Sivaro

WR First Strategy for 2020

10 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

This strategy was good 5-10 years ago. Now, the elite RBs score much more points than WRs. Plus, the drop off in RBs is quick and sharp.

It's not impossible to make work but you'd need to go wait on QB and TE until late in the draft.. 

This year could be another year where it could come back, many people are advocating RB early and wait on WR that a possibility to zig may occur, Michael Florio was in a draft where 11 of the 12 first rounders were RB, Dalton Del Don on a yahoo podcast likes to start with 4 RB's etc...

1 minute ago, turner46 said:

This year could be another year where it could come back, many people are advocating RB early and wait on WR that a possibility to zig may occur, Michael Florio was in a draft where 11 of the 12 first rounders were RB, Dalton Del Don on a yahoo podcast likes to start with 4 RB's etc...

So you'll have two top 10 WRs and no RBs above 25?...draft rank. 

Trust me....I used this strategy a lot in the early 2000s with much success. It hasn't worked for me the last couple of years.

I had two teams last year. One I went Tyreek, OBJ the other I went Zeke and Aaron Jones. Even if I took the two best WRs at the end on the year Thomas/Godwin it still would've been less points.

1 minute ago, this guy right here said:

So you'll have two top 10 WRs and no RBs above 25?...draft rank. 

Trust me....I used this strategy a lot in the early 2000s with much success. It hasn't worked for me the last couple of years.

I had two teams last year. One I went Tyreek, OBJ the other I went Zeke and Aaron Jones. Even if I took the two best WRs at the end on the year Thomas/Godwin it still would've been less points.

2 top 5, maybe 3 top 10, 4 top 20 and hopefully a top 4 TE also through 5 rounds. Your RB's will be bad but with a little luck could elevate this team into a juggernaut.

Let's say

Adams

Julio

Kittle

Juju/OBJ/Thielen

Ridley/Woods/Lockett

Hunt/a TB RB/Kerryon/Dwilliams type

same as above RB's

White/Michel/Duke Johnson/Mack/Guice/Lindsay/a Dolphin RB

same as above

It's not pretty but if just 1 RB pans out it's a scary team.

turner invite me to join your leagues in pms if you do leaguesafe. I am not saying I am a good drafter. LAst year my fppc 350 team was sunk starting off with conner damien williams david montgomery royce freeman lindsay Clearly that team sssssucked.

8 hours ago, isuckatdfs said:

turner invite me to join your leagues in pms if you do leaguesafe. I am not saying I am a good drafter. LAst year my fppc 350 team was sunk starting off with conner damien williams david montgomery royce freeman lindsay Clearly that team sssssucked.

I likely won't draft the above way just being open to it. I'm from Canada so my local leagues use Canadian dollars and etransfers but I do have money on NFFC, FFPC including a $350 ticket and yahoo if any of those options interest you.

14 hours ago, turner46 said:

2 top 5, maybe 3 top 10, 4 top 20 and hopefully a top 4 TE also through 5 rounds. Your RB's will be bad but with a little luck could elevate this team into a juggernaut.

Let's say

Adams

Julio

Kittle

Juju/OBJ/Thielen

Ridley/Woods/Lockett

Hunt/a TB RB/Kerryon/Dwilliams type

same as above RB's

White/Michel/Duke Johnson/Mack/Guice/Lindsay/a Dolphin RB

same as above

It's not pretty but if just 1 RB pans out it's a scary team.

Ultimately it depends on what pick you have to even be able to attempt it. Not going to pass on the top 5-6 RBs.

• Like 1

https://www.rotoballer.com/fantasy-draft-strategy-starting-with-two-rbs/739016

Zig when Zag sometimes as the above article promoting RB RB as well as many on twitter appear to be etc..., top 5 pick I go RB 6 on though Henry could break down and next to nothing in pass game, Mixon could hold out and yet to fully put it all together, Chubb when Hunt was activated his receptions disappeared, Sanders small sample size, Drake small sample size, Jacobs small sample size more weapons brought in, Ekeler yet to do it without Rivers, AJones 4 of his biggest games were with Adams out plus TD regression likely and also the Packers have a tough schedule so 13-3 and less positive game scripts possible, Helaire yet to play a down and Williams lurks and also rarely do 4.6 or worse RB's do great things in the NFL etc...

