Sign in to follow this  
fletch44

2020 Rule Changes (3 batter minimum, DH in NL, etc.)

14 hours ago, wahoos1 said:

Yes, I started a topic for universal DH and the modes stuck it into rules change.

Ah I see.

On 5/13/2020 at 9:14 PM, wahoos1 said:

Yes, I started a topic for universal DH and the modes stuck it into rules change.

Funny, I was just about to do that same.  We definitely need a thread on the universal DH in terms of which players values goes up.  

2 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

Funny, I was just about to do that same.  We definitely need a thread on the universal DH in terms of which players values goes up.  

This is that thread.  Be the change you seek.

Just now, tonycpsu said:

This is that thread.  Be the change you seek.

I think it needs its own dedicated thread, but fair enough.  Yahoo just did an article on this and a few interesting guys like Ryan Braun, Howie Kendrick, and Yoenis Cespedes would see their values increase.  What are your thoughts?  

Sure, they all go up some, but I'm concerned about aging vets getting a lot of rest in a compressed schedule.  If the schedule has a ton of doubleheaders an few off days, I'd lean toward younger guys with PT concerns like Alec Bohm or Tyler O'Neill.

It seems a sure thing when baseball resumes the NL DH will be in place. Yahoo adds is already in full swing of the likely candidates. While Nl pitchers benefit from not hitting or running the bases facing an extra hitter every 8 outs makes it an overall downer. Few teams have a single clear cut option. Jose Martinez in St Louis was traded to the Rays earlier.                                       1. Cubs Schwarber. The most obvious dh guy in history. will let the Cubs bring Brennan davis up when ready and slot Almora or bote out there til then.

2. DBacks Cron Walker Beer. 2 of these guys will be in lineup daily at 1B and DH.

3. Mets Cespedes Dominic Smith, Cespedes is the big add in yahoo but really not sure what to expect from him. JD Davis at least seems safe now.

4. Cards Tyler O'Neil Dexter Fowler, either one opens up a spot full time for Dylan Carlson. 

5. San Diego Wil Myers, The trend is oldish guys holding back talented kids are getting most of the DH love.

6. Brewers braun, Oldish guys under contract are being shunted to DH, Unlike other teams brewers are loaded with these types.

7. Rockies Daniel murphy, Reynolds, Ian Desmond, This team is loaded with bad players with no positions with bad contracts. Maybe they can bring a kid up finally or just sign another useless geezer.

8. Braves have 3 likely options if Camargo wins 3B job. and Enciarte, Acuna, ozuna are 3 outfielders. Duvall, Markakis, riley all would seem like bench bats who could do role.

9. Nats Zimmerman, not sure he could hold up but he has earned the right at first choice.

10. reds aquino, I assume he gets first shot at the job but they have other options if he flops.

11. Phillies Rhys Hoskins, Not a good defender anywhere might make sense to upgrade team defense?

12. Dodgers Pollock, They actually have a lot of aging players that can use the DH as a rest day.

13-15 Giants Pirates Marlins, they aint got enuff talent to cover the Dh spot. some sorry pinch hitters will just have to fill in

On 5/16/2020 at 9:40 AM, tonycpsu said:

Sure, they all go up some, but I'm concerned about aging vets getting a lot of rest in a compressed schedule.  If the schedule has a ton of doubleheaders an few off days, I'd lean toward younger guys with PT concerns like Alec Bohm or Tyler O'Neill.

I might go Lane Thomas over O’Neill right now personally. 

On 5/16/2020 at 11:40 AM, tonycpsu said:

This was my concern as well, but actually if the current plan of 80ish games starting in July happens, how many doubleheaders are really necessary? Early July would basically be the halfway point in a regular season, so maybe the older guys would be okay after all. I was looking to trade Donaldson who is one of the few old guys on my team, but wondering if it would be best to just hold at this point. 

9 hours ago, KCTD25 said:

This was my concern as well, but actually if the current plan of 80ish games starting in July happens, how many doubleheaders are really necessary? Early July would basically be the halfway point in a regular season, so maybe the older guys would be okay after all. I was looking to trade Donaldson who is one of the few old guys on my team, but wondering if it would be best to just hold at this point. 

going by last seasons july 9th all star game, most teams had played right at 90 games....for a reference

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

going by last seasons july 9th all star game, most teams had played right at 90 games....for a reference

Yeah, I guess it's still possible there are more doubleheaders depending on the structure of the schedule. Maybe they end up having more doubleheaders so that there's less times where teams and personnel have to leave the parks, come back, get tested again, etc. 

Posted (edited)

It's looking increasing more likely that [the universal DH] is going to be the norm going forward (at least for the 2020 season). [...] Who do we think are the big winners/losers this season due to this? Cespedes's value jumps big time imo. 

