Boudewijn

Chris Carson 2020 Outlook

They would have been insane not to sign someone given last year's experience with RB injuries.

Hyde got his last year because he was essentially the only guy left for Houston.

I'm not concerned as long as Carson is healthy and not fumbling.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I'm not concerned as long as Carson is healthy and not fumbling

Not saying Carson will lose the starter's job, but saying that you're not concerned about Carson as long as he's healthy and not fumbling is basically the same as saying you weren't worried about Josh Gordon for the last 5 years as long as he stays away from drugs.

Edited by mverkruyse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mverkruyse said:

Not saying Carson will lose the starter's job, but saying that you're not concerned about Carson as long as he's healthy and not fumbling is basically the same as saying you weren't worried about Josh Gordon for the last 5 years as long as he stays away from drugs.

0CCBHhF.jpg

1 minute ago, Gohawks said:

0CCBHhF.jpg

The correlation is saying they're good as long as you ignore their primary downsides, which happen to have a fairly decent sample size of occurring. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mverkruyse said:

You can coach holding on to the rock, not putting down a bong.  One's technique, Jawsh's problem was a psychologically learned habit.

Posted (edited)

Yea this doesn't move the needle for me. Hyde will prob have a lesser role then what a healthy Penny would.

Edited by paulwall29
  • Like 2

Snap.....Just created a Hyde thread announcing he has signed with Seattle.  I should have known you guys are all over any breaking news.

Just thought his signing would have triggered a Hyde 2020 sighting.  ;) 

I remember Duke Johnson truthers saying Hyde's nothing to scoff at. However, at this stage in the game, for a one-year deal (Texans traded a pick last year for Hyde...although it's the Texans we're talking about), I don't see this being a signficant issue. Best case for Hyde- Carson and Penny aren't ready for camp and are questionable for week 1, and Hyde will get some work. Worst case for Hyde- he just sits as depth, and is even flat out cut before the season due to Homer and Dallas looking like OK prospects.

Carson's the guy as long as he's healthy, Hyde will split if Carson is limited, Hyde will start if Carson and Penny are on PUP for some reason. Hyde will have value if one of those two get hurt throughout the season (good chance).

I'm valuing Hyde as a later-round flyer who will rise sharply if the Carson news isn't good before camp.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, turner46 said:

A doctor said there is not a lot of data on hip injuries and recovery on hip injuries. Seattle spoke with Lynch, made a offer to Freeman then eventually signed Hyde.

https://fadeawayworld.net/2018/07/14/how-isaiah-thomas-lost-100-million-in-one-season/

Hip injuries can be terrible which is a concern. I know it is a different sport but it basically made Isaiah Thomas go from a superstar to a journeyman backup.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Hip injuries can be terrible which is a concern. I know it is a different sport but it basically made Isaiah Thomas go from a superstar to a journeyman backup.

I found an article which mentioned various hip injuries in various sports; 2 interesting examples are Rod Smith and Priest Holmes:

- Holmes had a hip surgery at the end of the 2002 season (age 29), then rushed for 27 TD in 2003
- Rod Smith had hip surgery at age 2006 which essentially ended his career.

Of course Carson is only 25, so maybe more interesting:

- Tua Tagovailoa had a fracture/dislocation (not sure if Carson also had the dislocation). He seems to have recovered.
- Former Ravens TE Dennis Pitta is the most scary example: had fractured hips in 2013 (age 28) and 2014, then played a full season in 2016 - and had another hip fracture in 2017 which ended his career. That's not good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

I found an article which mentioned various hip injuries in various sports; 2 interesting examples are Rod Smith and Priest Holmes:

- Holmes had a hip surgery at the end of the 2002 season (age 29), then rushed for 27 TD in 2003
- Rod Smith had hip surgery at age 2006 which essentially ended his career.

Of course Carson is only 25, so maybe more interesting:

- Tua Tagovailoa had a fracture/dislocation (not sure if Carson also had the dislocation). He seems to have recovered.
- Former Ravens TE Dennis Pitta is the most scary example: had fractured hips in 2013 (age 28) and 2014, then played a full season in 2016 - and had another hip fracture in 2017 which ended his career. That's not good.

