Boudewijn

Chase Claypool 2020 Outlook

The Steelers have a problem. The question is, will Chase Claypool be the answer?

Chase certainly had a good career in Notre Dame, especially the last half of 2019:

image.png.1f8d5bd905956d3fb3661bc8addd785c.png

In the last 6 games, he had a stats line of 37/601/9. Not strange then that he has a lot of fans and drew pre-draft attention. Good size too, with 6-4/238 (that's practically TE size). 

However, with JuJu, James Washington and Diontae Johson there is already quite a bit of competition; and in Eric Ebron they added a big body. I think Claypool certainly has a chance in Pittsburgh, but he does have James Washington in front of him on the depth chart, so that's not an automatic. If JuJu has another down year, certainly there will be an opening in 2021 though.

There are also some questions whether his skills transfer well to the NFL. College receivers often get by on speed and/or size, when you really need burst and especially route running in the pros. Does he have that?

https://stillcurtain.com/2020/05/06/steelers-chase-claypool-reach/

Chase Claypool is a raw player and he has a real problem getting off the line of scrimmage. That is a hard problem to fix. Certainly, Claypool has that toughness to block well, but does he have the ability to break away from the corner. You don’t want to see opposing defenses playing bump and run with Claypool.

The other problem is his route running. I think this is one of the critical skills of being a good receiver. If you cannot separate from the defender than you cannot get open. If you cannot get open then you won’t get the ball from the quarterback and he will have to look to other receivers. Claypool wasn’t getting open at Notre Dame and so why would that change with the Steelers? 

I took a look at the last games of Claypool at ND, and it looks to me like he did get open, however not necessarily due to his perfect routes, more through some simple bump-and-runs. That could be an issue.

Taking this into account then I'd say: for redraft he should be WR3/4, for dynasty it will very much depend on how fast he learns in the pros.

• Like 1

This team has a very strong defense, a confusing potential stable of talented RBs, and a 38 year old QB who just missed a season.

I'm barely able to wrap my head around JuJu.  Trying to pick the secondary option in the passing game is definitely a bridge too far for me, at least right now.

• Like 1

Agreed.  He’s a non-early-declare who really only had one stand-out season - as a senior.  And playing time projects to be somewhat of an issue after Washington redeemed himself last season.  Very intriguing size/speed hybrid, though.  They might deploy him most as a RZ threat.

I’ll pass on him for re-draft purposes.

Posted (edited)

I just dont think it was the pick we needed honestly, not that it isnt exciting to see where he goes due to his size but I just feel that we needed our go to rb as the rb roster we have is as unreliable as it gets. Conner love the kid but hes yet to play a full season, and that's been a problem and guys like Samuel's and Snell aren't ther numero uno either.

So to me I hate that we didnt get Dobbins,  that's a player we couldve solved alot of problems with in the backfield and maybe trade conner. 

I see all these teams now with insanely talented and young QBs and I'm skeptical that Ben can last a whole season anymore, I hope he proves me wrong but I'm just feeling were going to be in for a long rough ride if Ben gets shut down again. 

Back to Claypool, cant change it now so I'm excited for his potential but I just dont think it was the pick we needed

But if Ben is vintage Ben and our rbs can stay healthy I could see claypool having a really nice year,  I'd take a late round flier on him for sure 

Edited by Savatage79

Interesting dynasty prospect.

Size and speed freak. I think his rookie year might not be as great due to juju and d. Johnson being there but 2021 could be interesting if they let juju walk.

4 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Interesting dynasty prospect.

Size and speed freak. I think his rookie year might not be as great due to juju and d. Johnson being there but 2021 could be interesting if they let juju walk.

I was thinking he’s a great third because he can line up as a tight end. I don’t think the tes on the roster have been that consistent. I think he will see the field more than a typical third wr. 

Megatron 2.0

Really fast guy for his size. Definitely a dynasty pick rather than a redraft but i like the landing spot

• Like 1

Good dynasty pick but virtually un-rosterable in re-draft this year IMO.  

Juju, Johnson and Washington currently ahead of him on the depth chart.  The Steelers have spent high capital on WRs the last few drafts, so perhaps the rumblings about moving on from Juju are true.  Washington and Johnson are the only WRs (outside Claypool) under contract past this year.  So perhaps he gets a better opportunity next year, and then becomes an entrenched starter in 2022 if/when Washington becomes an FA.  

