Sign in to follow this  
fletch44

2020 Rule Changes (3 batter minimum, DH in NL, etc.)

Wow, this is pretty big. How will this effect fantasy ? Off the top of my head I would think less holds for loogys. And I would expect overall runs scored to go up a tick since managers aren't as able to play matchups late in games.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/nationals/mlb-officially-institutes-3-batter-minimum-2020-season

I like the rule - I think one of the biggest issues with watching the game is pace and flow - there are some things you cannot "legislate" like how the game is played, the ball in play pitch to contact vs strikeout vs aggressive hitter vs draw a walk (which is as good as a hit analytic measure) or boom/bust bomb or K approaches are how the game is played today by many and to me that is the main issue with time, with lack of "action" - but I think the specialization of the relievers doesnt help the game - not saying this is gonna make a MAJOR change, but I like where its going.  

• Like 1

Hate it. If you are tired of watching a game then turn it off. Lots of fake injuries will start to happen now when a manager wants to pull a pitcher before 3 batters.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

Hate it. If you are tired of watching a game then turn it off. Lots of fake injuries will start to happen now when a manager wants to pull a pitcher before 3 batters.

Do you not click "Skip Ad" when you watch a youtube video? Well if you like 3 pitching changes an inning, you must love commercials too. I agree with parrot - this will for sure speed up the game pace.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

The fake injury thing is likely to happen in key situations. I wonder how mlb will manage that?

From a fantasy perspective, I would think this is business as usual for majority of players. If there are some elite LOOGY's out there then they may be effected, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. Maybe some guys with large splits see an extremely marginal benefit, but hard to give any value to that. More likely that may be a real life value. (i.e. if a RHP comes in you know you can pinch hit your LHB off the bench in the inning).

The other interesting rule is the elimination of the 40 man roster and addition of 26th spot on the roster. I think this may create less chances for younger prospects to get a chance in September.

From a managerial perspective, the 3 batter minimum it creates a major strategic question. Think of this situation: 7th inning, 2 outs men on 1st and 2nd in a 1 run game. A LHB is coming up. With the current rule, the LHP can leave the game if the inning ends. So theoretically, the manager can get away with bringing in a LOOGY for one batter. However, this is a huge risk, as lets say he walks the batter, and the next 2 batters are RHB. Then the manager is stuck with his LOOGY out there to face RHBs in a crucial situation. It will be interesting to see how managers deal with this specific scenario. I'm sure we will see many teams get burned by this scenario.

It would also have an effect on lineup construction. I would expect manager's to stagger their lineups more often than they previously have. Also makes some large splits guys become extremely valuable off the bench because you know you can get them one AB in a prime situation. Do we see more situations where a LHB is on the bench against a LHP knowing they will have that weapon later in the game? Hard to tell now. But I could see some managers giving their LHB more days of rest against LHP, just to have them as a weapon once the starter is out. In today's game, that may often be the 6th inning or earlier anyway, in which you can guarantee him an AB against a RHP.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

Do you not click "Skip Ad" when you watch a youtube video? Well if you like 3 pitching changes an inning, you must love commercials too. I agree with parrot - this will for sure speed up the game pace.

yes i like watching baseball. if i get tired of a game i turn it off and walk away. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

yes i like watching baseball. if i get tired of a game i turn it off and walk away. 

So do I.. so anything to get more baseball on my TV and less downtime.. I'm all for.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

So do I.. so anything to get more baseball on my TV and less downtime.. I'm all for.

i dont care if a game takes 4 hours. dont change the way its played. if 4 hours is too long for some then go do whatever it is u want.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The length of the game is more problematic in person than it is on TV. For TV I don't really care how long it goes since I can always walk away if I need to do something else or if there is a pitching change. I notice the delays and slow pace much more in person and if you take your family, you'll be lucky to make it to the 7th inning before the wheels come off. Would be great to get through an entire game in person within a comfortable amount of time considering you spend upwards of an hour commuting, parking, etc.

This rule is pretty inconsequential. Pitchers just need to catch the ball and throw the ball and stop messing around and looking into the stands and adjusting their hat 6 times before each pitch. 20 seconds in between is far too long. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

The fake injury thing is likely to happen in key situations. I wonder how mlb will manage that?

If it is abused I could see having to put said pitcher on the 15 day IL added to the rules if it gets out of hand.  That would get rid of fake injuries fast.

1 hour ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

i dont care if a game takes 4 hours. dont change the way its played. if 4 hours is too long for some then go do whatever it is u want.

I do.  There is only so long before I go bonkers at this slow pace.  I channel surf and sometimes don't go back to the game these days.  Or go mess around on my lap top.  Or actualy go outside, gasp.  Baseball is losing fans by the bucket load because no one but a handful of people and their pet dogs (who have fallen asleep by the 6th inning, both human and canine) want to sit through 4 hour plus games on a daily basis. 

Baseball needs to get with the times or fade away.  And the times are actually old time times.  Baseball in mos of the last century was fun.  Games rarely took 3 hours.  No reason you can't return to that sort of pace if you implement some rules to get the game back to "normal" again.  This is the first baby step.  Can't wait to they put in the pitching clock.  Play ball!  Not play stall.

