thebadferret

Saquon Barkley 2020 Outlook

1 minute ago, Mustangt125 said:

I have acquired this man for the first time.  

I took him over CMC. Both are in new offenses and Joe Brady has never coached NFL. I also like Jason Garrett's use of RBs. I expect Barkley to see way more targets this year than under the prior regime.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

I took him over CMC. Both are in new offenses and Joe Brady has never coached NFL. I also like Jason Garrett's use of RBs. I expect Barkley to see way more targets this year than under the prior regime.

Ahh I just edited my post to ask about how we think Garrett will use him.  Also said I am anticipating 75+ receptions.  He had an incredible 91 his rookie year.

2 minutes ago, Mustangt125 said:

Ahh I just edited my post to ask about how we think Garrett will use him.  Also said I am anticipating 75+ receptions.  He had an incredible 91 his rookie year.

I own Barkley and I think you made a tremendous mistake. 

2 minutes ago, RevisAteMyQB said:

I own Barkley and I think you made a tremendous mistake. 

Why's that? And then why'd you pick him?

This was actually my thinking too: https://thehuddle.com/2020/07/14/fantasy-football-draft-saquon-barkley-over-christian-mccaffrey/. Now I may be wrong, but I don't believe the margin to be that great even if I did make the wrong pick. Although I do worry about CMC breaking down due to his usage, he does avoid being hit violently. He may be okay this year, but what worries me the most is the unknown with Joe Brady. He may not see the level of work he's gotten in the past which would bring him down to a human level. Had Rivera still been there I likely would have taken CMC for the same reason. New offense. But I like Barkley's situation better overall with his OC over the Carolina OC.

17 minutes ago, Mustangt125 said:

Why's that? And then why'd you pick him?

I got him at 4. He fell into my lap. CMC is by far my #1 this season. To each their own. 

4 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

This was actually my thinking too: https://thehuddle.com/2020/07/14/fantasy-football-draft-saquon-barkley-over-christian-mccaffrey/. Now I may be wrong, but I don't believe the margin to be that great even if I did make the wrong pick. Although I do worry about CMC breaking down due to his usage, he does avoid being hit violently. He may be okay this year, but what worries me the most is the unknown with Joe Brady. He may not see the level of work he's gotten in the past which would bring him down to a human level. Had Rivera still been there I likely would have taken CMC for the same reason. New offense. But I like Barkley's situation better overall with his OC over the Carolina OC.

Worried about cmac breaking down, but Barkley has already shown fragility. 

It’s all about taking the guy you like better, and that’s really all the argument you can make. 

numerically—cmc should be the #1 pick by a long shot. 

• Like 1

I would personally take CMac over Saquan, but I'd be pretty doggone happy to take Saquan if CMac is off the board. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, RevisAteMyQB said:

I got him at 4. He fell into my lap. CMC is by far my #1 this season. To each their own. 

I paid for him in an auction in which CMC was kept.  

Watching his highlights they ran him A LOT out of shotgun.  Do you guys think that'll change at all with Garrett coming in? I feel like Zeke usually ran from behind a QB under center.

Edited by Mustangt125

10 minutes ago, RevisAteMyQB said:

Worried about cmac breaking down, but Barkley has already shown fragility. 

It’s all about taking the guy you like better, and that’s really all the argument you can make. 

numerically—cmc should be the #1 pick by a long shot. 

Worried about his usage even though he hasn't been hurt yet. Barkley sprained his ankle due to an awkward tackle. I think he did have a soft tissue injury in camp his rookie season but it didn't affect his season. The main thing is I like the OC situation better. The Giants also have better offensive weapons, imo. If Engram, Shepard, and Tate stay healthy it is a nice supporting cast to occupy defenses. The Panthers are meh, after DJ Moore. But I'm not here to argue any point. I went against the grain. CMC is the obvious consensus #1. We will just have to see if the field was right here.

Edited by FitzMagic

They open up against: Steelers, Bears, 49ers.  That is indeed about as tough as you could get.  However with the way they can use him out of the backfield and as a receiver he will still get his points.  Also, you never know how defenses go year to year.  The Bears and 49ers have both seen turnover on their defensive rosters.

1 minute ago, Mustangt125 said:

They open up against: Steelers, Bears, 49ers.  That is indeed about as tough as you could get.  However with the way they can use him out of the backfield and as a receiver he will still get his points.  Also, you never know how defenses go year to year.  The Bears and 49ers have both seen turnover on their defensive rosters.

The Bears I'm not super concerned with anymore.  Mack's a great player but they are not what they used to be.

Pittsburgh and the Niners were actually better pass defenses than run defenses last year.  TDs may be tough though.  By the numbers last year the toughest games on the ground would be the Bucs and the Eagles.  Of course that sort of thing never carries over from year to year like you say.

You can certainly "argue" Barkley over CMC, but it doesn't make much sense on paper. He's too young to worry about usage, plus he does very well not taking hard contact. 

No injury risk at all yet, and even more impressive he put up 116 catches and 2400 yards with a QB situation that cannot be any worse. In full PPR, you simply cannot fade a guy who has AVERAGED 100 catches per season for his first 3 years in the league.  