Well with then new TE in town you have to wonder if they will use more two TE sets. Could be a Boone for Conner. I’m guessing they don’t want Ben throwing down field heavy. Clay pool will probably not be asked to block much but could be a valuable weapon in the new Pitt offense. 

18 hours ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

Well with then new TE in town you have to wonder if they will use more two TE sets. Could be a Boone for Conner. I’m guessing they don’t want Ben throwing down field heavy. Clay pool will probably not be asked to block much but could be a valuable weapon in the new Pitt offense. 

i could be wrong but I think the Steelers prefer to use 2 tight ends equally. They’ve had Jesse James and McDonald for a few years and before that it was Jesse James and ladarius green but before that it was usually just heath miller absorbing all the touches. I’d love to know if someone has more data on it tho. 

Camp stud. Teammates comparing his potential to Brandon Marshall and Megatron? Under the radar going into drafts? My interest is peaked. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Winona's got a big ol' Beaver State, eh?

I just googled this to see what you meant and it’s one of the weirder things I’ve seen. 

1 minute ago, dropshadows said:

Over The Falls and into my dynasty team.

:lol:

your name is Mud if ya choose to sleep on this slappin' Stiller - follow the lead, fellas. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dude's got some Kelce in his game. 

On 8/26/2020 at 1:35 AM, Spyplane said:

Camp stud. Teammates comparing his potential to Brandon Marshall and Megatron? Under the radar going into drafts? My interest is peaked. 

I agree.  The hype is building for this guy.  He has some competition for targets but, he seems like he could be a beast.  He brings a different element to the WR core at the Steelers.  Worth a late round stash IMO.

I still really like Johnson to breakout of the bunch. If anything, I could see Claypool pushing the Steelers could trade JuJu to WR needy team like the 49ers, Texans or Packers. JuJu doesn’t seem to have that WR1 game, he’s a clear #2 to me.

3 hours ago, Kilo said:

I agree.  The hype is building for this guy.  He has some competition for targets but, he seems like he could be a beast.  He brings a different element to the WR core at the Steelers.  Worth a late round stash IMO.

Another guy similar in some regards is Michael Pittman Jr. 

If you miss out here then considering him isn't a bad idea. Both guys might need a little time though. I would not be shocked if either land on the wire, are picked up and then go off.

20 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

Another guy similar in some regards is Michael Pittman Jr. 

If you miss out here then considering him isn't a bad idea. Both guys might need a little time though. I would not be shocked if either land on the wire, are picked up and then go off.

Both of these are guys that are worth stashing in Dynasty/Deep keeper leagues, but in most redraft leagues I think the hype is probably getting out of hand.

Which is not unusual, it happens the same each year, people are enthusiastic about the guys they've seen on Saturdays and can't wait to see them in the pros, but the truth is that it's generally a very large step (and often too far) and it takes some time for WRs (and even more for TEs) to make that step.

• Like 1

I'm in.

Banged up late in camp with a foot injury, and missing practice yesterday, I didn't want to wait to hear the significance (if any) on Diontae Johnson's status, so I made the  proactive move on this 6-4 monster who JuJu nicknamed MapleTron...

"We came up with one already [nickname]. We’re using MapleTron. Maple. Because maple is big out there, so we’re using MapleTron. All he has to do is go out there and dominate." - JuJu

Randy Fichtner [Pitt OC] on Chase Claypool: "I think he’s put himself into that talk of being able to be useful early in the season and a lot earlier than you probably would expect based on no offseason for a rookie."

Claypool is the perfect player to occupy your last bench spot to see how he develops.

[always a sucker for Calvin Johnson/Brandon Marshall-Like Clones]

Diontae practiced in full today. I still don't see Claypool leaping over James Washington yet.

He'll be a total nonfactor this year other than maybe a game or two no one starts him in which he has 3-46-1 or something. You're pretty much playing the 6th option on the offense behind JuJu, Dionate, James Washington, Conner, and Ebron.

Edited by Hacksawjimduggan

6 minutes ago, Hacksawjimduggan said:

He'll be a total nonfactor this year other than maybe a game or two no one starts him in which he has 3-46-1 or something. You're pretty much playing the 6th option on the offense behind JuJu, Dionate, James Washington, Conner, and Ebron.

Yea right...I'll totally disregard what the offensive coordinator said....

Thanks for setting me straight. Not worthing having at the very end of my bench to see. Dropped.