turner46

2020 Team Defenses Discussion

1 hour ago, BrianM said:

Patriots D still looks like a solid choice to me.   Just gotta bench em if they're facing Fitzmagic again

Shhhh....

11 hours ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

Shhhh....

Stop giving away these sleeper defense picks!

• Haha 1

I like to stream the D position, so when drafting I like to look at the first few games.

Kansas City: Home week 1 against the Texans, and then @ LA Chargers who will have Tyrod or herbert at QB.

Baltimore: Home against Cleveland, @ Houston Texans week 2.

Buffalo: Home against NYJ, and then @ Miami

Indianapolis: @ Jacksonville, home against Minnesota (kind of tough match up), and then home against NYJ.

Pittsburgh: @ NY Giants, home against Denver, home against Houston

You'll most likely have to pay a premium for Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Buffalo - they're currently #2, #3, and #4 ranked defense on FantasyPros.

Kansas City and Indy could make decent stream options to start the year if you like to wait on defense.  KC currently ranked #9 on FP and Indy #17 so you can grab KC towards the end of the draft, and Indy might not even get drafted.

A few others with low rankings that I like:

Tennessee: Talent all over their defense.  4 out of the first 6 games are at home.  Road games are against Denver and Minny - not crazy daunting match-ups. Play the Texans, Bills, Steelers and Jags at home.  I think that's a pretty attractive 6 game opener.  Might need another option when they play the Colts and Ravens, but then they get a stretch against Cleveland, Jacksonville, and Detroit.  

Dallas: Might need a stream option for the first few weeks (Rams, Falcons, Seahawks), but they get Cleveland, NYG, and AZ all at home weeks 4-6 - should be favored in each game.  

Deep Sleepers:

Washington: Might have one of the best front 4s in the game.  Decent start to the season, home against Philly, @ Arizona, and @ Cleveland.  They'll probably get dropped when they play Baltimore and LA Rams weeks 4-5.  They get a nice stretch Weeks 8-10 - home against NYG, @ Detroit, and home against Cincy.

Carolina: Pretty nice schedule to open the season - home against LV, @ Tampa Bay (tough game), @ LA Chargers, home against AZ.  They also get to play the Bears, Lions, Broncos, and Redskins.  Probably won't go out of my way to target them, but they've added tons of talent to the defense and the clock control/running style Rhule brings to the team could help the defense and keep games low scoring.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Seahawks defense ******** sucks now.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

...they used a first-round pick on Jordyn.  Brooks.

So...they’ve got that going for them?

Edited by BMcP

D/ST's I would take a round early than normal:

Buffalo, solid unit / depth; easy sched

Balt, scary good

Bears, dominant starting unit; lacks depth

Denver, 2nd year under fangio, solid starting unit

47 minutes ago, ChiSox1390 said:

Why so much love for the Patriots D? Nothing special IMO

They did a good job in the draft supplementing with Uche and Dugger.  They also still have the McCs and Gilmore.  Copeland in FA offers versatility.  Plus, they still play in the AFC East.  They should remain solid, at least.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, ChiSox1390 said:

Why so much love for the Patriots D? Nothing special IMO

Because they outscored all other defenses by 50 points in 2019. That's more than the difference between Michael Thomas and Cooper Kupp, or between Kelce and Hooper.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/reports/leaders/dst.php?year=2019

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Because they outscored all other defenses by 50 points in 2019. That's more than the difference between Michael Thomas and Cooper Kupp, or between Kelce and Hooper.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/reports/leaders/dst.php?year=2019

They lost Van Noy, Jamie Collins, Danny Shelton, Elandon Roberts... the McCs and Hightower are 30+, Bills, Jets, Fins all upgraded their Offense, Pats seem to have a questionable Offense to say the least.... recipe for disaster 

7 minutes ago, ChiSox1390 said:

They lost Van Noy, Jamie Collins, Danny Shelton, Elandon Roberts... the McCs and Hightower are 30+, Bills, Jets, Fins all upgraded their Offense, Pats seem to have a questionable Offense to say the least.... recipe for disaster 

I didn't say they'll do it again - that rarely happens. I just explain why people like them so much in the rankings. They'll be gone in each draft by round 10.

6 hours ago, ChiSox1390 said:

I hear you - but I doubt there is anyone better in the biz at scheming up defensive talent than BB.  They might be somewhat over-priced at the moment, but they still remain a solid pick.  Darnold and Allen still provide plenty of TO opportunities, and if Fitzmagic is still YOLO’ing it this season, that helps, too.

