Sivaro

WR First Strategy for 2020

Posted (edited)

As a refresher, this type of strategy was popular for quite a while and has seen renewed interest. 

To re-iterate the true WR first strategy.   Your very first pick must be a WR, and then next 4 cannot be a RB.   This means the first 5 picks CANNOT be a RB. The goal, is to get two WR 1's, and top 3 in the other categories of QB, DEF, TE . The first RB chosen will be in the 6th round or later.  It is very difficult to pass on RB's that fall to you in the 5th, but you must maintain the discipline needed to get number 1 ranked starters at other positions.

I use this strategy in one league exclusively.     This is my first Mock Draft, picking at position 6, standard snake draft, full PPR.

1. Tyreek Hill (KC - WR)    - Wanted M Thomas, but he did not fall.   I like him over ( Adams, Jones)
2. George Kittle (SF - TE) -  Kelce is ranked higher, so technically I should have gone with him.
3. Mark Andrews (Bal - TE) -  Yep, that's right, another TE, He will be my flex start, and it hurt the other teams.
4. Dak Prescott (Dal - QB)  -  Missed on Mahonnes, but like Prescott this year as well
5. DK Metcalf (Sea - WR)  -  He should be a solid number 2.
6. Cam Akers (LAR - RB)  -  Fell to the 6th, and I like him for late year mostly, he should get points every week though
7. Sony Michel (NE - RB)  -  Prove it season and I like him early.
8. Buffalo (Buf - DEF)      - Top 5 defense, and I am happy with this.
9. Derrius Guice (Was - RB)  -   Another late round pick that has alot of potential
10. Darius Slayton (NYG - WR)  -  Solid WR 3
11. Mike Gesicki (Mia - TE)  -   Breakout candidate , and fill in for the other 2 on byes and injury.
12. Jared Goff (LAR - QB)   -  He is surrounded by weapons, he is a good start
13. Justin Jackson (LAC - RB)  -  He is one injury away from monster stats.
14. Joey Slye (Car - K)  -   Good kicker with huge games.
15. Jalen Reagor (Phi - WR)  -  Nice flyer.

Let me know what you think the grade for this team is.  ( I will be back with two other mocks, one in the early rounds, and one later)

Post yours if you dare to try it.

Edited by Sivaro
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Gotta be honest, if this was my team I'd cry 

Two tight ends that early ?

Edited by Savatage79
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Not a fan of this strategy, but you somehow made it even worse double dipping at TE, then taking Dak in the 4th. Buffalo D is also a head scratcher.

i actually like your rb flyers, but lots of ???s here 

Edited by Panthers8912
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

Gotta be honest, if this was my team I'd cry 

Good!    I like feed back, even if it is a critique.   My one problem is going 2 TE. .  But I really did not like the WR 's on the board in Round 3.

Edited by Sivaro

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Sivaro said:

Good!    I like feed back, even if it is a critique.   My one problem is going 2 TE. .  But I really did not like the WR 's on the board in Round 3.

It's not even the 2 TEs, dak in the 4th? Another tight end down the line ?

After Tyreek man this team fails hard lol

This team would get gangbanged all week long 

Edited by Savatage79
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

I was at position 6, had I been either earlier or later, I would have picked 2 WR.   Round 1 and 2.   But as it stood, my 2nd round pick was at 18 overall.   So I decided to undercut my competition instead of taking a WR 2.     BUT, that could come back to haunt me. ....very true.

Posted (edited)

If you all wanna have fun, try doing it.   it is very difficult not to pull the trigger on a RB till round 6.   LOL

My ranking on yahoo was a C+ and I was number 5 in the standings....crazy huh!

I look forward to seeing your results!

Edited by Sivaro

To make this work you need heavy hitting WRs in your first few picks, then make some savvy rb picks. Your 2-4 picks are brutal 

• Thanks 2

This team is awful. Tight end is deep, so you don’t really hurt other teams as much as you think by picking Andrews. Hate the Dak pick in the fourth as well given what you had so far. Either go strong for another WR or take your first RB there. Why must you stick to the 6th round and later rule? All of your RBs are unreliable. And the advantage you think you gain by this strategy doesn’t outweigh the disadvantage at your RBs. 

• Like 1

This strategy is so dumb.

Why would I force myself to not pick a RB? Ezekiel Elliot is there at 10. Nope. Can’t draft him. Got to stick to these self imposed rules I made up.

I get going WR/WR. Hell, sometimes even WR/WR/WR if guys you really like are there. However, not taking a RB in your first 4 picks is dumb. It’s even dumber drafting a QB and TE before a single back. 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Sivaro said:

Let me know what you think the grade for this team is.

So... This is maybe an assistant coach question?

• Thanks 2

Never ever use this strategy

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Boudewijn said:

So... This is maybe an assistant coach question?

Yeah, probably

here's a better version of it and you don't need a d early.

https://www.fantasypros.com/2017/05/using-zero-rb-strategy-to-win-your-league/

I'm a fan of it as I play in many leagues and it's ceiling is almost unbeatable if hit on a RB or even just nab hot ones throughout the year. I definitely wouldn't do it if I only had 1 league though as it's floor is last place if no luck with the RB's and god forbid a WR busting.

So let me do what you did as an exercise. I'm only going to do first 5 picks. I'll be using FantasyPros rankings since ADP is all out of wack as a guide and I don't feel like doing a mock. Picking 6th:

1. Dalvin Cook

2. Aaron Jones

3. Parker

4. DK

5. K. Murray (can also pick Wilson or Watson)

Instead of Parker you can also take like JuJu or Sutton. In round 5 i rather have like Diggs or Hilton but going straight off their rankings they would be gone. Bell is available at that spot in their rankings but being realistic he would be gone. So I wouldn't want any business with like Chark, Montgomery, McLaurin, Conner, and a few others in round 5. I would usually wait for a QB but better to take one than a player you have valued an entire round or two later.

