Sign in to follow this  
mocha4313

Diontae Johnson 2020 Outlook

Posted (edited)

Johnson was cut in my PPR league 5 days ago and he is still unclaimed on waivers.  I just think there are too many mouths to feed aka JuJu, Johnson, Claypool who they really seem to like and Washington for any to be more than a wr3 at best this season.  I have a feeling that there won't be a clear cut #1 wr for the Steelers and that Ben will spread the ball around if he stays healthy.

Edited by sjm76

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

Johnson was cut in my PPR league 5 days ago and he is still unclaimed on waivers.  I just think there are too many mouths to feed aka JuJu, Johnson, Claypool who they really seem to like and Washington for any to be more than a wr3 this season.  I have a feeling that there won't be a clear cut #1 wr for the Steelers and that Ben will spread the ball around.

Reasonable eval.  And Ben has not worked with Diontae or Claypool much.  If healthy though, Johnson has the talent to shine as the #2 and maybe the #1.  Or maybe I am overly excited by his film.  But he seems like he has the It factor.

Edited by EWV1
gif did not work

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

Johnson was cut in my PPR league 5 days ago and he is still unclaimed on waivers.  I just think there are too many mouths to feed aka JuJu, Johnson, Claypool who they really seem to like and Washington for any to be more than a wr3 at best this season.  I have a feeling that there won't be a clear cut #1 wr for the Steelers and that Ben will spread the ball around if he stays healthy.

It's possible the majority of your league isn't paying attention after he was dropped. Crazier things have happened, but he needs to be rostered through the first week or two to see how things shake out. Ben has routinely supported multiple receivers.

Edited by MrCantaloupe

Plus if you play in a keeper league, if JuJu walks next year, DJ could be the #1.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, sjm76 said:

I wish I played in a league like this. That's insane to me lol

Claypool is a total nonfactor year 1

Edited by mocha4313

6 hours ago, MrCantaloupe said:

It's possible the majority of your league isn't paying attention after he was dropped. Crazier things have happened, but he needs to be rostered through the first week or two to see how things shake out. Ben has routinely supported multiple receivers.

Occasionally, yes, but I wouldn’t say routinely. I guess it depends on what you mean by that statement. 

1 hour ago, CamNewton said:

Is Claypool the real winner in PIT this year?

Depends what you mean by winner. Could certainly be the guy who best outperforms his ADP. Will I ever feel comfortable starting him? Doubtful.

8 hours ago, MrCantaloupe said:

Depends what you mean by winner. Could certainly be the guy who best outperforms his ADP. Will I ever feel comfortable starting him? Doubtful.

Very true, as is always with rookies. Camp reports are that Ben's throwing motion doesn't look good and is off. That's got me scared for this entire offense. If you're going to buy, buy on the low end (meaning not Conner, JuJu).

2 hours ago, CamNewton said:

Very true, as is always with rookies. Camp reports are that Ben's throwing motion doesn't look good and is off. That's got me scared for this entire offense. If you're going to buy, buy on the low end (meaning not Conner, JuJu).

Where are you seeing that? Everything I’ve seen is the complete opposite. 

5 hours ago, CamNewton said:

I live in Pittsburgh and the reports are that he looks good

On 8/26/2020 at 4:23 PM, sjm76 said:

I had a roster spot available and Johnson was still available so I added him off of waivers.  I will monitor his usage for the first 3-4 games or so and see how he does with Big Ben before deciding whether he's still worth a roster spot at that point.

Any news on whether Johnson will be ready for week 1?  Haven't heard anything about him for awhile now.

44 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

Any news on whether Johnson will be ready for week 1?  Haven't heard anything about him for awhile now.

Think so. I felt early August his ADP was on fire, and now since the injury and the random steelers WR's tidbits, it naturally is falling.

Diontae is somewhere in the middle, but I'm still comfortable with him in the 8th.

6 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Think so. I felt early August his ADP was on fire, and now since the injury and the random steelers WR's tidbits, it naturally is falling.

Diontae is somewhere in the middle, but I'm still comfortable with him in the 8th.

I read there's a good chance of JuJu leaving as a free agent following this season and that the Steelers will give Diontae plenty of passes to see if he can be the #1 guy moving forward.

Edited by sjm76

4 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

ALL ABOARD (FOR BEN'S 11 QTR SZN!!1!11!)

Coming from a Steeler fan.... Johnson is the best WR on the team. 

31 minutes ago, 77georgec said:

Is it just me, or do a lot of Steelers fans hate Juju? I've been avoiding Juju and drafting Diontae because that's the impression I get.

Edited by daethfromabove1979

1 minute ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

Is it just me, or do a lot of Steelers fans hate Juju? I've been avoiding Juju and drafting Diontae because that's the impression I get.

i don't think the fans hate him, man. I think most of us realized that AB was a big reason why Juju flourished. He is talented but not a true number 1. I took Johnson as well. 

18 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

All indications are that the Steelers will probably let JuJu walk after the season when he's a free agent and they are going to see if Diontae can be the #1 guy this season.

21 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

No hate towards Juju, except from some writers... But me personally, I believe Diontae is THAT good that he can be the number 1 guy in this offense this year.

1 hour ago, 77georgec said:

Is Ben going to be slinging post-injury?  I want to avoid a GB run-first scenario.  That one report on velocity is from about 2 weeks ago, and I've only seen positive updates since.  Does 2 weeks really make a difference?   Sounds like a Ben question, but I drafted DJ.

Edited by gotamancrushontombrady

13 minutes ago, gotamancrushontombrady said:

Is Ben going to be slinging post-injury?  I want to avoid a GB run-first scenario.  That one report on velocity is from about 2 weeks ago, and I've only seen positive updates since.  Does 2 weeks really make a difference?   Sounds like a Ben question, but I drafted DJ.

Ben is fine, maybe in better body shape than ever. In a documentary he told that he had pain in his elbow his whole career and now his arm is feeling better than ever. He'll slinging it, no worries...

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gotamancrushontombrady said:

According to The Athletic's Mark Kaboly, Ben Roethlisberger has "made every throw" at Steelers camp, and his elbow is "not a concern."

There were whispers earlier in camp that Big Ben was "short-arming" passes, but that appeared to be either a minor blip on the whole radar or a planned thing. The reports around Roethlisberger's arm have been mostly positive much of the summer since he was cleared for team drills. This offense is a major bounce-back candidate, and it all falls on Big Ben's shoulders to carry it. He's very much the front-runner for Comeback Player of the Year.

• Like 1