The G Man

2020 Rookie RB class

I wanted to start a separate thread for the rookie RB class in an effort to gauge their value (as compared to each other) taking into account their landing spot and competition. Here is a list of all drafted RB's, sorted by when they were drafted (with the team that drafted them in parenthesis)

• Clyde Edwards-Helaire (KC)
  • D'Andre Swift (Det.)
  • Jonathan Taylor (Indy)
  • Cam Akers (Rams)
  • J. K. Dobbins (Balt.)
  • A. J. Dillon (GB)
  • Antonio Gibson (Wash.)
  • Ke'Shawn Vaughn (TB)
  • Zack Moss (Buff.)
  • Darrynton Evans (Tenn.)
  • Joshua Kelley (Chargers)
  • La'Mical Perine (Jets)
  • Anthony McFarland Jr. (Pitt.)
  • DeeJay Dallas (Sea.)
  • Jason Huntley (Det.)
  • Eno Benjamin (Ari.)
  • Raymond Calais (TB)
  • Malcolm Perry (Mia)

I'd love to get some opinions of who is a better prospect, who is in a better situation, who has stronger or weaker competition for PT, etc. Sleepers are also (and really more) important to discuss as well. 

FYI, I didn't include any UDFA rookie RB's, so please add any you feel make for a great sleeper (and why too of course). 

8 hours ago, The G Man said:

I wanted to start a separate thread for the rookie RB class in an effort to gauge their value (as compared to each other) taking into account their landing spot and competition. Here is a list of all drafted RB's, sorted by when they were drafted (with the team that drafted them in parenthesis)

• Clyde Edwards-Helaire (KC)
  • D'Andre Swift (Det.)
  • Jonathan Taylor (Indy)
  • Cam Akers (Rams)
  • J. K. Dobbins (Balt.)
  • A. J. Dillon (GB)
  • Antonio Gibson (Wash.)
  • Ke'Shawn Vaughn (TB)
  • Zack Moss (Buff.)
  • Darrynton Evans (Tenn.)
  • Joshua Kelley (Chargers)
  • La'Mical Perine (Jets)
  • Anthony McFarland Jr. (Pitt.)
  • DeeJay Dallas (Sea.)
  • Jason Huntley (Det.)
  • Eno Benjamin (Ari.)
  • Raymond Calais (TB)
  • Malcolm Perry (Mia)

I'd love to get some opinions of who is a better prospect, who is in a better situation, who has stronger or weaker competition for PT, etc. Sleepers are also (and really more) important to discuss as well. 

FYI, I didn't include any UDFA rookie RB's, so please add any you feel make for a great sleeper (and why too of course). 

I’ve touted him in his own thread quite a bit already, but Gibson strikes me as one of the most likely to break out as early as this season when you factor in the intersection of athleticism/skill/competition/situation.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I’ve touted him in his own thread quite a bit already, but Gibson strikes me as one of the most likely to break out as early as this season when you factor in the intersection of athleticism/skill/competition/situation.

Good lord I loved Gibson too. I was hoping he would be Andy Reid’s 3rd round steal of the draft but I think the redskins will use AP a little as long as he can play and darrius guice really is a stud when healthy. They’ll probably let love have some touches as well. To me this is too murky of water to want any part of as of now. Maybe preseason comes and Gibson is head and shoulders the best back on the team 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

Good lord I loved Gibson too. I was hoping he would be Andy Reid’s 3rd round steal of the draft but I think the redskins will use AP a little as long as he can play and darrius guice really is a stud when healthy. They’ll probably let love have some touches as well. To me this is too murky of water to want any part of as of now. Maybe preseason comes and Gibson is head and shoulders the best back on the team 

They will still use traditional backs aplenty.  But Gibson has so many avenues to impacting the offense.

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

They will still use traditional backs aplenty.  But Gibson has so many avenues to impacting the offense.

I like Gibson.. and I actually like that there is the AP, Guice etc. there because it will hopefully help keep his ADP down to more of a late round steal. Like you said, I think he can make an impact regardless. But I also don’t think Guice can stay healthy and AP is obviously in his Frank Gore type days. I can easily see him eventually turning into the lead horse this season.

