thebadferret

Dynasty All-in first year

Finally, after 2 years of discussions i could convince my home league to switch to dynasty.

League: 16 Team, PPR, non-SF, IDP

Fate decided that I have the #1 spot and I'm pretty set on CMC with that.

I already did a trade for the #7 overall spot for which I had to give away #33 and a '21 first and third round rookie pick. Originally I did this to go for Tyreek Hill, because I'm super high on him, but I got some other ideas now.

My idea - as you can guess - is to go all-in first year to win the title. Here are some ideas I had.

The guy swith the second overall is a hardcore Saints fan, so I guess he will take MT: I was thinking about trying to talk to the #3 pick about moving up from #7 to get the CMC/Saquon combination. That would probably cost me my whole rookie draft, but who cares, right?

My next pick would be #33 and I'd hope Julio Jones falls there because he's "old", but I can't guarantee this, that would be quite the fall (I think he is going somewhere around #25).

AJ Green goes around #100 and he could be a nice addition to my all-in team.

What are some other players you would look at if you were in my situation?

43 minutes ago, thebadferret said:

My idea - as you can guess - is to go all-in first year to win the title.

I want to challenge this idea a bit. I like the idea of trying to catch the older crumbs that other teams may leave behind, but I would try to do it in such a way that you don't entirely cripple your team. Don't go all-in yet, just shove in a sizeable amount; and then in October/November you can go all-in when you see you are indeed one of the contenders. Remember seasons are long, playoffs are short and the fantasy gods are fickle.

Also remember that especially in a larger league, you may not be the only person following this strategy. 

I'm not on my laptop now but I can help you go get a list of 30+ players if you want?

3 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

I want to challenge this idea a bit. I like the idea of trying to catch the older crumbs that other teams may leave behind, but I would try to do it in such a way that you don't entirely cripple your team. Don't go all-in yet, just shove in a sizeable amount; and then in October/November you can go all-in when you see you are indeed one of the contenders. Remember seasons are long, playoffs are short and the fantasy gods are fickle.

Also remember that especially in a larger league, you may not be the only person following this strategy. 

I'm not on my laptop now but I can help you go get a list of 30+ players if you want?

important knowledge!

Yes, seasons are long and the idea is not to only draft players who are probably out of the league in a year or two, but to build a young core of elite players like CMC and Barkley or Hill and then use aged player to bring me over the final hump.

I would highly appreciate this list. Haven't digged in too deep for later rounds (except for some rookies or young players I really like) and espcially not IDP, which will be nice.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

rank

name

QB5

Russell Wilson

QB8

Drew Brees

QB9

Matt Ryan

QB10

Tom Brady

QB11

Aaron Rodgers

QB13

Matthew Stafford

QB14

Ben Roethlisberger

QB17

Ryan Tannehill

QB19

Kirk Cousins

QB22

Philip Rivers

QB29

Ryan Fitzpatrick

QB31

Nick Foles

QB35

Cam Newton

QB38

Andy Dalton

rank

name

TE1

Travis Kelce

TE10

Jared Cook

TE24

Greg Olsen

TE25

Kyle Rudolph

TE32

Jimmy Graham

TE36

Delanie Walker

TE40

Darren Fells

TE45

Jason Witten

rank

name

WR4

Julio Jones

WR24

A.J. Green

WR28

T.Y. Hilton

WR31

Julian Edelman

WR45

Emmanuel Sanders

WR54

Golden Tate

WR61

DeSean Jackson

WR71

Larry Fitzgerald

WR76

Cole Beasley

WR81

Mohamed Sanu

WR88

Danny Amendola

WR108

Demaryius Thomas

WR112

Antonio Brown

WR126

Ted Ginn

rank

name

RB20

Mark Ingram

RB50

Adrian Peterson

RB93

LeSean McCoy

RB105

Frank Gore

RB106

Bilal Powell

Edit: no IDP yet in my data, I'll collect that later, but that should be easier to get around I think, IDP is rarely a problem to get players.

Edit 2: the rankings are for redraft. In dynasty these geriatrics (especially RBs) should probably drop even further.

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Thanks 1

If Hill is there at 7th overall? Def draft him if he's not, then go next best WR or RB 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rush2112 said:

If Hill is there at 7th overall? Def draft him if he's not, then go next best WR or RB 

I would probably go this route, as well

2 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

59 minutes ago, hockeyfan77 said:

I would probably go this route, as well

Let's say I could confirm that #2 takes MT and would talk #3 into trading it for my #7 and a 2nd + 4th round rookie pick.

