7 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

Let's get this thread moving again.  Here are my top 25 (PPR or half PPR) running backs for rest of season (Week 6 onward):

1.  Kamara.  What can you say?  The guy is being used like a mule with 38 catches in five games to go with 61 carries.  This offense will always be plus and Kamara is the engine.  It's hard to imagine him not ending up as the overall #1 RB if he stays healthy, even without an inordinate number of touchdowns.

2.  Henry.  Volume is king and nobody bellies up to the bar like Henry.  Of the healthy players he's the only RB whose offense is completely built around him (eh, maybe Mixon).  Don't be fooled by the low yards per carry.  It'll spike, and when you are getting 25 carries a game it doesn't take much to run up a ton of yards and TDs.  

3.  Elliott.  A week ago I'd have had him above Henry but the Dak injury is concerning.  Until I get to see a couple games with Dalton at the helm I'd put him here but unless you're actually considering a Henry-for-Elliott swap the difference between 2 and 3 is nil anyway.

TIER BREAK

4.  McCaffrey.  You're playing with fire with these long-term injury type guys but nobody other than Kamara this season appears to have the reliability plus the league-winning upside if he's on the field than McCaffrey.  

5.  Jones.  Color me a bit skeptical about Jones being a top tier fantasy RB.  He's never felt like that bellcow type guy to me but if he's going to keep getting carries in the mid-teens plus a fair amount of passing game work on a dynamite offense he's going to be incredibly valuable.  And his workload isn't being eaten into in the meaningful way that you might have suspected this summer.

6.  Cook.  Is this going to be his first injury of the year or his only injury of the year?  Obviously an alpha on a team that needs to feature him heavily.  And he's game-flow proof.  

TIER BREAK

7.  Jacobs.  Huge volume on a team that wants to establish the run.  This offense is something good too, and only has room to improve as the young WRs gain reps.  Don't buy the coachspeak about Booker - this guy has no meaningful competition for snaps as the talent gulf is huge.

8.  Mixon.  Big volume on a lousy team.  Game-flow concerns.  Still, can you doubt the volume or the talent?

9.  Carson.  Carson has more upside than maybe anyone else in this tier but there's room for concern.  He's already dealing with an injury and the return of Penny gives me some concern he might get his workload eaten into.  Still, he's a locked and loaded RB1.

10.  Taylor.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if Taylor is #3 or so on this list in a month.  Don't forget what kind of talent profile this guy had coming out of college.  He hasn't flashed it yet but he's getting every opportunity to explode and it wouldn't surprise at all to see him pop one of those "16 carries for 210 yards" games anchored by two long TD runs.  

TIER BREAK - Here come the question marks

11.  Sanders.  Let's face it, this team has been a huge disappointment, and I still haven't seen enough of this guy to be sure he's a special talent.  Where's the five catches a game we were teased with?

12.  Hunt.  An exceptional player who now has the job to himself, "priority add" D'ernest Johnson notwithstanding.  I'm probably too low on him but can you count on him in the playoffs with Chubb coming back?

13.  Mostert.  He's a total game breaker and SF needs to commit to the run.  Having McKinnon nipping at his heels doesn't help, nor does Jimmy G.'s possible implosion, already in progress.

14.  Gurley.  It gets ugly in this tier.  But Gurley gets plenty of work in a good offense, he has shown enough receiving skills in the past that he could catch some more passes, and he's actually playing okay.  

15.  Conner.  Good offense which is known for cranking out fantasy points for RBs.  There was a lot of drama earlier this season and it feels like Snell or McFarland could pop up and essentially do the same job, which gives him a tenuous grasp on the lead role.

16.  Montgomery.  Look at the depth chart behind this guy.  This is a team that is going to be committed to the run and now will use Montgomery more in the passing game with Cohen laid up.  Talent is questionable to be sure but the Bears are going to be in most games and using him as a lead back.  The guy was on the field 85% and 81% of snaps the last two games.  Those are "alpha dog" numbers.  And yes, if you're looking for volume at an undervalued price right now, go seek out the Montgomery owner.

17.  Drake.  Everyone's bagged on Drake, myself included, but 17 carries per game for an offense of this caliber?  Given the past talent he's flashed I wonder if he hasn't just been a bit unlucky.  If he has a blow up game he's shooting up the charts again.  

18.  Robinson.  I'm often too harsh on these UDFA JAG type guys but it's awfully hard to believe he can keep up the kind of season he's having.  

19.  Gaskin.  In the last three games, since he's settled in as the true lead back, he's getting 16 carries and 4.3 catches per game.  The offense is better than expected.  The guy has a good floor.

