Sivaro

WR First Strategy for 2020

On 5/29/2020 at 2:24 PM, Jess said:

Looking at the OP draft. Dak is not a guarantee week to week high scorer especially if he is handing the ball to Zeke. Then let's say that DK Metcalf and Slayton have off games and they aren't going to put up huge numbers each week anyway.Let's say Hill get's his each week. You also have George Kittle and let's say he gets his each week and the Ravens are definitely going to run the ball quite often leaving Andrews with games he don't get big time numbers as well. The RB's are also weak so you are looking at some L's during the the season with that lineup in my opinion. The Bills pick that early was like WUT??? I don't favor that WR first strategy and picking a RB so late. Sorry

I mean, the biggest problem with OPs draft isn't even the strategy it's the picks. Hill and Kittle are fine.

Andrews in round 3 is a bad pick. Andrews in round 3 when you already have a TE is a horrible pick. His ADP is near round 5 and I would say that is a round too high. Just an absolutely baffling pick. 

Prescott in round 4 is an awful pick. He also carries a 6th round ADP and his last season is likely closer to an anomaly than anything else. 

A defense in the 8th round is just absurd. 

So when you take that into account with using a strategy that needs to lineup perfect it's just impossible to have a great team. Instead of Andrews the pick should have been like Odell, Evans, Golladay or something like that. Instead of Dak it should have been like Allen, Hilton, or Kupp and instead of the Bills it should have been another RB or maybe a QB there. You're going no RB and your WR2 is DK and WR3 is Slayton? That's tough.

• Like 3

Gave this idea a shot using the FantasyPros draft simulator.  Using the OPs rules, first pick was a WR, and then the next 4 were non-RB.  I drafted against the "ADP Consensus" so don't argue about "Player X def won't be there" or whatever.  It's June.  I drafted a 12 team league, from the 6th spot.  Here's my final roster.

QB - Carson Wentz, PHI

RB - Mark Ingram, BAL

RB - Cam Akers, LAR

WR - Davante Adams, GB

WR - Allen Robinson, CHI

TE - Travis Kelce, KC

FLEX - Robert Woods, LAR

DST - KC Chiefs

K - Matt Gay, TB

BN - DJ Chark, WR, JAX

BN - Kareem Hunt, RB, CLE

BN - JK Dobbins, RB, BAL

BN - Tevin Coleman, RB, SF

BN - Justin Jackon, RB, LAC

BN - Ryquell Armstead, RB, JAX

BN - Chase Edmonds, RB, ARI

My first 5 picks were: Adams, Kelce, Robinson, Woods, Chark in that order.  Then I started dipping into RBs - Ingram, Akers, Hunt, Dobbins were the next lot of picks.  I REFUSE to draft a QB early, no matter the strategy, so I waited and snagged Carson Wentz in the later rounds, and then added some "lotto" type RBs to my bench in Coleman, Jackson, Armstead and Edmonds.  DST and K were my last two picks.  Again, regardless of strategy, taking a defense high is never a good idea.  

You can make the argument RBs like Cam Akers and Mark Ingram might end up going higher than they did here, but even if I had to use someone like Tevin Coleman, Kareem Hunt, Derruis Guice, Tarik Cohen, etc. as my starters, I don't think I would mind too much in PPR.  

There are A LOT of uncertain backfields, or RBBCs out there, so if a player wanted to go zero-RB, WR-heavy, whatever you want to call it, I think there's definitely a solution here that can provide a pretty decent team.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fort4242 said:

Gave this idea a shot using the FantasyPros draft simulator.  Using the OPs rules, first pick was a WR, and then the next 4 were non-RB.  I drafted against the "ADP Consensus" so don't argue about "Player X def won't be there" or whatever.  It's June.  I drafted a 12 team league, from the 6th spot.  Here's my final roster.

