Rotoworld.com Forums

Taysom Hill 2020 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[ As mentioned previously, Hill's TE eligibility is a league/platform-specific issue that needs to be discussed in either the Commissioner's Corner or Platform Central thread.  Believe it or not, there are people who just want to discuss his fantasy outlook without arguing about which positional eligibility is correct.  Please help us out here and take those discussions elsewhere. ]

Saints signed QB Taysom Hill to a two-year, $21 million contract. 

Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports the deal includes $16 million guaranteed. Good grief. It is a staggering amount of money for a "quarterback" who attempted six passes last season even as Drew Brees missed five games. Hill handled a modest 46 touches as an offensive weapon. He was efficient both as a runner and receiver, but it is extremely hard to believe the Saints could not receive similar wild cat production from a running back or receiver. Paying Hill this kind of money when he once again will not even be Brees' official backup — Jameis Winston is poised to sign — is frankly ludicrous. It almost has to hint at an expanded role for 2020. Coach Sean Payton is one of the NFL's top minds, but he is really out there with this one.  

Apr 26, 2020, 12:08 PM ET

Hy0k9bs.jpg
  • Like 2
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

taysom hill owners once their fellow league managers see him slotted into the TE position  

I really like his matchup this weekend, Atlanta is last in the league against TE's, so I'm expecting a pretty big game.  

Posted Images

The only thing I can logically conclude is that Hill has some sort of role in strategy and game planning for them that is invaluable.

Because nothing about his production in the past or his role in the future suggests he is worth that kind of money on the field.

• Like 1

He is their QB of the future, so the deal makes sense to keep him around. Payton has stated on numerous occasions over multiple seasons that Hill is the guy, but people just don't want to believe it for some reason.

11 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

He is their QB of the future, so the deal makes sense to keep him around. Payton has stated on numerous occasions over multiple seasons that Hill is the guy, but people just don't want to believe it for some reason.

Could have something to do with the fact that Teddy Bridgewater started the five games that Brees was hurt last year and now they might sign Jameis.

1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Could have something to do with the fact that Teddy Bridgewater started the five games that Brees was hurt last year and now they might sign Jameis.

They just let Teddy walk, despite him being younger than Hill and needing a Brees replacement very soon, and gave Hill more money than what they gave Bridgewater. Currently, the system is built around Brees, with small packages installed for Hill. As soon as Brees is done, however, the current system will be scrapped and they will install an entirely new system around Hill's duel threat abilities. They need a 3rd QB option to directly backup Brees right now because there isn't enough time in the day to adequately prepare an offense to function under full capacity with two entirely different styles of play. There is a reason why other QBs are coming in and out, but Hill stays right where he is. They will not be in position to draft a top QB prospect anytime soon, and the roster is built to continue winning even after Brees retires, so Hill will be the guy.

41 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

In 2 seasons he only has 13 pass attempts and even on those 13 he can't get over 50% completion. Mind you, these tend to be gimmick plays designed to be easy completions. Even if you look at some of his completions they're underwhelming like his bomb against the Vikings where he had an easy TD but he under threw it. The guy was so open that it was still a completion. 

I wonder why people don't want to believe it... They're still looking to sign a backup to replace Bridgewater because everyone knows he's not a QB. He's a gimmick player. His final season in college he had 12 TDs and 11 INT playing against a joke schedule. 

Dudes really one of the most overrated players in the NFL. I don't get the obsession some "analysts" have with him. You can take a bunch of other players and they will do the exact same thing. He's basically Tim Tebow if Tebow would be willing to not just play QB but even worse. 

Career Passing Stats: 

Player 1:
7 completions on 8 attempts
233 yards, 4 TDs
158.3 QB rating

Player 2:
6 completions on 13 attempts
119 yards, 0 TDs, 1 Int
46.6 QB rating

(Player 1 is Mohamed Sanu. Player 2 is Taysom Hill)

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, goke said:

Career Passing Stats: 

Player 1:
233 yards, 4 TDs
158.3 QB rating

Player 2:
119 yards, 0 TDs, 1 Int
46.6 QB rating

Wow Sanu should try something he may be actually good at. qb.