Edited by tonycpsu
  • Like 1

Agreed on Cespedes. I had my eye on him even before the universal DH, more so now. I dont see him playing the OF more than a handful of games TBH and i am going to assume he is still capable of producing offensively, although, i shouldnt be making assumptions. It feels like 10 years since he has been in the pros, who knows how much bat speed he has lost.

Staying on the DH, what about Nick Senzel in CIN?

His recovery from his shoulder injury is going well and he progressed to throwing but finds himself in a crowded OF situation. 

5 hours ago, 24/7fantasysports said:

Staying on the DH, what about Nick Senzel in CIN?

His recovery from his shoulder injury is going well and he progressed to throwing but finds himself in a crowded OF situation. 

He is frustrating to have on your team...bums you out then when you are about fed up he does something well finally and then you keep him and he gets hurt...rinse repeat...I like Shogo or maybe Winker better as far as Reds go for OFs or DHs...

I would much rather roll the dice on a Dylan Carlson or a Sammy Hilliard regarding universal DH beneficiaries...

• Thanks 1

not a fan of the guy on second base to start extra innings. 30 man rosters would seem to make it easier to weather extra innings. At least the runner is not the manager choice but the guy who made last out or was batting when last out was made in 9th inning like a caught stealing. Extra innings are so unpredictable some weeks will get a slew of games others none. Maybe instead of the 10th inning they wait in future years to start it in the 12th or later innings. Who knows maybe it will work great just have current reservations

I feel like 30 man roster is far too few. Normally, it’s 25 man roster that expands to 40 for the final month. This season is only 2 months, so why not just start with 40 man roster?
And honestly, even 40 seems low. I have to imagine at least 1 MLB team will have a player infected and pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic who spreads it through the clubhouse, and several people get infected. Then they’re all out a quarter of the season (14 day quarantine).

With no minor leagues to draw from, I think you gotta have at least 40 man roster, if not a reserve roster of up to 50 total players. 

Anyway, I’m happy about the season and hope it happens and goes through the World Series. Also, I hope I win all my leagues. 😀

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, countseth said:

I feel like 30 man roster is far too few. Normally, it’s 25 man roster that expands to 40 for the final month. This season is only 2 months, so why not just start with 40 man roster?
And honestly, even 40 seems low. I have to imagine at least 1 MLB team will have a player infected and pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic who spreads it through the clubhouse, and several people get infected. Then they’re all out a quarter of the season (14 day quarantine).

With no minor leagues to draw from, I think you gotta have at least 40 man roster, if not a reserve roster of up to 50 total players. 
Anyway, I’m happy about the season and hope it happens and goes through the World Series. Also, I hope I win all my leagues. 😀

Each MLB team selects 60 players total as their pool of players this season so they are starting with 60, not 40.  (Their 60 man list is due into MLB today I believe).

The active roster is always 40 normally with, in the past, 25 allowed on the MLB team at any given time.  And they expand in September yes but no one brings up the remaining 15 players for that month.  Just anywhere from one to maybe four at most.

This season there is a taxi squad of minor leaguers available.  They will also be working out together and with coaches since there is no minor league season this year.  Also sprinkled in among them would be some MLB vets still hanging on that would normally be kept as fringe players in AAA like a back-up pitcher etc. 

The taxi squad will try to stay isolated in nearby facilities to avoid being infected by any active roster guy that comes down with the virus and vice versa but they will be very close by their MLB team.

The first couple of weeks the active on field roster will be 30.  As pitching arms build up it will be reduced to 28 a quarter of the way through the season then finally down to 26 for the final month and playoffs.

(FYI the normal roster size is 26 man these days, not 25.  That was going into effect this year anyway before covid).

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Thanks 1

H2H is not going to work.  Roto will

• Like 1

21 hours ago, urban2014 said:

H2H is not going to work.  Roto will

Our h2h has agreed to switch to roto this year. Fewer weeks; outbreaks and quarantines causing havoc with matchups; prospect of a full shutdown halting the season... yeah, give me roto this year. 

I am so happy about a hopeful permanent DH in both leagues.  It's going to be good for fantasy. A lot more NL prospects and hitters will have value. Pitchers will be on a more level playing field to evaluate. 

• Like 2

My league is at an draw, at this point,  we either play H2H with probably 4 teams making the playoffs or we don't play at all 

18 hours ago, urban2014 said:

My league is at an draw, at this point,  we either play H2H with probably 4 teams making the playoffs or we don't play at all 

All of my leagues are doing one single playoff matchup with the two division winners getting in. This will give us a decent 8-9 matchups.  We're also adjusting our schedule to predominantly play our division rivals. I agree roto is more desirable this year but you can make it work. 

What is the size of your league 

Personally, my leagues are just going Roto for this season: I'm in two 20 team leagues and 3 12 teamers all dynasty