QB - Carson Wentz, PHI

RB - Mark Ingram, BAL

RB - Cam Akers, LAR

WR - Davante Adams, GB

WR - Allen Robinson, CHI

TE - Travis Kelce, KC

FLEX - Robert Woods, LAR

DST - KC Chiefs

K - Matt Gay, TB

BN - DJ Chark, WR, JAX

BN - JK Dobbins, RB, BAL

My first 5 picks were: Adams, Kelce, Robinson, Woods, Chark in that order.  Then I started dipping into RBs - Ingram, Akers, Hunt, Dobbins were the next lot of picks.  I REFUSE to draft a QB early, no matter the strategy, so I waited and snagged Carson Wentz in the later rounds, and then added some "lotto" type RBs to my bench in Coleman, Jackson, Armstead and Edmonds.  DST and K were my last two picks.  Again, regardless of strategy, taking a defense high is never a good idea.  

You can make the argument RBs like Cam Akers and Mark Ingram might end up going higher than they did here, but even if I had to use someone like Tevin Coleman, Kareem Hunt, Derruis Guice, Tarik Cohen, etc. as my starters, I don't think I would mind too much in PPR.  

There are A LOT of uncertain backfields, or RBBCs out there, so if a player wanted to go zero-RB, WR-heavy, whatever you want to call it, I think there's definitely a solution here that can provide a pretty decent team.  

No way you get Robinson, Coleman, and Gay from the 6. 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, K197040 said:

No way you get Robinson, Coleman, and Gay from the 6. 

Que Paso?

Ah Nevermind - I sense the sarcasm went right over my head.

Edited by Fort4242

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fort4242 said:

QB - Carson Wentz, PHI

RB - Mark Ingram, BAL

RB - Cam Akers, LAR

WR - Davante Adams, GB

WR - Allen Robinson, CHI

TE - Travis Kelce, KC

FLEX - Robert Woods, LAR

DST - KC Chiefs

K - Matt Gay, TB

BN - DJ Chark, WR, JAX

BN - JK Dobbins, RB, BAL

This is a solid team, and you used the strategy very well.    The WR first strategy is workable especially since most leagues are full PPR, giving those pass catching backs points every week , even if they are not a true NO 1.

That said, I have seen much worse teams who are not using any strategy at all.   I can tell you,  that if any 1 of your RB gambles pays off, this team will get to the playoffs and potentially win it all.

I like.

Edited by Sivaro
  • Like 1

Honestly any strategy is viable , just gotta pick the right players . You can bust going Zero-RB  or Zero-WR . But whichever path you prefer , I still think it's smart waiting on QB, maybe TE; and most certainly on K & DST. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sivaro said:

This is a solid team, and you used the strategy very well.    The WR first strategy is workable especially since most leagues are full PPR, giving those pass catching backs points every week , even if they are not a true NO 1.

That said, I have seen much worse teams who are not using any strategy at all.   I can tell you,  that if any 1 of your RB gambles pays off, this team will get to the playoffs and potentially win it all.

I like.

And if a key wr injury occurs does it have stability. First goal is to make the offs. Love soaking up rbs early and not scrambling for them in season. Usually you can snag a TE or wr bust out. Much hard to snag a rb bust out. 

3 hours ago, RunCMC said:

Honestly any strategy is viable , just gotta pick the right players . You can bust going Zero-RB  or Zero-WR . But whichever path you prefer , I still think it's smart waiting on QB, maybe TE; and most certainly on K & DST. 

I disagree.

Sure, you can technically win your league using various strategies but certain ones require you to draft a lot better, allow less mistakes, and are going to have a lower probability.

Any strategy where you avoid a certain position for whatever reason is a bad strategy. It’s just putting restrictions on yourself for no reason. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

I disagree.

Sure, you can technically win your league using various strategies but certain ones require you to draft a lot better, allow less mistakes, and are going to have a lower probability.

Any strategy where you avoid a certain position for whatever reason is a bad strategy. It’s just putting restrictions on yourself for no reason. 

You’re contradicting yourself. What part of my post did you not understand. Please re-read , slowly this time. 