Would you take Hill at 7 or make the trade and take Saquon?

I think you are wasting too many picks jumping up in the draft. Especially as a 16 team league.

1 minute ago, bhawks489 said:

I think you are wasting too many picks jumping up in the draft. Especially as a 16 team league.

My idea was that especially in a 16 team leage - where elite talent is super valuable - it is worth jumping up the board.

Let's be say it works out and I end up top 5 this year. How much do you get for a rookie pick #11-16 compared to what I get now in early first round.

5 minutes ago, thebadferret said:

My idea was that especially in a 16 team leage - where elite talent is super valuable - it is worth jumping up the board.

Let's be say it works out and I end up top 5 this year. How much do you get for a rookie pick #11-16 compared to what I get now in early first round.

My experience is only the top rookie picks are worth anything. Youre probably better off packaging a rookie pick with something to sweeten your deal

1 minute ago, bhawks489 said:

My experience is only the top rookie picks are worth anything. Youre probably better off packaging a rookie pick with something to sweeten your deal

That's what I did and what I'm planning to do: Use my rookie picks - since I expect them to be worth not much - to move up the board and load my team with elite talent to have the edge in this year (and therefore make my rookie picks even more "worthless")

5 hours ago, thebadferret said:

Let's say I could confirm that #2 takes MT and would talk #3 into trading it for my #7 and a 2nd + 4th round rookie pick.

Would you take Hill at 7 or make the trade and take Saquon?

if you could get that deal, I would take it....

• Like 1

Getting CMac and Saquon would be pretty sweet but if you could grab Thomas at 3 that’s almost better as you get the top guy at two crucial positions.  But Barkley is pretty sweet too 

Not worth it in my opinion.

You're going to find by about round 6, probably earlier, that the dependable talent is gone and you've barely rounded out a starting lineup, let alone put together a roster deep enough to handle the inevitable injuries that will occur.

All good having 2 superstars but if you've got to fill the rest of the team with crap your weekly points total isn't going to be any better than it otherwise would have been, and you've put your eggs in a much smaller basket.

39 minutes ago, fjthegrey said:

Not worth it in my opinion.

You're going to find by about round 6, probably earlier, that the dependable talent is gone and you've barely rounded out a starting lineup, let alone put together a roster deep enough to handle the inevitable injuries that will occur.

All good having 2 superstars but if you've got to fill the rest of the team with crap your weekly points total isn't going to be any better than it otherwise would have been, and you've put your eggs in a much smaller basket.

where did I say I was only going to draft crap? The idea is - while others probalby focus young players, especially rookies - to focus players their prime is right now and not in 2 years.

Small update. I have no rookie picks anymore, but I'm now holding pick #1 and pick #2. That makes the decision pretty easy to start with CMC and Saquon. :) 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, thebadferret said:

Small update. I have no rookie picks anymore, but I'm now holding pick #1 and pick #2. That makes the decision pretty easy to start with CMC and Saquon. :) 

Do you have all your other picks? The two firsts, 2nd, 3rd, etc?

8 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

Do you have all your other picks? The two firsts, 2nd, 3rd, etc?

I'm missing the third.

So essentially I traded my 3rd round pick and all my rookie drafts for the #2 overall

The trades were:

#33 + Rookie 1st and 3rd for #7

#7 + Rookie 4th for #5

#5 + Rookie 2nd for #2

So I hold #1, #2, #32, #64, #65, #96, #97, ... and no picks in '21 Rookie Draft.

On 6/5/2020 at 3:08 PM, thebadferret said:

So I hold #1, #2, #32, #64, #65, #96, #97, ... and no picks in '21 Rookie Draft.

Bigggg gamble. Will be interesting to see how that plays out. Viel Glück!

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2020 at 1:58 PM, Boudewijn said:

Bigggg gamble. Will be interesting to see how that plays out. Viel Glück!