Right. They seem like hit or miss in terms of severity. The problem is when they hit they hit extremely hard. Clearly Seattle isn't extremely confident as they drafted and signed a RB.

That's my main worry at this point. Not that Hyde is any kind of threat it's the severity of the injury. That being said, I think this should clear up before most people draft.

• Like 2

Never want to see a guy get hurt that late in the season (Week 16) but the fact that he avoided surgery sheds some positive light on the situation.

Gotta wonder though how's his rehab has been with the restrictions on alot of these NFL facilities earlier in the year. 

If all the news out of training camp comes out positive he seems like a great RB2 to pair with your top 5 pick. Barkley Carson & Amari Cooper (Moore, etc) would be a great starting 3.

Carson has no competition, is a great runner (imo), and should be playing on a top 10 offense. Health is the only concern 

30 minutes ago, Breesus said:

Carson has no competition, is a great runner (imo), and should be playing on a top 10 offense. Health is the only concern 

And fumbles.

I've absolutely enjoyed Carson over the past 2 seasons (especially 2018), but a hip injury is not that minor, and I've invested late round darts both in Hyde and DeeJay Dallas in various leagues. I don't think they're directly challenge him for the lead, but if Carson has further health/fumble problems, then I do think either of them could take over.

9 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

And fumbles.

I've absolutely enjoyed Carson over the past 2 seasons (especially 2018), but a hip injury is not that minor, and I've invested late round darts both in Hyde and DeeJay Dallas in various leagues. I don't think they're directly challenge him for the lead, but if Carson has further health/fumble problems, then I do think either of them could take over.

Yeah the fumbling issue is a good point. I’m hoping this next month there will be enough info out on if he’s healthy. If there is no definite answer then I will be avoiding as well.  

I am going all in with Carson. If I can get him in the late 3rd or early 4th then I am buying everywhere. Solid rb2 with rb1 numbers in most weeks.

He is a value, but last year was pretty scary to watch as the season progressed. Had his good games, had his fumbling issues, then also started to see Penny force a near-even timeshare. 

I think he's a good value, but I don't know if you could ever trade him before the inevitable injury. He'd still be a good return on investment, but he let me down in week 16 championship last year. He helped me get there with the Carolina blasting however. 

2 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

He is a value, but last year was pretty scary to watch as the season progressed. Had his good games, had his fumbling issues, then also started to see Penny force a near-even timeshare. 

I think he's a good value, but I don't know if you could ever trade him before the inevitable injury. He'd still be a good return on investment, but he let me down in week 16 championship last year. He helped me get there with the Carolina blasting however. 

Penny thing is overrated imo. Carson was highly productive even when Penny came on at the end of the year. Plus, Penny is coming off of a much more significant injury.

• Like 1

Traded him for picks in my dynasty this year and very happy I did. He might have one more decent season this year but his days of being a 3 down back with 18+ carries are coming to a close. They didn't bring back Lynch and sign Hyde for funnsies. 

37 minutes ago, CharlieWhitehurst said:

Traded him for picks in my dynasty this year and very happy I did. He might have one more decent season this year but his days of being a 3 down back with 18+ carries are coming to a close. They didn't bring back Lynch and sign Hyde for funnsies. 

1 more decent season, he's only 25 with less than 3 seasons of games played counting playoffs. The Hyde signing is insurance for Penny and they didn't bring back Lynch.

3 hours ago, CharlieWhitehurst said:

What were you able to get for him in dynasty?

On 8/15/2020 at 1:53 PM, paulwall29 said:

What were you able to get for him in dynasty?

I got a first and second round 2020 pick. Picked up Akers and Burrow. 

10 minutes ago, CharlieWhitehurst said:

I got a first and second round 2020 pick. Picked up Akers and Burrow. 

sayyyy whaaa?  H.F.S.

R-1625575-1273033563.jpeg.jpg

• Haha 2