BrianM

JuJu Smith-Schuster 2020 Outlook

Jetdog16, I get what you're saying.  That article is dated Last week, unfortunately.  Yes, Pittsburgh won't be blowing out the Titans, so IF Juju is ever going to produce, you'd think Week 7.  It has shootout potential.  Something just seems strange.  Not sure if the knee is anything, or just so many mouths to feed, and the emergence of Claypool.

I mean, it's pretty clear that the Steelers will not be re-signing him after his rookie contract. So why not showcase his talent over the course of the season so he finds a good landing spot? After busting his butt off for the team over the last 3 years and still being so positive towards his team/teammates, thats the least they can do for this guy.

2 minutes ago, jpark211 said:

I mean, it's pretty clear that the Steelers will not be re-signing him after his rookie contract. So why not showcase his talent over the course of the season so he finds a good landing spot? After busting his butt off for the team over the last 3 years and still being so positive towards his team/teammates, thats the least they can do for this guy.

If they don’t plan on signing him, then why showcase him? If they plan to let him walk, they’re concern isn’t a good landing spot for JuJu...it’s getting Claypool and Diontae all the targets they can handle and use JuJu as nothing more than a means to an end. 

Your suggestion is a very nice and respectful and heartfelt suggestion. But that isn’t the NFL unless you’re a HOFer on his way out...and sometimes not even then. 

28 minutes ago, mjb said:

Jetdog16, I get what you're saying.  That article is dated Last week, unfortunately.  Yes, Pittsburgh won't be blowing out the Titans, so IF Juju is ever going to produce, you'd think Week 7.  It has shootout potential.  Something just seems strange.  Not sure if the knee is anything, or just so many mouths to feed, and the emergence of Claypool.

Hey let's not act like JuJu's been A.J. Green or anything. Dude has a 25 point fantasy effort under his belt and was averaging 17.6 points after three games. His role is garbage and he's a massive bust for where we drafted him but there's still ROS value here.

People are getting too emotional -- including me earlier in this thread. JuJu's a high ceiling, low floor Flex option this week. If you need the win I'd roll with him, if you need safe points look elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

Hey let's not act like JuJu's been A.J. Green or anything. Dude has a 25 point fantasy effort under his belt and was averaging 17.6 points after three games. His role is garbage and he's a massive bust for where we drafted him but there's still ROS value here.

People are getting too emotional -- including me earlier in this thread. JuJu's a high ceiling, low floor Flex option this week. If you need the win I'd roll with him, if you need safe points look elsewhere.

His ceiling is td dependent.  Simply enough without blown coverage he’s not making separation or getting much yac

Edited by TeeGee60

3 minutes ago, TeeGee60 said:

His ceiling is td dependent.  Simply enough without blown coverage he’s not making separation or getting much yac

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I totally understand that and agree. He will score TD's this year though. The three he has already will not be all he ends up with. He's a WR3/4 with TD upside. This week against the Titans is a spot that I'm more comfortable with. 

• Like 1

Can't believe I fell for this guy two years in a row.  Feels good man, feels good.  Moral of the story, when a team says they're not going to re-sign a healthy 'star' player, dnd.

4 hours ago, jpark211 said:

Yeah that was my same thoughts. Juju is the total team player, but it looks like the other talents are overriding the decision to feed him. 

1 hour ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I'm still starting. Zero hesitation. 

The week you least expect it no doubt

Over the last 4 weeks Juju is 74th among wide receivers in average points (6.9 per game) and in those games the steelers scored 28, 38, and 38 points. I'd consider cutting him if I had him because he's the type of player who is startable based on what he's done in seasons past but can destroy your FF season by consistently putting up duds.

Hes averaging 5.6 targets per game over a third of the season and thats not going to win you any games.

2 hours ago, Tomei7 said:

Yeah that was my same thoughts. Juju is the total team player, but it looks like the other talents are overriding the decision to feed him. 

