turner46

2020 Team Defenses Discussion

On 5/21/2020 at 3:25 AM, mocha4313 said:

The weak division part was said in the context of the Redskins being a dark horse playoff team under the right circumstances. I consider the teams in that division weak--not necessarily the offenses. Actually I think all offenses besides the Redskins will be exciting. Wouldn't even shock me if the Giants pulled out the division at 9-7 or something

As for another pick, it is good to go in with a shortlist of non-elite (by ADP) options. I wanted the Bills last year in my dynasty league but got sniped and had to roll with the Browns until getting lucky with fliers on the 49ers and Steelers after the Minkah deal.

As for dark horse ones, I like the Bucs a lot talent wise. Solid front 7 with an elite run D and the sack king from last year AND the secondary showed improvement towards the end of last year. It seems trendy right now to hate on the Bucs and say they'll be average/bad, but the team looks extremely talented to me on both sides of the ball (except maybe O line).

For the sake of their defense though, Todd Bowles is a quality mind and great for fantasy purposes with his aggressiveness and focus on turnovers/sacks

It also can't hurt that they won't have Winston chucking them into awful field position.

Only issue is a tricky strength of schedule. Most breakout defenses usually do so in large part because of a soft schedule

Sharing a brain between Colts, Redskins, and Bucs with same reasons on all.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dschddny said:

Thoughts?  I know you don't want to reach on a D but is Baltimore a can't miss D?

No such thing as a "can't miss D".  Look at the Bears last year for the most recent example.  I won't ever spend a high draft pick again on a defense.  Pick one in the double digit rounds, if you get lucky, sure.  In a 14 team league, that means there are 18 other defenses that people don't start the season with, unless you have some nuts that roster 2 defenses from the very beginning.  Just be ready to pounce on a D that looks like it's jelling early in the season and you might have the year's version of 2019 Pats, 2018 Bears, etc.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CooL said:

No such thing as a "can't miss D".  Look at the Bears last year for the most recent example.  I won't ever spend a high draft pick again on a defense.  Pick one in the double digit rounds, if you get lucky, sure.  In a 14 team league, that means there are 18 other defenses that people don't start the season with, unless you have some nuts that roster 2 defenses from the very beginning.  Just be ready to pounce on a D that looks like it's jelling early in the season and you might have the year's version of 2019 Pats, 2018 Bears, etc.

Bears D busted because their offense was dreadful and their turnover rate regressed significantly. I dont see that happening with the Ravens barring a Lamar injury. 

Edited by Evincar

1 hour ago, Evincar said:

Bears D busted because their offense was dreadful and their turnover rate regressed significantly. I dont see that happening with the Ravens barring a Lamar injury. 

Also Akiem (on phone so maybe misspelled) Hicks who got hurt allowing constant double teaming of Mack. Hicks return to health and I hope I have the right end rusher they brought in (Robert Quinn) should help them quite a bit.

• Like 1

I can’t believe the PIT DST is not getting love in here. They were a huge pickup last year. I can’t say I follow them closely, but I don’t think they had any major losses in the offseason and if BB is healthy, I think that is huge for them to have some leads and be able to pin their ears back and rush to create sacks and turnovers. 

Am I missing something?

5 minutes ago, vikesrube said:

I can’t believe the PIT DST is not getting love in here. They were a huge pickup last year. I can’t say I follow them closely, but I don’t think they had any major losses in the offseason and if BB is healthy, I think that is huge for them to have some leads and be able to pin their ears back and rush to create sacks and turnovers. 

Am I missing something?

no, you are not. 

Minkah Fitzgerald and the Watt kid are legit playmakers - splash points (sacks, picks, TDs) are their calling card. 

they are legit in both real life AND magick tackle foosball. 

scoop 'em, gents. 

points is points. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

no, you are not. 

Minkah Fitzgerald and the Watt kid are legit playmakers - splash points (sacks, picks, TDs) are their calling card. 

they are legit in both real life AND magick tackle foosball. 

scoop 'em, gents. 

points is points. 

Fitzpatrick was Mr. pick 6 in college. He is gonna be a monster in IDP when he gets those tackle numbers a little higher.

For real life the Pitt defense is loaded with playmakers. TJ Watt is legit, Fitzpatrick is as close a legit playmaker. Cam heyward is elite. Edmunds the SS is very good. Lots to like about Pitt defense as usual.

Other team defenses that I think could break out this year is Tennessee, Indianapolis, Miami, Denver, Oakland.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/21/2020 at 2:42 AM, mocha4313 said:

Colts defense is going to be this year's 49ers-style pickup

Redskins will be a diet version of them if you miss out on the Colts

Patriots are going to regress hard. Now they face a real schedule

As Colts fan I wasn't sure if i was just being a homer. Between the trade for Bukner and hopefully a rejuvinated Xavier Rhodes playing for his og minnie cb coach plus the return of Kemeko turay im pretty excited. If i dont try and snag the Ravens i'll most likely wait till the last rnd and snag da Colts!

11 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Fitzpatrick was Mr. pick 6 in college. He is gonna be a monster in IDP when he gets those tackle numbers a little higher.

For real life the Pitt defense is loaded with playmakers. TJ Watt is legit, Fitzpatrick is as close a legit playmaker. Cam heyward is elite. Edmunds the SS is very good. Lots to like about Pitt defense as usual.

Other team defenses that I think could break out this year is Tennessee, Indianapolis, Miami, Denver, Oakland.

the Stillers division opponents are tasty for turnovers ... yeah, they'll give up pernts to LJax, and maybe some trouble from the Brownies ... but Baker and LJax will turn it over, and will be sacked ... Cincy? YES, PLZ. 

ditto for the Titans ... Houston will rack up points, but Watson can be sacked (though Tunsil really did shore the protection up) Indy? beastly O-line, but Phil is a cotdamn statue ... and, as much as i love Minshew, the Jags are a definite great matchup for your magick foosball D. 

I had it down to the saints and colts in my last draft and I went with NO. I was one of the last 2 teams to grab a D. Already regret the choice! The division discrepancy should have been the difference for me. 

1 hour ago, dsrich said:

I had it down to the saints and colts in my last draft and I went with NO. I was one of the last 2 teams to grab a D. Already regret the choice! The division discrepancy should have been the difference for me. 

The Saints defense is very good, but the NFC South is very offense-oriented. I would have chosen the Colts, and I say that as a Saints fan. 

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

The Saints defense is very good, but the NFC South is very offense-oriented. I would have chosen the Colts, and I say that as a Saints fan. 

For sure. It was between those 2. Not exactly sure what I was thinking. Nobody knows anything just yet though, that's for sure.