Boudewijn

Chris Carson 2020 Outlook

Carson is coming back from a hip injury. Red flag 1.  He is a violent running back and been injured every year, red flag 2. ......Hyde is getting play and is a solid back.

I'll skip Carson and pick up Hyde late.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Sivaro said:

Carson is coming back from a hip injury. Red flag 1.  He is a violent running back and been injured every year, red flag 2. ......Hyde is getting play and is a solid back.

I'll skip Carson and pick up Hyde late.  

Take both imo. I'd much rather have Carson then a 3rd rd wr like Moore, obj, Evans, etc 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, scheibler said:

Take both imo. I'd much rather have Carson then a 3rd rd wr like Moore, obj, Evans, etc 

are you implying Carson is going to be a star?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Corey In Da House said:

I love how people are acting like RB isnt top heavy. Draft him and Hyde. Problem solved. If you are scared GO TO CHURCH!

Especially with Hyde's pretty low ADP. He's not a cuff you'll likely have to reach for like Edmonds

• Like 1

Honestly, I don't trust fractured hips because I feel like I've seen the reinjury happen frequently on them with star players.  Or maybe it was just a few that stick in my mind and give me overwhelming bad feelings when any other player suffers the same injury and tries to make a comeback.

Either way...I seem to remember Chris Carson having a history of injuries.

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/chris-carson/9563

Err...did Sports Injury Predictor go off a cliff?  Only listing one injury (the broken hip) under this dude's profile?????

Confirmed:

https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/article245419170.html

"But Carson has not proven to be durable.

He broke his leg four games into his rookie season and had season-ending surgery. In 2018 he missed two games and also played through an injured hip and groin. His 2019 season ended in December with a cracked and displaced hip.

Now, after not needing surgery for the hip and returning fully to training camp after missing most of it so far away following deaths in his family, Carson said Tuesday “I’m 100%.”

Carson has not had a full, injury-free season dating to his junior-college days at Butler Community College in Kansas. Those were in 2013 and ‘14. In 2012, he tore his anterior cruciate ligament in his knee during his senior season at Lilburn Parkview High School in Georgia. That changed his plans of playing football for the University of Georgia. He had a hand injury that cost him games in 2016, his final one at Oklahoma State."

So basically, his injury history is: torn ACL, broken leg, broken hip, injured hip and groin.  I swear I remember some hamstring injury at some point, but maybe not, or maybe it's water under the bridge compared to all the broken bones and torn ligaments.

His running style is upright as if he doesn't care that he's about to get hit from any direction.  Like, he could be running right at a brick wall and it seems like he wouldn't even lower his shoulder to ever absorb the blow.  Part of me thinks the violent force of that kind of speed impact would lead to upper body shoulder/chest/rib injuries, but could equally cause broken bones in the lower body as he churns his feet without thinking to protect himself.

I think his playstyle is effective, and I'd want him contributing to my fantasy team, but I'm 100% expecting him to get injured at any point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/24/2020 at 5:05 AM, Boudewijn said:

I found an article which mentioned various hip injuries in various sports; 2 interesting examples are Rod Smith and Priest Holmes:

- Holmes had a hip surgery at the end of the 2002 season (age 29), then rushed for 27 TD in 2003
- Rod Smith had hip surgery at age 2006 which essentially ended his career.

Of course Carson is only 25, so maybe more interesting:

- Tua Tagovailoa had a fracture/dislocation (not sure if Carson also had the dislocation). He seems to have recovered.
- Former Ravens TE Dennis Pitta is the most scary example: had fractured hips in 2013 (age 28) and 2014, then played a full season in 2016 - and had another hip fracture in 2017 which ended his career. That's not good.

Pitta is one of the cases I was remembering.

I already drafted him as my RB 3 .if he gets hurt so be it. when he plays hes a low end rb1. i'll flex that every week. 

Edited by NInsko
  • Like 1

Carson had a stress fracture in his hip didnt need surgery, these other guys had fractures in the wrong place of the hip but he is still risky would handcuff him with Hyde

9 hours ago, Robrain said:

So basically, his injury history is: torn ACL, broken leg, broken hip, injured hip and groin.  I swear I remember some hamstring injury at some point, but maybe not, or maybe it's water under the bridge compared to all the broken bones and torn ligaments.

His running style is upright as if he doesn't care that he's about to get hit from any direction.  Like, he could be running right at a brick wall and it seems like he wouldn't even lower his shoulder to ever absorb the blow.  Part of me thinks the violent force of that kind of speed impact would lead to upper body shoulder/chest/rib injuries, but could equally cause broken bones in the lower body as he churns his feet without thinking to protect himself.

That’s insane. I remember liking him last year but thinking that he probably won’t be available for the playoffs and just one more injury would do him in for good. 

Fast forward - he wasn’t available down the stretch and he did suffer another non playable injury. 

I’d love to have him at the right value. I’d put him around pick 55 or later. But he’s going about a full round before that. 

He’s got risk but he’s not a complete dart throw or bland junk. The only RBs after Carson that hold any excitement for me at all that aren’t total lottery tickets are J Taylor, R Mostert, K Hunt and Zack Moss. 

Pretty tough to pass on Carson (in standard non ppr at minimum) when that’s all that’s behind him. I do like Mostert a lot but he goes a round after Carson so I’d never take him over Carson.

