Boudewijn

Chase Claypool 2020 Outlook

2 minutes ago, Trifecta said:

I like Diontae too, drafted him and had high hopes. I don't think Diontae being out there hurts Claypool. The only question is, has Claypool earned more playing time? It's obvious he has. I get being cautious here but you can't put this genie back in the bottle. They will get him the ball.

Indeed.  Well said.  This guy clearly F%#&s.  

• Like 1

I’m shocked there are still people in here questioning his value. Watch some film. The dude’s a stud. Top 20 WR ROS. Buy high! He’s the Steelers best receiver and the only thing that would slow him down would be an injury to him or to Big Ben.

Edited by meh2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I’m shocked there are still people in here questioning his value. Watch some film. The dude’s a stud. Top 20 WR ROS. Buy high!

It has nothing to do with his talent, its how this team uses him and his percentage snap count. Look at weeks 1-3, Washington was even over him at one point. This is a small sample size, when this lineup is at full value, then we will see his potential. He has the talent to be a WR1, but if Mike Tomlin wants Ben to spread the ball around thats whats going to happen

25 minutes ago, BIGFATPANDA said:

3rd. Best wr on his team...

I think you clicked on the wrong thread, here's the link you were looking for

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, JacobThunder15 said:

It has nothing to do with his talent, its how this team uses him and his percentage snap count. Look at weeks 1-3, Washington was even over him at one point. This is a small sample size, when this lineup is at full value, then we will see his potential. He has the talent to be a WR1, but if Mike Tomlin wants Ben to spread the ball around thats whats going to happen

So true, these past 2 weeks have been such a fluke.  When Dionte returns, Claypool will drop to the #5 receiver behind Washington and Deon Cain.  Also remember Ebron and Vance McDonald will relegate Claypool to the #7 target for Big Ben.  So many mouths to feed, no way he can keep up his percentage snap count especially when Mike Tomlin wants Big Ben to spread the targets equally.

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

So true, these past 2 weeks have been such a fluke.  When Dionte returns, Claypool will drop to the #5 receiver behind Washington and Deon Cain.  Also remember Ebron and Vance McDonald will relegate Claypool to the #7 target for Big Ben.  So many mouths to feed, no way he can keep up his percentage snap count especially when Mike Tomlin wants Big Ben to spread the targets equally.

I didnt say that. Look at Tyreek Hill for KC. Great talent, flux in ppr pts per week. Thats what claypool could become if there are so many mouths to feed and they are winning games. Im not saying he couldnt break out, he certainly could especially if he saw the target share D Johnson was at the start of the season, but we dont know what the offense is going to look like when fully healthy, and thats what is going to determine his upside. He's a great player, has seen a bigger role, but how big when the offense is healthy will it get. 

8 hours ago, JacobThunder15 said:

Claypool is a rookie and there were zero preseason games. Seriously, are you knocking Claypool because of his snap counts in his first three professional games?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Claypool reminds me a bit of Metcalf, tall and strong and capable of winning contested balls, top end speed, run after catch, and end zone target threat. Oh and he gets some carries as well. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, pan55 said:

Claypool is a rookie and there were zero preseason games. Seriously, are you knocking Claypool because of his snap counts in his first three professional games?

Im knocking the opportunity upside, not the talent. Theyll get him the ball, but are they also going to take away targets from D Johnson and juju when he comes back? Its a possibility. We have yet to see what this offense will look like at full strength is what im saying. If Mike Tomlin is smart he is using this guy and he turns into a break out star, but we shouldnt base his outcome off 2 games where Johnson was hurt and him being the primary role in the slot. I think thats why they were okay sitting him this past week because Claypool has been balling

1 minute ago, pan55 said:

Claypool reminds me a bit of Metcalf, tall and strong and capable of winning contested balls, top end speed, run after catch, and end zone target threat. Oh and he gets some carries as well. 

Big Ben praises how intelligent he is as well - always understands the situations they are in.

What jumped out at me was that he has very strong hands to go along with the elite athleticism and size.

It is fun owning a guy with his skillset and role in the offense.

• Like 2

Claypool talent-wise reminds me of...wait for it....Josh Gordon. His strides look effortless when he's breaking away from defenders.