20.  CEH.  As I've discussed in his thread.

21.  David Johnson.  I have no idea what Houston is going to be doing under the new regime and I still suspect Johnson is washed.  He has looked serviceable this season though.

22.  Chubb.  Injured players are hard to rank.  If healthy I'd put him at 9 or so.  If Hunt got injured he'd be like 5th.  He's been great.

23.  Gibson.  Why would an NFL team draft a WR to play RB and then use someone else as the pass catching back?  Who knows.  Gibson has a lot of ceiling if they decide to turn him loose.  It hasn't happened yet.

24.  RoJo.  Fournette is such a flake that I have a feeling Arians is going to have to give this guy the volume whether he likes it or not.  And he's not bad as a runner, not bad at all.

25.  MG3.  Huge question mark here with the potential suspension coming, and his numbers are inflated a bit by Lindsay having been out for a while.  But the volume is going to be there and Gordon can still play.

Some bonus names to watch in case they have been or get dropped by frustrated owners or during the byes.  (To do this list I looked up a consensus list of players outside the ROS top 40.)

Swift.  Rookies often work their way into the job in the second half of a season.  If Detroit comes to its senses and decides to throw in the towel on the immortal AD, look out.

Akers (Henderson too if for some reason he hits the wire).  Big draft capital and this guy will probably improve fast.  

Pollard.  Zeke is indestructible and the offense is weaker now without Dak but if this guy ever got his shot the sky would be the limit IMO.

Snell/McFarland.  The Pittsburgh job is valuable and it wouldn't stun me if either of them had it, and soon.

Not bad, my personal opinion would be Mixon a tier lower, hes a decent volume type floor guy in my opinion. Might have some big weeks but i see an average week being like 8-13 points with a few big weeks that keep him as a back end rb1. Lets face it though mixons had 1 good game out of 5. I think sanders is a bit low, offense should be slightly better with their weapons back and i think they utilize him more as they see he can handle the workload. Id have him over mixon and at this point taylor. Hunt might be a bit low, i think in such a run heavy offense and with his passing work he can squeak in as an rb1.  Gurley is a bit high, hard to trust him, hes scoring TDs but will that be sustainable... hard to say. Id much prefer conner and james robinson who i think is also too low. Id probably have him around the 14/15 spot just behind conner but way ahead of drake whos shown absolutely nothing and may lose his job. Robinson has a team who completely trusts him and has shown he can get involved through the air or on the ground. Might be some sub par games because its the jaguars but weve already seen he has a high ceiling and a solid volume floor

I feel like Henry at 2 is a stretch in any ppr format. He’s so reliant on TDs. But I’m not going to argue too much because he might take multiple defenders souls on any given run. RIP Josh Norman. It does seem like there’s a good chance he scores most weeks, too. 

Same thing with Jacobs and Taylor. These guys who are at or below 4 YPC and don’t catch passes just aren’t my cup of tea. You’ve seen it with Jacobs multiple times. It took the Raiders scoring 40 points for him to have a day that you were happy with. Taylor is so frustrating right now. I’ve started valuing him as an RB2, but every week he gets treated like a top 5 option by analysts. Hope he starts performing like one.

I feel like Chris Carson is so underrated.  You can’t put him much higher than where you have him, but he does everything and he’s on a top 5 offense. Consistently an RB1 week in and week out, and now with the bye maybe we can worry less about that injury. 

You put some respect on Raheem Mostert and I like that. Guy is so explosive and has been catching passes.

If RoJo can keep his job, he could be a huge climber on this list. He’s looked good. I wonder how we would be talking about him if the refs hadn’t stolen that TD from him last week?

• Like 1

I would swap out Gaskin and Montgomery. Might even have Montgomery lower than 19th. I would probably have him  25th.

Edited by cdd10
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, cdd10 said:

I would swap out Gaskin and Montgomery. Might even have Montgomery lower than 19th. I would probably have him  25th.

I don't get why Montgomery gets so much hate.  

Montgomery is currently the 24th ranked RB in .5 PPR when looking at average fantasy points per game.  This includes Montgomery playing the first 3 games in a timeshare with Tarik Cohen, and losing most of the receiving work to Cohen. 

In the two games since Cohen went down (for the season), Montgomery has 14 targets.  7 targets per game.  That's huge in PPR.  Montgomery averaged 3 targets per game prior to Cohen's injury.

