thebadferret

Mike Gesicki 2020 Outlook

I'm intrigued by the tout.

I'm of the mindset that given the medical clearances and what he showed us on tape, Tua's healed up well.

That said so much of this TE game can be about rapport with a QB.

Like Gesicki a lot nice up & coming TE with upside. 

• Thanks 1

I am targeting him for a late pick steal.

He picked up snaps as 2019 went on.  Without any changes, I see him improving on last years line of 571 yards / 5 TD's

I see him with 850 and / 8 TD's.  Yes, that is real TE 1 stats.

• Like 2

Why take a TE early when you can get guys like Gesicki, Hurst & Fant late.

Gesicki should be really good with either Fitz or Tua

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sivaro said:

I am targeting him for a late pick steal.

He picked up snaps as 2019 went on.  Without any changes, I see him improving on last years line of 571 yards / 5 TD's

I see him with 850 and / 8 TD's.  Yes, that is real TE 1 stats.

This is right about where I see him as well: TE stats with a late pick!  He will be on a lot of my teams

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BleachyBlonde said:

Look Out!!! With what the Dolphins have done in the draft this guy is going to have a great season ahead.

I guess the better O-line will free him up a bit more from blocking duties, that's what you mean? 

In general he was already the #2 receiver on the Dolphins with 89 targets. That could of course increase more to the Kelce/Kittle/Ertz level (100+).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BleachyBlonde said:

Look Out!!! With what the Dolphins have done in the draft this guy is going to have a great season ahead.

I believe you should target him early... like late second round.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I couldn't figure out how to pull in a quote from a different thread, but below is a post I made at the end of last season in the Gesicki 2019 thread. With no receiving weapons added in the draft, and Tua as the long-term QB1 in Miami, I think Gesicki is a clear upgrade for 2020 and moving forward. I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic and stick with that baseline projection of 60/675//7, but I think that is even more likely than it appeared last December, and he may surpass that with ease. 

mjb03003

This guy has turned into quite a weapon. 6'6" and he can go up and get it. Like so many of the new breed of "TE,"  he looks like an oversized WR out there. Fitzpatrick has unlocked his potential, now we just hold our breath and see what happens to the Miami QB situation. Fitzpatrick played pretty well, but everyone knows he's not a long-term solution and he plays his best ball when the stakes are low and he can just sling it around. 

At the very least, Gesicki seems like a decent bet for a 60 reception, 675 yard, 7 TD season in 2020. 

• Thanks 1

Love that the Dolphins did not take a WR high. Not saying he will produce similar numbers but kind of reminds me of Mark Andrews preseason in 2019 with how he came on strong at the end of the year

Freak athlete in his 3rd season, on what should be an improving offense. I'll grab shares everywhere I can.

• Like 1

78% lined up in the slot or out wide for the last seven games of 2019?  Well dang.  Those are pretty sweet berries.  Let's just hope Gesicki does not lose TE eligibility.

And btw I love the fact that he put the dagger in the Patriot's heart during their must-win week 17 game.

On 5/1/2020 at 10:52 PM, mocha4313 said:

Love that the Dolphins did not take a WR high. Not saying he will produce similar numbers but kind of reminds me of Mark Andrews preseason in 2019 with how he came on strong at the end of the year

Bingo.

I hate seeing my ace in the hole late draft picks going up in ADP.   But, I guess it was bound to happen.

Posted (edited)

I’ll do my part to drive down his price, then: Chad O’Shea is out and Chan Gailey is now in at OC.  He’s not only a run-first coach, he’s historically never relied heavily on TEs in his systems.  Now Gesicki is too talented to be ignored, particularly after his late-2019 breakout, but he may not see quite the level of usage or target consistency we owners got used to enjoying down the stretch last season.

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

78% lined up in the slot or out wide for the last seven games of 2019?  Well dang.  Those are pretty sweet berries.  Let's just hope Gesicki does not lose TE eligibility.

And btw I love the fact that he put the dagger in the Patriot's heart during their must-win week 17 game.

:) love the hate

But not going to lie, it opened my eyes up even more to the talent

• Thanks 1

Mike and Johnu Smith, I’m grabbing both these dudes wherever possible. Nice last round picks with great upside. You’re guaranteed a top10 TE

• Like 2

Chan Gaily is horrific for TEs...

Hmmm.  Not good.  But I guess if they use Gesicki more like a WR it could be okay.

4 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Chan Gaily is horrific for TEs...

Hmmm.  Not good.  But I guess if they use Gesicki more like a WR it could be okay.

As long as we (I) get your seal of approval then it must be safe to draft this guy.

20 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

As long as we (I) get your seal of approval then it must be safe to draft this guy.

Har har.  But it depends on the price.  The fantasy world learned (I already knew) how important an offensive system can be for a TE's usage and numbers last year with the OJ Howard / Bruce Arians fiasco.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Har har.  But it depends on the price.  The fantasy world learned (I already knew) how important an offensive system can be for a TE's usage and numbers last year with the OJ Howard / Bruce Arians fiasco.

It can, but Howard legitimately was bad last year even aside from Arians not wanting to use him. Drops, fumbles, missed blocking assignments--he is talented but did not play well last year.  The Dolphins' lack of WR depth gives me hope that they will have to use Gesicki--unless he regresses like Howard did I guess

Edited by mocha4313
  • Like 1

Certainly on board, but will need to see where his adp ends up. Much better TE options this year than last