turner46

2020 Team Defenses Discussion

Recommended Posts

Usually this thread is started after the schedule is released but that isn't for another week and a half and I just completed my first dynasty rookie draft (love dynasty now) so am eying a few defenses.

Philadelphia added Darrius Slay and Rodney Mcleod and at least 1 expert at fantasy pros has them ranked 1.

Indianapolis added Deforest Buckner and Xavier Rhodes

Cleveland added new defensive coordinator Joe Woods and the DLine looks strong and drafted a safety and signed former 1st round safety Karl Joseph.

Minnesota lost pieces but year in year out are strong finished 6th last year

Dallas and Green Bay for no other reason then they are #1 and #3 available by ADP at Sleeper.

I generally stream defenses and probably will again but seeing as these defenses are all possibly free right now does anyone see a 2019 49ers, 2018 Bears, 2017 Jags etc... level jump here or have a favorite breakout defense candidate???

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ravens adding Calais Campbell has to be a boon with their secondary.

43 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

Denver

Casey!!

I kinda like Dallas as a sleeper.  The D-Line has some major potential adding Poe, McCoy, and who knows what they get out of Aldon Smith and Randy Gregory along with Lawrence.  LB play may not matter so much with as much nickel as is being played but they got three good ones, plus HaHa and now Diggs in the secondary.  Losing Murphy will hurt though for sure.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, The 7th Beatles said:

With a healthy Derwin James returning I like the Chargers this year.

Interesting group for sure.  Murray looks like a player.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The 7th Beatles said:

With a healthy Derwin James returning I like the Chargers this year.

This ^

 

I also wouldn't sleep on the Bills. They were solid last year and honestly, probably got better by grabbing AJ Epenesa and Mario Addison to bolster the d-line. Linebacker is really the only questionable area while the secondary remains the strength. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also look in divisions when picking a defense. Bills probably have the best case for "set and forget" with 6 divisional games against weak opponents; Jets will still be a shambles, Miami are rebuilding, and Pats will be a shell of themselves. Nobody is going to want to play in Buffalo in winter.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I think is a near lock, the Pat's D/ST will be over drafted in a lot of leagues based on last year's results in spite of the attrition at LB.

And I also probably won't go out of my way for the Niners less Buckner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, turner46 said:

Indianapolis added Deforest Buckner and Xavier Rhodes

... does anyone see a 2019 49ers, 2018 Bears, 2017 Jags etc... level jump here or have a favorite breakout defense candidate???

 

rhodes rhots... he is no longer a threat, hence the viking dumpage.

for a jump in level, a breakout, absolutely undeniably the clearest jump, heretofore unmentioned within this thread, is washington.

they have done a great job at putting this together, and the addition of chase young and a healthy reuben foster seals the deal.

foster is a menace:

8GBb.gif

chase young is an assassin

young-sack-week-2.gif

montez sweat is relentless

SameOblongFritillarybutterfly-max-1mb.gi

matt ioannidis is entirely underrated. i apologize for the quality of this image, but watching ioannidis floor zeke was embarrassing to the entire city of dallas:

6e13473938c01491-822x617.png?crop=4:3&wi

this guy is ok too:

nhrpqpamhh4pnl2kx6qc

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

for a jump in level, a breakout, absolutely undeniably the clearest jump, heretofore unmentioned within this thread, is washington.

Yeah I'd agree that if Young is as advertised, they will menace some teams this year.

My only caveat with Washington - and this is based on no data whatsoever - is the idea in my head that a good offense helps a good defense become great by applying scoreboard pressure. We saw that last year with for instance Baltimore who, despite having a JAG-level linebacker and pass rushing corps, inflicted turnover misery on teams trailing 2-3 scores. I don't know that Washington have the same security on offense to run up a score that the defense can "tee off" in the 2nd half of games. But like I said, all one man's opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's nearly impossible before the season to assess which defense is good fantasy-wise, especially because the special teams play a large role.

This is something that's really hard to predict, and it is also something that often develops during the season, For instance, Belichicks D/ST ALWAYS performs better towards the end. Just grab whatever is left, then reassess after 4 weeks, etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

Homer pick, but miami may be halfway decent on paper, good last pick of the draft, division is open for competition this season

The 2025 super bowl champs are sleepers on defense this year.

