Boudewijn

Chase Claypool 2020 Outlook

He plays a role on this team only he can play. He’s the only field stretcher and Ben loves the deep ball. He’s gonna buy a guy with a low snap count but gets a couple chances a game to take the kid off the D and provide a big body in the red zone. Mart Bryant had an instant role in this offense cause he could ran straight and fast. I expect the same for claypool. 

8 minutes ago, Spina said:

Yea right...I'll totally disregard what the offensive coordinator said....

Thanks for setting me straight. Not worthing having at the very end of my bench to see. Dropped.

Why would the offensive coordinator say "Yeah, he's looked like ****. I don't see him getting any touches this season."

Unless JuJu gets traded/injured and Diontae gets injured, when is he going to see the field? Is Roethlisberger going to somehow consistently support four receivers? Depending on league format, there are about 25 guys in free agency right now I'd rather have taking up my last bench spot.

Also, I didn't even read your post until you got butthurt. I wasn't attacking you. Relax.

Anyone holding in redrafts? Seems 4th on the depth chart after Juju, Johnson, and Washington, but it is week 1...

23 minutes ago, young dude said:

Anyone holding in redrafts? Seems 4th on the depth chart after Juju, Johnson, and Washington, but it is week 1...

Uh yeah I'm holding for sure.

He looked like the best wr on the team and it wasn't close. Washington is awful and Diontae Johnson is one bad game away from losing his starting role too. Claypool can find an inch wide seam out of bounds and turn it into a big grab, and has the toughness to block too.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, young dude said:

If you play in very leagues with deep benches, sure. I suspect that Juju and Diontae are just resting after MNF. Claypool did make some great plays though and it really did pop and flash that he does get it. Ideal dynasty target but 2020 contribution gonna take a severe injury or two.

12 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Ayone see the game? How were his catches?

His touchdown was nasty. He’s a burner and a massive target for Ben. I stand by what I said earlier in the thread, he’s gonna get a couple shot plays every week. 

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

His touchdown was nasty. He’s a burner and a massive target for Ben. I stand by what I said earlier in the thread, he’s gonna get a couple shot plays every week. 

He's more than just a burner.  The kid has a ton of tools including a lot of speed.  If either JuJu or Donate go down, he's going to be awfully fun to watch play.  Remember, JuJu's contract is up after this year.  If Dionate takes a next step this year (and he very well might), Claypool would be a number two next year.  Awfully nice dynasty asset to have on your bench right now.

Edited by IlliniGuy76

2 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

He's more than just a burner.  The kid has a ton of tools including a lot of speed.  If either JuJu or Donate go down, he's going to be awfully fun to watch play.  Remember, JuJu's contract is up after this year.  If Dionate takes a next step this year, you very well might have Claypool as a number two next year.  Awfully nice dynasty asset to have on your bench right now.

Don't need any contingencies at all to make this guy a fantasy WR2 right now. He makes the best plays on the team and is doing everything he can to be this teams alpha by midseason.

2 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

He's more than just a burner.  The kid has a ton of tools including a lot of speed.  If either JuJu or Donate go down, he's going to be awfully fun to watch play.  Remember, JuJu's contract is up after this year.  If Dionate takes a next step this year, you very well might have Claypool as a number two next year.  Awfully nice dynasty asset to have on your bench right now.

I find it hard to believe the Steelers letting JuJu go but I agree that Claypool is a nice dynasty stash.

1 minute ago, pushaZ said:

Don't need any contingencies at all to make this guy a fantasy WR2 right now. He makes the best plays on the team and is doing everything he can to be this teams alpha by midseason.

He's not going to be the Steelers #1 WR this year... zero chance.  Not with JuJu and Dionate there.

1 minute ago, Cdub2k said:

I find it hard to believe the Steelers letting JuJu go but I agree that Claypool is a nice dynasty stash.

Wouldn't surprise me - they know Diontae is a very very good young player.  They took Claypool in the second round for a reason; he's a stud talent.

Just now, IlliniGuy76 said:

He's not going to be the Steelers #1 WR this year... zero chance.  Not with JuJu and Dionate there.

You think this guy isn't better than JuJu and Diontae? Let's see some analytics to prove it. Steelers aren't going to keep feeding their other WRs if this guy makes a big play every time he's called on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

You think this guy isn't better than JuJu and Diontae? Let's see some analytics to prove it. Steelers aren't going to keep feeding their other WRs if this guy makes a big play every time he's called on.

Smith Schuster right now is one of the best receivers in the game.  Diontae had 60 catches for 700 yards last year with garbage throwing to him & also has a very nice skillset.  Analytics to prove it?  Watch your television.