If those other guys weren’t hanging around that backfield, Gibson would be drafted up in the range of Akers type for sure. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LarryDavid said:

I like Gibson.. and I actually like that there is the AP, Guice etc. there because it will hopefully help keep his ADP down to more of a late round steal. Like you said, I think he can make an impact regardless. But I also don’t think Guice can stay healthy and AP is obviously in his Frank Gore type days. I can easily see him eventually turning into the lead horse this season.

If AP has frank gore type numbers he will crush Gibson’s fantasy value unless he has Alvin kamara type receiving stats which he could but probably won’t happen his rookie year with the platoon of RBs 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Stonej14 said:

If AP has frank gore type numbers he will crush Gibson’s fantasy value unless he has Alvin kamara type receiving stats which he could but probably won’t happen his rookie year with the platoon of RBs 

I seriously need you to keep saying things like this - anything to lower Gibson’s ADP would be helpful!  Keep crushing others’ fantasy value, Frank/Adrian!

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Love the talk on Gibson, and think he could be a sneaky good pick in the mid to late rounds of redrafts. 

Full disclosure; the reason I created this thread in the first place is because in my most competitive league it's set-up as a (1) rookie keeper league. So, as you can image targeting the top rookie RB's is HUGE. Think along the lines of guys like Gurley, Zeke, CMC when they first came out. 

With that in mind, I'd like to focus on the upper echelon of this draft class first. The top (5) RB's in my mind are:

• CEH
  • Swift
  • Taylor
  • Akers
  • Dobbins

Factoring in talent, landing spot & competition for touches, who do you like more & why?

Thanks!