4 hours ago, turner46 said:

I likely won't draft the above way just being open to it. I'm from Canada so my local leagues use Canadian dollars and etransfers but I do have money on NFFC, FFPC including a $350 ticket and yahoo if any of those options interest you.

I would love to do a ffpc league that you are in just to compete with someone from this board and I will enter some yahoo leagues with you if you are using yahoo money? I try to avoid yahoo pro leagues to avoid the rake.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, isuckatdfs said:

I would love to do a ffpc league that you are in just to compete with someone from this board and I will enter some yahoo leagues with you if you are using yahoo money? I try to avoid yahoo pro leagues to avoid the rake.

I'm down, I got 2nd in my FBG league last year for $500 plus in the overall tourney won a $350 ticket for this year so if you want that I'm down, if not a cheaper league with no overall. I mainly use yahoo money for DFS football and also ypro for basketball and baseball as i don't have local leagues in those sports but whatever is best for you works for me.

Posted (edited)

I went wr wr wr last year and ended in 3rd in a 12 man .5ppr league. I found my team was pretty boom or bust although the busts were scoring low 100s while my average was high 120s.  It wasn't bad at all but i found it was really annoying struggling for rbs and it was harder to get rbs than i thought.  Although i still had  really high scoring games so would do agian 

Edited by BigBenTheSteelerMan
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

IF any of your late round RB's break out you would have an unstoppable team.

Remember, your team already has top 5 ranked players at every position other than RB on day one.  

Edited by Sivaro

On 5/16/2020 at 8:36 PM, Sivaro said:

As a refresher, this type of strategy was popular for quite a while and has seen renewed interest. 

To re-iterate the true WR first strategy.   Your very first pick must be a WR, and then next 4 cannot be a RB.   This means the first 5 picks CANNOT be a RB. The goal, is to get two WR 1's, and top 3 in the other categories of QB, DEF, TE . The first RB chosen will be in the 6th round or later.  It is very difficult to pass on RB's that fall to you in the 5th, but you must maintain the discipline needed to get number 1 ranked starters at other positions.

I use this strategy in one league exclusively.     This is my first Mock Draft, picking at position 6, standard snake draft, full PPR.

1. Tyreek Hill (KC - WR)    - Wanted M Thomas, but he did not fall.   I like him over ( Adams, Jones)
2. George Kittle (SF - TE) -  Kelce is ranked higher, so technically I should have gone with him.
3. Mark Andrews (Bal - TE) -  Yep, that's right, another TE, He will be my flex start, and it hurt the other teams.
4. Dak Prescott (Dal - QB)  -  Missed on Mahonnes, but like Prescott this year as well
5. DK Metcalf (Sea - WR)  -  He should be a solid number 2.
6. Cam Akers (LAR - RB)  -  Fell to the 6th, and I like him for late year mostly, he should get points every week though
7. Sony Michel (NE - RB)  -  Prove it season and I like him early.
8. Buffalo (Buf - DEF)      - Top 5 defense, and I am happy with this.
9. Derrius Guice (Was - RB)  -   Another late round pick that has alot of potential
10. Darius Slayton (NYG - WR)  -  Solid WR 3
11. Mike Gesicki (Mia - TE)  -   Breakout candidate , and fill in for the other 2 on byes and injury.
12. Jared Goff (LAR - QB)   -  He is surrounded by weapons, he is a good start
13. Justin Jackson (LAC - RB)  -  He is one injury away from monster stats.
14. Joey Slye (Car - K)  -   Good kicker with huge games.
15. Jalen Reagor (Phi - WR)  -  Nice flyer.