• Like 4

Check out the play at 1:30 where he almost gets the TD.  Catches a ball close to the sideline then cuts inside and then back out.  Almost outruns a bunch of defenders and elbow ruled down but a heck of a play here.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JacobThunder15 said:

1 hour ago, JacobThunder15 said:

I didnt say that. Look at Tyreek Hill for KC. Great talent, flux in ppr pts per week. Thats what claypool could become if there are so many mouths to feed and they are winning games. Im not saying he couldnt break out, he certainly could especially if he saw the target share D Johnson was at the start of the season, but we dont know what the offense is going to look like when fully healthy, and thats what is going to determine his upside. He's a great player, has seen a bigger role, but how big when the offense is healthy will it get. 

It has EVERYTHING to do with talent. This is the NFL, the players and coaching staff have a vested interest in doing everything in their power to win games. Right now you have a player that is scoring or coming extremely close to scoring at an extremely high rate in relation to his touches. What coach is going to say “Touchdowns be damned, we have to pass to everyone equally”?

9/10 times you’re right to be bearish on a rookie, but this looks like that 10th time. We’re saying that this kid legitimately looks like the next superstar at the position and that’s why you buy in to him. Not volume or opportunity. Those things are great, but in this case, they are the end result from the rare combination of physical attributes and talent that is being displayed, not the catalyst.

Nothing about Tyreek Hill or his situation In Kansas City is even remotely similar to Claypool’s aside from having a talented supporting cast. You might be better comparing Claypool to a leaner and faster Travis Kelce, though admittedly, still a pretty bad comparison. Hill is very talented, but there are a few other guys on that roster that provide similar services. That inability of Hill’s to largely differentiate himself from his associates is exactly why I don’t see any comparison with him to Chase Claypool. Due to the rarity of Claypool’s size and speed, he is already different than the overwhelming majority of receivers not only on the Steelers roster, but also the NFL.

Citing statistics from the first three games of a rookie’s season, in a season without a pre-season, may be the most useless thing that I’ve seen in awhile, and I’m at work.

Claypool was drafted to be a superstar - if they wanted a safe pick they would have taken J.K. Dobbins. He was considered a raw talent at the draft, and it was expected that he would take some time to grow into that role. RAVE reviews started coming out of camp not just from the Pittsburgh media, but also his teammates. Now, we too can see how much more developed he is than what we were expecting, and that he is consistently making the plays that you would expect from a seasoned veteran.

As you can tell, my chips are pretty far in Claypool’s corner at this point, and I’ll fully admit I’m biased. I happened to get him on a dynasty team as a late round afterthought, but the hype train a-cometh during training camp and I’ve been shoveling coal ever since. Being fantasy football, he could throw up multiple consecutive duds after I post this, but has anything that you have seen really made you think that will be the case? Don’t overthink this.

Choo choo.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, TsR1823 said:

It has EVERYTHING to do with talent. This is the NFL, the players and coaching staff have a vested interest in doing everything in their power to win games. Right now you have a player that is scoring or coming extremely close to scoring at an extremely high rate in relation to his touches. What coach is going to say “Touchdowns be damned, we have to pass to everyone equally”?

9/10 times you’re right to be bearish on a rookie, but this looks like that 10th time. We’re saying that this kid legitimately looks like the next superstar at the position and that’s why you buy in to him. Not volume or opportunity. Those things are great, but in this case, they are the end result from the rare combination of physical attributes and talent that is being displayed, not the catalyst.

Nothing about Tyreek Hill or his situation In Kansas City is even remotely similar to Claypool’s aside from having a talented supporting cast. You might be better comparing Claypool to a leaner and faster Travis Kelce, though admittedly, still a pretty bad comparison. Hill is very talented, but there are a few other guys on that roster that provide similar services. That inability of Hill’s to largely differentiate himself from his associates is exactly why I don’t see any comparison with him to Chase Claypool. Due to the rarity of Claypool’s size and speed, he is already different than the overwhelming majority of receivers not only on the Steelers roster, but also the NFL.

Citing statistics from the first three games of a rookie’s season, in a season without a pre-season, may be the most useless thing that I’ve seen in awhile, and I’m at work.

