Boudewijn

Chase Claypool 2020 Outlook

The only thing that I could find this early was from PFF, and they claimed Claypool was on the field for 65% of offensive snaps.

According to Mark Kaboly at the Pittsburgh Athletic, Claypool almost exclusively faced off against Malcom Butler. The Steelers did move him around the formation, but considering that what they had was working I don’t think that Ben felt the need to force anything to him. If nothing else, this was a great learning experience. The Steelers game plan was to control the ball and keep the Titans offense off of the field, so with that being the goal, it would have been rather ill advised to start chucking 50/50 balls to Claypool. Unofficially, it sounds like he had 3 targets with 2 getting negated because of penalties, one being a defensive PI that he drew.

Next week will be a tough call. I started both Diontae and Claypool expecting the Steelers to need around 30 points to win, but games vs the Ravens are routinely low scoring and close games. I would be interested to see if there are any heat charts on where offenses are having success against the Ravens defense. Still early, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Steelers try to play similar game plan vs Baltimore. Strike early, control the ball, build the lead, and make Lamar Jackson beat them with his arm. If that’s the case then I may be tempted to either bench all of my Steelers WR’s or roll Johnson out again. With that said though, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if Claypool put up 60-70 yards and 1-2 touchdowns come Sunday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ludawg23 said:

Will be interesting to see what the snap count was.  Anyone watch the game and could tell if he had a full compliment of snaps?

Next week, they go up against a very good secondary so tough test for this offense.

The Steelers are more than fine to beat you with their other weapons if a team wants to focus on any one particular guy.

65%

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ludawg23 said:

Will be interesting to see what the snap count was.  Anyone watch the game and could tell if he had a full compliment of snaps?

He had 51 snaps vs 65 and 59 for Juju and DJ, respectively. Washington only had 18.

Agree that it will be interesting to see how this evolves, 60% target share across 2 WRs seems unlikely to continue.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, trilly said:

He had 51 snaps vs 65 and 59 for Juju and DJ, respectively. Washington only had 18.

Agree that it will be interesting to see how this evolves, 60% target share across 2 WRs seems unlikely to continue.

Or he could just be a shiny decoy who's main purpose is keeping safeties away from diontae Johnson ROS.... 

• Like 1

On 10/19/2020 at 11:38 PM, BIGFATPANDA said:

3rd. Best wr on his team...

This aged well... smoke and mirrors fellas... fantasy football isn’t hard!

2 hours ago, Kaii23 said:

Or he could just be a shiny decoy who's main purpose is keeping safeties away from diontae Johnson ROS.... 

No one is a decoy without actually proving that they can be productive. This situation will continue to evolve

1 hour ago, BIGFATPANDA said:

This aged well... smoke and mirrors fellas... fantasy football isn’t hard!

All three are really good but based on the way the Titans approached the game, they disagree with you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BigBlueMachine said:

All three are really good but based on the way the Titans approached the game, they disagree with you.

For real. Malcolm Butler doesn't man up the opposing teams worst WR 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Don't forget Claypool went 3 for 81 and a td in game #2 as a rookie while dj was playing. Now he's fully overtaken James Washington as the starter. He's gonna have his good games. Don't jump ship. 

• Like 1

Agreed, he's gonna bounce back. They went all in on stopping him with the uncertainty of DJ injury. Teams will start to focus more on DJ as the year goes on opening up opportunities. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, afro insomniac said:

Agreed, he's gonna bounce back. They went all in on stopping him with the uncertainty of DJ injury. Teams will start to focus more on DJ as the year goes on opening up opportunities. 

The thing about that is that this team has 3 good if not great WRs and Connor as a work horse stud. They cant put too much presence on DJ. This is like Metcalf and Lockett, metcalf was the freak of nature doubled and taken out of the game. Lockett hit all the targets, similar case here

7 minutes ago, JacobThunder15 said:

The thing about that is that this team has 3 good if not great WRs and Connor as a work horse stud. They cant put too much presence on DJ. This is like Metcalf and Lockett, metcalf was the freak of nature doubled and taken out of the game. Lockett hit all the targets, similar case here

I wouldn't call juju great. 

2 minutes ago, Kaii23 said:

I wouldn't call juju great. 

This is arguably one of the best trio of WRs in the NFL as individual talent stands. Juju has been good, not seen many targets but this team is undefeated, they arent having to rely on Ben because the defense has been so elite. I want the guy who is getting the target share over the upside in talent all day. This is almost similar to Thielen and Jefferson. Jefferson in the long run could be better than Thielen in his career, but Cousins loves Thielen. 

31 minutes ago, TTo34 said:

When Jimmy watches Chase catch 1 pass for -2 yards.

robert-l-williams__15980.gif

Legit spit out my water from laughing seeing this. Well done. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Not starting him next week. Only Diontae is safe against BAL. But you better believe he'll start again against the 'Boys on week 9.

Edited by MKO3090

i have DJ & Clay & I am looking at clay as having the direct cuff. I have read that the titans were scheming to take away claypool last week but I think if DJ were to miss time the claypool show would be forced into action

• Like 1

I’m rewatching the game on NFL Network right now and Malcom butler followed Claypool all over the field. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

I’m rewatching the game on NFL Network right now and Malcom butler followed Claypool all over the field. 

Along with safety help over the top on every play

• Like 2

May be forced to start him this week. Hopefully he can get at least 8 or 9 points this time.

Big test for Ben and their trio of WRs.  Humphries/Peters/Smith are all pretty solid so Ben will need his guys to win their individual match-ups.

11 hours ago, drisser said:

May be forced to start him this week. Hopefully he can get at least 8 or 9 points this time.

I'm benching him.

You're welcome for the 30 fantasy points.

14 hours ago, Power-O said:

i have DJ & Clay & I am looking at clay as having the direct cuff. I have read that the titans were scheming to take away claypool last week but I think if DJ were to miss time the claypool show would be forced into action

Yeah that's how I'm looking at it in general. I expect DJ to be the better play typically but if he goes down again then Claypool would be a worthy play. 

• Like 1