Posted (edited)
  • Clyde Edwards-Helaire (KC) - #1 RB off the board in all dynasty leagues. In redraft you have to consider that he was a 1st round pick of the best offense with the best QB, who is an excellent receiver, excellent runner and you don't draft with the beginning of the season on mind, you draft thinking about the end of the season. If CEH starts out slow and shares with Williams that is great, Williams has never had over 140 touches in a season so expect CEH to have a huge late season impact, IMO. So even sharing the snaps he can return RB2 value and I'd draft him as that in redraft and keeper leagues.
  • D'Andre Swift (Det.) - is my #4 RB in dynasty mostly because of the situation he went to. Detroit isn't the best location but swift is a smooth pass catcher but Matt Patricia loves RBBC. Can't count on kerryon staying healthy so swift is another excellent candidate to have that huge late season impact after he shares the early load with Kerryon. I think his early useage in a split backfield will warrant weekly flex value due to his receiving skills and the rushes he will get. In dynasty he is my #4 RB off the board.
  • Jonathan Taylor (Indy) - is my #3 RB taken in dynasty. He will initially share work with Mack and Hines and even though I think he takes most of Mack's touches I expect Hines to be the pass catching back. I think Taylor sees less touches on the year than CEH or JKD but he has game breaking speed for a RB so could be good for some boom weeks. I think his useage could be sporadic initially, kinda boom or bust but I expect him to have a good rookie season and to me will be the 3rd best sophomore RB heading into 2021 as Indy's lead back. In redraft I'd view him as a boom or bust weekly flex. In dynasty he is my #3 RB off the board.
  • Cam Akers (Rams) - is my #5 RB taken for dynasty. To me he has a nice combination of receiving and rushing skills. He could go a little higher or lower depending on how you view him. He was on some bad college teams but he has the type of dual threat ability that makes you drool, kinda like Devonta Freeman in that respect so I couldn't argue if you had him higher or lower. In redraft I think he is a factor right away but I think mcvay will keep brown and Henderson involved. I think he will provide weekly flex value and those later weeks are important. A couple rookies are gonna step into nice starting spots later in the season due to ineffectiveness from others or injury and Akers is as good a bet as any to be one of those. So in redraft I'd select him as a low end weekly flex who could take over or earn the starting role and give RB2 numbers later in the season. He is my #5 in dynasty due to Henderson being on his rookie deal 3 more years to play with Akers.
  • J. K. Dobbins (Balt.) - is my #2 RB taken for dynasty. He was a high selection for a Baltimore team that is one of the best rushing attacks in the NFL. He had better college #s than Ezekial Elliot.  He is the 2nd best fit for who drafted him next to CEH. Of course I do believe that he will share with Mark Ingram I think he phases out Edwards and hill quickly and it becomes a 2 man show, probably even see a split favoring Dobbins come fantasy playoff time. I think I'm redraft he will be a weekly flex since Baltimore runs so much and I'd draft him accordingly. In dynasty he is my #2 RB because in 2021 he will be a 3 down back for the best rushing attack in football.
  • A. J. Dillon (GB) - is my #10 RB for dynasty. A 2 down thumper who will be a beast at the goal line. In redraft he needs an Aaron Jones injury to be relevant. In dynasty he has a chance to be a 1,000 yard and 10+ TD RB
  • Antonio Gibson (Wash.) - is my #9 RB for dynasty. He is obviously a talented player but he is stepping into a crowded RB room, he could end up being a gadget player if Derrius Guice ends up being anything at all and Bryce Love is likely a better pure RB. Gibson does offer game breaking ability though catching it and rushing it. He just didn't have a lot of college experience so I worry about his transition to the NFL in being a consistent fantasy contributor, at least initially. He is off my redraft radar but one that you watch closely during the season, another guy you blow 50+ of your faab to secure if guice or AP are out of the picture.
  • Ke'Shawn Vaughn (TB) - is my #8 RB for dynasty. His situation could not have been much better. I think he beats RoJo out quickly but I think he cedes passing work to ogunbowale, another guy I think can have a late season surge and help people win a championship of he phases out rojo or he gets hurt. I think in dynasty he will be an early bloomer with Brady and that offense, long term I'm not sure what to think when Brady leaves, that's the reason I dropped him a bit in dynasty, in redraft he could be a high end flex almost weekly depending on how much better than. Rojo he is.
  • Zack Moss (Buff.) - is my #6 dynasty RB, he is jumping into an offense that loves to run and will almost certainly immediately share with Singletary. They are almost the exact same guy. They both broke tons of tackles in college and they both offer similar 3 down skill sets but will be in a timeshare sans injury. So, I view moss as a weekly flex in redraft who could be a high end PPR RB play if Singletary got hurt. 
  • Darrynton Evans (Tenn.) - is my #14 RB for dynasty. He is a good pass catcher and has some wheels but his useage will be inconsistently inconsistent and playing behind D. Henry will not afford him the most opportunity.
  • Joshua Kelley (Chargers)- is my #7 RB for dynasty. I'm sure some will scoff at this but he was incredibly efficient at UCLA, he can run and catch, he is a good goal line back, Ekeler only signed a 3 year deal and I don't believe in Justin Jackson. In RB terms Kelley was drafted fairly high and I think that means the chargers believed in the type of RB he is. In redraft he is off the radar but if Ekeler or Jackson get hurt I'd blow 50% of my faab on him.
  • La'Mical Perine (Jets) - my #16 RB for dynasty, doesn't do anything particularly great and he went to the worst coach in the NFL and a guy that obliterates RBs value, I almost put Malcolm Perry higher because of those factors 
  • Anthony McFarland Jr. (Pitt.) - is my #9 RB, he has a chance to return punts and kicks and catch some passes with a few rushes, he has an easier path to playing time I think than Antonio Gibson does and he is explosive. He was seldomly used in college though as a feature back so in redraft you fear he gets stuck in a timeshare and is a boom or bust weekly option. In dynasty he is my #9 because my leagues count return yards and McFarland is a good pass catcher.
  • DeeJay Dallas (Sea.) - is my #11 dynasty RB, his game is well rounded, catches, returns punts, runs fairly well for his size. In redraft he is off the radar. In dynasty he is my #11 RB cause his path to playing time is tougher but obscure RBs make names for themselves in Seattle quite often.
  • Jason Huntley (Det.) - is my #12 RB in dynasty. I like his skill set and anyone backing up Kerryon Johnson is worthy of a bench spot. Off the redraft radar unless an injury occurs.
  • Eno Benjamin (Ari.) - is my #13 RB for dynasty. He has a nice skill set both rushing and receiving and is a decent pass blocker, playing behind Drake and Edmonds won't offer much redraft value unless injuries happen.
  • Raymond Calais (TB) - my #15 RB for dynasty, in a good situation but buried in the depth chart and is a bit of a 1 trick pony with his speed, nothing worth chasing after.
  • Malcolm Perry (Mia) - my #17 RB for dynasty. Doesn't have a clear path to playing time. Maybe carves out a special teams role but by the time you get to a guy like Perry I'd rather  have Lynn Bowden Jr. Or UDFA's like Michael Warren III or Scottie Phillips.

