Sign in to follow this  
mocha4313

Diontae Johnson 2020 Outlook

3 minutes ago, Sternes said:

Alright, as someone who knows nothing about him and is trying to quickly educated myself because someone is offering him to me in a trade.  I've seen some youtube videos and like what I see. Obviously some injury concerns. I have seen exactly 0 Steelers games this year.  I see the target share above me which has me drooling.  What are some things that those of you who follow him or watch Steelers games feel like is insider info? 

For instance I see in the box score today Juju got almost the same amount of targets he did.  Yet, everyone is talking about Johnson and rumors of Juju not being there next year.  That isn't me knocking Johnson, just someone who hasn't seen him and trying to figure out why people think he is the "man" vs Juju or Claypool for instance.

Johnson is the best route runner on this team. Lines up in the slot, Ben loves him (clearly with Claypool has been balling saw limited targets) he is incredible in the open field. If he is healthy, his upside is low WR1

• Like 1

Pittsburgh Steelers WR Diontae Johnson posted nine receptions for 80 yards and two touchdowns on a game-high 15 targets in Week 7 against the Tennessee Titans.
Huddle Up: Johnson entered the day with one catch, minus-2 yards and nine rushing yards across his past two games, so don't get carried away and add him across the board. His production has been rather inconsistent, making him a risky play in many fantasy formats heading into Week 8 in Baltimore.

This might be the worst take I've ever seen. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Sternes said:

Alright, as someone who knows nothing about him and is trying to quickly educated myself because someone is offering him to me in a trade.  I've seen some youtube videos and like what I see. Obviously some injury concerns. I have seen exactly 0 Steelers games this year.  I see the target share above me which has me drooling.  What are some things that those of you who follow him or watch Steelers games feel like is insider info? 

For instance I see in the box score today Juju got almost the same amount of targets he did.  Yet, everyone is talking about Johnson and rumors of Juju not being there next year.  That isn't me knocking Johnson, just someone who hasn't seen him and trying to figure out why people think he is the "man" vs Juju or Claypool for instance.

There reason why people are putting DJ above JuJu is that when DJ has been healthy and played full games, he dominates the target share.  Today was pretty even between the two but, previously, DJ was by far the most targeted Steelers WR.

Of course the negative is that DJ has been dinged up this year and missed some games.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JacobThunder15 said:

Johnson is the best route runner on this team. Lines up in the slot, Ben loves him (clearly with Claypool has been balling saw limited targets) he is incredible in the open field. If he is healthy, his upside is low WR1

Was there a reason for his two "down games" (again, box score/game log watching)?  I see 3 with double digit targets which obviously have me drooling like everyone else here.  Then the 1 and 2 target games sandwiched between them.

1 minute ago, Sternes said:

Was there a reason for his two "down games" (again, box score/game log watching)?  I see 3 with double digit targets which obviously have me drooling like everyone else here.  Then the 1 and 2 target games sandwiched between them.

Hurt

• Like 1

Just now, machine3 said:
Pittsburgh Steelers WR Diontae Johnson posted nine receptions for 80 yards and two touchdowns on a game-high 15 targets in Week 7 against the Tennessee Titans.
Huddle Up: Johnson entered the day with one catch, minus-2 yards and nine rushing yards across his past two games, so don't get carried away and add him across the board. His production has been rather inconsistent, making him a risky play in many fantasy formats heading into Week 8 in Baltimore.

Who made that take?  Just curious to probably avoid that person's advice in the future.

Just now, Kilo said:

Who made that take?  Just curious to probably avoid that person's advice in the future.

The Huddle

1 minute ago, JacobThunder15 said:

Hurt

Yep, left those games early with injury

5 minutes ago, machine3 said:

That is awful. Where did you get that??

Eta...sorry, just saw you answered that. 

Edited by Flyman75

22 minutes ago, JacobThunder15 said:

Hurt

And YOU CAN HAVE IT ALL!!!

MY EMPIRE OF DIRT!!!

I WILL LET YOU DOWN!

CAUSE EVERY WEEK I’M HURT!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Proteus said:

And YOU CAN HAVE IT ALL!!!

MY EMPIRE OF DIRT!!!

I WILL LET YOU DOWN!

CAUSE EVERY WEEK I’M HURT!!!

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Kilo said:

Yep, left those games early with injury

Those stung so bad, he pulled a Will Fuller ... twice.  FML 

Super early in the games too, and dropped 0's basically. 

But when healthy and on the field, he's a certifiable stud. 

21 minutes ago, Sternes said:

Great cover but I need Trent’s rage and went all caps

59 minutes ago, JacobThunder15 said:

Fwiw Johnson does not take most of his snaps in the slot.  That is usually JuJu.

agree He is the best route runner on the team

• Like 1

Yep juju handles the slot diontae is the outside guy though he also does a lot of jet sweep\motion plays. He is a slick route runner who Ben loves, which is crucial.  Wouldn’t say AB though as DJ relies more on his separation ability while Antonio not only did that but he also made contested catches and deep ball catches. He truly was a complete player. I feel like he compares pretty well to Tyler Lockett if he can clean up some of the mental mistakes and work on tracking the deep ball. He is also a stud on special teams.

Edited by Yanksfan06
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, machine3 said:

Holy hell, "don't get carried away and add him across board"...MAN LOL...someone got PAID for this analysis?

Crazy thing is as big a day as he had, and he had two more balls thrown his way in the end zone. One was a red zone drop, the other was a longer bomb down the right sideline that would’ve been a very difficult diving grab but would have gone for 6 if he could have hauled it in.

I don’t know anything else, but I know that Ben loves throwing to this guy, and that’s all I care about.  He hasn’t played a full game and NOT gotten double digit targets.  It’s week 8.  I’m starting this dude every week he’s healthy, and I’ll gladly take the Fuller risk given the potential return.

BTW, was glad to see they took DJ off return duties. Now they’ve got Rayray McLoud returning. That also says a lot about how the Staff views DJ’s importance to the offense, IMO, considering the back injury he got in week 5 was sustained on a return.

Edited by FeastMode
  • Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 6:26 PM, BIGFATPANDA said:

He needs to inject some Lebron blood...

Thanks Lebron for your blood....

On 10/17/2020 at 4:57 PM, BIGFATPANDA said:

Actually glad he sitting this week out. Rather have him for the long run. He was the number 1 target for Ben with Claypool healthy. Claypool can take all the shine now. I’ll take Deontae’s shine as true WR 1 on this team week 8-16

Off to a good start. Keep it going DJ! All the way to a chip!

18 hours ago, machine3 said:

That should have been the take for Claypool 3 weeks ago. 

Edited by Cleanface

So, who has the balls to start him this week? Ive been holding out because the 2 games I played him he cost me my week going out with injury 

1 hour ago, JacobThunder15 said:

So, who has the balls to start him this week? Ive been holding out because the 2 games I played him he cost me my week going out with injury 

No balls no glory.

At this point it's crazy not to start him if healthy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JacobThunder15 said:

Hard to sit a guy who gets 30% target share when he’s in there. 

17 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

No balls no glory.

At this point it's crazy not to start him if healthy. 

So given the production and the injuries, what do you view him as if you plug him in? High floor but risky if he goes on and gets hurt?