12 minutes ago, goke said:

Career Passing Stats: 

Player 1:
233 yards, 4 TDs
158.3 QB rating

Player 2:
119 yards, 0 TDs, 1 Int
46.6 QB rating

sanu on the bengals, perfect 50-yard pass

d32364b587ced5d836a00813f709def1.gif?141

6 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Wow Sanu should try something he may be actually good at. qb.

sanu has a rocket-arm... maybe this is why the belichick passed on a QB in the draft?

is the #12 jersey available on the patriots?

can stidham or hoyer play WR?

wildtd.gif 

$16 million guaranteed for this gadget guy? I think they envision him as a Lamar Jackson type who can also catch and even play special teams. But if he is indeed their QB of the future, he’s not going to be playing a gunner running down on kickoffs. He’s not going to be taking hits over the middle. It’s a staggering amount for a guy who is unproven. But kudos to him, seems like a nice guy, did a Mormon mission, and apparently has a very pregnant and pretty wife.

But as far as fantasy, unless he gets dual (or triple) position availability this year, he is undraftable as a QB in redraft. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sack Exchange said:

sanu on the bengals, perfect 50-yard pass

d32364b587ced5d836a00813f709def1.gif?141

sanu has a rocket-arm... maybe this is why the belichick passed on a QB in the draft?

is the #12 jersey available on the patriots?

can stidham or hoyer play WR?

wildtd.gif 

Both those throws are better than anything Hill has thrown in the NFL

• Like 1
3 hours ago, MJJ28 said:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/video/watch-every-nfl-pass-from-new-orleans-saints-quarterback-taysom-hill-from-2017-2019/1f5r01u0mvbv61jgkr3cuoy0z5

Watch it. It's painful. Tell me again Hill can be a QB and try to keep a straight face.

tenor.gif

27 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

That pass against the Bengals at 00:34 is so bad...

Only draftable in best ball superflex leagues.

35 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Looked fine for a guy that projects to have running as a significant component of his game. I counted 4 drops, 3 of which were dropped TDs, 1 airmail, 2 completed deep balls, and 1 or 2 underthrown deep passes. He’s a duel threat guy, not Drew Brees. Nobody mistakes Josh Allen, Newton, etc. for being great passers either.

Edited by MJJ28
52 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

Looked fine for a guy that projects to have running as a significant component of his game. I counted 4 drops, 3 of which were dropped TDs, 1 airmail, 2 completed deep balls, and 1 or 2 underthrown deep passes. He’s a duel threat guy, not Drew Brees. Nobody mistakes Josh Allen, Newton, etc. for being great passers either.

Your takes in this thread are amongst the most delusional I’ve seen on this forum and that’s saying a lot. I’m genuinely confused how these conclusions are being done to. There’s literally zero indication that he can at all play QB.

You are right Newton isn’t a great passer. However, the gap between Hill and Newton is like the gap between Newton and 2007 Brady. 

Wow, after watching those clips, I’ve come to the conclusion that he’s got sex tapes of Sean Payton. $16M guaranteed for a guy who threw 6 passes last year and touched the ball 46 times as an “offensive weapon”. Dude must ball out in practice, because I’m just not seeing it. There was the one odd fourth down punt fake where he threw deep and missed. Was the other tea really thinking that Human Multitool could punt the ball too? If the Saints like him and want to utilize his multiple skills, fine, so so. But is he worth $16M? He’s probably being paid more than most of the team, yet is on the field the least. 

If Lamar Jackson landed somewhere as a backup, and hadn't started a game yet, is Taysom Hill even getting that RFA tender?  I recall in the early 00's, everyone chased the next Vick. Even years later you still saw guys like Pat White getting drafted high. This reeks of that, and I think plenty of others are gonna make a lot of money coming out of college because they kinda sorta remind a GM of Lamar. 

3 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Your takes in this thread are amongst the most delusional I’ve seen on this forum and that’s saying a lot. I’m genuinely confused how these conclusions are being done to. There’s literally zero indication that he can at all play QB.

You are right Newton isn’t a great passer. However, the gap between Hill and Newton is like the gap between Newton and 2007 Brady. 

i’m just going with the info available. Really couldn’t care less about Hill or the Saints, as I’m a non-mormon Rams fan born and raised in SoCal. Sean Payton has repeatedly stated he is the QB of the future over the past few years, and their actions align with the statements, so there really isn’t much reason for me to think otherwise. I guess if you want to conjure up some imaginary take that doesn’t align with reality, that’s cool. It’s not like I expect Hill to be the next big thing or anything.

Edited by MJJ28
8 hours ago, MJJ28 said:

He'll be 30 in August. How is Hill the QB of the future? Isn't a "QB of the future" generally a younger guy? Lol. 

5 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

He'll be 30 in August. How is Hill the QB of the future? Isn't a "QB of the future" generally a younger guy? Lol. 

He could have another 10-12 years left with the age QBs are playing to these days. Yes, “QBs of the future” are generally younger guys.