OrangeCrush

Raheem Mostert 2020 Outlook

12 hours ago, bomont said:

The "pay according to performance" works both ways. Or should

This is the part professional athletes conveniently ignore. Don't remember one player ever giving back money when they don't perform, or even worse, don't play due to injury. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, this guy right here said:

This is the part professional athletes conveniently ignore. Don't remember one player ever giving back money when they don't perform, or even worse, don't play due to injury. 

I also don't remember any team saying to an injured athlete "you know what, you were awesome and got us to the play-offs, but that horrific injury probably ended your career, here's the money you maybe could have got".

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and that works both ways, but the teams usually have a LOT more power than the players.

• Like 1

Just now, Boudewijn said:

I also don't remember any team saying to an injured athlete "you know what, you were awesome and got us to the play-offs, but that horrific injury probably ended your career, here's the money you maybe could have got".

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and that works both ways, but the teams usually have a LOT more power than the players.

Of course. The owners have the power because they make the league possible. Everyone thinks they just sit back and collect off the talent of the players. There is a lot more involved. Plus they are taking huge financial risks. People tend to have no sympathy for those you are rich. I don't really myself, but I do realize the bigger picture.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, this guy right here said:

Plus they are taking huge financial risks.

Ehhh... when's the last time an NFL team lost money?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Ehhh... when's the last time an NFL team lost money?

Hypothetical risk. Businesses aren't guaranteed to succeed. Until......

Collective bargaining agreement. 

Always made me question how much teams actual care about winning. Who cares if you make money regardless.

Edited by this guy right here

Mostert is doing exactly the right thing.  He should threaten to withdraw his services unless and until his highly reasonable demands are met.  $4.5 mullion for a lead running back is peanuts.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Mostert is doing exactly the right thing.  He should threaten to withdraw his services unless and until his highly reasonable demands are met.  $4.5 mullion for a lead running back is peanuts.

For a 27 year old RB with 178 career carries? Let him walk.

Why the hate? He wants money. He is entitled to that after that playoff run

• Like 4

get that money. after all that cash they WASTED on McKinnon and Coleman, this guy deserves a little bump in pay

• Like 1

Mostert has all the right to do what he is doing. he did, after all, run for 200+ yards in a playoff game and lead the nfl in yac last season. It is unfortunate that the niners have paid mckinnon and coleman while mostert was just a 4th stringer while breida was still in the mix and has emerged as their best back. bad luck on both niners and mostert sides. But as 1972Miamidolphins had said, 4.5 mil is better than nothing says 99% of the world.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 12:41 PM, BMcP said:

I don’t think Mostert should be blamed for at least trying to cash in on a breakout season: he’s reaching the end of the line and plays a severely devalued position, and he negotiated that contract back before he was given an opportunity to see what he could do as a key component on offense.  An expansion in responsibility is customarily rewarded with a concomitant increase in salary.  I don’t the Niners will go for it, though they might agree to meet somewhere in the middle as a show of gratitude.

I agree. It’s not like he’s asking elite RB money here. He’s just wanting what the other two guys get, and he’s proven he’s better/healthier than them.  He may not get it, but I don’t fault him for asking.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, larfboy said:

Mostert has all the right to do what he is doing. he did, after all, run for 200+ yards in a playoff game and lead the nfl in yac last season. It is unfortunate that the niners have paid mckinnon and coleman while mostert was just a 4th stringer while breida was still in the mix and has emerged as their best back. bad luck on both niners and mostert sides. But as 1972Miamidolphins had said, 4.5 mil is better than nothing says 99% of the world.

Absolutely nothing to do with his “rights”

It’s about leverage and appearances. Mustard has no leverage- since he just got his contract bumped last season.   GMs HATE agents that constantly hit them up for money.   SF has a litany of players coming up for contract in the next year or so- So you’re screwing with their cap planning.  

To take this beef public and demand a trade after they bumped your salary last season is a real bad look too. It’s one thing to bring your requests to the front office,  and another to air them on Twitter.  Could backfire big time.