• Like 1

I dont think this will change much in the overall day in and day out 162-games macro perspective, it might become more of a factor in the post-season where there seemed to be some lower scoring games that were marathons from an overall time perspective.  There is already a "rule" - when a new P enters the game who they must face (how many batters) and substitution rules for the hitters as well once they are announced - this is just changing that rule 

As far as when I go to a game?  Heck let it go 5 hours, let me get my moneys worth..its another issue with baseball these days it that these are 1 of 162 games, not place to be seen events, but baseball in many settings has become that which has made it rough for family of four to go to a game with decent seats - 

Baseball has always been a background noise sport for me.  I will watch closely during key points or if the better players are going.  A Cole/Kershaw match up will likely command my attention throughout, but a lesser matchup without a big name at the plate and I'm probably farting around doing something else waiting for the next decent hitter to come up (or a player on my fantasy team) before I focus in.  The time issue has never been one that bothers me in the context of how I watch.  I'm either into it and interested, in which case the strategy of pitching changes is a plus interest wise to me, or I'm otherwise preoccupied and don't care.

That said, playoff games tend to carry these changes to an extreme and I can do without that drag a little bit.

In person, I enjoy the environment and the experience enough that I am all for a little more rather than a little less time spent.  I only go on very rare occasions so its still novel enough for me to be in the moment and relax/enjoy.

• Like 2

I feel like in our society today, we have a much shorter attention span. We need something to continually entertain ourselves.

Baseball does not provide the constant action and entertainment that the other “big 3” do to keep us entertained. There is nothing baseball can do to shorten or speed up the games to a manageable level to keep the masses engaged. The speed of the game is what it is.

For me, I rarely watch baseball on tv because there’s more entertaining options around the house drawing my attention. When I’m at the a game, there’s nothing in the world like it. If the game goes five hours or 20 innings, I’m enjoying it just as much as I was in the first inning.

Just my $2.79 cents worth in gas.

They had this rule in the minors last year....Didn't really notice much of a change, but then again most minor league teams don't play match-up's as much as the major league counterparts...

LOOGYs could still come in with 2 outs and face one guy if he closes out the inning, but then the managers would have to pray he gets the intended guy out...

On 12/13/2019 at 1:02 PM, FantasyGeek2018 said:

Exactly the first thought that came to my mind. Its inevitable. 

The three batter minimum rule is right up there with adding the DH...

It is like the commissioner is trying to kill baseball...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, posty said:

The three batter minimum rule is right up there with adding the DH...

It is like the commissioner is trying to kill baseball...

That is high praise for the new rule.  I don't know if it will save baseball like the DH rule did since it was the greatest addition to baseball ever.  But the new rule can but help.  Can't wait until the NL finally joins the 21st century which it should in the next couple of years regards the DH.  I still curse to this day the owner of the Phils who went fishing that day thinking the DH was a done deal so his vote wasn't needed thus condemning the NL to letting Mendoza Line challenged players handle bats for decades and decades longer than they should of.  🙂

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 3

I don't like the three batter rule.  What baseball really needs to do in order to speed up the game is radically cut down on commercials, put the pitcher on a strict clock, and get rid of almost all of the exceptions to the "don't leave the batter's box" rule.  If you swing and don't make contact you shouldn't be "rewarded" by getting to do a mini-lap, adjust every single item of gear you're wearing, and then mosey back to the plate.  

The roster/dl changes are fairly benign and seem to be designed to prevent "gaming"/abusing the 10 day DL.

I have no idea how the "position player" rule is supposed to work, in practice.  Are players grandfathered indefinitely if they qualified as "two way" players at any point before this rule was implemented?  Is it 20 pitching starts or 20 pitching appearances (along with plate appearances) to qualify as a two-way player?  Seems like there is a typo there.  

With the limits on the number of pitchers you can roster I had a feeling that the league expected position player appearances to absolutely explode in 2020 and want to limit the potential for injury ... I think they were definitely right!

Edited by Overlord
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

That is high praise for the new rule.  I don't know if it will save baseball like the DH rule did since it was the greatest addition to baseball ever.  But the new rule can but help.  Can't wait until the NL finally joins the 21st century which it should in the next couple of years regards the DH.  I still curse to this day the owner of the Phils who went fishing that day thinking the DH was a done deal so his vote wasn't needed thus condemning the NL to letting Mendoza Line challenged players handle bats for decades and decades longer than they should of.  🙂

Actually it is just the opposite...  The DH didn't save baseball...  It was just fine in the 70s when they came up with this stupid idea...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, posty said:

Actually it is just the opposite...  The DH didn't save baseball...  It was just fine in the 70s when they came up with this stupid idea...

Agree. DH is garbage just like this new rule and even the wild card. Leave the game alone.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

Agree. DH is garbage just like this new rule and even the wild card. Leave the game alone.

leave it alone in what way? Should we go back to the time when players shared gloves with the opposing team? Baseball has and always will continue to evolve 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

leave it alone in what way? Should we go back to the time when players shared gloves with the opposing team? Baseball has and always will continue to evolve 

if it means getting rid of wild cards, the dh, and whiney new fans then yes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2