Boudewijn

Chase Claypool 2020 Outlook

Fantasy production aside (which the last two weeks has been a thing of beauty) this guy is just flat out fun to watch!  Every single time he touches the ball you think/expect something electric to happen, and often times it does.  

Thrilled to have him on my team and excited to watch him play every week.

Edited by NinerLifer

2 hours ago, ludawg23 said:

Man - it looked like he was in.  If they reviewed it, I think they would have given it to him as he did stretch out and hit the pylon with the ball.

The kid looks smooth out there.  Definitely getting 2013 Josh Gordon vibes minus the mush for brains lol.

He looks like the full package IMO.

They did review it - his elbow was down, but he did everything that he could to try to punch it in. Everyone is looking at this particular play as one where he could have had an additional touchdown, but his 36 yard catch from earlier in the game could have easily been another. His momentum carried him out of bounds, but if that ball is placed just a little different, he's taking it in. That in-turn led to the Conner touchdown. It really is amazing how much of a threat he is to punch it in anytime he touches the ball. The game plan was definitely to exploit the coverage against Washington, but the encouraging part is that Claypool still got his at the end of the day. When you consider the things that he is consistently doing when he touches the ball, I don't see how the Steelers don't progressively ramp him into more and more of a feature role as the season progresses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I want to believe that this guy is a keeper ROS but once Johnson comes back someone will be left in the cold. Just not enough balls to go around. And the rookie is usually the one who gets the shaft. His value is high now after two good weeks. I think I'm going to sell. 

• Haha 6

He’s not going away. He’s a big part of the offense at this point. He’s getting carries. That’s icing on the cake.

If it was not Ben at quarterback and a young QB,  I would have my trepidations this could continue.

There’s no way Ben does not see what is blossoming right in front of him. Ben has been around long enough to know who to feed.

The coach is scheming plays for him because he is a big time playmaker.

When Johnson comes back he will be the underneath blanket.

Juju is done

Edited by montgrove
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Diontae Johnson will only help Claypool. Pull coverage away for him to do his work. This guy is a star. If you can't see that... Get glasses.

Edited by MKO3090
  • Thanks 3

Agreed. Genie's out of the bottle and Juju is the odd man out. There's still going to be bumpy weeks but this guy is absolutely a WR2 with huge weekly upside. Gonna have to take the down weeks but I'm 100% sold.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Kaii23 said:

Just not enough balls to go around. And the rookie is usually the one who gets the shaft.

I see what you did there.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kaii23 said:

I want to believe that this guy is a keeper ROS but once Johnson comes back someone will be left in the cold. Just not enough balls to go around. And the rookie is usually the one who gets the shaft. His value is high now after two good weeks. I think I'm going to sell. 

⬆️has no shares of Claypool

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, montgrove said:

He’s not going away. He’s a big part of the offense at this point. He’s getting carries. That’s icing on the cake.

If it was not Ben at quarterback and a young QB,  I would have my trepidations this could continue.

There’s no way Ben does not see what is blossoming right in front of him. Ben has been around long enough to know who to feed.

The coach is scheming plays for him because he is a big time playmaker.

When Johnson comes back he will be the underneath blanket.

Juju is done

They're not going to just bench juju... Lol. He's gonna be out there sucking up targets. Whether he deserves it or not. Claypool's value won't get higher than it is now. I think the consistent weekly floor that you all believe has already arrived for him will actually come next year after they let juju walk. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Kaii23 said:

They're not going to just bench juju... Lol. He's gonna be out there sucking up targets. Whether he deserves it or not. Claypool's value won't get higher than it is now. I think the consistent weekly floor that you all believe has already arrived for him will actually come next year after they let juju walk. 

Not sure I follow your logic - no one's saying Juju will be benched, but he'll get less snaps and has already had crummy target share (hasn't led the team in targets once!). If you look at the last couple of games, Claypool was the guy out there on nearly every snap where there was only 1 WR - and they schemed 2 goal line carries with him in the last 2 weeks.

I grabbed Claypool as a dynasty stash thinking he'd pay off next year once Juju left - this is merely a nice surprise that he's blossomed earlier than expected.

Edited by trilly
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kaii23 said:

Juju may not get benched but he is not ahead of Claypool in the pecking order...hell hes not even ahead of James Washington. It’s very evident, not that hard to see.

Last 2 games:

Juju- 9targets 6recs 34yds 0TDs

Claypool: 15targets 11recs 184yds 5TDs

🤫

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, trilly said:

Not sure I follow your logic - no one's saying Juju will be benched, but he'll get less snaps and has already had crummy target share (hasn't led the team in targets once!). If you look at the last couple of games, Claypool was the guy out there on nearly every snap where there was only 1 WR - and they schemed 2 goal line carries with him in the last 2 weeks.

I grabbed Claypool as a dynasty stash thinking he'd pay off next year once Juju left - this is merely a nice surprise that he's blossomed earlier than expected.

In other words, he temporarily took Johnson's spot in the offense. Which he will now relinquish. 

Just now, Kaii23 said:

Floors don't won't win fantasy championships. A Claypool boom week just might. This guy is the ultimate flex play right now because he's a TD threat in the open field.