Let me know what you think the grade for this team is.  ( I will be back with two other mocks, one in the early rounds, and one later)

Post yours if you dare to try it.

Last year I drafted 3 straight wrs Thomas, Julio, Edelman, and would of drafted ertz if he wasnt taken right before me. Won everything with chris thompson, boston scott, latavius murrary, chase Edmunds, etc.

I think if you dont have a top 6 pick (henry, zeke,cmc, ak, barkley, cook) you should go wr, kelce or wr, wr and bpa in the 3rd usually a wr. In full ppr i see a lot of guys who can give you a cheap 10 pts with catches in the 7-9. Boston scott, hines, cohen, hunt, etc.

Not to mention that last year was weird in the fact that there were NO great FA rbs that lasted the full season. Drake was most likely drafted, edmunds/Murray were good for like 2 weeks, etc. Top rbs stayed real healthy last year, I see things coming back to normal with rb injuries and back ups turning into league winners with corona limiting otas and less of a firm hand on rbs.

I agree with going 3 wrs/te in the first 4 rds if you dont have a top 5 pick. Traditionally they are safer from injury and you want that in your first 4 picks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, nmartinez12443 said:

Last year I drafted 3 straight wrs Thomas, Julio, Edelman, and would of drafted ertz if he wasnt taken right before me. Won everything with chris thompson, boston scott, latavius murrary, chase Edmunds, etc.

I think if you dont have a top 6 pick (henry, zeke,cmc, ak, barkley, cook) you should go wr, kelce or wr, wr and bpa in the 3rd usually a wr. In full ppr i see a lot of guys who can give you a cheap 10 pts with catches in the 7-9. Boston scott, hines, cohen, hunt, etc.

Not to mention that last year was weird in the fact that there were NO great FA rbs that lasted the full season. Drake was most likely drafted, edmunds/Murray were good for like 2 weeks, etc. Top rbs stayed real healthy last year, I see things coming back to normal with rb injuries and back ups turning into league winners with corona limiting otas and less of a firm hand on rbs.

I agree with going 3 wrs/te in the first 4 rds if you dont have a top 5 pick. Traditionally they are safer from injury and you want that in your first 4 picks

This 100%.  Last year, 2 out of 4 of my redrafts won the 'ship with the 3rd making it in using this strategy. If your draft spot won't allow you to grab a tier 1 rb, you can find better value in grabbing the "safer" top wrs while everyone is reaching for RBs in the early rounds. After that, you stock up on upside rb stashes in the later rounds and pray to the fantasy gods that one hits.

No strategy is perfect, and you need to be flexible based on what is available on the board. Getting stuck thinking you have to load up on RBs early can hinder your chances before the season even starts.

1 hour ago, nmartinez12443 said:

I agree with going 3 wrs/te in the first 4 rds if you dont have a top 5 pick. Traditionally they are safer from injury and you want that in your first 4 picks. 

1 hour ago, Jwook said:

This 100%.  Last year, 2 out of 4 of my redrafts won the 'ship with the 3rd making it in using this strategy. If your draft spot won't allow you to grab a tier 1 rb, you can find better value in grabbing the "safer" top wrs while everyone is reaching for RBs in the early rounds. After that, you stock up on upside rb stashes in the later rounds and pray to the fantasy gods that one hits.

No strategy is perfect, and you need to be flexible based on what is available on the board. Getting stuck thinking you have to load up on RBs early can hinder your chances before the season even starts.

Agree, last year despite many rankings having Conner, Mixon, Bell and Damian Williams high for whatever reason being sample size or lack on talent on offense I was 100% out on them. Cook was my guy based on Kubiak and I posted a article here last year showing his history as a play caller for all positions, I believe I posted same article in Cousins thread but besides the point. This year after the top 5 Chubb is my guy based on adding Conklin at RT, a LT 10th overall and the new coach was under Kubiak last year, will it be the same on his own I doubt it, but one thing I'm sure on is Mike Shanahan, Gary Kubiak and Kyle Shanahan are RB whisperers and I've seen Stefanski say he can't wait to work with both Chubb and Hunt. I'm likely gonna miss out on Henry, Mixon, Sanders, Drake, Ekeler and Jacobs this fantasy season but I may be wrong on some if not all but with elite WR's or Kelce instead I'll be content. Despite me avoiding those bust RB's above I whiffed bad by being out on Henry in round 3/4.