Hope he finds a better team for him during the 2021 offseason. Steelers are tossing him to the wayside after all the BS he went through with injuries, last year’s shitshow and the AB and Leveon drama. 49ers, Packers and Pats need to come calling next year

The problem is the Steelers team isn’t setup in a way to support a WR unless that WR is in that elite tier. JuJu isn’t.

Don’t get me wrong I still think he’s a very good talent but being very good on a team with an elite defense that doesn’t throw won’t cut it a lot of weeks. The Steelers are almost bottom 5 on the year in pass attempts and when they throw they throw short.

JuJu is their leading receiver and he is ranked 40th in the league in receptions. They don’t have anyone else in the top 80. Him and Odell face a similar problem (and Odells is somehow significantly worse): it doesn’t matter what you think of their talent it’s like playing RB for Nagy. The offense is designed to not give a **** about you. 

Edited by Gohawks
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Gohawks said:

The problem is the Steelers team isn’t setup in a way to support a WR unless that WR is in that elite tier. JuJu isn’t.

Don’t get me wrong I still think he’s a very good talent but being very good on a team with an elite defense that doesn’t throw won’t cut it a lot of weeks. The Steelers are almost bottom 5 on the year in pass attempts and when they throw they throw short.

JuJu is their leading receiver and he is ranked 40th in the league in receptions. They don’t have anyone else in the top 80. Him and Odell face a similar problem (and Odells is somehow significantly worse): it doesn’t matter what you think of their talent it’s like playing RB for Nagy. The offense is designed to not give a **** about you. 

So washington Johnson when healthy are both elite tier? Cause both more involved than juju lately...

46 minutes ago, hard1 said:

So washington Johnson when healthy are both elite tier? Cause both more involved than juju lately...

In 3 games Washington is averaging 30 YPG and while Johnson did good it was only 2 games. 

By the way, JuJu snap count was 65% last week. He hasn’t hit 80% since week 2.

Just not good. Usage for a WR is down right awful. 

Green Bay calling around for WRs, since JuJu is a FA after this season, it might make sense for the Steelers to deal him to Green Bay. What if the Steelers feature him this weekend? 2TD incoming?

3 minutes ago, THE_MAGIC_MAN said:

Green Bay calling around for WRs, since JuJu is a FA after this season, it might make sense for the Steelers to deal him to Green Bay. What if the Steelers feature him this weekend? 2TD incoming?

NFL GMs aren't going to be trading based off one game's performance, unlike fantasy managers

I'm reduced to watching old clips of his on YouTube...reminiscing about the good times. Dude is such a good person I almost don't even feel bad for drafting him this year. Sometimes things don't work out and that's just his reality for 2020. Looking forward to taking him in the 6th round next season when he signs elsewhere a la Stefon Diggs. 

I think he will start producing better numbers in the next few weeks.   It will be difficult for him to live up to his draft expectations but there are several thing working in his favor:  1.  If you look at his 2018 stats you will see that the majority of his better games happened on the road; Steelers were less able to use the run/d strategy which they've used especially this season.  Next 3 games are on the road.   2.  Claypool said that opposing D's have been focused on shutting down JuJu in the slot, opening up the outside for Claypool and Washington.  Teams are going to be focused more on Claypool going forward.  3.  Devin Bush missing the rest of the season is going make the defense worse and the offense have to score more points.  4.  Roethlisberger has been outspoken about how much he appreciates JuJu's selfless approach and reiterated that JuJu is still the #1 receiver.

His snap count is concerning and shows that his slot receiver role won't be needed against teams with bad offenses that can be run upon.  Alot has been made about the Steelers not extending him last offseason, but they have also not extended TJ Watt or James Connor who were also drafted in 2017.  

Decent buy low in my opinion.

• Like 1

pitt defense way too good, don't need ben attempting 40-50 passes a game. JuJu won't get peppered consistently enough due to the depth of (Connor, DJ, Ebron, Washington, Claypool).

TD dependent, low floor, low ceiling player. A trade will be the best thing owners of JuJu could hope for.