Boudewijn

Michael Thomas 2020 Outlook

On 5/10/2020 at 2:22 AM, Savatage79 said:

Easiest pick every season

Not this season lol 😂 just playing he should bounce back happens to the best of them

1 hour ago, dayvidhong said:

anyone watch the game see why MT was so quiet? was the locked up by one of the corners? Or was it just gameplan? 

Carlton Davis happened. 

Brees making him pay for those comments. Only 5 targets. The mole giveth and the mole taketh away. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, MrPositive said:

Brees making him pay for those comments. Only 5 targets. The mole giveth and the mole taketh away. 

Was thinking the same exact thing honestly ..... you never know too be honest.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MrPositive said:

I sadly thought this as well. How do you go from 20 targets a game last year to 5, indoors, at home? Not the year to own Thomas maybe. 

O-line played pretty bad, plus Tampa's front 7 is no joke. Better days ahead for Thomas I wouldn't fret too much, I expect Brees to target MT early and often against Oakland on monday night next week. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brye said:

Was thinking the same exact thing honestly ..... you never know too be honest.

Paybacks a bitch. Especially when Brees gets to see dirty Baker Mayfield say this week almost exactly what Brees said 2 months ago, that 'he isnt' going to kneel for the national anthem', and receive no player backlash whatsoever. lol Will Brees continue that next week? Who knows. But come on, he wasn't even looking Thomas's way and instead only locking on Sanders and Cook the entire game. And don't try and convince me that it's because the Bucs have a lockdown corner. lmfao

Edited by MrPositive

42 minutes ago, Breesus said:

O-line played pretty bad, plus Tampa's front 7 is no joke. Better days ahead for Thomas I wouldn't fret too much, I expect Brees to target MT early and often against Oakland on monday night next week. 

Hopefully it's just a 1 game penalty, but I kind of agree with others that it seemed like some payback. That entire situation doesn't explode on Brees unless a player the caliber of Thomas goes after Brees publicly. Nobody cares what a linebacker thinks, but Thomas, now that's something. He literally threw his QB under the bus and honestly in that racial climate at the time and Brees's age, put his job at risk.

23 minutes ago, TennisDude said:

Hopefully it's just a 1 game penalty, but I kind of agree with others that it seemed like some payback. That entire situation doesn't explode on Brees unless a player the caliber of Thomas goes after Brees publicly. Nobody cares what a linebacker thinks, but Thomas, now that's something. He literally threw his QB under the bus and honestly in that racial climate at the time and Brees's age, put his job at risk.

I don’t really by that theory at all. To each their own though, either way even it’s true MT will be fine. Drew wants a ring, he’s going to get his All Pro WR the ball. I’d expect a 10 catch 100+ yard game against Oakland, it usually takes the saints a few week to hit their stride.

10 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

This is how you people look in this thread:

tenor.gif?itemid=13613808

Let me just follow your "flat earth level" logic.

- Vocal WR criticises what QB says

- QB apologizes for what he says so team chemistry stays intact

- QB then proceeds to intentionally not throw to a WR who is already clearly shown he is not afraid to be vocal thus risking jeopordizing team chemistry... After he apologized to save team chemistry

Instead of oh i don't know... Everyone has bad games and Brees only had 160 passing yards 70% of which were not to WRs so the gameplan cleary dictated different...and it worked.

Now i'm going to go wash my eyes with bleach from reading these posts.

I don’t think bleach will be enough 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

- QB then proceeds to intentionally not throw to a WR who is already clearly shown he is not afraid to be vocal thus risking jeopordizing team chemistry... After he apologized to save team chemistry

Instead of oh i don't know... Everyone has bad games and Brees only had 160 passing yards 70% of which were not to WRs so the gameplan cleary dictated different...and it worked.

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

The problem with your theory is when did Michael Thomas have a 22 yard/5 target ‘bad game’ before that he played the entire game? And you are also assuming that Brees expected his teammates to attack him for his comments and have zero ill will about it. Regardless, I guess we can all hope for the Brees-Thomas to show up next Sunday. Shrug 

Edited by TennisDude

3 minutes ago, TennisDude said:

The problem with your theory is when did Michael Thomas have a 22 yard ‘bad game’ before that he played the entire game? And you are also assuming that Brees expected his teammates to attack him for his comments and have zero ill will about i.

no matter what one thinks of the whole situation, one thing is clear - the way Brees was attacked was disgraceful - he has been a true Saint to that community and City ... he has done more charitable work, (and donated more of his own cash) for the citizens of New Orleans than any number of other athletes combined - his record in that area of benevolent altruism is nothing but impeccable ... he deserved much better from all involved - not the kinda cat who merited the kinda vitriolic derision he was besieged with. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Play calling was bad. I have Davante over him this year but that’s it. He also got rolled up on late in the game

Drew wants to win I don’t think he is sabotaging Thomas

Edited by affliction

Was a pretty bad game script. 24-7 and they kind of turtled. I think reading into that is a little tin foil for my tastes. 