1 hour ago, FreakFries said:

He’s got risk but he’s not a complete dart throw or bland junk. The only RBs after Carson that hold any excitement for me at all that aren’t total lottery tickets are J Taylor, R Mostert, K Hunt and Zack Moss. 

Pretty tough to pass on Carson (in standard non ppr at minimum) when that’s all that’s behind him. I do like Mostert a lot but he goes a round after Carson so I’d never take him over Carson.

I recently traded for Carson in a deal involving Kenyan Drake.  The league is a 16 teamer with 0.5 PPR.  I think that Carson will be solid again this year if he can stay healthy but that's a big "if."  Unfortunately he's my rb1 and I would feel a lot more comfortable if he was my rb2 or rb3.

• Like 1

If I get him anywhere in rd3, even @ 3.1 it's an easy smash pick for me. We all know his injury history, just draft Hyde late. Hell even draft penny with your last pick aswell and put him in your IR after the draft then pickup another flyer

Edited by scheibler
  • Like 1

Picked him up in Round 4 pick 4. Gordon, Ingram and Singletary went after him. RB3 after Cook, Connor. Pretty happy getting him in the 4th round. Hoping for lots of goal line duties.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sdlengua said:

Picked him up in Round 4 pick 4. Gordon, Ingram and Singletary went after him. RB3 after Cook, Connor. Pretty happy getting him in the 4th round. Hoping for lots of goal line duties.

Whoa how many teams are in your league?

2 minutes ago, rasto21585 said:

Whoa how many teams are in your league?

10 teamer. Mostert, Drake and Sanders were picked just before him. Those are solid backs, not sure I would take those guys over Carson. I know Carson will touch the ball a lot. Just hoping his fumbles don't reappear.  

Had him last year. Got him as my RB#3 this year.  Have my fingers crossed he can stay healthy this year.  And if he can hang onto the football, that would be a big plus.

Also hope that Pete Carroll opens up the offense this year for Wilson.  

The offense with run on first and 2nd down and then hope Wilson can come up with a miracle on 3rd down gets kind of predictable.

Chris Carson is probably my favorite back in the league, but I'm a bit relieved he didn't fall to me because I have a lot of reservations about Seattle's offensive line. They turned it around some last year with some new faces, but their key cogs are getting up there in age and the whole unit is a bit of a question mark even when everyone is healthy. 

Will Dissly appears healthy though, so that'll help things. Their blocking was a lot worse without him. 

Ok I’m in. Leggooooooo. 

First time owner...excited and nervous as hell. Maybe he will give us a 2019-Cook-like season. How about it Petey, feed him the ball. 

• Haha 1

Admittedly, it's probably more just coach-speak. And, it's Pete Carroll, so there's that. But...

• Seahawks coach Pete Carroll hinted at using a "hot hand" approach between Chris Carson and Carlos Hyde.

Carson handled 19.3 carries per game on 72 percent of Seattle's offensive snaps last year but that workload seems in doubt with the 25-year-old coming off hip surgery. It's still possible Carson becomes the 'hot hand', but that notion still guarantees Hyde is mixed in from the first drive on. With so few healthy bell-cows available for Week 1, Carson settles in as a low-confidence RB2 whereas Hyde isn't the worst RB3 if fantasy players are desperate for touches. Both will likely be afterthoughts in the passing game.

Sep 11, 2020, 5:10 PM ET

•  

Need to see the total exchange word for word. Rotoworld is notorious for taking quotes out of context in their blurbs. I like how they used the word ‘hint’ in their write up 

Wish everyone here luck with Carson. Had him last year. As a football fan you love to watch him play because he just goes out to slap people. As a fantasy owner it makes you nervous as hell because you’re squeezing your butt cheeks hoping he’s not injured after each play. Hope he builds on top of last year 

this guy's an RB1 IMO, I'd rather have him than a bunch of RB taken picks 14-20 or so. I took him at 20 and felt it was a steal. Don't care about yahoo automatic insights calling it a reach or something haha.

For better or for worse, Pete likes to run, run, run and then let russ wilson save the day in the 4th quarter. Carson a talented back, I got my issues with Pete, but Carson should be in for a great year, especially with no incentive to give him a pitch count or anything with the expiring contract. Don't believe a washed hyde is going to steal a ton of touches.

Free Agent next year and I imagine Seattle saves cash by letting him go and taken a rookie in the first few rounds. Been little progress on extension talks, Carson is completely healed on the fracture, he's gonna be the guy to pound the rock for the most part.

Edited by fawkes_mulder
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

this guy's an RB1 IMO, I'd rather have him than a bunch of RB taken picks 14-20 or so. I took him at 20 and felt it was a steal. Don't care about yahoo automatic insights calling it a reach or something haha.

For better or for worse, Pete likes to run, run, run and then let russ wilson save the day in the 4th quarter. Carson a talented back, I got my issues with Pete, but Carson should be in for a great year, especially with no incentive to give him a pitch count or anything. Free Agent next year and I imagine Seattle saves cash by letting him go and taken a rookie in the first few rounds. Been little progress on extension talks, Hyde is completely washed, Carson is completely healed on the fracture, he's gonna be the guy to pound the rock.

I also chose to take Carson over all the other RB's in that range....

It sure sucks seeing him ranked below Conner, and DJ had a great game last night. I was kicking myself for not going with DJ....but all of these guys have injury pasts...

Hoping for a good season for Carson - he sure is fun to watch.

X