Last season I had a team with a mid-late 1st and went 7 straight RB's Coleman, Breida, Drake, Penny, Freeman, Howard, Ballage I luckily held Drake and it always seemed that I would choose 1 or both starting RB's wrong but was able to finish 2nd. Sanders was on the board when I chose both Coleman and Breida also and I saved my FAAB all year and spent it all on Ty Johnson (who I thought would put me over the top). It's not for all, some couldn't stand having question marks at RB and depending on year Top 4 last year Top 5 this year unless you want MThomas.

I agree with @colepenhagenthat a hybrid 1 RB with a top 5 pick is very dangerous too and if you hit on RB2 late or fall into one during the season it could be lethal. The man who won the NFFC overall championship using zero RB way back when had multiple teams and on the teams he had high picks he had lots of Jamal Charles but late picks he went zero RB and it paid off. In terms of upside give me Adams and Julio or Adams and Kelce late over any 2 man combination of Sanders, Ekeler, Drake, Jacobs, CEH but I get the grab 2 RB like in the Florio article or Dalton Del Don likes to start with 4 straight RB's or 4 of the first 5 etc...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, turner46 said:

Agree, last year despite many rankings having Conner, Mixon, Bell and Damian Williams high for whatever reason being sample size or lack on talent on offense I was 100% out on them. Cook was my guy based on Kubiak and I posted a article here last year showing his history as a play caller for all positions, I believe I posted same article in Cousins thread but besides the point. This year after the top 5 Chubb is my guy based on adding Conklin at RT, a LT 10th overall and the new coach was under Kubiak last year, will it be the same on his own I doubt it, but one thing I'm sure on is Mike Shanahan, Gary Kubiak and Kyle Shanahan are RB whisperers and I've seen Stefanski say he can't wait to work with both Chubb and Hunt. I'm likely gonna miss out on Henry, Mixon, Sanders, Drake, Ekeler and Jacobs this fantasy season but I may be wrong on some if not all but with elite WR's or Kelce instead I'll be content. Despite me avoiding those bust RB's above I whiffed bad by being out on Henry in round 3/4.

Last season I had a team with a mid-late 1st and went 7 straight RB's Coleman, Breida, Drake, Penny, Freeman, Howard, Ballage I luckily held Drake and it always seemed that I would choose 1 or both starting RB's wrong but was able to finish 2nd. Sanders was on the board when I chose both Coleman and Breida also and I saved my FAAB all year and spent it all on Ty Johnson (who I thought would put me over the top). It's not for all, some couldn't stand having question marks at RB and depending on year Top 4 last year Top 5 this year unless you want MThomas.

I agree with @colepenhagenthat a hybrid 1 RB with a top 5 pick is very dangerous too and if you hit on RB2 late or fall into one during the season it could be lethal. The man who won the NFFC overall championship using zero RB way back when had multiple teams and on the teams he had high picks he had lots of Jamal Charles but late picks he went zero RB and it paid off. In terms of upside give me Adams and Julio or Adams and Kelce late over any 2 man combination of Sanders, Ekeler, Drake, Jacobs, CEH but I get the grab 2 RB like in the Florio article or Dalton Del Don likes to start with 4 straight RB's or 4 of the first 5 etc...

The guy (Siegele) who won the NFFC in 2013 touting zero-RB didn’t win with any of his zero RB lineups, bc Megatron (who he drafted in several teams) busted in the fantasy playoffs.

The team he had that actually won wasn't a zero-RB team — he drafted Jamal Charles early bc he’s a Chiefs fan and JC exploded in the FFL playoffs.