In those two games, Montgomery averaged 12.3 Fantasy Points in .5 PPR.  While that might not be sexy, keep in mind those two matchups were also against arguably the two best run & overall defenses in football: Tampa Bay & Indianapolis (8th & 3rd in terms of fewest fantasy points allowed to RBs, respectively).   

--

In sum, Montgomery has (1) averaged 7 targets per game since Cohen went down; (2) with Cohen injured, he is no longer in a timeshare and played 80%+ of snaps; (3) Montgomery put up a respectable 12.3 Fantasy points per game, since Cohen went down, against two of the NFL's best defenses; and (4) Montgomery has an amazing fantasy schedule going forward.  

Regarding the last point (4), FantasyPros has the Bears as the second easiest schedule for fantasy RBs going forward.  This includes a cakewalk playoff schedule of Houston, Minnesota, and Jacksonville.  

By ranking Montgomery as the 25th RB ROS (currently ranked 24th in .5 PPR), you're basically valuing him as if Cohen was still in the mix.  Given Cohen is done for the year, Montgomery has seen a significant uptick in his receiving work, and that Montgomery's schedule gets much easier, I think we need to bump him up in the rankings.  

I like Kenny's valuation of Monty at 16.  I'd say there's upside to push him closer to 12.  However, Nagy and a weak O-line will likely serve as caps to his potential beyond that.  

1.  Kamara

2.  McCaffrey  

3.  Henry  .  

4.  Elliott

5.  Jones

6.  Cook. 

7.  Jacobs

8.  Mostert  

9. Carson  

10. Sanders

11. Hunt    

12.  Mixon

13.  Robinson  

14.  Gurley

15.  Conner

16.  CEH

17.  Taylor  

18.  Drake

19.  Montgomery

20. Gaskin 

21.  David Johnson

22.  Chubb

23. MG3 

24. Gibson  

25. RoJo

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Olywa said:

1.  Kamara

2.  McCaffrey  

3.  Henry  .  

4.  Elliott

5.  Jones

6.  Cook. 

7.  Jacobs

8.  Mostert  

9. Carson  

10. Sanders

11. Hunt    

12.  Mixon

13.  Robinson  

14.  Gurley

15.  Conner

16.  CEH

17.  Taylor  

18.  Drake

19.  Montgomery

20. Gaskin 

21.  David Johnson

22.  Chubb

23. MG3 

24. Gibson  

25. RoJo

Do you not know that Bell is on the Chiefs? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Silent-Trader said:

If you have injured players on the list, I don't understand how Ekeler is not there, especially in PPr.

I have a lot more confidence that McCaffrey and Chubb will be coming back - and coming back to their previous role - than I do with Ekeler.

Edited by KennyWoo
Typo
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

I have a lot more confidence that McCaffrey and Chubb will be coming back - and coming back to their previous role - than I do with Ekeler.

Maybe, but I find it interesting that Cleveland and Carolina's backfield has been able to produce without missing a beat, but can't say the same for the Chargers. That's not me saying that Davis is CMC or Hunt is Chubb, but if Ekeler comes back, I think he will get his previous role back with little competition. 

27 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Do you not know that Bell is on the Chiefs? 

So you think that a 28 year old RB with close to 2,000 career touches is going to move CEH out of the top 16 RB's? This isn't the early 2000s where you have 20 + options at RB.

Edited by Olywa

If anything, losing Ekeler shows you how important he is to this offense - Kelley/JJ are not the answer.  Easily a top 12 RB in fantasy in PPR formats as long as he is healthy.  His role is secure and he is head and shoulders better than anything they have currently at the position.  Dude is pretty underrated.

13 minutes ago, Olywa said:

So you think that a 28 year old RB with close to 2,000 career touches is going to move CEH out of the top 16 RB's? This isn't the early 2000s where you have 20 + options at RB.

Myes.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Myes.

Okay, who do you rank above him and why?

1 hour ago, fantasyscholar said:

Kamara, Elliott, Cook, and CMC are the tier 1 to me

Jones has to be included in the top tier. 500 yds and 6 TDs in 4 games

6 hours ago, KennyWoo said:

Let's get this thread moving again.  Here are my top 25 (PPR or half PPR) running backs for rest of season (Week 6 onward):

1.  Kamara.  What can you say?  The guy is being used like a mule with 38 catches in five games to go with 61 carries.  This offense will always be plus and Kamara is the engine.  It's hard to imagine him not ending up as the overall #1 RB if he stays healthy, even without an inordinate number of touchdowns.

