Boudewijn

Allen Robinson 2020 Outlook

8 minutes ago, atrium said:

Only guys talent-wise I'd have over him, without question, are Hopkins and a healthy Julio. The rest are debatable

If we are talking talent/skill alone, I might put Mclaurin up ahead of him. He has obviously been held back by poor qb play. 

I think Robinson is definitely in the top 10 wr discussion though. 

The frustrating thing here is the # of targets he had thrown his way vs the production he had with that high of a volume level. The skill and opportunity is there, just needs to be paired with a better QB/team...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jkendrick2 said:

If we are talking talent/skill alone, I might put Mclaurin up ahead of him. He has obviously been held back by poor qb play.

I wouldn't. Definitely a top 10 talent though.

Dude has a hell of connection with Nick. I like to get 10/90 against the semi-rough Bucs defense.

Air yard share of 40.5%, looks great.

Tough schedule ahead: CAR, LA, NO

But ARob wants to get paid and in case you are playing PPR, he‘s gold. Floor is really high.

3 minutes ago, Mr_Baller said:

Dude has a hell of connection with Nick. I like to get 10/90 against the semi-rough Bucs defense.

Air yard share of 40.5%, looks great.

Tough schedule ahead: CAR, LA, NO

But ARob wants to get paid and in case you are playing PPR, he‘s gold. Floor is really high.

CAR has given up some yards to Keenan Allen and Mike Evans. 

I think all those matchups are easier than the matchup he had this week. 

If something like 10/90 is his floor... sit back and enjoy the ride.

@rasrar We wish. Nobody's floor is 10/90. He already had a 3/33 in week 2 (on 9 targets..oof..thanks, Mitch). but I think with Foles in and him being the clear and away best receiver on the team, 6/60 isn't unrealistic. And that's incredible.

• Like 2

Great night!  Opponent had Brady so bonus there. 

TD would have been the icing, or one more catch for 10 yards (100 yd bonus), but I am relieved things have started to click for him.  Can’t believe he had 16 targets, that’s massive.  Thought it was closer to 12.  All hail Foles!   Set and forget WR1 (w Golladay) for me. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, aapox said:

@rasrar We wish. Nobody's floor is 10/90. He already had a 3/33 in week 2 (on 9 targets..oof..thanks, Mitch). but I think with Foles in and him being the clear and away best receiver on the team, 6/60 isn't unrealistic. And that's incredible.

Yeah, I was going to say something similar. His floor is probably close to what he did last week (something like his week 2 performance) before one magical garbage time drive.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, JAG_challam said:

Will someone please tell CHI to pay this man already???

Oh yeah, and get him a goddamn QB ffs.

People trashing Foles and that's crazy to me. 

If your objective is Allen Robison playing great Foles IS the guy you want as ARobs QB. 

Not sure why people don't get that. 

Foles recognizes man on man coverage and always throws 50/50 balls to receivers he trusts. He's got balls and doesn't care. 

It's Robinsons fault he bounced a 50/50 ball into the defenders arms not Foles. 

Foles threw him 16 balls. That's what foles does to his favorite targets. This is fantasy gold. 

If you want the Bears to win more games maybe you want a QB like Lamar Jackson, but that happens and arob becomes a WR3 at best in PPR 12 man. That means probably the 25th - 36th best. 

Foles is good for arob. All this "get a new QB" gotta go. 

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

If your objective is Allen Robison playing great Foles IS the guy you want as ARobs QB. 

Foles recognizes man on man coverage and always throws 50/50 balls to receivers he trusts. He's got balls and doesn't care. 

Foles threw him 16 balls. That's what foles does to his favorite targets. This is fantasy gold. 

If you want the Bears to win more games maybe you want a QB like Lamar Jackson, but that happens and arob becomes a WR3 at best in PPR 12 man. That means probably the 25th - 36th best. 

THREE of the Bears QB interceptions this year are all on Robinson. On contested catches he gets bullied out and results in a INT. You all saw one with the Davis coverage. This dude wants to get paid like an elite receiver, but this is one area he HAS to improve before seasons end. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Disagree. Any good QB will throw into a contested catch if the WR talent is there along with the trust. And it's not really like CHI has a ton of other good options all over the field. A better QB will make better throws - pretty simple. I'd wager that with better accuracy, ARob's game would elevate, even if it came at the cost of a few less targets.