Claypool was drafted to be a superstar - if they wanted a safe pick they would have taken J.K. Dobbins. He was considered a raw talent at the draft, and it was expected that he would take some time to grow into that role. RAVE reviews started coming out of camp not just from the Pittsburgh media, but also his teammates. Now, we too can see how much more developed he is than what we were expecting, and that he is consistently making the plays that you would expect from a seasoned veteran.

As you can tell, my chips are pretty far in Claypool’s corner at this point, and I’ll fully admit I’m biased. I happened to get him on a dynasty team as a late round afterthought, but the hype train a-cometh during training camp and I’ve been shoveling coal ever since. Being fantasy football, he could throw up multiple consecutive duds after I post this, but has anything that you have seen really made you think that will be the case? Don’t overthink this.

Choo choo.

Diontae johnson is back at practice today, and trending to playing. We will see how much we should buy into this when he returns

I would suspect that people who picked him off the waiver wire have him as their WR3/FLEX.  He is the perfect guy for that since he will most likely not receive much volume but the big play upside is obviously there.

When all 4 WRs are healthy, it remains to be seen what the pecking order will look like but he clearly has the most upside on this team and has a QB who historically just locks onto one guy.  His involvement in the offense should give you confidence that he will have a decent floor because they are forcing touches his way.  Big Ben only threw the ball 22 times last week in negative game script for the passing game and Claypool still had double digit fantasy points and was very close to having a 3 TD game.  

The guy just makes play after play...plain and simple.  He is converting 3rd downs at a tremendous clip and so it is difficult to see the coaches taking him off the field.  Led the WR group with a 78% snap count in week 6 FYI.

Edited by ludawg23
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, JacobThunder15 said:

Diontae johnson is back at practice today, and trending to playing. We will see how much we should buy into this when he returns

Wouldn’t have it any other way - and I get where you’re coming from as a position of caution. From a standpoint of setting your roster, it’s not a wrong opinion to have. From the perspective of whether you want him on your roster, you of course have to consider the cost of acquisition, but the I believe it’s a resounding “yes.” I think though that Diontae Johnson is a false variable, and I don’t see how he is seen as some entrenched veteran. He’s a fantasy football breakout darling. Don’t get me wrong, I think he is and is going to be a great receiver, but why do we assume at this point that targeting him takes precedence over targeting Claypool. The real loser from Johnson coming back will be Ray Ray McCloud. First drive of the game will depend on coverage and matchups, then it’s a matter of who makes the plays.

Im personally going to have Claypool in my starting lineup until he proves otherwise. I like the risk/reward side of the game. It’s just a matter of time until I change all of my team names to Mapletron and the Delectacons.

• Haha 1

He will dominate targets. Have a great 1.5 games, then get a concussion and leave. Rinse and repeat.

Serious question tho. If you were a defensive coordinator, how would you cover the PIT WRs? Who do you focus on?  I feel like Diontae, when healthy is just going to be a nightmare for defenses. 

1 minute ago, UMFLADFWM said:

With all Pitt WRs back and playing... how would you rank them for ROS?  From fantasy perspective. 

Claypool a WR2 but great upside that leads him to a near low end WR1 level

Johnson a low end WR2 with a week tilting ceiling but prob too injury prone

JuJu a back-end TE1

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Im benching him this week just to sort it out with DJ on the lineup how hes going to be used

4 minutes ago, konstao said:

Im benching him this week just to sort it out with DJ on the lineup how hes going to be used

I think he's still going to get plenty of looks even with DJ back. He's not going to be the #1 target IMO but he'll remain a strong WR2/3 start most weeks with the potential to explode at any given moment.

42 minutes ago, konstao said:

At your own peril

• Like 1

23 hours ago, konstao said:

I think this projects to be a fairly high scoring game. Claypools homerun hitting ability alone makes him a good play this week, even if Diontae retains his old target volume.

14 minutes ago, sSektor said:

I think this projects to be a fairly high scoring game. Claypools homerun hitting ability alone makes him a good play this week, even if Diontae retains his old target volume.

I would be surprised if Diontae comes back and receives that type of target share going forward - they realize what they have with Claypool now.  It's not like Diontae is some vet with tenure on the team to demand that type of target share (AB for example).