Get to play Allen, Darnold, and whoever the Patriots roll out with a very good secondary 6x a year. Allen and Darnold have a potentially bright future but they’re crazy prone to mistakes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sack Exchange said:

 

rhodes rhots... he is no longer a threat, hence the viking dumpage.

for a jump in level, a breakout, absolutely undeniably the clearest jump, heretofore unmentioned within this thread, is washington.

they have done a great job at putting this together, and the addition of chase young and a healthy reuben foster seals the deal.

foster is a menace:

8GBb.gif

chase young is an assassin

young-sack-week-2.gif

montez sweat is relentless

SameOblongFritillarybutterfly-max-1mb.gi

matt ioannidis is entirely underrated. i apologize for the quality of this image, but watching ioannidis floor zeke was embarrassing to the entire city of dallas:

6e13473938c01491-822x617.png?crop=4:3&wi

this guy is ok too:

nhrpqpamhh4pnl2kx6qc

 

 

 

Their offense is still the worst in the league unfortunately.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seattle has a good chance to surprise a lot of people this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Sivaro said:

Seattle has a good chance to surprise a lot of people this year.

As it stands no they don't.

Their defensive line is...bad. I would go as far as to say REALLY bad. It was bad last year and as it stands it is worse. You aren't getting anywhere with a bad defensive line. Irvin, Collier, Taylor, Ford, Reed, and Mayowa are not it. None of these guys require even a remote double team.

Now, if they resign Clowney (which I still think there's a good chance they do) or get a guy like Griffen we can start to talk about them surprising teams. I wouldn't call it an overstatement at all that one of those guys is the difference between them being a dark horse and a legit contender. While neither are top tier DEs they're good enough to demand double teams and make the D-line serviceable and better than last year. I do like how the rest of the defense is shaping up to be though: fast. This is clearly the tone Carroll is going for now with the drafting of Brooks, Blair due for a bigger role (hopefully), trade for Dunbar, picking up Jayson Stanley, and various other moves they've done. The problem is as of now the defensive line is so bad that it doesn't matter when the most important unit on defense is one of the worst in the league. They don't have a single player on the line that I would consider "very good." Average at best or maybe slightly above average for 1 or 2 dudes. 

So yeah it's a wait and see. They clearly made cap space for a reason. If they can someone land Clowney or Griffen AND Harrison or Daniels then yes. There's a very good chance this defense can produce as a top 3 defense. As of now i'd put them where they were last year. Near the bottom. Everything is coming together nicely except that horrible defensive line. 

Edited by Gohawks
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DoYourJob said:

This ^

 

I also wouldn't sleep on the Bills. They were solid last year and honestly, probably got better by grabbing AJ Epenesa and Mario Addison to bolster the d-line. Linebacker is really the only questionable area while the secondary remains the strength. 

 

Disagree with the LB quib here as a Bills fan. Edmunds is an athletic freak coming off a pro bowl season as a 20 year old, his upside is limitless. Milano is criminally underrated and is one of the premier coverage LB's in football, together they make up a very strong unit. Adding Epenesa, Addison, Q. Jefferson to the D line with Ed Oliver ready to break out will be an improvement upon last year's D Line.

 

The only downside with the Bills is they play the NFC West, the best offensive division in football, and the AFC West which could be strong too. Playing 6 games against the Dolphins/Jets/Pats may offset any tougher matchups, though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gohawks said:

As it stands no they don't.

Their defensive line is...bad. I would go as far as to say REALLY bad. It was bad last year and as it stands it is worse. You aren't getting anywhere with a bad defensive line. Irvin, Collier, Taylor, Ford, Reed, and Mayowa are not it. None of these guys require even a remote double team.

Now, if they resign Clowney (which I still think there's a good chance they do) or get a guy like Griffen we can start to talk about them surprising teams. I wouldn't call it an overstatement at all that one of those guys is the difference between them being a dark horse and a legit contender. While neither are top tier DEs they're good enough to demand double teams and make the D-line serviceable and better than last year. I do like how the rest of the defense is shaping up to be though: fast. This is clearly the tone Carroll is going for now with the drafting of Brooks, Blair due for a bigger role (hopefully), trade for Dunbar, picking up Jayson Stanley, and various other moves they've done. The problem is as of now the defensive line is so bad that it doesn't matter when the most important unit on defense is one of the worst in the league. They don't have a single player on the line that I would consider "very good." Average at best or maybe slightly above average for 1 or 2 dudes. 

So yeah it's a wait and see. They clearly made cap space for a reason. If they can someone land Clowney or Griffen AND Harrison or Daniels then yes. There's a very good chance this defense can produce as a top 3 defense. As of now i'd put them where they were last year. Near the bottom. Everything is coming together nicely except that horrible defensive line. 

Didn’t read anything into Reed taking back #90?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BMcP said:

Didn’t read anything into Reed taking back #90?

I don’t think it means much. The numbers available so he took it. I’m sure if Clowney resigns he may get it back.

