Boudewijn

Chase Claypool 2020 Outlook

4 minutes ago, ludawg23 said:

I would be surprised if Diontae comes back and receives that type of target share going forward - they realize what they have with Claypool now.  It's not like Diontae is some vet with tenure on the team to demand that type of target share (AB for example).

Diontae is open like 90% of the time on short-intermediate routes and is great at getting YAC. While Claypool is a monster I don't think he has near the route running polish and immediate separation ability that DJ has right now. I own both also and am leaning towards Claypool for the ceiling this week.

Have y’all seen Tennessee’s defense? I would start both lmao. 

• Like 1

Going to be used alot as a deep ball threat but I think he can still eat. You'll see some 3rec/60 yards game, 6rec/120yd/td games and some 1 catch 20 yd games 

In this thread and the Dionte Johnson thread, some people are far too either/or.  It is entirely possible (I think likely) that both of these guys are startable as WR2s ROS.  Whether one is going to ascend to every week WR1 is TBD.  But there have been plenty of WR tandems that have been weekly starters in fantasy, esp. in PPR.  Brandon Marshall/Alshon Jeffrey, Evans/Godwin, Vincent Jackson/Mike Evans.  The Steelers have had several under Ben.  I feel like this could be an Emmanuel Sanders/Demaryius Thomas tandem. Claypool can do a little bit of everything but I don’t see him necessarily being a volume receiver. But he can go up and get it and he’s strong and fast. Johnson is more of a Sanders role who runs more short/intermediate routes but can go deep.  I would start either one of these guys without hesitation.

• Like 2

Most analysts and fantasy outlets can agree that Claypool has the most upside in this offense - Dionte might be the guy that will receive more of a target share but agree that both seem to fall into the WR2 area.

With that being said, health seems to be an issue for Dionte.

• Like 1

Lot’s of Diontae noise in here! Claypool is on another level entirely. Dude is a Beast with outstanding athletic ability at 6’4” 240ish. No 2020 preseason & has accomplished huge gains, TD’s in real life & Fantasy. Perhaps some Steelers Fans, I.E., TsR1823 can shed more light on this: before Ben’s elbow gave out; how many targets per game did he send Diontae’s way last year? This month, Ben praised Claypool as person & WR, the Kid delivers almost every time he throws him the ball. My money is on the Steelers getting him the ball more not less, no matter who else is on the field with their offense. Who would you throw the football to?!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lambfordinner said:

Lot’s of Diontae noise in here! Claypool is on another level entirely. Dude is a Beast with outstanding athletic ability at 6’4” 240ish. No 2020 preseason & has accomplished huge gains, TD’s in real life & Fantasy. Perhaps some Steelers Fans, I.E., TsR1823 can shed more light on this: before Ben’s elbow gave out; how many targets per game did he send Diontae’s way last year? This month, Ben praised Claypool as person & WR, the Kid delivers almost every time he throws him the ball. My money is on the Steelers getting him the ball more not less, no matter who else is on the field with their offense. Who would you throw the football to?!

I hate to say it but Diontae is last year's news. He was good with Rudolph and the other backup QBs but big ben had no history with him. Big Ben is developing that chemistry with Claypool, not johnson.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Chase Claypool is the Aaron Judge of Fantasy football. Think about it. 

5 hours ago, FeastMode said:

It is entirely possible (I think likely) that both of these guys are startable as WR2s ROS.

Proudly starting both. They're both super talented, but in different ways. Bye already over. It'll take another find to consider benching either.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lambfordinner said:

I had to refresh my memory a little bit since it tried to forget last season in its entirety. Diontae had 3 catches in what, if I’m remembering correctly, was a complete route by the Patriots week 1. By halftime week 2 Ben was done for the season.

Prior to Claypool’s emergence, Diontae had 10 and 13 targets. In week 6, the Steelers threw 10 fewer passes than their 2020 per game average, so even if you are worried that Diontae comes back to the same target numbers, there is room for him to return without affecting Claypool’s 4 targets from last week. If anything, I would think that Diontae would cede touches to Claypool, not the other way around. I mean, I would expect that Diontae’s target numbers are very likely not going up. At the very least, though, we’ve seen that Claypool can be effective on 4-5 targets. Heck, he could have reasonably had 5 or 6 touchdowns in week 5 and 3 in week 6. There will likely be some lean weeks where the naysayers come back to tell us how right they were, but given the high quality touches that he is getting there is a high chance for him to come out of any given week with a long pass reception, a touchdown, or both.  His near misses aren’t flukey situations either, they’re typically plays where he creates something.

It has been mentioned that his routes could still use some work, but his size and athleticism likely give him a little leeway where maybe he doesn’t get as open, but he then goes up over a defender. Local media members have noted his proficiency at some more nuanced areas of the position such as bodying out defenders and attacking/high-pointing the football. Ben has also frequently mentions how quick of a learner he is and how he doesn’t make the same mistake twice.

Its a lot of stuff that you want to hear. He’s not perfect, but he seems to have enough going on for him to be very dangerous. Add in all of the other guys that defenses have to account for, and look out.

Edited by TsR1823
Removed redundancy
  • Thanks 1

[...] How serious was the Diontae Johnson injury? The only way he will be relevant is if that guy misses time. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

4 minutes ago, noles1983 said:

|...] How serious was the Diontae Johnson injury? The only way he will be relevant is if that guy misses time. 

He returned to action 

1 minute ago, Travis Burten said:

He returned to action 

Well, ****. Yeah this dude is riding the bench until Johnson is hurt again, which might not be too far down the road. 

• Haha 2

Trust the talent, even studs put up duds sometimes 

50 pass attempts and only 1 target for Claypool. He isn't startable unless another WR gets injured. Frustrating.

Edited by drisser

Not looking forward to rostering this headache. Guaranteed he goes off next week when everyone benches him.