3 hours ago, RunCMC said:

Not a set of players, but the right players ... not sure how I could be more clear. 

Edited by RunCMC

1 hour ago, RunCMC said:

You’re contradicting yourself. What part of my post did you not understand. Please re-read , slowly this time. 

Not a set of players, but the right players ... not sure how I could be more clear. 

Ok let me reword my post since you’re the one not understanding:

Not any strategy is viable.

There. 

12 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Ok let me reword my post since you’re the one not understanding:

Not any strategy is viable.

There. 

It most definitely is , if you draft the right players. Theres nothing to contradict there , that’s what so puzzling to me. I think you’re the one who’s not understanding. But moving on now .. at this point I don’t care for your opinion on the subject. 

6 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

It most definitely is , if you draft the right players. Theres nothing to contradict there , that’s what so puzzling to me. I think you’re the one who’s not understanding. But moving on now .. at this point I don’t care for your opinion on the subject. 

Playing the lottery is a good way to get rich IF you buy the right tickets.

The contradiction is in the logic of the post. I already addressed this in my first post but instead you decided to act like I didn’t understand what you said. I understood perfectly the first time. You claimed that any strategy is viable as long as you draft perfectly. I explained that’s not how reality works and you chose to ignore it.

In reality every player you pick carries a risk. Picking the “right” players is impossible. You’d be lucky to pick the right player 1-2 times in the entire draft. So the best you can do is maximize your potential and minimize your risk. Going no RB first 5 rounds maximizes your risk and minimizes your ceiling. Yes, you can win with it if you draft the right players but this isn’t la-la land. 

40 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Playing the lottery is a good way to get rich IF you buy the right tickets.

The contradiction is in the logic of the post. I already addressed this in my first post but instead you decided to act like I didn’t understand what you said. I understood perfectly the first time. You claimed that any strategy is viable as long as you draft perfectly. I explained that’s not how reality works and you chose to ignore it.

In reality every player you pick carries a risk. Picking the “right” players is impossible. You’d be lucky to pick the right player 1-2 times in the entire draft. So the best you can do is maximize your potential and minimize your risk. Going no RB first 5 rounds maximizes your risk and minimizes your ceiling. Yes, you can win with it if you draft the right players but this isn’t la-la land. 

Give it a rest brodie , obviously not going RB first 5 rounds is risky. No one implied that . ... Your just mentioning it for the simple fact to push your narrative. No shiete every player carries risk , just risk to injury is universal to all, some more than others. Your point is what exactly ? And, the same thing you accuse me of , you blatantly project upon yourself. Ohh btw funny you mention that, because it sorta is la-la land for me.  I live in L.A  , so technically ....

1 hour ago, RunCMC said:

Give it a rest brodie , obviously not going RB first 5 rounds is risky. No one implied that . ... Your just mentioning it for the simple fact to push your narrative. No shiete every player carries risk , just risk to injury is universal to all, some more than others. Your point is what exactly ? And, the same thing you accuse me of , you blatantly project upon yourself. Ohh btw funny you mention that, because it sorta is la-la land for me.  I live in L.A  , so technically ....

This is hard for me to read. God damn rephrase this for the rest of us. 

8 minutes ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

A good majority of my posts are typed off my iPhone, just a bit of venting is all. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

Serious+catfight_eeb2a7_5114447.gif

I've been thinking on this the past week or two during mocks.  I do maybe 10 a week on the FFC app just for giggles.  In 12 team PPR, the WR depth that I pretty much always hit on in rounds 4-7 makes it nearly impossible to justify going WR even in the first two rounds.  Rounds 4-5 often have Moore, Metcalf, Lockett, Ridley, Woods, Samuel, Sutton, Chark, and maybe even a few others i like.  I see Landry available in the early 7th more often than not, and Parker is usually there in the 6th too.   Meanwhile the RB's in those same rounds are all questionable for me personally.

• Like 2