BrianM

JuJu Smith-Schuster 2020 Outlook

55 minutes ago, BrianM said:

I think the "one season with 60 catches/1000 yards" is a major cherry pick.  His rookie year he played only 14 games, had Martavis Bryant still active, and got only 79 targets.  Still put up 58-917-7.  None of that at all is a detriment to him, i'm not sure how anyone could look at his rookie season's output as unimpressive. 

That said, I definitely get anyone with the pessimistic POV about this year.   Its all already been discussed.

I get the pessimism but not enough to have his ADP be in the 70s. People really think guys like Chark and Samuel deserve to be going 40 picks higher? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Gohawks said:

I get the pessimism but not enough to have his ADP be in the 70s. People really think guys like Chark and Samuel deserve to be going 40 picks higher? 

exactly!! This guy really is a stud. Last year he had over 70 yards in his 5 of his first 7 games then he got nicked up and and couple games later he got a more sever injury that made him miss games entirely. Getting 70 yards is pretty good as a wr. But to do it with duck hodges and mason Rudolph is amazing.  

2019 was a perfect storm for juju. Big Ben gets hurt. JuJu himself gets hurt. The run game was the worst it’s been in years. Neither of the back up QBs were worth a dang and the defense was finally good and kept them in a lot of games so he couldn’t even get easy garbage time points. On a contract year with Big Ben back I bet he returns to form.

Edited by Stonej14
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Gohawks said:

We dont have reliable ADP information atm.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gohawks said:

No. He will be JuJu again. The addition of Claypool is huge, I believe. I think Claypool will remind people of AHernandez of the Pats. Minus murdering of course. Pats used him all over, and I think Pittsburgh will us Claypool this way. I think Pittsburgh got a gem. And with Ben back... could be great for their offense as a whole. Just my $0.02. 

Before last season in 3 games Juju played without out Brown he had 19 rec for 255 and 3 tds.  He does come with the risk that if Big Ben goes down so does the offense.  But he comes with extreme upside also.  Especially for a guy that currently has a 7th round ADP.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 12:00 AM, Gohawks said:

Nope - and if that ADP somehow holds, he’ll be on every one of my teams.  

Fun fact: he has the most receptions before turning 23 in NFL history.

The risk for me is that there's too much unknown right now.  I took him last year at 13.  My thoughts were that maybe he's not a true alpha #1 but the chemistry and volume with Big Ben would give me enough targets to justify the pick. My major concern was that he wasn't talented enough to be good under any circumstance.   Unfortunately, he didn't look very good with other QBs.  Albeit the other QB looked like crap.   And then the injury.    All that being said, I didn't see enough good from him to think he is that #1 that can succeed under any circumstance.  And at the same time, the Steelers had other WR that looked OK with the bad QBs.

In short, I just didn't see enough good to make me think he's a #1 WR.   And now they seem to have other talented options.

It's just too much for me to take a leap of faith and draft him early. 

5 minutes ago, K197040 said:

It's just too much for me to take a leap of faith and draft him early. 

But that’s the beauty of it - you don’t have to.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

But that’s the beauty of it - you don’t have to.

I've not been following his ADP (or anyone's lately).   And it's a good point I just ignored.

Am I seeing this right?   7th round?

Ah...that's what I get for not reading the thread.    

Edited by K197040

"Dionte Johnson", Jaylen Samuels and "James Washington" contributed more than Juju last year. 

Juju is not particularly big, nor does he have particularly exceptional skills. I didn't believe the naysayers last year, warning how exposed he would be w/o AB. They were right. 

He wasn't a huge factor at USC either. Scored a few TDs, averaged 13 yards/catch. His 2017 w/PIT was very nice and in line with what I thought he could do. Then 2018 happened, which is the clear outlier in his career including college. 

He's not making anything happen on his own like other truly elite WRs. Count me out. Even if Big Ben can squeeze out another 10-13 game season there are other people there now. If Ben goes down forget it - which I intend to do regardless.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SuperJoint said:

"Dionte Johnson", Jaylen Samuels and "James Washington" contributed more than Juju last year.

You’re kinda right and kinda wrong here. all 3 of those guys played more games that juju. Juju only played 12 games and played injured in several more and had over 500 yards receiving. Jaylen samuels has less than 500 yards total. The other 2 had more yards but played in several more games.

Juju is not particularly big, nor does he have particularly exceptional skills. I didn't believe the naysayers last year, warning how exposed he would be w/o AB. They were right. 

Wrong on this one. Juju excels at jump balls he may not be as elite as DHop but he is still one of the in the league at this even tho it is not quantifiable. However he is without a doubt elite at yac which is a stat he led all WRs in 2018. we cannot know if he was truly exposed without AB because he didn’t have the same circumstances many things changed not just AB leaving. In his first 7 games he was fine even with poor qb play then he got hurt. He wasn't a huge factor at USC either. Scored a few TDs, averaged 13 yards/catch. His 2017 w/PIT was very nice and in line with what I thought he could do. Then 2018 happened, which is the clear outlier in his career including college. 

He wasn't a huge factor at USC either. Scored a few TDs, averaged 13 yards/catch. His 2017 w/PIT was very nice and in line with what I thought he could do. Then 2018 happened, which is the clear outlier in his career including college. 