2.  Henry.  Volume is king and nobody bellies up to the bar like Henry.  Of the healthy players he's the only RB whose offense is completely built around him (eh, maybe Mixon).  Don't be fooled by the low yards per carry.  It'll spike, and when you are getting 25 carries a game it doesn't take much to run up a ton of yards and TDs.  

3.  Elliott.  A week ago I'd have had him above Henry but the Dak injury is concerning.  Until I get to see a couple games with Dalton at the helm I'd put him here but unless you're actually considering a Henry-for-Elliott swap the difference between 2 and 3 is nil anyway.

TIER BREAK

4.  McCaffrey.  You're playing with fire with these long-term injury type guys but nobody other than Kamara this season appears to have the reliability plus the league-winning upside if he's on the field than McCaffrey.  

5.  Jones.  Color me a bit skeptical about Jones being a top tier fantasy RB.  He's never felt like that bellcow type guy to me but if he's going to keep getting carries in the mid-teens plus a fair amount of passing game work on a dynamite offense he's going to be incredibly valuable.  And his workload isn't being eaten into in the meaningful way that you might have suspected this summer.

6.  Cook.  Is this going to be his first injury of the year or his only injury of the year?  Obviously an alpha on a team that needs to feature him heavily.  And he's game-flow proof.  

TIER BREAK

7.  Jacobs.  Huge volume on a team that wants to establish the run.  This offense is something good too, and only has room to improve as the young WRs gain reps.  Don't buy the coachspeak about Booker - this guy has no meaningful competition for snaps as the talent gulf is huge.

8.  Mixon.  Big volume on a lousy team.  Game-flow concerns.  Still, can you doubt the volume or the talent?

9.  Carson.  Carson has more upside than maybe anyone else in this tier but there's room for concern.  He's already dealing with an injury and the return of Penny gives me some concern he might get his workload eaten into.  Still, he's a locked and loaded RB1.

10.  Taylor.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if Taylor is #3 or so on this list in a month.  Don't forget what kind of talent profile this guy had coming out of college.  He hasn't flashed it yet but he's getting every opportunity to explode and it wouldn't surprise at all to see him pop one of those "16 carries for 210 yards" games anchored by two long TD runs.  

11.  Sanders.  Let's face it, this team has been a huge disappointment, and I still haven't seen enough of this guy to be sure he's a special talent.  Where's the five catches a game we were teased with?

12.  Hunt.  An exceptional player who now has the job to himself, "priority add" D'ernest Johnson notwithstanding.  I'm probably too low on him but can you count on him in the playoffs with Chubb coming back?

13.  Mostert.  He's a total game breaker and SF needs to commit to the run.  Having McKinnon nipping at his heels doesn't help, nor does Jimmy G.'s possible implosion, already in progress.

14.  Gurley.  It gets ugly in this tier.  But Gurley gets plenty of work in a good offense, he has shown enough receiving skills in the past that he could catch some more passes, and he's actually playing okay.  

15.  Conner.  Good offense which is known for cranking out fantasy points for RBs.  There was a lot of drama earlier this season and it feels like Snell or McFarland could pop up and essentially do the same job, which gives him a tenuous grasp on the lead role.

16.  Montgomery.  Look at the depth chart behind this guy.  This is a team that is going to be committed to the run and now will use Montgomery more in the passing game with Cohen laid up.  Talent is questionable to be sure but the Bears are going to be in most games and using him as a lead back.  The guy was on the field 85% and 81% of snaps the last two games.  Those are "alpha dog" numbers.  And yes, if you're looking for volume at an undervalued price right now, go seek out the Montgomery owner.

17.  Drake.  Everyone's bagged on Drake, myself included, but 17 carries per game for an offense of this caliber?  Given the past talent he's flashed I wonder if he hasn't just been a bit unlucky.  If he has a blow up game he's shooting up the charts again.  

18.  Robinson.  I'm often too harsh on these UDFA JAG type guys but it's awfully hard to believe he can keep up the kind of season he's having.  

19.  Gaskin.  In the last three games, since he's settled in as the true lead back, he's getting 16 carries and 4.3 catches per game.  The offense is better than expected.  The guy has a good floor.

21.  David Johnson.  I have no idea what Houston is going to be doing under the new regime and I still suspect Johnson is washed.  He has looked serviceable this season though.

22.  Chubb.  Injured players are hard to rank.  If healthy I'd put him at 9 or so.  If Hunt got injured he'd be like 5th.  He's been great.

23.  Gibson.  Why would an NFL team draft a WR to play RB and then use someone else as the pass catching back?  Who knows.  Gibson has a lot of ceiling if they decide to turn him loose.  It hasn't happened yet.