That doesn't mean it's not possible Saquan can't be better, there just isn't much logic behind it(half ppr/non ppr def. makes thing much closer though).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Worried about his usage even though he hasn't been hurt yet. Barkley sprained his ankle due to an awkward tackle. I think he did have a soft tissue injury in camp his rookie season but it didn't affect his season. The main thing is I like the OC situation better. The Giants also have better offensive weapons, imo. If Engram, Shepard, and Tate stay healthy it is a nice supporting cast to occupy defenses. The Panthers are meh, after DJ Moore. But I'm not here to argue any point. I went against the grain. CMC is the obvious consensus #1. We will just have to see if the field was right here.

I also drafted Barkley over Cmac at #1. I feel strongly about Cmac breaking down. I also feel strongly about Jason Garrett running the piss out of the ball. He’s my RB1 for the season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SportsBrain said:

You can certainly "argue" Barkley over CMC, but it doesn't make much sense on paper. He's too young to worry about usage, plus he does very well not taking hard contact. 

No injury risk at all yet, and even more impressive he put up 116 catches and 2400 yards with a QB situation that cannot be any worse. In full PPR, you simply cannot fade a guy who has AVERAGED 100 catches per season for his first 3 years in the league.  

That doesn't mean it's not possible Saquan can't be better, there just isn't much logic behind it(half ppr/non ppr def. makes thing much closer though).

400 touches is 400 touches and historically hasn’t been kind to running backs. I will also be surprised if the panthers run there best player into the ground this year on a 3-13 team.

4 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

I also drafted Barkley over Cmac at #1. I feel strongly about Cmac breaking down. I also feel strongly about Jason Garrett running the piss out of the ball. He’s my RB1 for the season.

What about the new offensive line??

I feel like arguing about Barkley vs CMac is like arguing about the filet vs the lobster while people with a pick in 9-12 range are talking themselves into a Big Mac.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/26/2020 at 10:58 PM, CamNewton said:

How large is the gap between Barkley at #2 and Zeke at #3?

Maybe I'm a Cowboy's homer, but I don't feel the gap is all that large.  I have the 2nd pick in my league and debating Saquon and Zeke.  

Personally, I feel like the improved QB situation and improved OL hurts Saquon a bit.  I mean, his rookie season how many dump off's did he catch because Eli was afraid of getting hit and their OL was terrible?  The answer is a ton.

And their skill position players have largely been a mess the last 2 years with injuries.

Don't get me wrong, he's good.  But on the flip side, Zeke is a guy that is consistent as they come and durable.  And he's in an offense that's going to move the ball and give him a lot of TD chances.  I really think he could score 20 TD's this year.

My debate basically is there enough of a gap where I want to find myself rooting for Saquon when the Giants play the Cowboys twice lol when there isn't a huge dropoff taking Zeke.

Funny enough, I had the same decision last year as I picked first and CMC wasn't really in the discussion last year.  I took Zeke over Saquon and everybody laughed at me.  But I got the last laugh when I won the league after finishing first during the regular season by quite a margin.

First time having him on my fantasy team. Was a huge fan of his in college, he’s so fun to watch. 

Here’s to a great season! 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, NinerLifer said:

First time having him on my fantasy team. Was a huge fan of his in college, he’s so fun to watch. 

Here’s to a great season! 

I was a fan of both back in the college days and also took Saquon. 

I think the change in QBs and coordinators for CAR is the tie-breaker in a pick you really can't screw up - Garrett being the tie-breaker imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tts42572 said:

Maybe I'm a Cowboy's homer, but I don't feel the gap is all that large.  I have the 2nd pick in my league and debating Saquon and Zeke.  

Personally, I feel like the improved QB situation and improved OL hurts Saquon a bit.  I mean, his rookie season how many dump off's did he catch because Eli was afraid of getting hit and their OL was terrible?  The answer is a ton.

And their skill position players have largely been a mess the last 2 years with injuries.

Don't get me wrong, he's good.  But on the flip side, Zeke is a guy that is consistent as they come and durable.  And he's in an offense that's going to move the ball and give him a lot of TD chances.  I really think he could score 20 TD's this year.

My debate basically is there enough of a gap where I want to find myself rooting for Saquon when the Giants play the Cowboys twice lol when there isn't a huge dropoff taking Zeke.

Funny enough, I had the same decision last year as I picked first and CMC wasn't really in the discussion last year.  I took Zeke over Saquon and everybody laughed at me.  But I got the last laugh when I won the league after finishing first during the regular season by quite a margin.

I'm not a Cowboys homer, and went Zeke over Saquon at No. 2. Still, I don't see how you can go wrong with either. 

I was #2 overall in my big money league and took Zeke instead. He has a tough first half of the season, but I hope I'm proved wrong.

Saquon is match up proof, my reason for taking him #1 is simply cmac has no where to go but down and saquon is still the most talented rb in football. 20 straight years the #1 fantasy player has yet to repeat but people are still saying cmac is a no Brainer. I'll always fade the guy coming off the career year. When Brady, Peyton and Mahommes all threw 50 TDs how did they do the following year? Same logic applies 

All this guy really needs is consistent support from the passing game.  Mid to late last season, we did see some nice improvements from Jones.  Injuries aside, that's what I think will separate Barkley from being RB1 and where ever else he falls.  We just need to hope Jones and the passing attack hold up their end.  

Edited by mikeflavaz
  • Like 1