Sign in to follow this  
fletch44

2020 Rule Changes (3 batter minimum, DH in NL, etc.)

Sure glad the DH came to the NL this year..

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/split.cgi?t=b&lg=MLB&year=2020#all_defp

All DH hit .231 this year, the lowest of all "positions"...  Don't know how it broke down between AL and NL, but it sure was damn exciting to see the DH "position" have the most strikeouts as well...

Yeah I know the a majority of the pitchers can't hit, but at least they are going both ways like it should be...

I know I am in the minority, but I really don't care...

Edited by tonycpsu
Merged

^^ I'm with you, abolish inter-league play. I don't need to see Mike Trout once every 3-years when I can watch his every game via one of the nation's largest tele-providers for free (T-mobile). Inter-league play serves no purpose in the age of internet. Get rid of it. It was fun for a few years, now it's a nuisance.

Fantasy players think the DH is good because all their turd hitters get a chance that might not otherwise get a chance. All it does is add more parity to offense making everyone more inter-changeable in the end. Unless you play in really deep leagues that is.

45 minutes ago, Light Tower Power said:

^^ I'm with you, abolish inter-league play. I don't need to see Mike Trout once every 3-years when I can watch his every game via one of the nation's largest tele-providers for free (T-mobile). Inter-league play serves no purpose in the age of internet. Get rid of it. It was fun for a few years, now it's a nuisance.

Yep, totally agree...  Either expand two teams or contract two teams and get rid of interleague play...  Save it for the All-Star game and the World Series...

1 hour ago, Light Tower Power said:

Fantasy players think the DH is good because all their turd hitters get a chance that might not otherwise get a chance. All it does is add more parity to offense making everyone more inter-changeable in the end. Unless you play in really deep leagues that is.

This isn’t a push just in fantasy. Most people don’t want to watch the “best” of hitting pitchers hit .177 with a .500 OPS. 
Also allows me to enjoy great starting pitchers more because they’re not being pinch hit for in a tight game because they can’t hit.

• Like 1

From all the announcers' comments etc it looks like the DH is here to stay and thank the Baseballs gods for that.  Finally, the NL gets to play real baseball.  Only took nearly a half a century but welcome aboard, NL. It's called hardball.

Posted (edited)

Just pathetic how Manfred wants to ruin this once fine game but wanting the DH in both leagues...

He has to be one of the worst commissioners in baseball history...

Edited by posty
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, posty said:

Just pathetic how Manfred wants to ruin this once fine game but wanting the DH in both leagues...

He has to be one of the worst commissioners in baseball history...

Yep. DH is for losers that cant play the field and change the game was meant to be played. I love when they say nobody wants to see pitchers hit. Nobody wanted to see Shaq brick free throws so everytime he got fouled a bench player should have been able to shoot them for him. That is the DH. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

Yep. DH is for losers that cant play the field and change the game was meant to be played. I love when they say nobody wants to see pitchers hit. Nobody wanted to see Shaq brick free throws so everytime he got fouled a bench player should have been able to shoot them for him. That is the DH. 

Bingo!!!  Great example!!!

Yeah, while we're at it, let's make football kickers play offense and defense, and let's have QBs play safety, and RBs play DE, and OTs play DT.  Oh wait, we used to do things like that, but then teams realized that the game is more exciting and competitive when the players who perform a skill the best are the ones doing it.

Basketball does not have separate offensive and defensive side.  Basketball does not have positions that are nearly as specialized as they are in baseball.  Foul shots are still basketball shots, while hitting is a completely different skill from pitching.  It's a terrible example of what's being done here, which is merely a continuation of the specialization that's been happening over decades, not some sudden move like having a designated FT shooter.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Yeah, while we're at it, let's make football kickers play offense and defense, and let's have QBs play safety, and RBs play DE, and OTs play DT.  Oh wait, we used to do things like that, but then teams realized that the game is more exciting and competitive when the players who perform a skill the best are the ones doing it.

That was the AFL and it was pretty cool...

3 hours ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

Comparing pitchers hitting to late-game fouls in basketball maybe just made me support the NL DH...

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

If you want both leagues the same just abolish the DH.

Couldn't have said it any better myself...

20 minutes ago, posty said:

Couldn't have said it any better myself...

Keep on beating the dead horse endlessly.  It ain't ever going to live again any more than real steel spikes or dead balls or real wool uniforms or tobacco chew spitting all over the place.  Five years from now when you still are complaining about the DH it still isn't going away from the NL.  The NL grew up and moved into the 21st century.  Done deal.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Keep on beating the dead horse endlessly.  It ain't ever going to live again any more than real steel spikes or dead balls or real wool uniforms or tobacco chew spitting all over the place.  Five years from now when you still are complaining about the DH it still isn't going away from the NL.  The NL grew up and moved into the 21st century.  Done deal.

Five years from now if the DH is in the NL I won't even be watching baseball...

I know you don't care and "baseball won't miss me", but if the DH is coming to the NL, it is the end of when baseball was good and enjoyable...  BTW, if the DH is so great, how come that "position" had the lowest batting average and most strikeouts?

Edited by posty

Even as terrible as the NL DH hitters were this year, it was still better than whatever a pitcher could give you. They need time to actually plan for it by signing guys or whatever, so we shouldn't judge it off one bizarro short season. And there's value in letting hitters half a partial rest day by skipping the field and just hit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, posty said:

BTW, if the DH is so great, how come that "position" had the lowest batting average and most strikeouts?

The relevant metric is difference between the DH and the average SP, not the difference between the DH and other positions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

:lol: 

Okay, whatever makes you guys happy...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, posty said:

:lol: 

Okay, whatever makes you guys happy...

Thank you. My general rule of thumb is if it upsets posty I'm all for it. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hanghow said:

Comparing pitchers hitting to late-game fouls in basketball maybe just made me support the NL DH...

Same thing. Guy coming off the bench to enter the game then back to the bench. Not the way the game is played. Come out of the game you are out the rest of the game in baseball. NL should have never played one game with the DH. If it meant two world series and two different MLB leagues then good. 

• Thanks 1

Baseball is only alive for kids today from fantasy and this will be another blow to real baseball fans. Keep the DH in the fake league only

• Thanks 1

For DH ruins strategy people, y'all must have loved the moment in the Chicago Oakland game where they intentionally walked a batter to reach the 3 minimum so they could bring in another arm. I expect y'all to give Manfred some credit for adding another dimension of managerial chess to the game.