24.  RoJo.  Fournette is such a flake that I have a feeling Arians is going to have to give this guy the volume whether he likes it or not.  And he's not bad as a runner, not bad at all.

25.  MG3.  Huge question mark here with the potential suspension coming, and his numbers are inflated a bit by Lindsay having been out for a while.  But the volume is going to be there and Gordon can still play.

Some bonus names to watch in case they have been or get dropped by frustrated owners or during the byes.  (To do this list I looked up a consensus list of players outside the ROS top 40.)

Swift.  Rookies often work their way into the job in the second half of a season.  If Detroit comes to its senses and decides to throw in the towel on the immortal AD, look out.

Akers (Henderson too if for some reason he hits the wire).  Big draft capital and this guy will probably improve fast.  

Pollard.  Zeke is indestructible and the offense is weaker now without Dak but if this guy ever got his shot the sky would be the limit IMO.

Snell/McFarland.  The Pittsburgh job is valuable and it wouldn't stun me if either of them had it, and soon.

No Chase Edmonds 🤔

Otherwise, I dig the list.

7 hours ago, KennyWoo said:

TIER BREAK

TIER BREAK

I think the guys you have ranked 7-15 are all very similar (although I would take gurley out).  

I don’t see a tier break between taylor and sanders and I honestly think you could make a case for any of them to be anywhere in this range (7-14).  In other words, if you wanted to put conner at 7 and jacobs at 14 I don't think its crazy.  Or sanders at the top and mixon at the bottom etc

Edit to say its a great list and writeup.

Edited by cgu112

I’m new to NFL fantasy and don’t follow the game heaps (I’m from Australia). Why is Henry ranked so highly when he is scoring 2 TDs and still only getting 19 points?

47 minutes ago, cgu112 said:

I think the guys you have ranked 7-15 are all very similar (although I would take gurley out).  

I don’t see a tier break between taylor and sanders and I honestly think you could make a case for any of them to be anywhere in this range (7-14).  In other words, if you wanted to put conner at 7 and jacobs at 14 I don't think its crazy.  Or sanders at the top and mixon at the bottom etc

Edit to say its a great list and writeup.

This is my thoughts as well.

41 minutes ago, FalconSloth said:

I’m new to NFL fantasy and don’t follow the game heaps (I’m from Australia). Why is Henry ranked so highly when he is scoring 2 TDs and still only getting 19 points?

Check out his back half of season game stats last year.

1 hour ago, FalconSloth said:

because he's extremely talented and has a true workhorse role in a solid offense. 

15 hours ago, Rainyy said:

I don't get why Montgomery gets so much hate.  

Montgomery is currently the 24th ranked RB in .5 PPR when looking at average fantasy points per game.  This includes Montgomery playing the first 3 games in a timeshare with Tarik Cohen, and losing most of the receiving work to Cohen. 

In the two games since Cohen went down (for the season), Montgomery has 14 targets.  7 targets per game.  That's huge in PPR.  Montgomery averaged 3 targets per game prior to Cohen's injury.

In those two games, Montgomery averaged 12.3 Fantasy Points in .5 PPR.  While that might not be sexy, keep in mind those two matchups were also against arguably the two best run & overall defenses in football: Tampa Bay & Indianapolis (8th & 3rd in terms of fewest fantasy points allowed to RBs, respectively).   

--

In sum, Montgomery has (1) averaged 7 targets per game since Cohen went down; (2) with Cohen injured, he is no longer in a timeshare and played 80%+ of snaps; (3) Montgomery put up a respectable 12.3 Fantasy points per game, since Cohen went down, against two of the NFL's best defenses; and (4) Montgomery has an amazing fantasy schedule going forward.  

Regarding the last point (4), FantasyPros has the Bears as the second easiest schedule for fantasy RBs going forward.  This includes a cakewalk playoff schedule of Houston, Minnesota, and Jacksonville.  

By ranking Montgomery as the 25th RB ROS (currently ranked 24th in .5 PPR), you're basically valuing him as if Cohen was still in the mix.  Given Cohen is done for the year, Montgomery has seen a significant uptick in his receiving work, and that Montgomery's schedule gets much easier, I think we need to bump him up in the rankings.  

I like Kenny's valuation of Monty at 16.  I'd say there's upside to push him closer to 12.  However, Nagy and a weak O-line will likely serve as caps to his potential beyond that.  

I think he gets so much hate because he is not that good.

18 hours ago, FalconSloth said:

G'day and welcome. 

Fantasy is about forecasting. Henry is a beast who gets huge volume. Today that turned into like a billion points.