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 1

Something people forget is stats aren't the only value a player has to an owner. Stars like Bell, Zeke and MGIII sell jerseys/merch. Mostert isn't moving the needle for anyone that isn't a SF fan.

Asking for a trade? No way he/his agent is that stupid. If he got traded to a team with a poor O-line/offense his career is over. Perhaps even if he went to a good team. SF/ Shanahan is why he puts up numbers. All NFL players are talented. He's good..like all RBs. He needs SF more than they need him.

That being said, nothing wrong for asking for a raise. Would be nice to see if they show appreciation. Not so much for his skill but for how they view him as a person because that would be IMO.

I do not blame him for asking. I can also see 49ers saying well we will just chance it on udfa we brought in and give them touches if u rather sit at home. I have a few mostert shares as my rb2 so i hope he shows up. If he goet 260 rb touches i think he will be a top 12 fantasy rb. Or he could be in a 3 way time share with 2 others and only get 180 touches and be useful for 5 random weeks. PRob an avoid from here on out for me unless the price was way cheap. 

There's still offseason left to shake out this whole situation, but as things stand now it feels like mostert has a huge range of outcomes. I feel like he could be RB 5-10 or RB 35-40. He put on muscle for a bigger workload which makes me think that shanny told him to expect more carries. On the other hand he request a trade and could be in a 3 way committee worh coleman and mckinnon.

Mostert may be one of the guys who opts out of the 2020 season due to "Covid19" but obviously there are more moving parts at play.  If Mostert gets his raise and reports, he could certainly be quite valuable in fantasy, although he won't be facing the putrid Packers run defense every week.

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Mostert may be one of the guys who opts out of the 2020 season due to "Covid19" but obviously there are more moving parts at play.  If Mostert gets his raise and reports, he could certainly be quite valuable in fantasy, although he won't be facing the putrid Packers run defense every week.

Give me Coleman at a cheaper ADP.   It’s Shanahan so expecting one back to be reliably favored isn’t in the cards

20 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Give me Coleman at a cheaper ADP.   It’s Shanahan so expecting one back to be reliably favored isn’t in the cards

Yep, or even McKinnon in the final rounds or JaMycal Hasty in deep dynasty or final round best ball. Someone is likely to emerge in SF.

• Like 3

You guys are crazy... Mostert is by far the most talented back on that team. He will get 13-18 touches with 1-3 catches every game this year. 

If he can average about 15 touches per game, he will have 240 touches... he will break 1,000 yds rushing and get 8-10 tds. He is a solid rb2 and he will have a handful of week winning games. 

• Like 1

Give me Mustard all day in the 6th or 7th round. I would be completely fine having him and handcuffing with Coleman at his adp later on. I love it when people start taking those rookies ahead of someone who is far more established within his system. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

Give me Mustard all day in the 6th or 7th round. I would be completely fine having him and handcuffing with Coleman at his adp later on. I love it when people start taking those rookies ahead of someone who is far more established within his system. 

Exactly. With Ranch and BBQ in the 1st and 2nd, Mustard in the 6th is a great value.

Edited by SuperSurgeMC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Mostert gets his contract restructured.    The gamble worked-   And I was WRONG lol

good for you Raheem.   

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 5

What he was asking for was very reasonable. It was not as if he was asking for cmac money or even melvin gordon money. I would love 15 rushes and 3 catches per game bu i highly doubt that happns. He had 1 long catch last year vs the saints and the rest were nothing. I do not recall them ever giving him much chances in the passing game though.Tevin coleman will get his 10 touches per game and be a rb3 if you are in a 12 team league where you start 3 rb a week coleman will be useful. Yes I am in such a league where we start 3 rb a week.

This "pivot to Coleman" news needs to stop, especially by rotoworld. Dude has had his chances over and over and he can never capitalize on them or stay consistent, and his upright style leads to some type of dinging up every year.

Drafting Mostert is a questionable proposition, but the trade of Breida makes it clear Mostert will get some money touches, while being spelled be Coleman on some plays or even some drives. I can see it being a 70-30% drive split. 

• Like 1