And on that catch you refer to, the coverage was too tight, the throw never should have been made. If you go back and watch that play, ARob wasn't able to make separation at the line, and so the corner was on top of him the entire route. It looked like the play was supposed to be in front of ARob. Either Foles didn't get the ball where it was supposed to be, or else he saw the coverage and intentionally underthrew ARob (because a throw in front looked like a clear INT waiting to happen). By the time ARob turned around, the ball was coming. He had to try and stop, turn his body, untangle from the corner, and make the catch. It bounced off his knee. Yes - it was a catchable ball, but not an easy catch by any means. Making that catch would been a highlight reel play in my opinion. So the play went bad in fault to ARob for failing to get separation and make the route - but then went full on INT bad because Foles forced the throw.

3 minutes ago, Brettg57 said:

THREE of the Bears QB interceptions this year are all on Robinson. On contested catches he gets bullied out and results in a INT. You all saw one with the Davis coverage. This dude wants to get paid like an elite receiver, but this is one area he HAS to improve before seasons end. 

I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but throughout his career ARob has an elite-level contested catch rate. And that's with terrible-to-middling QB play.
Garbage time; Foles loves his ARob; all that talk aside - there is no way ARob isn't in the conversation for top 5 at his position if he's got a competant QB at the helm. Imagine Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen, Prescott - any one of them, throwing to ARob...

Yes, CHI absolutely needs to get this man a good QB.

15 minutes ago, Brettg57 said:

I believe you are a frustrated Bears fan, and I get that.

Coming from a trash organization like the Texans, let me tell you though.  PAY THAT MAN.  Don't trade him for a 2nd rounder and a washed RB cause you didn't want to add 3 years onto the back end of his HORRIBLE deal to begin with.

I don't think ARob deserves top 2 WR money, but he's next up and that ODB range seems pretty reasonable to me.  I'm also not gonna sit here and pretend to be an agent nor do I know the effects of closed gates on the NFL's overall revenue and thus the salary cap.

What I do know, and I can speak to, is that your WR core can get MUCH worse if you let your Alpha get away.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, JAG_challam said:

Disagree. Any good QB will throw into a contested catch if the WR talent is there along with the trust. And it's not really like CHI has a ton of other good options all over the field. A better QB will make better throws - pretty simple. I'd wager that with better accuracy, ARob's game would elevate, even if it came at the cost of a few less targets.

And on that catch you refer to, the coverage was too tight, the throw never should have been made. If you go back and watch that play, ARob wasn't able to make separation at the line, and so the corner was on top of him the entire route. It looked like the play was supposed to be in front of ARob. Either Foles didn't get the ball where it was supposed to be, or else he saw the coverage and intentionally underthrew ARob (because a throw in front looked like a clear INT waiting to happen). By the time ARob turned around, the ball was coming. He had to try and stop, turn his body, untangle from the corner, and make the catch. It bounced off his knee. Yes - it was a catchable ball, but not an easy catch by any means. Making that catch would been a highlight reel play in my opinion. So the play went bad in fault to ARob for failing to get separation and make the route - but then went full on INT bad because Foles forced the throw.

OK, so you want an accurate passer that doesn't take chances.  Then you don't want Allen Robinson getting 16 targets a game.

You want Derek Carr, Teddy B, Phil Rivers, Minshew, Mullens type guys I guess, extremely accurate, never take chances.  Rarely look more than 5 yards down field. 

If you're a QB and you trust your WR in RECOGNIZED man on man coverage you throw them contested passes.  The WR should win those if they are good.  If you believe in your WR you don't just avoid him completely because he's got a good DB on him.  QBs throw to a SPOT at a certain time.  That's what practice is for.  Knowing where you're supposed to be at a certain time and making sure you are ready to rip the ball out of the air.

The ball takes seconds in the air to get 25 yards downfield.  You aren't thinking about maybe ARobs arm could be getting twisted up at some point.  No, you see he's 1 on 1 and you throw it to a spot and hope ARob doesn't bounce the ball off his knee to defenders arms.

Those 5 accurate passers I mentioned above, wouldn't have thrown that pass, you're right. They would probably not have thrown to ARob all night with Davis on him because he's a really good DB.  ARobs line on the night probably also would've been 3/26/0.

Nah dog.  Give me a gunslinger all day.  I don't care about the Bears.  I care about ARobs stats and it ends there.

Regardless though, we'll just agree to disagree.  I respect your opinion, just can't back it.  And if you're saying would he be better with Russell Wilson, I think it's obvious that me and every human in the world would agree with you.

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

OK, so you want an accurate passer that doesn't take chances.  Then you don't want Allen Robinson getting 16 targets a game.

You want Derek Carr, Teddy B, Phil Rivers, Minshew, Mullens type guys I guess, extremely accurate, never take chances.  Rarely look more than 5 yards down field. 

If you're a QB and you trust your WR in RECOGNIZED man on man coverage you throw them contested passes.  The WR should win those if they are good.  If you believe in your WR you don't just avoid him completely because he's got a good DB on him.  QBs throw to a SPOT at a certain time.  That's what practice is for.  Knowing where you're supposed to be at a certain time and making sure you are ready to rip the ball out of the air.