• Thanks 1

@isuckatdfshere's more reasons to look forward for when we do a league together or 2.

Drew pick 12 in a $25 NFFC Best Ball Slow live draft, Selected Kelce 12th and Kittle 13th (previous min pick was 16, won't change on their ADP until this draft is completed but setting new min picks, zigging while others zag or is it more the following gif, we shall see.

https://gfycat.com/acceptableopulentinexpectatumpleco

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, turner46 said:

@isuckatdfshere's more reasons to look forward for when we do a league together or 2.

Drew pick 12 in a $25 NFFC Best Ball Slow live draft, Selected Kelce 12th and Kittle 13th (previous min pick was 16, won't change on their ADP until this draft is completed but setting new min picks, zigging while others zag or is it more the following gif, we shall see.

https://gfycat.com/acceptableopulentinexpectatumpleco

My fav best ball start thus far though is...

Zeke

Kelce

Kittle

Lev Bell

Ridley

Parker

Chark

Cooks

JHoward

Jimmy GQ

James White

Teddy Bridgewater

Has me thinking of the old TJ Houshamanzadeh championship fantasy football commercial

Above gif was supposed to be Homer Simpson stupid like a fox

Edited by turner46

Just did a 12 man ppr

Thomas, Tyreek, Evans, Akers,Thielen, kuyler Murray, Hollywood brown, Hayden hurst, Duke Johnson.. first  picks with a few more ppr backs and a few cuffs.. 🙏 love it 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BuckeyeNutz said:

Just did a 12 man ppr

Thomas, Tyreek, Evans, Akers,Thielen, kuyler Murray, Hollywood brown, Hayden hurst, Duke Johnson.. first  picks with a few more ppr backs and a few cuffs.. 🙏 love it 

Thomas and Tyreek!  Then Evans and Thielan....BA team....  nice!  Love the PPR RB picks and Hurst too.

This team is scary,AND can put up huge numbers .

12 hours ago, BuckeyeNutz said:

Just did a 12 man ppr

I actually like this team but no way you get Theilen in the 5th and I kinda hate evans, but yeah this is MUCH better than the OP team. I like guys like hunt, cohen, boston scott, hines, to fill the gap. Thrown in a few lottery picks, not bad.

On 5/28/2020 at 10:05 AM, nmartinez12443 said:

I actually like this team but no way you get Theilen in the 5th and I kinda hate evans, but yeah this is MUCH better than the OP team. I like guys like hunt, cohen, boston scott, hines, to fill the gap. Thrown in a few lottery picks, not bad.

I did get Thielen in the 5th.. lol.  No lie   I took value there over rb haha 

On 5/28/2020 at 8:59 AM, Sivaro said:

Thomas and Tyreek!  Then Evans and Thielan....BA team....  nice!  Love the PPR RB picks and Hurst too.

This team is scary,AND can put up huge numbers .

Thanks! I couldn’t pass on Thielen @ 5.5... that’s crazy value. Could be top 5 in targets this year 

2 minutes ago, isuckatdfs said:

How many wr do you get to start per week on that team sivaro?

Standard 2 .    But there is always the flex spot.

So I start 3 WR and a 1 TE every week  as opposed to just 2 RB's.  It is full PPR.  SO I am using pass catching RB's for those 2 slots mostly.

Posted (edited)

Looking at the OP draft. Dak is not a guarantee week to week high scorer especially if he is handing the ball to Zeke. Then let's say that DK Metcalf and Slayton have off games and they aren't going to put up huge numbers each week anyway.Let's say Hill get's his each week. You also have George Kittle and let's say he gets his each week and the Ravens are definitely going to run the ball quite often leaving Andrews with games he don't get big time numbers as well. The RB's are also weak so you are looking at some L's during the the season with that lineup in my opinion. The Bills pick that early was like WUT??? I don't favor that WR first strategy and picking a RB so late. Sorry

Edited by Jess