You really think he's going to suddenly get LESS targets or involvement in the offensive game plan? He's just getting started.

I think he'll finish as a back end WR1. He already is in that range. He may have had his best game of 2020 in Week 5, but there will be more boom weeks to come and his involvement will be more consistent moving forward than it was up to this point, helping his floor. He's clearly their best skill player, Ben knows it and that's all that matters.

No need to wait til next year. The future is now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Trifecta said:

Floors don't won't win fantasy championships. A Claypool boom week just might. This guy is the ultimate flex play right now because he's a TD threat in the open field.

You really think he's going to suddenly get LESS targets or involvement in the offensive game plan? He's just getting started.

I think he'll finish as a back end WR1. He already is in that range. He may have had his best game of 2020 in Week 5, but there will be more boom weeks to come and his involvement will be more consistent moving forward than it was up to this point, helping his floor. He's clearly their best skill player, Ben knows it and that's all that matters.

We need to see what he looks like with Diontae Johnson in the lineup before we make claims like that. Clayton value took a spike with him out, and he could be the best available option, but lets not forget the target share D Johnson was getting before he went down. Ben was raving about him all off season 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kaii23 said:

In other words, he temporarily took Johnson's spot in the offense. Which he will now relinquish. 

And VASTLY outperformed him. Also, you shifted your argument to say that Johnson's the threat, not Juju. Seems like you're more interested in trying to rationalize why Claypool won't be the top dog - don't let any of us stop you from selling here, but I'm on this train for the long haul.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Trifecta said:

⬆️This guy is woke!!

7 minutes ago, Tomei7 said:

Claypool: 15targets 11recs 184yds 5TDs

🤫

No one mic drops like Mapletron.

🍁

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, trilly said:

And VASTLY outperformed him. Also, you shifted your argument to say that Johnson's the threat, not Juju. Seems like you're more interested in trying to rationalize why Claypool won't be the top dog - don't let any of us stop you from selling here, but I'm on this train for the long haul.

I was just responding to what others were saying about juju. My original statement was that Johnson's return is a good reason for Claypool owners to sell this week. Johnson was being targeted like a wr1 before injuries. Some thing's got to give. My guess is that the vet will eat first. 

Edited by Kaii23

Appears to be the biggest, fastest, most versatile, best route runner on the team who makes the most spectacular catches.

Bearish when Johnson returns.  Cuz his first name is Dionte. Or something.  I dunno.

Edited by GurleyBoy

I’m just happy that we still live in a world where people think a 5’10 183 lb 3rd round pick is going to outperform a 6’4 238lb 2nd round pick who is faster, can jump higher, and is at least as good at running routes and catching balls.  As a sub-six footer myself it gives me pride somehow.

Edited by GurleyBoy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, GurleyBoy said:

I’m just happy that we still live in a world where people think a 5’10 183 lb 3rd round pick is going to outperform a 6’4 238lb 2nd round pick who is just as good at running routes and catching balls.  As a sub-six footer myself it gives me pride somehow.

Wasnt a HOF Antonio Brown under 6'0? The slot guy who can create space after the catch. Odell on the Giants? Tyreek? Theres plenty of shorter WRs who are studs. The frame is promising but we need to see what he looks like when Johnson comes back. I wonder if the rotation and if Washington is just not put in so claypool can get the same amount of work as Juju and D Johnson. Personally id want Claypool and Johnson out as much as possible, thats a crazy 1/2 combo

As someone who recently traded for Johnson after missing out on Claypool, I have no problems submitting to the notion that Claypool may become the top target. It's easy to see why that may be the case. Way too much time in threads like this is spent arguing over stuff like that.

Johnson is legit and capable of producing, and Claypool is proving the same. Both can be true, and I think they'll be mutually beneficial. 

Edited by Macgregor
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, JacobThunder15 said:

Wasnt a HOF Antonio Brown under 6'0? The slot guy who can create space after the catch. Odell on the Giants? Tyreek? Theres plenty of shorter WRs who are studs. The frame is promising but we need to see what he looks like when Johnson comes back. I wonder if the rotation and if Washington is just not put in so claypool can get the same amount of work as Juju and D Johnson. Personally id want Claypool and Johnson out as much as possible, thats a crazy 1/2 combo

Brown was also the exception - a smaller WR without blazing speed becoming an all-time great (and he's def not just a slot guy). Odell and Tyreek are both speed demons so they make up for their lack of size with freak athleticism (let's ignore that Odell has been quite meh for a while now). Not saying that Johnson isn't going to be a good player, but I think people anointed him a little too early. I do agree that the best option for the Steelers is to have Claypool and Johnson as perimeter WRs, with Juju manning the slot.

Edited by trilly

5 minutes ago, JacobThunder15 said:

We need to see what he looks like with Diontae Johnson in the lineup before we make claims like that. Clayton value took a spike with him out, and he could be the best available option, but lets not forget the target share D Johnson was getting before he went down. Ben was raving about him all off season 

I like Diontae too, drafted him and had high hopes. I don't think Diontae being out there hurts Claypool. The only question is, has Claypool earned more playing time? It's obvious he has. I get being cautious here but you can't put this genie back in the bottle. They will get him the ball.

• Like 1