**All my analysis is based on PPR and kick/punt return yardage leagues.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I’ve loved CEH from the jump - it just seems like he suddenly went from a perhaps under-appreciated prospect to a fantasy superstar months before he ever played an NFL snap.  He still deserves to be atop your list for a keeper.

Taylor has a clear-cut path to bell-cow status behind one of the best lines imaginable.

Akers has a clear-cut path to bell-cow status behind one of the worst lines imaginable.

Dobbins is an amazing talent - but I’ve literally lost track of how many good rushers are on the Ravens these days.

Swift is certainly talented - but I have to rank him last.  Not only is Kerryon about equal to him talent-wise, the Lions haven’t demonstrated any competence in assembling a decent rushing attack since the Taft administration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

McFarland is hard pass esp in dynasty. Thinking he plays a full season anytime in his NFL career is delusional. 

My ranks are def different (for dynasty) but this is how the backs went in my dynasty league's draft last weekend (PPR-16 teams with 2 full flex spots and higher stakes):

1-1 CEH

1-2 Jonathan Taylor

1-3 Swift

1-5 JK Dobbins

1-6 Cam Akers

1-9 K Vaughn

1-14 AJ Dillon

1-15 Z Moss

1-16 Antonio Gibson

2-5 Darryton Evans

2-6 A McFarland

2-12 Josh Kelley

3-4 Perine

3-6 Dallas

3-7 Eno Benjamin

3-13 Calais

4-3 M Warren

4-6 JaMycal Hasty (me)

4-13 Huntley

4-14 J Robinson

4-16 JJ Taylor

1 hour ago, LarryDavid said:

Yeah... that might be one of the dumbest comparison I’ve ever seen lol. There is not a shot in hell Guice is even close as talented as Cmac.. especially in the passing game. Thanks for sharing! 

No back has the recieving chops as McCaffrey , least of all Guice. It’s a Redskins article ... what do you expect haha . Derrius can’t even stay on the field , it’s like his 3rd year hoping he plays a full season. One major injury away from obscurity , three strikes and your out. 

3 hours ago, LarryDavid said:

Yeah... that might be one of the dumbest comparison I’ve ever seen lol. There is not a shot in hell Guice is even close as talented as Cmac.. especially in the passing game. Thanks for sharing! 

right. It’s one of the reasons I can’t get behind any player on the redskins that whole team from top to bottom is delusional and poorly ran 

i do think guice is a good player but def no CMC

• Like 1

Just now, Stonej14 said:

right. It’s one of the reasons I can’t get behind any player on the redskins that whole team from top to bottom is delusional and poorly ran 

i do think guice is a good player but def no CMC

Hey man!  It’s a new era - can you argue with much of anything they’ve done post-Allen?

4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Hey man!  It’s a new era - can you argue with much of anything they’ve done post-Allen?

Post Allen? Kyle Allen? 

14 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

Post Allen? Kyle Allen? 

Haha!  Excellent riposte!