So Cook, Jones, Parker, DK, and Murray vs Hill, Kittle, Andrews, Prescott, and DK. Yeah, not a tough choice.

If you're going WR,WR/TE you need to go RB heavy for the rest of the draft. QB early. D/ST WAY too early. Back up TE and QB before possible RB sleepers? Just bad man. Really bad. 

This is draft 2, and I was at position 3.    

1. Michael Thomas (NO - WR)  -  Justifiably the best
2. Kenny Golladay (Det - WR)  -  Another WR1 , Low end, but explosive.
3. Patrick Mahomes (KC - QB)   -   Pretty much the consensus QB1
4. Zach Ertz (Phi - TE)             -   Ranked high, should have a solid year
5. A.J. Green (Cin - WR)     -       He may or may not hit, but historically great.   
6. Sony Michel (NE - RB)     -  My first RB, Prove it year.   
7. Kerryon Johnson (Det - RB)  -   I was happy to get him in the 7th, he as tons of talent and needs to stay healthy
8. Pittsburgh (Pit - DEF)           -  Top 3 DEF
10. Ronald Jones II (TB - RB)   -  Worth a gamble, you never know what ca happen
11. Hayden Hurst (Atl - TE)      -  Backup to Ertz, could surprise
13. Jalen Reagor (Phi - WR)    -   I like his chances lat year.
14. Matt Prater (Det - K)         -  Ok
15. Greg Olsen (Sea - TE)      -    He is a hail mary.

My Starters

QB- Mahomes

WR Thomas , Golladay

RB,S Michel, K Johnson

TE Etz

FLex - AJ Green

DEF - Pitt

K Prater

This team would worry me a bit if I had to face them.     Surprisingly, this team received a lower raining than the first I drafted. According to the methodology of the strategy, I did very well   2 x WR1 ,  TE- Top 5,   QB top 3,  Def - Top 5  K- Top 10

Remember , the goal is top 5 at all the other positions. ( plus two WR1)    

I have one more draft to do,but this one from the back-end of the draft , Postilion 10-12.

1 hour ago, Sivaro said:

5. A.J. Green (Cin - WR)     -       He may or may not hit, but historically great.   
7. Kerryon Johnson (Det - RB)  -   I was happy to get him in the 7th, he as tons of talent and needs to stay healthy
10. Ronald Jones II (TB - RB)   -  Worth a gamble, you never know what ca happen

My Starters

QB- Mahomes

WR Thomas , Golladay

RB,S Michel, K Johnson

TE Etz

FLex - AJ Green

DEF - Pitt

K Prater

This team would worry me a bit if I had to face them.     Surprisingly, this team received a lower raining than the first I drafted. According to the methodology of the strategy, I did very well   2 x WR1 ,  TE- Top 5,   QB top 3,  Def - Top 5  K- Top 10

I have one more draft to do,but this one from the back-end of the draft , Postilion 10-12.

Why do you love Sony and drafting Defenses in the 8th round? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sivaro said:

My Starters

QB- Mahomes

WR Thomas , Golladay

RB,S Michel, K Johnson

TE Etz

FLex - AJ Green

DEF - Pitt

K Prater

Landing Rojo was big for you.... but still BRUTAL at rb.    I rarely take a qb and TE early as it murders one of your flex positions-  in your case rb.   One or two of Jared Cook,  Hooper,  Henry,  Gronk later would have gotten you a MG3 or Fournette to lead the scrub rbs in battle.  

just a thought....  great WRs and Mahomes tho 

Not going RB in the first 5 is going to tank your season. I hate this strategy. 

id rather go with 5 RBs than what you did 

• Like 1

taking QB and TE that early just feels dirty. I already screwed up and took Drake in the 4th, trying again...

(tried to edit original post but it locked)

goofed again, but this pretty much shows why I will NOT be drafting TE early

tTlLKyq.png

• Thanks 1

a little better, but I just can't get on board with this strategy. there are basically zero scenarios where I would ever go TE or DEF that high and QB is a stretch too. way too much late round value in those three positions. there is some value to be had in later round RBs, but as with everything you're banking on one or two of those guys rising. would way rather cross reference WR-RB earlier on rather than waiting.

dsB7UfJ.png

• Thanks 1

Last year you could have ended up with something like this.

Hopkins

Kelce

Cooper

Godwin

Lockett/Golladay/Dj Moore, Ridley etc...

Ekeler

Singletary

MSanders

some warm bodies while you wait for your rookies/wait for injuries like Hyde, Michel, Barber, Ronald Jones etc... LMurray was a beast for 2 weeks, the 2 rookies eventually became vital parts, Drake was possibly dropped in some leagues etc..

Fun Fact Tim Hightower and CJ Anderson off the street won people fantasy championships, Damien Williams requiring Hunt to kick a girl then a Ware injury won people championships, Jaylen Samuels and Jamaal Williams that same year too, Forsett, Jeremy Hill and CJ Anderson when he was still in the NFL won teams championships as well etc...

I bet if we rewind 1 year everyone would have hated that above team before last season. It's a risky proposition but when it hits it's nearly unbeatable and if you can squeeze into the playoffs which is possible even with terrible RB play you can find some league winners on the wire late in the year usually.

• Like 1