In my opinion you’re very wrong. He had 750 yards and 5tds as a true freshman which is a very hard feat to accomplish considering most freshman wrs don’t hardly contribute at all. In this years draft with all the great wrs the only wr drafted in the first 2 rounds to have more yards their freshman year than juju was ceedee lamb. And he had heisman baker mayfield not Cody Kessler throwing passes.
Then juju exploded for almost 1500 yards and 10 tds as a sophomore with a senior Cody Kessler at qb then as a junior he got another 900 yards and 10 more TDs with true freshman 17 year old Sam darnold at QB. Context matters he had 3 great seasons given the circumstances. 

He's not making anything happen on his own like other truly elite WRs. Count me out. Even if Big Ben can squeeze out another 10-13 game season there are other people there now. If Ben goes down forget it - which I intend to do regardless.

As I said earlier he led wrs in 2018 in yac that is literally making it happen by yourself. You can be schemed open and have perfect passes thrown to you but what you do after the catch is all on the wr. He had a 76 yard TD against the 49ers this year that was a 13 yard catch he turned to 76 yards. He has several plays of 70 yards or more. I think he has 2 over 90 yards but I could be mistaken. 

• Like 1

A bit odd to be bringing up what a fourth-year receiver did in college - but to each his own, I guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

A bit odd to be bringing up what a fourth-year receiver did in college - but to each his own, I guess.

Agreed , those stats become basically irrelevant in this case. 

I find some of the comments here to be rather amusing.  Can anyone name a single WR who posted a good, if not great, fantasy season, when their team lost their perennially solid quarterback, eventually went to the third quarterback, and committed to running the ball 40 times per game?

This is assuredly a long list...

In all seriousness, if people don't think Juju is a superior WR, that's cool.  I think it's a fair debate if he's a bona fide #1 without an AB-type player until he proves it.  But maybe he doesn't have to be that type of receiver to be successful in fantasy.

He still has the traits I would look for in a fantasy receiver.  Excels at route running, used in a variety of different situations (deep, middle, underneath, screens, sweeps), has enough speed to break long gains and scores, etc.  Situations change every year, and of course for redraft that has to be evaluated.  But I would be hard-pressed to say Juju's skills regressed last year.

For transparency, Juju is one of my keepers in a keep-4 league.

• Like 4

On 5/3/2020 at 9:37 AM, dontclapGonorrhea said:

Yes he has had 1 season where he has played 16 games.

1 season over 60 catches

1 season over 1k yards

run centric offense

he won't finish in the top 20 this year.

17th in drops and contested catches

everyone who is buying is hoping Big Ben is healthy and what he did with Antonio Brown opposite of him. Il be happy when people are overpaying for the name and not the production.

A WR that only really played 1 full season so far in his career only has 1 very good season.

We will have more at 11...

Steelers should just trade him to Seattle and call it a day. Not like they’re gonna pay him anyways...

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Steelers should just trade him to Seattle and call it a day. Not like they’re gonna pay him anyways...

Belichick-Confused.gif

Why not to New England?

• Haha 1

My only concern with JuJu this year is Big Bens health. So basically I'm not brave enough to draft JuJu.

Posted (edited)

I thought he was going to ball out and be the number 1 overall WR last season. I was wrong, and I am out on him. I even asked the Juju owner in my dynasty league about a deal for him where I gave up Michael Thomas--thankfully denied

The QBs were awful yes but other WRs produced with some terrible QB play (not as much as with starting QBs but still something)--like Sutton, Allen Robinson, DJ Moore, Golladay, etc.

No excuse for finishing below the Taylor Gabriels and Chris Conleys of the world to me

Not only that but Ben looked pretty bad in 2019 before getting hurt. Still better than Rudolph and Duck but it is far from a sure thing that he returns to form

Edited by mocha4313
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mocha4313 said:

Not only that but Ben looked pretty bad in 2019 before getting hurt. Still better than Rudolph and Duck but it is far from a sure thing that he returns to form

Didn't he play in pretty much one game last year against the best D in the league?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2020 at 12:58 PM, Boudewijn said:

Belichick-Confused.gif

Why not to New England?

This is easily the smartest post you’ve made in a while. I like JuJu. Great fit for New England. 

You guys know a thing or two about playing one game and peaceing out, right?

2 hours ago, hockeyfan77 said:

Didn't he play in pretty much one game last year against the best D in the league?

Putting up 3 points is kinda bad no matter who it's against

But to add on I remember the Steelers getting pantsed in the Seahawks game until Rudolph came in and actually injected some life and nearly led a comeback. Not saying Rudolph is better than Ben, but it was a bit more than just one game

29 minutes ago, mocha4313 said:

Putting up 3 points is kinda bad no matter who it's against

But to add on I remember the Steelers getting pantsed in the Seahawks game until Rudolph came in and actually injected some life and nearly led a comeback. Not saying Rudolph is better than Ben, but it was a bit more than just one game

Considering they only gave up 4 offensive TD's in their first 7 games, it's about average

He was 8-15 for 75 yards before leaving the game vs Seattle, so I will give you that one

Where has JuJu been going in drafts that people have done recently and do you expect him to have a good, bounce back year?  He was drafted in the mid-4th round in the recent 0.5 PPR drafts that I did.