Mr. G

Keeper lock date/lagging owners

We have an early keeper lock coming up this weekend and 4 out of 12 owners have not responded to numerous emails regarding choosing keepers for their teams. I´m fairly new as a league manager so I´m wondering first, what happens in this case, do the teams loose their whole lineup if no keepers are picked? And before this if that happens should I just replace these owners with new owners?  It´s a second year, free ESPN league.  Thanks!

Replace those unresponsive / inactive owners. Hate those types! 

Just replace the owners. If you end up dropping all their players, they would just leave anyway so be proactive

Appreciate the feedback guys.  I will definitely be looking for new owners! 

I’d replace the owners. But I also think locking keepers in mid-May is too early.  Most people aren’t giving football a thought right now, even in a non-Covid world. My league is super-engaged, and we don’t even lock keepers until the first week of preseason. 

• Like 2

On 5/17/2020 at 1:46 PM, Bandito said:

I’d replace the owners. But I also think locking keepers in mid-May is too early.  Most people aren’t giving football a thought right now, even in a non-Covid world. My league is super-engaged, and we don’t even lock keepers until the first week of preseason. 

^

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks guys.  I replaced one owner and the other owners I was gonna replace woke up lol.

Edited by Mr. G
forgot to mention..
  • Like 1

One other question guys.  Say my league has 15 keepers and a team only keeps 13.  Would they get the first two picks or two extra picks at the end ?

14 minutes ago, Mr. G said:

One other question guys.  Say my league has 15 keepers and a team only keeps 13.  Would they get the first two picks or two extra picks at the end ?

I haven’t played a keeper league before unless it was dynasty so take my opinion with a grain of salt but I believe they get the picks at the end. Like if there was a short, incomplete extra round. Just what I think though—not from experience

Help? (with a different type of question)

Thanks Mocha.  I was leaning that way as well.  This will be an offline draft as well where I could adjust the draft order so either way it will work out fairly, thanks!

• Like 1

By the way this team with only 13 of 15 keepers doesn´t have any other players at all on his roster.  He´s kind of a no-show, no response to emails so I may just add 2 random players to his lineup.  Good move or bad?  I guess I´m one of those perfectionist types lol, love to see all things evenly sorted out.  Thanks for any responses!  Off to work.

2 hours ago, Mr. G said:

I think these are the things that you really should decide on early on. It makes a huge difference which players you keep, so you need to know whether you can even keep fewer, if they count for specific rounds, where the picks end up...

Make sure you figure this out before the fighting starts, because in some leagues this can get nasty. Good luck - I hope Yahoo or wherever you play has this documented?

15 hours ago, Mr. G said:

Well, again, referring back to my league:  we get eight keepers free and clear. You can keep more by giving back draft picks starting with your first available. But that’s not what’s really going on in this situation. I think if someone is keeping below the ‘minimum’ number of keepers then that’s on them.  Therefore, they should not get the two additional picks until AFTER the draft. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bandito said:

Well, again, referring back to my league:  we get eight keepers free and clear. You can keep more by giving back draft picks starting with your first available. But that’s not what’s really going on in this situation. I think if someone is keeping below the ‘minimum’ number of keepers then that’s on them.  Therefore, they should not get the two additional picks until AFTER the draft. 

Yeah, I agree with this, they shouldn't get the two picks until after the draft

• Like 1

Advice well taken guys!  Thanks again.

21 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

I think these are the things that you really should decide on early on. It makes a huge difference which players you keep, so you need to know whether you can even keep fewer, if they count for specific rounds, where the picks end up...

Make sure you figure this out before the fighting starts, because in some leagues this can get nasty. Good luck - I hope Yahoo or wherever you play has this documented?

It´s on ESPN so somewhat documented I believe.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 10:10 PM, hockeyfan77 said:

Yeah, I agree with this, they shouldn't get the two picks until after the draft

I agree with this as well.

I would like to also mention we have keepers that are kept at previous years draft round. And a keeper can only be kept two years meaning he can only play three years for your squad. If a keeper is traded the timer is reset for the new owner. A third year player needs traded before the start of play before he can have timer reset. If a third year player is traded after start of season then he is ineligible to be kept by new owners. Also, free agent pick ups are kept at round twelve of our nineteen rounds since we have five IDP instead of team dst. Wanted to mention this as something to think about. It promotes drafting younger guys and working the waiver wire. Our league likes this format. I’d be interested to hear if others have similar formats. 

13 hours ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

I agree with this as well.

I would like to also mention we have keepers that are kept at previous years draft round. And a keeper can only be kept two years meaning he can only play three years for your squad. If a keeper is traded the timer is reset for the new owner. A third year player needs traded before the start of play before he can have timer reset. If a third year player is traded after start of season then he is ineligible to be kept by new owners. Also, free agent pick ups are kept at round twelve of our nineteen rounds since we have five IDP instead of team dst. Wanted to mention this as something to think about. It promotes drafting younger guys and working the waiver wire. Our league likes this format. I’d be interested to hear if others have similar formats. 

Love the info Pizzabeer!  Especially regarding limiting the keeper playing 3 years on a squad.  Never heard of this idea but I definitely like it and am thinking of imputing this to our league.  Is there any special way you keep track of the leagues keepers, as they have limits? 

12 hours ago, Mr. G said:

Love the info Pizzabeer!  Especially regarding limiting the keeper playing 3 years on a squad.  Never heard of this idea but I definitely like it and am thinking of imputing this to our league.  Is there any special way you keep track of the leagues keepers, as they have limits? 

You have to have a spread sheet. 

10 hours ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

You have to have a spread sheet. 

Sounds good!  I was also thinking of using something ESPN has called a transaction counter.  To this day I know nobody who has ever used it but it seems legit in this scenario.  

4 hours ago, Mr. G said:

Sounds good!  I was also thinking of using something ESPN has called a transaction counter.  To this day I know nobody who has ever used it but it seems legit in this scenario.  

Also if you keep multiple pick ups off the wire then you start at twelve and work higher. For example, I once kept three waiver wire pick ups and they consumed my 12, 11, and 10th round picks. But if you don’t have IDP I guess you may be drafting about 15 rounds. So I would move the waiver pick up forfeit round to round 8 for you. It is meant to give reward for working the wire, but also can’t be totally free. 

• Like 1

Also, we lock keepers one week before draft. This way people can strategize their draft based on the keepers.

3 minutes ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

Also, we lock keepers one week before draft. This way people can strategize their draft based on the keepers.

Sounds good.  What platform do you guys use? ESPN?

7 minutes ago, Mr. G said:

Sounds good.  What platform do you guys use? ESPN?

Yahoo. It has been fine. But I haven’t used any other fantasy sites so can’t tell you what’s best site to use. I like the live stat tracker on yahoo. It tells you if your guys offense has the ball, and if they are in the red zone. It is quite quick to keep up on the stats. Probably they all have this I imagine. 

2 hours ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

Yahoo. It has been fine. But I haven’t used any other fantasy sites so can’t tell you what’s best site to use. I like the live stat tracker on yahoo. It tells you if your guys offense has the ball, and if they are in the red zone. It is quite quick to keep up on the stats. Probably they all have this I imagine. 

Well I have ESPN and it has something similar but it seems to lag, always being behind the actual game.  I recently tried a draft on Fantrax and couldn´t even figure out how to choose a player to draft lol.  If I ever switch, sounds like Yahoo has the happiest fantasy crowd so I would try them.