1st half of the 2019 season....... PATS D was head and shoulders above everyone. Last half, middle of the pack. Without Brady and without a "dominant" D,  I'll be letting someone else draft them. Coach Bill can't tackle on the field. 

• Like 1

Eagles showing interest in J Clowney.

Might help bring them back into respectable consideration.

Anything but streaming defenses is a waste of time. I like Eagles or Colts as targets for week 1 with Bengals as a fall back option.

If you stream defenses you can get a “top 5 defense”. 

On 5/16/2020 at 3:30 PM, BMcP said:

I hear you - but I doubt there is anyone better in the biz at scheming up defensive talent than BB.  They might be somewhat over-priced at the moment, but they still remain a solid pick.  Darnold and Allen still provide plenty of TO opportunities, and if Fitzmagic is still YOLO’ing it this season, that helps, too.

Any defense not going in the last two rounds is over priced. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone else use non-standard DST scorings? Our league this year is shifting to a format similar to the "vanilla" explained in this article which puts less of an emphasis on points allowed, and more on plays a defense creates such as blocked punts etc which affect a game more:

https://draftysports.com/news/you-deserve-better-defense-scoring

TL;DR Enable D/ST to score points like other positions: starting at zero and trending positive throughout a game, instead of starting with 10 and teetering, while also rewarding defenses for real achievements that are often overlooked.

Scoring Settings

Basic settings:
+8 points per Kick/Punt Return TD
+6 points per Defensive TD
+4 points per Safety and Conversion Return
+3 points per Blocked Kick (FGs and Punts)
+2 points per Turnover (INTs and FRs)
+1 point per Sack

22 minutes ago, DeliciousGravy said:

Does anyone else use non-standard DST scorings? Our league this year is shifting to a format similar to the "vanilla" explained in this article which puts less of an emphasis on points allowed, and more on plays a defense creates such as blocked punts etc which affect a game more:

https://draftysports.com/news/you-deserve-better-defense-scoring

I have such a league. It depends a bit on what you want to achieve; do you want to introduce a bit more random, or do you want to stay close to how we perceive the game on tv, or do you want to make it so that with studying the teams you can do better?

EG the high points for K/P returns will mostly be felt as random and are hard to predict. Giving points for sacks on the other hand are something where a fantasy owner can benefit from doing a bit more research. In the end though, in my experience, most people feel the most connection with points based on points allowed.

3 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

I have such a league. It depends a bit on what you want to achieve; do you want to introduce a bit more random, or do you want to stay close to how we perceive the game on tv, or do you want to make it so that with studying the teams you can do better?

EG the high points for K/P returns will mostly be felt as random and are hard to predict. Giving points for sacks on the other hand are something where a fantasy owner can benefit from doing a bit more research. In the end though, in my experience, most people feel the most connection with points based on points allowed.

I agree that points allowed is certainly easier to keep track of; as the league becomes more serious I don't mind giving that up for a DST scoring that looks to reward those that have sacks and turnovers despite giving up points (looking at you, Washington 2020 DST). I guess you could say that a defense's primary (only?) job is to stop the other team scoring; where that starts to suck a bit is during a blowout where they're clearly playing prevent defense and happy to give up points and sink your tightly-fought week because they've playing backups v starters. I digress, that is starting to get a bit specific. I do like in the article how the author aims to make the DST not worth anywhere near what a skill-player is; gotta admit it is kinda crushing to beat your opponent across the board but because he has Pats DST v Jets/Dolphins you get smoked.

1 minute ago, DeliciousGravy said:

it is kinda crushing to beat your opponent across the board but because he has Pats DST v Jets/Dolphins you get smoked.

I personally don't care about any of that as long as we're all playing the same rules. It's a betting game - whoever makes the better bets wins, and if it's a D/ST, why not? In reality it's at least 50% of the game.

On 5/17/2020 at 8:02 AM, codog24 said:

1st half of the 2019 season....... PATS D was head and shoulders above everyone. Last half, middle of the pack. Without Brady and without a "dominant" D,  I'll be letting someone else draft them. Coach Bill can't tackle on the field. 

I know right. But they scored better than CMC at the start. 

• Haha 1

On 5/18/2020 at 9:10 AM, Boudewijn said:

I personally don't care about any of that as long as we're all playing the same rules. It's a betting game - whoever makes the better bets wins, and if it's a D/ST, why not? In reality it's at least 50% of the game.

On the other hand, f--- kickers.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

I know right. But they scored better than CMC at the start. 

That they did. :)

Colts defense is going to be this year's 49ers-style pickup

Redskins will be a diet version of them if you miss out on the Colts

Patriots are going to regress hard. Now they face a real schedule

• Like 1