BrianM

JuJu Smith-Schuster 2020 Outlook

20 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

Is JuJu a good receiver? Not even talking fantasy, cause it seems like he's fantastic after the catch but that's about it. Feels like I've only seen him run a couple routes all season usually just crosses or screens. 

Get out of here dude. 

Wack take. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Get out of here dude. 

Wack take. 

Not a hot take I was asking a question. Do people consider JuJu a complete receiver? Cause I haven't seen dude win downfield or catch a contested pass all season. Thanks for your valuable input!

4 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

Not a hot take I was asking a question. Do people consider JuJu a complete receiver? Cause I haven't seen dude win downfield or catch a contested pass all season. Thanks for your valuable input!

You don't get 111 receptions and 1400 yd not being able to win at all parts of the field. 

If there's ever been a receiver to do that feel free to let me know because I am unaware of that person. 

You don't just fall into that kind of success as an NFL receiver

15 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

You don't get 111 receptions and 1400 yd not being able to win at all parts of the field. 

If there's ever been a receiver to do that feel free to let me know because I am unaware of that person. 

I don't think he fell into success. He's obviously amazing after the catch. He's a great blocker. I'm not saying he's a bad player whatsoever. His usage has been almost entirely at the LOS this year, while Dionte and Washington have run the intermediate/deep routes. I guess I shouldn't have asked if JuJu is good, I believe he's talented. But there aren't many stud WR's who are used like he is.

12 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

I don't think he fell into success. He's obviously amazing after the catch. He's a great blocker. I'm not saying he's a bad player whatsoever. His usage has been almost entirely at the LOS this year, while Dionte and Washington have run the intermediate/deep routes. I guess I shouldn't have asked if JuJu is good, I believe he's talented. But there aren't many stud WR's who are used like he is.

Michael Thomas 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Antonio Brown was the reason Juju put up those receptions/Yards.

This year, Juju has yet to have 70 yards receiving in a game.

That's the Antonio Brown factor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jetdog16 said:

He's your typical slot receiver drafted in the 2nd round...think Tyler Boyd, Golden Tate, Sterling Shepard...guys like that are Juju's comps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

17 receptions on 19 targets and I believe 1 was a throw away ball and he can't win, lol. 

Can he put up 70 yards receiving in a single game first?

2 of his 3 games, he had less than 50 yards.

He's a complementary slot receiver who relies on an Alpha #1 WR like a Diontae Johnson and before that, a 1st ballot HOFer in Antonio Brown.

15 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

How come no other WR’s benefited from the Antonio Brown factor? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

How come no other WR’s benefited from the Antonio Brown factor? 

Why is Juju 0-for-3 at reaching 70 yards?

Why is Juju 1-for-3 at reaching 50 yards?

3 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

Why is Juju 0-for-3 at reaching 70 yards?

Why is Juju 1-for-3 at reaching 50 yards?

Why is he currently a top 12 WR? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PisEdiRin said:

Or that Ben's throwing like 230 yards a game and none of the games have been that competitive. 

They'll have tests. And Ben will throw. But it's not needed for every single game.

It's not crazy when QBs get older their coaches try to scale them down from 50 throws per game QBs. 

It doesn't mean they can't still do it as needed, but it means it's not the new normal anymore. 

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares

2 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

Michael Thomas 

Similar but not the same type of usage. Thomas gets fed intermediate targets but almost never goes deep. Majority of JuJu's looks come within a couple yards of LOS. 

1 hour ago, PisEdiRin said:

He's your typical slot receiver drafted in the 2nd round...think Tyler Boyd, Golden Tate, Sterling Shepard...guys like that are Juju's comps.

Right. There aren't many 6'1, 215 pound slot receivers, so in my mind I'm like why isn't this big fast dude catching passes in traffic down the field. Not all WR's need to run full route trees to be productive. JuJu is obviously an example of that. 

Oof, very concerned this might be a season long problem.

• JuJu Smith-Schuster (knee) didn't practice Wednesday.

Smith-Schuster played through his knee injury in Week 3. It's possible the Steelers are getting him maintenance coming off their bye. A return to limited practice on Thursday would put Smith-Schuster's on track to play.

Oct 7, 2020, 3:47 PM ET

•  
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, mjb said:

Oof, very concerned this might be a season long problem.

• JuJu Smith-Schuster (knee) didn't practice Wednesday.

Smith-Schuster played through his knee injury in Week 3. It's possible the Steelers are getting him maintenance coming off their bye. A return to limited practice on Thursday would put Smith-Schuster's on track to play.

Oct 7, 2020, 3:47 PM ET

•  

Is this why experts are ranking him so low this week? He's projected to be a low-end WR2 but the matchup he has against PHI is pretty good

1 minute ago, jpark211 said:

Is this why experts are ranking him so low this week? He's projected to be a low-end WR2 but the matchup he has against PHI is pretty good

If he was 100%, I’d guess top 15, but not sure🤷‍♂️

Stars get preferential treatment. I don't think I've seen Julio Jones practice on a Wednesday since like 2012. 

I'm not saying juju is Julio. I'm just saying he's the closest thing to a star on this offense that is not their QB. 

Juju returned to practice 😓.. what a season.

I want this guy off my team so bad. I know the production's been fine because of the TD's, but his average target travels 5 yards, and he's seeing less looks than Dionte Johnson. That's a production profile that doesn't seem sustainable. I drafted him thinking he was a strong WR2 bordering on WR1. I think it's quite possible that's just not who this guy is. WR2/3 might be his ceiling in this offense. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

I want this guy off my team so bad. I know the production's been fine because of the TD's, but his average target travels 5 yards, and he's seeing less looks than Dionte Johnson. That's a production profile that doesn't seem sustainable. I drafted him thinking he was a strong WR2 bordering on WR1. I think it's quite possible that's just not who this guy is. WR2/3 might be his ceiling in this offense. 

Im very concerned too..  Does anyone have a detailed analysis as to why this is the case?

He does have the better matchup this week compared to Dionte Johnson. Lets see if Tomlin decides to exploit it. If so, I think you should be able to sell him closer to high-end-WR2/low-end-WR1 value (or at least thats what Im hoping to do come next week)

1 minute ago, jpark211 said:

Im very concerned too..  Does anyone have a detailed analysis as to why this is the case?

He does have the better matchup this week compared to Dionte Johnson. Lets see if Tomlin decides to exploit it. If so, I think you should be able to sell him closer to high-end-WR2/low-end-WR1 value (or at least thats what Im hoping to do come next week)

Good point. I've been trying to sell before Sunday but it's a good matchups so I may wait and hope he goes off. Look, if it was just one negative factor I'd say JuJu would be fine. But they're using Dionte more, and when they do throw it to JuJu it's right at the LOS. Can his usage profile change? Sure, but it looks like this is who he is at this point. Steelers run game was cruising before the bye, and those wide open looks that AB helped funnel to him are gone...

44 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Juju going for 150+ today. Buckle up. 

Im praying for this too! Please let him EAAT

What a gigantic turd.  Can’t believe I picked this guy over Ridley... literally doesn’t even care he just got passed up by Diontae Johnson, claypool, Ebron, Connor... anybody else