Well, yesterday was the day. We decided to shrink the taxi squad down to 5 places so we ended up with 26 rounds. Here https://sleeper.app/draft/nfl/517722797338562560 is the link to the full draft in case someone is interesting. Unfortunate one of the league teams was on vacation and wasn't able to draft more than a few rounds (team 14). And I'm pretty sure team 12 and 13 were still drafting after old rankings. Tried to get rid of those teams, but they are relatives of the league owner and yeah.
As always all hell broke lose when the first team started taking defensive players. I tried to use that to stack up on some falling offensive players and ended up being a bit disappointed with my defense, but too many people were hunting for the guys I was trying to get late and yeah.

tldr.:
1.01 CMC
1.02 Saquon Barkley
2.16 AJ Brown (don't know how he fell, but I'm not complaining)
4.16 Marquise Brown
5.01 Dak Prescott
6.16 Christian Kirk
7.01 Michael Pittman Jr
8.16 Budda Baker
9.01 Deion Jones
10.16 Hayden Hurst
11.1 Alexander Mattison
12.16 Dallas Goedert
13.01 Justin Simmons
14.16 Antonio Gibson
15.01 Tony Pollard
16.16 Maxx Crosby
17.01 Kwon Alexander
18.16 Devin Duvernoy
19.01 Adam Trautman
20.16 Dwayne Haskins Jr
21.01 Logan Wilson
22.16 Jacob Eason
23.01 Jordyn Brooks
24.16 Randall Cobb
25.01 Jason Myers
26.16 Kyle Dugger

PS: I know, you don't have to tell me that half of the guys in my league are idiots and probably don't care that much about FF, but I learned to live with that over the years.

6 minutes ago, thebadferret said:

PS: I know, you don't have to tell me that half of the guys in my league are idiots and probably don't care that much about FF, but I learned to live with that over the years.

Seems you're not the only German in that league? I spotted 3 other names that might be of the Teutonic persuasion (Multisaft the most obvious :D)

I think you have a good draft, and topped off with CMC and Barkley should make it pretty darn great this first season. Obviously a couple others went more for the long term.
Let's hope there is a season!

1 minute ago, Boudewijn said:

Seems you're not the only German in that league? I spotted 3 other names that might be of the Teutonic persuasion (Multisaft the most obvious :D)

I think you have a good draft, and topped off with CMC and Barkley should make it pretty darn great this first season. Obviously a couple others went more for the long term.
Let's hope there is a season!

Yeah, Multisaft had the Fantasy Pros Premium Subscription and used their draft client and just started taking every rookie from round 12 on...let's just say the atmosphere in the garden we drafted went worse with every pick he did :D 

Thanks. Yes, there has already been a trade signaling that there are teams that really want that first overall pick.

14 hours ago, thebadferret said:

Well, yesterday was the day. We decided to shrink the taxi squad down to 5 places so we ended up with 26 rounds. Here https://sleeper.app/draft/nfl/517722797338562560 is the link to the full draft in case someone is interesting. Unfortunate one of the league teams was on vacation and wasn't able to draft more than a few rounds (team 14). And I'm pretty sure team 12 and 13 were still drafting after old rankings. Tried to get rid of those teams, but they are relatives of the league owner and yeah.
As always all hell broke lose when the first team started taking defensive players. I tried to use that to stack up on some falling offensive players and ended up being a bit disappointed with my defense, but too many people were hunting for the guys I was trying to get late and yeah.

tldr.:
1.01 CMC
1.02 Saquon Barkley
2.16 AJ Brown (don't know how he fell, but I'm not complaining)
4.16 Marquise Brown
5.01 Dak Prescott
6.16 Christian Kirk
7.01 Michael Pittman Jr
8.16 Budda Baker
9.01 Deion Jones
10.16 Hayden Hurst
11.1 Alexander Mattison
12.16 Dallas Goedert
13.01 Justin Simmons
14.16 Antonio Gibson
15.01 Tony Pollard
16.16 Maxx Crosby
17.01 Kwon Alexander
18.16 Devin Duvernoy
19.01 Adam Trautman
20.16 Dwayne Haskins Jr
21.01 Logan Wilson
22.16 Jacob Eason
23.01 Jordyn Brooks
24.16 Randall Cobb
25.01 Jason Myers
26.16 Kyle Dugger

Thank you for posting the draft, this was very helpful, as I'm in the middle of a 14 teams draft

9 hours ago, hockeyfan77 said:

Thank you for posting the draft, this was very helpful, as I'm in the middle of a 14 teams draft

but as I said, take it with a grain of salt. This was a 16 team draft with 10-12 teams who cared and 6-8 teams who really prepared.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, thebadferret said:

but as I said, take it with a grain of salt. This was a 16 team draft with 10-12 teams who cared and 6-8 teams who really prepared.

And dynasty and IDP, which Hockey's draft doesn't have ;)