Boudewijn

Chase Claypool 2020 Outlook

Gives me some vintage Brandon Marshall vibes. Wait on your lineups all you want, but this is the only time that will be possible to roster him. Best of luck to everyone in this week's waivers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

ChaseClaypoolsCleats?

Yup exactly cause his future is bright. Wish I was able to change my tag on here.

I'm not trying to be negative as I was very high on Claypool coming out of the draft, but in terms of that "10 reasons" list above, essentially all were true Saturday night, and the guy had done nothing and was on waivers in essentially every league outside of dynasty. 

Could he be a stud from here out? Sure. But we've certainly seen guys have a huge week which proved to be an anomaly. All I'm saying is I'm not sure I'd empty the FAAB for him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I'm not trying to be negative as I was very high on Claypool coming out of the draft, but in terms of that "10 reasons" list above, essentially all were true Saturday night, and the guy had done nothing and was on waivers in essentially every league outside of dynasty. 

Could he be a stud from here out? Sure. But we've certainly seen guys have a huge week which proved to be an anomaly. All I'm saying is I'm not sure I'd empty the FAAB for him. 

I'm kind of in a similar boat. The thing I'm trying to disect here is how does this offense look when all their WRs are healthy? It sounds like Diontae has a decent chance of playing next week, so how does this change Claypool's outlook when they are all on the field? Obviously Diontae being knocked out of this last game opened up a huge door for Claypool and he took advantage of those opportunities. But I'm curious how the targets will be spread out going forward...I doubt Juju and Diontae are just suddenly going to be phased out as the secondary options in this passing attack behind Claypool. If I'm wrong about that, then he's certainly worth every penny of your FAAB money and #1 waiver pick. But I find it more likely than not that Juju are Diontae remain a large enough part of the offense to hold Claypool back from being a fantasy stud this year.

• Like 1

This is one of those cases when I'm gonna zig while everyone is zagging. I'd like to get a share or two but I'm gonna go after the other depth pieces I need because I know they'll be easy to obtain because everyone wants this guy. Hopefully I don't miss out too hard.

Edited by Benjamin1984
  • Like 1

AFC Offensive Player of the Week: https://www.steelers.com/news/claypool-wins-top-afc-offensive-honor

"He's talented," said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. "He has got some God-given abilities that not many people in this world have. He's big, fast, and strong, and he's very, very smart. So, we're able to do those things like move him around and do some things with him.

"That last touchdown, a perfect example, changed the play, and he makes it happen. I just have to give him a little bit of a cue on it, and it's awesome. I'm just really proud of the way that he's playing right now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/13/2020 at 1:24 PM, sportsfreak2744 said:

Get a very strong Vincent Jackson vibe from Claypool. Nearly identical in size. (Jackson was listed 6'5, 230 and Claypool at 6'4, 238). Jackson had 4.46 40yd, Claypool 4.42.

Maybe he's what Martavis Bryant could/should have been. 

Considering Conner hasn't been all that effective and Snell/McFarland if forced into duty would be a downgrade I think sky is limit for Claypool this year. As someone else mentioned, Juju hasn't cemented himself as the #1, Dionate is dinged up. 

I could see this all coming together

I like the VJax comp but I think he’s got more toughness and a greater ability to break tackles than VJax. There’s some really huge names being thrown out for this kid who’s only played a handful of NFL games but I’ll throw out a Terrell Owens comp after watching his tape from last year and this year.

He surely looks to have a lot more muscle than most of the rookie WRs. 
I’ll admit, I saw the highlights and he is a guy you would think has been in the weight room for 2 off seasons and in his third year in the NFL. A lot more bulk on him. 

Diontae could lose his spot. At the very least, if you get him on waivers, he would be a big trade chip 

I've already rolled him out once this season out of necessity, now considering rolling him out again. Going to be really interesting to see his usage with a healthy Diontae and if he's earned a starting role.

Edited by trilly

6 hours ago, Tomy said:

Very interesting player.

Big Ben seems to love it

[...]

but i love this player, fast, strong, very interesting

[...]

I am getting big time Martavis Bryant vibes here. If Martavis was able to control his weed use I think he would've had a massive career. And Claypool looks to be very similarly skilled and just as if not even more physically gifted. Great head on his shoulders; very intelligent (not saying Martavis wasn't). 

I like Preston Williams but Claypool is the choice here for me, without looking back.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed assistant coach content
  • Like 4

This kid looks super explosive and built like a tank - very rare combination of size, speed and high football IQ according to Ben.

If he can carve out a bigger role/target share or if Johnson can't get healthy, he should be very fantasy relevant in a Big Ben offense.  The Steelers always seem to knock it out of the park with WR draft picks.

A lot of designed runs plays here to get the ball into his hands and I noticed a lot of 3rd down conversions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ludawg23 said:

This kid looks super explosive and built like a tank - very rare combination of size, speed and high football IQ according to Ben.

If he can carve out a bigger role/target share or if Johnson can't get healthy, he should be very fantasy relevant in a Big Ben offense.  The Steelers always seem to knock it out of the park with WR draft picks.

A lot of designed runs plays here to get the ball into his hands and I noticed a lot of 3rd down conversions.

They are CERTAINLY, purposely feeding him the ball.

That tells me they KNOW he's special.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, griffin727 said:

I have a choice between him and Dionte and not sure who I'd rather have.

I have both currently. Love Diontaes talent but have been burned by his 1st quarter exits twice now and would rather wait for him to get a full game in.

Claypool had a game better than anything we probably ever dreamed up for DJ this season and Ben doesn't shy away from targeting his studs. I am confident that the Steelers are smart enough to build off his breakout rather than keep him buried in snaps behind Washington.

+61.9% jump in ownership in ESPN leagues after waivers. I can't recall the last time I've ever seen that big of a jump.

3 minutes ago, trolltoll said:

+61.9% jump in ownership in ESPN leagues after waivers. I can't recall the last time I've ever seen that big of a jump.

Kevin Ogletree after week 1 in 2012

• Haha 1

Don't know if this will pan out but I am excited to see how the dominoes fall.  He is in a great situation with a QB that really trusts him.

Also, I blew most of my remaining FAAB dollars on him so I'm committed 😄

Who are some guys like Claypool from years past who became year 1 studs? Not in terms of play style, but in terms of being rookies who were on the waiver.

1 minute ago, ILuvABGs said:

Who are some guys like Claypool from years past who became year 1 studs? Not in terms of play style, but in terms of being rookies who were on the waiver.

Chark last year 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ILuvABGs said:

OBJ?

Don't remember if he was a waiver guy though but OBJ's rookie year was a heck of a ride.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ludawg23 said:

Watching his week 3 targets. Only had 4, but he was a PI on a deep shot, a bad throw by Ben in the red zone, and a half step out of bounds before the pylon away from having a monster 3 tuddy day in week 3 too. 

The ole’ eyeball test is telling me that 3 out of 4 weeks he’s been getting really valuable high quality looks from Ben and it all finally came together last weekend. Or maybe I’m just biased cause I was able to snag him in both my leagues this morning. lol. I’m stoked though. Think he can be a top 15 WR by season’s end. 

Edited by mdefaz13

2 minutes ago, ludawg23 said:

OBJ?

Don't remember if he was a waiver guy though but OBJ's rookie year was a heck of a ride.

OBJ was most likely on waiver since he missed the first 4 games of the season.

7 minutes ago, ILuvABGs said:

Odell Beckham, Stefon Diggs, Keenan Allen, Terry McLaurin

• Like 2