BrianM

Buffalo Bills 2020 Outlook

He just hasn't really learned how to tailor his traits for the NFL yet. You can be that reckless in college when you're built like him. Can't do it in the NFL. He has a lot of moxie, but it needs to be molded. Without an off season this year, I'm not so confident it happens.

go bills

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Troutbum said:

You do know his Wonderlic score was in the top 95 percentile and the highest of his draft class right? 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2767339-report-josh-allen-josh-rosen-top-wonderlic-scores-for-2018-nfl-draft-qbs

And Lamar Jackson at the bottom of the list was the MVP. 

Can you explain how the Wonderlic has any relevance? If you struggle to explain it, then probably you shouldn’t throw it out anymore. I only go by results and what I see when I watch the games. 

Edited by PizzaBeerFF

3 hours ago, Br0kenB said:

He just hasn't really learned how to tailor his traits for the NFL yet. You can be that reckless in college when you're built like him. Can't do it in the NFL. He has a lot of moxie, but it needs to be molded. Without an off season this year, I'm not so confident it happens.

go bills

That moxie sure makes games exciting. Like that intentional fumble in the Texans game nearly gave me a heart attack in the moment lol

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Br0kenB said:

I've always struggled with the happy medium of recklessness and polish on him.    Sometimes i feel that his traits are not going to be able to be completely polished and that his wild west ability is the only way he'll truly succeed.   Try to fine tune the daredevil beast but dont totally cage it.   If they let him be Favre-like, its their best chance to win a bowl I think.  You can't make him a surgeon like Brady or Brees, or anything close, it just won't work.

Also yes, an offseason interruption here does him no good.  

46 minutes ago, BrianM said:

I've always struggled with the happy medium of recklessness and polish on him.    Sometimes i feel that his traits are not going to be able to be completely polished and that his wild west ability is the only way he'll truly succeed.   Try to fine tune the daredevil beast but dont totally cage it.   If they let him be Favre-like, its their best chance to win a bowl I think.  You can't make him a surgeon like Brady or Brees, or anything close, it just won't work.

Also yes, an offseason interruption here does him no good.  

A lot of QBs have reckless tendencies. If you look at some Super Bowl winners from the decade like Mahomes and Wilson it's clear you don't have to be a surgeon. 

The difference is these are tendencies not their actual play style. Sure, both guys tend to make throws they should never make, throw with no regard for mechanics at times, hold the ball too long, and all that but for Allen it's the norm not the exception. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gohawks said:

A lot of QBs have reckless tendencies. If you look at some Super Bowl winners from the decade like Mahomes and Wilson it's clear you don't have to be a surgeon. 

The difference is these are tendencies not their actual play style. Sure, both guys tend to make throws they should never make, throw with no regard for mechanics at times, hold the ball too long, and all that but for Allen it's the norm not the exception. 

Completely 100% false on Allen.

Allen:

- Threw 9 INTs in 2019

- Threw 0 INTs in the Red Zone

- Threw 0 INTs in the 4th Quarter

Allen is one of the least turnover prone QBs in football and is one of the best decision makers in football. He is one of the least likely QBs to throw an INT. 

Facts over fake narratives.

21 hours ago, Br0kenB said:

go bills

Yeah, a grand total of just 9 INTs in 2019, what a high number. 

9 INTs from Allen is totally similar to 30 INTs from Jameis.

20 hours ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

Can you explain how the Wonderlic has any relevance? If you struggle to explain it, then probably you shouldn’t throw it out anymore. I only go by results and what I see when I watch the games. 

No I don't need to. I was responding to the idiotic opinion that Allen has a big arm and is dumb. Try taking the Wonderlic test (its free and readily available online) and see where you score compared to Josh Allen.

Posted (edited)

You can turn the ball over with more than an INT. I like the kid but his ball security is a huge net negative. He fumbles a lot and is really unaware of how to protect the ball when he is doing Allen things.

Comparing him to Jameis is not relevant because Jameis is an awful QB and couldn't hold Allen's jock.

Edited by Br0kenB
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, euphoriahbo said:

Completely 100% false on Allen.

Allen:

- Threw 9 INTs in 2019

- Threw 0 INTs in the Red Zone

- Threw 0 INTs in the 4th Quarter

Allen is one of the least turnover prone QBs in football and is one of the best decision makers in football. He is one of the least likely QBs to throw an INT. 

Facts over fake narratives.

Facts huh? Ok buddy let’s talk facts.

He threw 9 picks because he doesn’t throw. His interceptions are in the middle of the pack in terms of interception percentage.

You know what he isn’t in the middle of the pack in? Fumbles. Which he had 16 of. I guess fumbles aren’t a thing in your world though...

• Like 1

Fading at his ADP...christ. His schedule is brutal and he really needs to show some type of passing yard / TD and turnover reduction leap to justify the cost. 

Diggs is a very CB-sensitive WR (per PFF) and he has a rough schedule this year...

That said- the tough schedule could be offset by them playing in neutral or behind game-scripts and having him improv his rushing ability. That's a tough hat to hang on though.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Br0kenB said:

You can turn the ball over with more than an INT. I like the kid but his ball security is a huge net negative. He fumbles a lot and is really unaware of how to protect the ball when he is doing Allen things.

Comparing him to Jameis is not relevant because Jameis is an awful QB and couldn't hold Allen's jock.

Only his throwing is better, for now. Jameis can sling it, but turnover machine, low football IQ, bad pocket awareness , I mean the list goes on. Accuracy is something Allen can work on , he can be a great QB. 

Edited by RunCMC

8 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

Only his throwing is better, for now. Jameis can sling it, but turnover machine, low football IQ, bad pocket awareness , I mean the list goes on. Accuracy is something Allen can work on , he can be a great QB. 

I will admit Allen’s accuracy improved in year two in the intermediate range - but he still has a long way to go downfield.  And inaccurate QBs almost always stay that way.

8 hours ago, Troutbum said:

No I don't need to. I was responding to the idiotic opinion that Allen has a big arm and is dumb. Try taking the Wonderlic test (its free and readily available online) and see where you score compared to Josh Allen.

I should huh. I already qualify for Mensa, though I’m not spending money to join it. I understand it is hard for you to believe. So it is and so it shall be.... the point is nobody pays pro qbs based solely on how smart they are. They have to have a gun of and arm and soft enough hand to feather the ball... big enough frame to withstand abuse, constantly... and step into that abuse and get back up and do it again. I am not sure a wonderlic test represents the total package needed. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Troutbum said:

Sure then give me a test. 

you proctoring it?

Edited by PizzaBeerFF