Pretty decent write-up by ESPN about Brees yesterday. Could explain the MT hit. 

For the player who still raised questions in victory, I'm at least a little worried about Brees. Both he and Sean Payton

described their performances in Sunday's win as "awful," and while I wouldn't go that far, the performance raised some questions about both Payton's expectations and how Brees feels heading into the 2020 season.

To start, especially early in the game, I can't recall a more conservative game plan from Payton with Brees in the fold. The Saints seemed vigilantly focused on getting the football out of his hands with screens, swing passes and smoke and mirrors; it reminded me of the game plan the Steelers had for Mason Rudolph's starts last season. Brees is not a quarterback who needs to throw downfield for 10 yards at a clip, but his average pass traveled just 4.1 yards in the air on Sunday. Out of 153 Brees starts since the start of 2010, this ranked 148th in average depth of target on completion

Brees hit Jared Cook with a great throw for a 46-yard completion to boost his totals, but he averaged just 5.4 yards per attempt Sunday, topping only Baker Mayfield. He did miss out on 48 yards of pass interference penalties, but one of those calls was a questionable decision that bailed out an uncommonly poor decision from the ultra-careful quarterback. He got away with a pair of would-be interceptions, which is out of character for a guy who threw just four picks in 2019.

Brees usually makes a low average depth of target work by completing passes at astronomical rates. The three best completion percentages in NFL history are Brees in 2018, Brees in 2019 and Brees in 2017, a three-year span in which he has combined to complete a staggering 73.5% of his pass attempts. You can argue that it's easier to complete passes in a dome under the league's current passing rules, but even then, the right comp for him is late-career Sandy Koufax, racking up crazy numbers in a pitcher's paradise in Los Angeles.

On Sunday, though, Brees didn't approach his usual lofty heights. He completed just 60% of his passes. NFL Next Gen Stats tracks completion percentage over expectation (CPOE), measuring a quarterback's actual completion rate versus what its machine-learning model suggests would be an average completion percentage for a quarterback throwing the same routes to similarly placed receivers against similarly placed defenders.

Brees' expected completion percentage on Sunday was 68.8%, meaning he was 8.8% below what would have been considered an average performance. This was the third-worst mark for any quarterback in Week 1, ahead of only Dwayne Haskins and Carson Wentz. The Next Gen Stats data only goes back through 2016, but over that time frame, that 8.8% mark was the worst we've seen from Brees in any start. Only 32.3% of his passes were considered successes by the Next Gen Stats model, which was his second-worst start since 2016.

Even alongside the incompletions, though, I don't think the completions were up to his usual standard. Passes he usually puts in stride, most notably on a shallow cross to Emmanuel Sanders inside the 10-yard line, were in the wrong place and didn't allow his receivers chances to create yards after the catch. The ball seemed to get stuck in his hands at moments, and he missed a couple of open receivers. Other quarterbacks have this happen, of course, but this stuff doesn't really happen to Brees very often.

The last time I seriously worried about Brees falling off the aging cliff was after a late-season dip in 2018. Then, I took a closer look and didn't think there was much to be worried about. He then showed little signs of any decline in 2019. One game isn't enough to make any bold proclamations or sound any alarms, and even an "awful" version of Brees still posted a Total QBR of 71.9 in a key divisional victory. It's just something worth paying closer attention to in the weeks to come.

Edited by oliminator123
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Gohawks said:

They violated the Bucs without involving their best receiver. The Bucs defense is actually pretty decent. This is scary. Scary for MT owners and the NFL.

Lololololol easiest fade all offseason. Y’all could’ve had CEH DH JJ MS and went with the least talented wr1 in years lol. As I posted in the wr rankings thread, DA > Thomas 

3 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

Lololololol easiest fade all offseason. Y’all could’ve had CEH DH JJ MS and went with the least talented wr1 in years lol. As I posted in the wr rankings thread, DA > Thomas 

Victory lap before week 1 is even finished wow. 

• Haha 1

Well he is sorta due for a dud lol so maybe it was good i didn't get him.  Im sure he will get rollin

1 hour ago, TheDoctor said:

Victory lap before week 1 is even finished wow. 

Oh, is Thomas playing again tonight? By the looks of his stat line, I would guess yes 😂