The ball takes seconds in the air to get 25 yards downfield.  You aren't thinking about maybe ARobs arm could be getting twisted up at some point.  No, you see he's 1 on 1 and you throw it to a spot and hope ARob doesn't bounce the ball off his knee to defenders arms.

Those 5 accurate passers I mentioned above, wouldn't have thrown that pass, you're right. They would probably not have thrown to ARob all night with Davis on him because he's a really good DB.  ARobs line on the night probably also would've been 3/26/0.

Nah dog.  Give me a gunslinger all day.  I don't care about the Bears.  I care about ARobs stats and it ends there.

Regardless though, we'll just agree to disagree.  I respect your opinion, just can't back it.  And if you're saying would he be better with Russell Wilson, I think it's obvious that me and every human in the world would agree with you.

I never mentioned a single one of the QBs that you've decided I'd like to have. You should read my last post. I'm talking about good quarterbacks, not simply accurate ones. There's a difference. Every QB you mentioned is not what I'd call a good QB, for largely the reasons you bring up.

Make your own list of good QBs, and then tell me you still don't believe ARob would be better off with any one of them - so this stance that Foles is fantasty gold just doesn't wash with me. I'd 10x rather have 10 targets a game from a Rodgers/Prescott/etc than 14 targets a game from Foles. And I have to think you'd agree with me. If not, then yes, we'll agree to disagree.

Edited by JAG_challam

1 hour ago, JAG_challam said:

I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but throughout his career ARob has an elite-level contested catch rate. And that's with terrible-to-middling QB play.
Garbage time; Foles loves his ARob; all that talk aside - there is no way ARob isn't in the conversation for top 5 at his position if he's got a competant QB at the helm. Imagine Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen, Prescott - any one of them, throwing to ARob...

Yes, CHI absolutely needs to get this man a good QB.

No, I am not saying Chicago shouldn’t sign and extend Allen. I am saying he needs to show up to work, jump balls like that are what you get paid for and why your QB trust you. I fully think Chicago HAS to extend him because they have nothing else behind him.

You guys feeling confident starting him tomorrow? I was hearing the Panthers' top cornerback might be out for the game but from the latest I heard, I heard he is playing.

8 minutes ago, jagsfan05 said:

You guys feeling confident starting him tomorrow? I was hearing the Panthers' top cornerback might be out for the game but from the latest I heard, I heard he is playing.

Start your studs, I am with full confidence

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jagsfan05 said:

Go look at his last 3 games. YES! Let's goooo! Bear Down!

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 6:28 AM, JAG_challam said:

I never mentioned a single one of the QBs that you've decided I'd like to have. You should read my last post. I'm talking about good quarterbacks, not simply accurate ones. There's a difference. Every QB you mentioned is not what I'd call a good QB, for largely the reasons you bring up.

Make your own list of good QBs, and then tell me you still don't believe ARob would be better off with any one of them - so this stance that Foles is fantasty gold just doesn't wash with me. I'd 10x rather have 10 targets a game from a Rodgers/Prescott/etc than 14 targets a game from Foles. And I have to think you'd agree with me. If not, then yes, we'll agree to disagree.

Fantasy good and real life good are two separate things.

For example, if I had to pick any QB for Robinson my first three choices would be Wilson, Rodgers, and Mahomes. Number 4? Winston.

Different QBs have different strengths as do different WRs and this applies to Robinson more than most WRs. He’s near the top of the league in air yards per throw and he frankly doesn’t consistently get as much separation as you’d want from a deep threat. However, he’s among the best in the game at going and getting a pass and making contested passes. You kind of need QBs that are willing to make that throw though. Wilson and Mahomes for example will hit anyone deep and Rodgers is probably the best QB at back shoulder throws and making contested throws. 

Just now, Gandalfthecat said:

Anyone fading him this weekend because of Ramsey and co?

Likely lot of owners don't have the luxury to consider such issues. It's a strike against him true - but he always has strikes against him - like his QB.

2 minutes ago, Gandalfthecat said:

Anyone fading him this weekend because of Ramsey and co?

It worries me a little bit. I could see this easily being a 12-9 game. Bears D will show up as usual, but Aaron Donald will wreck the Bears Offensive Line. Even Good OLines already have to double him up and he still gets pressure. Just gotta hope ARob gets a lot of quick curl routes and short middle of the field work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SuperJoint said:

Likely lot of owners don't have the luxury to consider such issues. It's a strike against him true - but he always has strikes against him - like his QB.

That's fair. I just think it's a tough matchup and will likely be close enough to negate any garbage action.