I think Clowney wants to get physicals done with some other teams but from reports Seattle has the highest offer. Maybe if a team like the Titans can test him and find out he’s healthy they’ll pay up but who knows? However, I highly doubt Seattle would get rid of a quality lineman like Fluker if they don’t plan to make serious moves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Olliemets said:

 

Disagree with the LB quib here as a Bills fan. Edmunds is an athletic freak coming off a pro bowl season as a 20 year old, his upside is limitless. Milano is criminally underrated and is one of the premier coverage LB's in football, together they make up a very strong unit. Adding Epenesa, Addison, Q. Jefferson to the D line with Ed Oliver ready to break out will be an improvement upon last year's D Line.

 

The only downside with the Bills is they play the NFC West, the best offensive division in football, and the AFC West which could be strong too. Playing 6 games against the Dolphins/Jets/Pats may offset any tougher matchups, though.

Maybe I'm just overplaying the loss of Lorenzo Alexander. His retirement has left a void to be filled at OLB. Whenever I caught a Bills game, it was easy to tell that Alexander was the heart and leader of that defense. As a Bills fan though you'd probably know better than me if he was as vital as I'm make him out to be. 

 

I expect linebacker to be a solid group for them next season, but I personally think the stronger D-Line and the secondary (which also added Norman to help out as well) will be what makes the defense really, really good. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Expect the Chicago Bears DST to rise back up to their cream of the crop 2018 level once again this season.

Robert Quinn replaces the ineffective Leonard Floyd on the the edge. Not only is Quinn a clear upgrade over Floyd, but his presence commands attention, which means teams will have to be more judicious with their use of resources on attention paid to Khalil Mack on the other side.

Furthermore, the same effect rings true with Aikem Hicks....only to an even greater extent than it does with Quinn. Hicks, if you recall, is an all-in-out stud who missed the majority of the 2019 season. His presence on the D-line was sorely missed last season. Hicks is a huge difference-maker, not only in terms of his production, but just as will be the case with Quinn, is demands loads of attention. You can't double team all these guys; something has to give.

And then lastly, expect for Nick Foles for to take grab a firm hold on the starting QB position, likely from the get-go. Mitch Trubisky couldn't sustain drives. Dude couldn't make throws and couldn't move the football. He was the primary culprit for keeping the Bears D gassed, game after game, all season long (albeit, to be fair, head coach Matt Nagy and his dumb-a** visor that rests on that shiny dome of his ain't no slouch in that department either, and he's still around). Now, to be sure, it's not like Nick Foles is some world-beater, but he doesn't has to be. What Foles is, is a quarterback who is significantly more adroit at the QB position and at captaining an NFL offense under center than Mitch Trubisky.

And the relevancy of this as it pertains to how it affects the defense is....well, as mentioned in previous posts within this thread, the more competent the team is on offense, the greater the opportunities are for the defense to get aggressive and tee-off on opposing offenses, the greater the opportunity for defense to rack up sacks and turnovers.

 

TLDR:  Provided that the Bears stay relatively healthy on the defensive front in 2020, they should return to a level that resembles something on par with their elite 2018 production

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

It's nearly impossible before the season to assess which defense is good fantasy-wise, especially because the special teams play a large role.

This is something that's really hard to predict, and it is also something that often develops during the season, For instance, Belichicks D/ST ALWAYS performs better towards the end. Just grab whatever is left, then reassess after 4 weeks, etc.

I agree with this, although threads like these help me develop a list of teams that are performing well through September and say, "oh yeah, that makes sense, they added X guy" for what could potentially be sustainable thereafter.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2020 at 8:34 PM, Sack Exchange said:

 

rhodes rhots... he is no longer a threat, hence the viking dumpage.

for a jump in level, a breakout, absolutely undeniably the clearest jump, heretofore unmentioned within this thread, is washington.

they have done a great job at putting this together, and the addition of chase young and a healthy reuben foster seals the deal.

foster is a menace:

8GBb.gif

chase young is an assassin

young-sack-week-2.gif

montez sweat is relentless

SameOblongFritillarybutterfly-max-1mb.gi

matt ioannidis is entirely underrated. i apologize for the quality of this image, but watching ioannidis floor zeke was embarrassing to the entire city of dallas:

6e13473938c01491-822x617.png?crop=4:3&wi

this guy is ok too:

nhrpqpamhh4pnl2kx6qc

 

 

In addition, Ron Rivera is also one of the best defensive minds in the league.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Patriots D still looks like a solid choice to me.   Just gotta bench em if they're facing Fitzmagic again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.