Rotoworld.com Forums

Chase Claypool 2020 Outlook

1 hour ago, MingusDew said:

13 targets and a designed run to end the game. 

Ben loves this kid and he’s going to eat ROS, mark my words.

He came so close to having a monster game, they barely misconnected on a couple bombs that he would have taken to the house.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Longtime lurker and Steelers fan, but I've been watching Claypool closely since the rave reviews started coming out of camp, so I'm going to wade into this debate. I think this take is pretty reasonab

When Jimmy watches Chase catch 1 pass for -2 yards.

And the loser here is Aaron Rodgers.  I was wondering what Rodgers must be thinking, here is an historically deep and freakishly talented rookie WR class....and Green Bay drafted a backup QB and a 3rd

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

He came so close to having a monster game, they barely misconnected on a couple bombs that he would have taken to the house.

Yup, right at the beginning of the game he got grabbed and it messed up his route. Would have been like a 50-yard TD.

That was a really tough game to watch. Neither Ben nor his receivers, with maybe the exception of Juju, looked very sharp. Ben wasn’t making the best throws, receivers (including Claypool) were dropping catchable balls, and the refs seemed to swallow the whistle on the PI calls - though this may have been because the balls were deemed uncatchable. He did make a pretty nice sideline grab at one point and probably 3-4 of those targets were deep balls.

Better things on the horizon as long as Rudolph doesn’t ever have to go in. The final drive of the first half might have been the low point of 2020 for the city of Pittsburgh.

He had some drops and balls go right thru his hands, also had trouble tracking the long ball. He could of had a massive game, like a 40-50pt performance. He still did well because Ben kept looking for him. Clean things up Claypool and we good, this offense is starting to air it out and can easily handle 2-3 WRs 

Edited by Tomei7
  • Like 2
41 minutes ago, Tomei7 said:

He had some drops and balls go right thru his hands, also had trouble tracking the long ball. He could of had a massive game, like a 40-50pt performance. He still did well because Ben kept looking for him. Clean things up Claypool and we good, this offense is starting to air it out and can easily handle 2-3 WRs 

Like the usage, but D Johnson caught almost every ball thrown his way and are we confident that they throw the ball this much? If the targets come down, AND he isnt catching the ones his way, im not sure this is a set and forget kinda guy. 

He is already a set and forget guy IMO. He's been incredibly consistent. He's going to be in the top 20 overall at the WR position after this week and that's including a BYE and a goose egg where he fumbled his only touch. He probably needs an injury to one of the other WRs to have another monster game, but I am more than happy with this type of production from a guy I got for free.

• Like 3
41 minutes ago, JacobThunder15 said:

Like the usage, but D Johnson caught almost every ball thrown his way and are we confident that they throw the ball this much? If the targets come down, AND he isnt catching the ones his way, im not sure this is a set and forget kinda guy. 

Actually DJ had plenty of drops also, they may have had the same amount of drops tbh. As the looks of it Ben is starting to feel more and more comfortable running the offense like he wants which is spread it out and sling it. Ben is starting to look like the Ben of old. Let Ben Cook!!!! But Claypool needs to clean things up, which I think he will, because Ben has been giving him plenty of gd looks. 

Edited by Tomei7
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, timexsocialclub said:

Next great Steelers WR or are the 3 amigos going to continue to all be heavily involved, thereby limiting their collective ceilings?

Now that we’re 9 games in, I would say a little bit of both. It is really encouraging though that he’s averaging 10 targets over his past three games. I also saw a stat floating around that his 9 touchdowns in 9 games is the most of any rookie receiver since 1970, so he definitely looks like he’s a special player and he’s getting a lot of high value targets. It’s very much looking like the Steelers will not have the cap space to afford a luxury like Juju, so while he’s proving proving productive this season, there’s definitely reason to be excited if you have him in dynasty or keeper leagues.

18 hours ago, JacobThunder15 said:

As of right now, the Steelers are averaging around 37 pass attempts per game, with the last two games falling on the high side of the spectrum (45, 46). So no, they won’t always pass that much, but as I said above though, he’s averaged 10 targets over his last 3 games and is consistently being targeted in the end zone. He’s a set and forget guy in the sense that you can’t selectively rotate him in and out of your lineup. With his opportunity and usage, you have to accept that you might have the occasional clunker in order to take advantage of the high upside. That volatility seems to be pretty consistent with the tier of wr’s just outside of the top 12. It doesn’t make him a Davante Adams type of set and forget, but if you drafted guys like Cooper Kupp or Amari Cooper, then yeah, I would consider Claypool set and forget.

Claypool needs to clean up the drops, but I highly doubt that unless he turns into Limas Swede or Donte Moncrief overnight that he will see a performance based reduction in targets. If we take off our Mr. Big Chest Goggles™, we notice that Diontae Johnson too has committed his share of drops and sophomore mistakes this season, but he is still an important part of the offense. Ben trusts these guys, and he also understands that they’re not going to improve if he doesn’t give them opportunities to improve.

Another a side note that I thought of while writing this too - the wind in western PA was crazy this past Sunday. I wouldn’t for a minute discount the affect it had on the passing game, especially considering 3 or 4 of Claypool’s targets were deep balls that they just weren’t able to connect on.

• Like 2