22 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

My ranks are def different (for dynasty) but this is how the backs went in my dynasty league's draft last weekend (PPR-16 teams with 2 full flex spots and higher stakes):

1-1 CEH

1-2 Jonathan Taylor

1-3 Swift

1-5 JK Dobbins

1-6 Cam Akers

1-9 K Vaughn

1-14 AJ Dillon

1-15 Z Moss

1-16 Antonio Gibson

2-5 Darryton Evans

2-6 A McFarland

2-12 Josh Kelley

3-4 Perine

3-6 Dallas

3-7 Eno Benjamin

3-13 Calais

4-3 M Warren

4-6 JaMycal Hasty (me)

4-13 Huntley

4-14 J Robinson

4-16 JJ Taylor

I like the order of that list for the most part. Thanks for sharing man!

I think you can make a really solid argument that CEH should be the first rookie RB off the board. But, I think his ADP is gonna be a little too rich for me on draft day. Taylor, Swift then Dobbins or Akers then Dobbins seems about right to me. 

Swift or Dobbins stand out to me as potentially having the best long term value. The mileage on Taylor concerns me, but he could be a stud as early as this season. 

Solid class of RB's IMO. 

Posted (edited)

Redraft:

1. CEH — nothing much to explain here, 1st round pick who landed in the best offense

big tier break

2. Akers — Opportunity trumps almost everything and Henderson/Brown is less competition than Mack/Ingram/Johnson

3a. Dobbins — league winning upside in that offense

3b. Taylor — same as above, may not end up with either Taylor or Dobbins in redraft though

5. Swift — like him as a prospect but RBs go to die in DET.

Big tier break

6. Dillon — Could be the goaline back in GB if everything breaks right and Jones had about 20 TDs last year so the role could be profitable 

7. Gibson — This is a speculative pick about him possibly getting WR eligibility, don’t think he starts but seems like a lock for touches.

8. Vaughn — Don’t like him but he has a chance to be a starting RB

Dynasty/keeper

1. CEH — Same as above

kinda small tier break

2. Dobbins — Was a huge fan of his game and he went to the top rushing offense in the league

3. Taylor — He and Dobbins are very close but Dobbins get the edge for a higher ceiling in the passing game and less fumbling problems. Don’t really see a high end RB1 when looking at Taylor, more like a top RB2. 

Tier break

4. Swift — Want to believe in talent but that’s the same thing I’ve said going all the way back to Jahvid Best

Tier break

5. Akers — He should be a starting RB but that line scares me and I just don’t feel all that great about him as a prospect

6. Dillon — 2 RBs going into a contract year, a 2nd round pick invested into him by a coach who was Henry’s OC. You could do worse with a late 1st early 2nd

Tier break

7. Gibson — Same as above should have a role may be useful some weeks

8. Vaughn — Just not a fan of his, very likely they are in the market for another RB next year *Etienne* so I’m not going to be investing in Vaughn. Similar to Henderson last year.

Edited by Ddam2013
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For dynasty right now (standard scoring) I’ve got:

1. CEH

2. Taylor

3. Akers

4. Dobbins

5. Swift

but 3 through 5 seem pretty interchangeable right now based on competitiveness of your team and personal preference.

6. I really have no idea at this point but Vaughn is intriguing.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, smeeze said:

For dynasty right now (standard scoring) I’ve got:

1. CEH

2. Taylor

3. Akers

4. Dobbins

5. Swift

but 3 through 5 seem pretty interchangeable right now based on competitiveness of your team and personal preference.

6. I really have no idea at this point but Vaughn is intriguing.

Thoughts on Dobbins?

High pick by the Ravens, Ingram gone in 2021. Best rushing team in the NFL, organization already calling him a 3 down back, he was more productive than Zeke in college.

35 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Thoughts on Dobbins?

High pick by the Ravens, Ingram gone in 2021. Best rushing team in the NFL, organization already calling him a 3 down back, he was more productive than Zeke in college.

Really like Dobbins, just think Akers edges him out due to workhorse potential in 2020. If I was rebuilding I’d lean Dobbins over Akers. Really like both of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/16/2020 at 5:09 PM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Thoughts on Dobbins?

I think Ingram is signed through 2021.

• Like 1