Fort4242

Bryan Edwards 2020 Outlook

Drafted 3.17 by the Las Vegas Raiders.  They added Ruggs in Round 1, and also Lynn Bowden one pick before Edwards.  A broken foot limited his pre-draft workout.  

One thing that stood out to me in a big way was his breakout age.  Not sure if others look at the data on PlayerProfiler - but Edwards has a breakout age of 17.8 which is one of the youngest ages I've ever seen and ranks in the 100% percentile.

Here's an article on how breakout age works:

https://www.pff.com/news/fantasy-football-breakout-age-using-pff-grades-to-identify-potential-breakout-rookie-fantasy-receivers

So not much production in college and no pre-draft workout to go off of, but an extremely high break out age, what are people's thoughts on Edwards?  Great size at 6'3'' 212 and looks to be extremely physical.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was at the South Carolina-Georgia game last season and the guy can play. You could tell he was public enemy number 1 for the UGA defense. He's got the size, consistent production, and has made some incredible grabs. He's not gonna be Ruggs but has decent speed and acceleration as well. He just needs to polish up his game a bit, particularly his route running for the NFL and eliminating the occasional drops. Besides that, he has solid potential and lacks any major flaws.

IMO, he had a good shot to go somewhere in the 2nd round if he didn't have the foot injury and if the WR class wasn't as deep as it was this year.

I'm not sure about his fantasy or on the field production for this upcoming season though, but I wouldn't expect anything big especially when Waller, Ruggs, Tyrell Williams, and Renfrow are gonna get their targets.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fort4242 said:

The source is this:

https://dynastyleaguefootball.com/2018/04/17/wide-receiver-breakout-age-by-draft-round/

That looks like something I need to look into :) Certainly it seems weird that he takes draft round as a potential origin, rather than correcting for it. 

Thanks for providing that link!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fort4242 said:

Drafted 3.17 by the Las Vegas Raiders.  They added Ruggs in Round 1, and also Lynn Bowden one pick before Edwards.  A broken foot limited his pre-draft workout.  

One thing that stood out to me in a big way was his breakout age.  Not sure if others look at the data on PlayerProfiler - but Edwards has a breakout age of 17.8 which is one of the youngest ages I've ever seen and ranks in the 100% percentile.

Here's an article on how breakout age works:

https://www.pff.com/news/fantasy-football-breakout-age-using-pff-grades-to-identify-potential-breakout-rookie-fantasy-receivers

So not much production in college and no pre-draft workout to go off of, but an extremely high break out age, what are people's thoughts on Edwards?  Great size at 6'3'' 212 and looks to be extremely physical.  

It’s tough to say - he’s a non-early-declare with no testing and a poor YPT and career market share of yards - but he really did dominate that offense beginning as a freshman with stand-out measurables.  I’m not particularly high on him mainly due to landing spot - too many mouths to feed ahead of him in the pecking order in Vegas.  But I’d definitely say he’s one to monitor closely - maybe moreso for 2021 purposes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

It’s tough to say - he’s a non-early-declare with no testing and a poor YPT and career market share of yards - but he really did dominate that offense beginning as a freshman with stand-out measurables.  I’m not particularly high on him mainly due to landing spot - too many mouths to feed ahead of him in the pecking order in Vegas.  But I’d definitely say he’s one to monitor closely - maybe moreso for 2021 purposes.

Yeah I like him in dynasty - I virtually see no relevance possibly this year for re-draft.  Williams will save them $11m if he's cut next off-season which makes sense.  So in 2021 we might be looking at Edwards, Ruggs and Renfrow as the starters in 3 WR sets, and since Renfrow is very much a slot guy, I imagine it will be Ruggs and Edwards starting in 2 WR sets.  

I think Edwards is a good not great receiver. Reminds me a lot of Corey Davis.

17 hours ago, paulwall29 said:

I think Edwards is a good not great receiver. Reminds me a lot of Corey Davis.

Wow, that’s messed up. 

• Like 1

He was my draft crush this year. Sucks I have to root against him now but still went into my rookie draft knowing I had to land him one way or another.

Corey Davis isn't the worst comp but I think his separation skills are more refined.

Seems to be a slept on day 2 WR pick most years who flies under the radar and defies expectations (Terry, Kupp, Godwin, Gallup, Lockett)

1 hour ago, mocha4313 said:

Seems to be a slept on day 2 WR pick

Or did they?

https://www.cover1.net/nfl-draft-injury-impact-south-carolina-wr-bryan-edwards/

During his time in Columbia, South Carolina, wide receiver Bryan Edwards set program benchmarks for consecutive games with a catch (48), career receptions (234), and career yards (3,045), and was third overall for receiving touchdowns (22). Edwards eclipsed program greats such as Sidney Rice and Alshon Jeffery on his way to the top of the leader boards. Despite all the successes in college, there are worries about whether Edwards will be able to stay healthy at the next level. A history of lower-body injuries could derail a promising NFL career in the making. Below is a season-by-season recap.

The article is a loooooong list of injuries. I'm generally not a fan of the term "injury-prone" but holy smoke, this guy has so many stitches they should just install some zippers in his legs.

High school
- torn meniscus in his right knee
Freshman season
- hamstring strain 
- sports hernia or core muscle injury
Sophomore season
- shoulder injury in spring practices
Junior season
- ankle sprain 
Senior season
- minor ankle injury 
- left knee injury, knee scope to trim out the meniscus 
- fractured his foot 
The last 2 prevented him from attending the Senior Bowl and the Combine. I can totally see why teams would be a bit careful to sign him up, especially on the first 2 days. He could be a really nice darth throw in dynasty, but not with a high pick.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

He punishes defenders with stiff arms, runs like Terrell Owens bullying people. I like his film but don't think Carr can support 3 fantasy relevant WRs on a weekly basis.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats

Redraft you can’t really bother unless you want to take him instead of a kicker in the final round. I don’t see much if any of a year one impact in Grudens offense.

Dynasty I’m really high on him, reminds me of Godwin while on the field so why not for a late 2nd early third.

• Like 1