiebreaker behind Seattle and 2 games and a tiebreaker behind Arizona.

Edited by vercrazy

2 hours ago, smetana34 said:

Also I thought hes suppose to be back next week, week 10? If I remember correctly. That would be dumb. Shannan is a good coach and can make do with what he has even if it's crap. They can still make a push

7 hours ago, griffin727 said:

It's unfortunate. If he got a full 16 games I think he'd challenge for a rushing title.

I felt that way going into this years draft.  Have him in 2/3 leagues and don't regret it.

Would not expect him back until after their BYE, so week 12 would be my guess for the earliest. No reason to rush a high ankle sprain; I'm sure they will be extra careful because of Garopollo. Came back early, had to be taken out cause the ankle still bothered him. Came back again, was good for a week, re-injured it the following week, more severely to boot.

Edited by harck

^Agreed, I highly doubt he returns week 10. We've seen from CMC and others that these high ankles can take upwards of 6 weeks. Hoping for Week 12 and that we get a healthy 2 week window to see how he looks before playoffs begin