4 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Smith Schuster right now is one of the best receivers in the game.  Diontae had 60 catches for 700 yards last year with garbage throwing to him & also has a very nice skillset.  Analytics to prove it?  Watch your television.

You were the guy raving about Antonio Brown 3 years ago when Juju was still on waivers. I watch the games on my phone in high definition and I'm seeing in Chase Claypool an extremely high QB rating when targeted. On a team with a less established pecking order than you think.

• Like 1

WR4 in 12-14 teamers. Let him sit on the waivers in 10-teamers. As a die-hard Steelers fan, there's not enough volume to escalate him in to your starting lineup right now. Ben's back but the Steeler's are going to live by their philosophy(establish the run). Expecting him to breakout 2nd half of this year and be a steal in next years draft as a WR 2/3. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

You were the guy raving about Antonio Brown 3 years ago when Juju was still on waivers. I watch the games on my phone in high definition and I'm seeing in Chase Claypool an extremely high QB rating when targeted. On a team with a less established pecking order than you think.

Huh?  Don't want to hijack this thread, but you have no clue what you're talking about (bolded).  Something posted three years ago? Hilarious.

Less established pecking order?  Smith Schuster has been targeted 14 times in two games - Diontae Johnson 23;  Chase Claypool 5 times.  Shockingly, there is a pretty clear pecking order.

Edited by IlliniGuy76

4 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Huh?  Don't want to hijack this thread, but you have on clue what you're talking about (bolded).

Less established pecking order?  Smith Schuster has been targeted 14 times in two games - Diontae Johnson 23;  Chase Claypool 5 times.  Shockingly, there is a pretty clear pecking order.

Claypool has only 22 fewer yards on 21% of Diontae Johnson's targets and also hasn't lost an ugly fumble, and you think your target distribution will stay that way the entire year if that trend continues? Maybe you should have read a little more about what the coaching staff said about Claypool.

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/news/steelers-chase-claypool-play

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

Claypool has only 22 fewer yards on 21% of Diontae Johnson's targets and also hasn't lost an ugly fumble, and you think your target distribution will stay that way the entire year if that trend continues? Maybe you should have read a little more about what the coaching staff said about Claypool.

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/news/steelers-chase-claypool-play

Dude, I'm done - this is idiotic.  You're going to pull out the "few yards" insight to attempt to prove your point  when you know that Claypool had one catch for 84 yards today.  Seriously?  And you're going to cite an "ugly fumble" when the same player has seen 23 targets in two games to five?  Give me a break.

And, yes... I know about what the coaching staff said a month and a half ago in the article you posted;  it's the very reason why Claypool is on my dynasty team.  

With that said - Claypool is playing and he's seen 5 targets for a reason.  I DO think Claypool with see more targets as the season goes on but not at the clip that you believe he will.  Ju Ju and Diontae are just far too talented.

Edited by IlliniGuy76
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Dude, I'm done - this is idiotic.  You're going to pull out the "few yards" insight to attempt to prove your point  when you know that Claypool had one catch for 84 yards today.  Seriously?  And you're going to cite an "ugly fumble" when the same player has seen 23 targets in two games to five?  Give me a break.

And, yes... I know about what the coaching staff said a month and a half ago in the article you posted;  it's the very reason why Claypool is on my dynasty team.  

With that said - Claypool is playing and he's seen 5 targets for a reason.  I DO think Claypool with see more targets as the season goes on but not at the clip that you believe he will.  Ju Ju and Diontae are just far too talented.

He had three catches. You don't sound like much an expert.

I dont envision Claypool forcing out JuJu or Dionte but if he keeps this up hes going to force them to find ways to get him on the field.....last buy low window may be closing.....in dynasty/keeper its probably long gone....I cant see Pitt throwing crazy money at JuJu while keeping this guy on the bench next yr....think he and Diontae are the starting to next yr and he moves from a #4 WR this yr to a #2 WR next yr and possibly higher if he keeps this up....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/21/2020 at 8:21 AM, Big Tuna said:

I dont envision Claypool forcing out JuJu or Dionte but if he keeps this up hes going to force them to find ways to get him on the field.....last buy low window may be closing.....in dynasty/keeper its probably long gone....I cant see Pitt throwing crazy money at JuJu while keeping this guy on the bench next yr....think he and Diontae are the starting to next yr and he moves from a #4 WR this yr to a #2 WR next yr and possibly higher if he keeps this up....

I agree that the buy low window is nearing an end.... 

2 hours ago, Fried Pork Grind said:

I agree that the buy low window is nearing an end.... 

Efficiency monster and super dynasty hold. He will be the reason JuJu walks.

Keep an eye on Diontae’s toe injury. If it’s bad enough to keep him out Sunday, I have to think Claypool will be someone worth considering as a Flex. 

• Like 3