Boudewijn

Zach Ertz 2020 Outlook

He seems extra slow this year. I think "experts" will finally start moving out of the top-5 in rankings going forward.

Eagles fan here -

The only WR we had active heading into the season last night (on 53 man roster) was Greg Ward (our WR4).  As everyone here knows, Goedert was out as well.  From a pure pass catchers (excluding RBs, ie Sanders) standpoint - the defense just had to hone in on Ertz and take him out of the game, which they did.

I own 0 shares of Ertz, but will be targeting him in trades.  Once Alshon, Deshaun Jackson, and Reagor come back, that will divert the attention off of Ertz and he'll wind up picking apart the middle of the field again.  Book it.  Strong HOLD.  Don't sell for pennies on the dollar.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I can't disagree with not selling him, and the logic makes sense that the defense just had to focus on him.  However he did not look like anything other than an average TE coming off the line going into his routes.  Guys were plastered on him and Wentz isn't looking to throw it to him in tight windows.  He's getting a bunch of catches near the LOS and pretty much nothing after the catch.

It's been highly disappointing to own him and will likely continue to be so with Wentz not looking too hot this year with that offensive line.  Hopefully there really is something to the the lack of weapons allowing more focus on Ertz and he can open up once guys start returning.  But from an individual talent standpoint Ertz just does not pass the eye test right now.  Hope you guys have better options because the floor AND ceiling are low as hell right now.  He's hardly playable the way things are going.

3 hours ago, CharlesCC2 said:

I can't disagree with not selling him, and the logic makes sense that the defense just had to focus on him.  However he did not look like anything other than an average TE coming off the line going into his routes.  Guys were plastered on him and Wentz isn't looking to throw it to him in tight windows.  He's getting a bunch of catches near the LOS and pretty much nothing after the catch.

It's been highly disappointing to own him and will likely continue to be so with Wentz not looking too hot this year with that offensive line.  Hopefully there really is something to the the lack of weapons allowing more focus on Ertz and he can open up once guys start returning.  But from an individual talent standpoint Ertz just does not pass the eye test right now.  Hope you guys have better options because the floor AND ceiling are low as hell right now.  He's hardly playable the way things are 

He was never a YAC guy.  Always got hammered for that around here.  His special sauce has always been his elite route running and ability to get separation.  I'm not watching the game tape, so it's plausible that he lost some of that, although - I'm willing to bet there's more of a perception that that's the case when in reality he's getting taken out of the play due to bracket coverage and double teams.  Time will tell.  I like the upside for his devalued price.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Magman said:

He was never a YAC guy.  Always got hammered for that around here.  His special sauce has always been his elite route running and ability to get separation.  I'm not watching the game tape, so it's plausible that he lost some of that, although - I'm willing to bet there's more of a perception that that's the case when in reality he's getting taken out of the play due to bracket coverage and double teams.  Time will tell.  I like the upside for his devalued price.

So he's catching everything around the LOS, and he's not a YAC guy.  That doesn't spell success.  The camera isn't always showing his entire route, but he didn't seem to be getting any separation from defenders at the line.  It seemed like he was getting jammed and not becoming unstuck.  Maybe the tape will show that he was being given extra attention, but it didn't particularly seem like it, and it just felt like he wasn't separating.

I mean you saw the stat line.  With basically nobody else to throw to Wentz isn't getting it to him.  Obviously I'm not dropping, and like I said in my other post I agree with you, you can't sell for pennies on the dollar.  It can't get any worse than its been.  Sure it's possible that they never figure it out and Ertz remains useless, but rational thinking would lead you to think they try to figure out how to get him more involved.

He doesn’t suck. The guy is running a route downfield, the issue is his QB can’t get him the ball and the line can’t hold up for him to run a route.

I think every Ertz owner is going to the wire tomorrow to pick up the GB TE. 

You can’t blame Ertz, you can only blame the situation he is in.

SF definitely keyed on him and successfully took him out of the game. That's not too surprising against an opponent with a great DL and LB corps against a weak OL and WR corps. Still, it was disappointing, because I, along with most others, bought into target share being high enough in this game to make for a solid outing. I do think there are better days ahead for him, but he goes back to my bench for Andrews now. I expect to spot-start him a few more times this year, but I have to see a little more to feel comfortable making the switch again.

I shipped him off prior to last week but some silver lining could be that Wentz looked a lot better last week.  I don't know what Wentz statline ended up being but he played great last week.  Only problem is that it could require some patience with Ertz if you don't like the idea of running Ertz out vs PItt

6 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

SF definitely keyed on him and successfully took him out of the game. That's not too surprising against an opponent with a great DL and LB corps against a weak OL and WR corps. Still, it was disappointing, because I, along with most others, bought into target share being high enough in this game to make for a solid outing. I do think there are better days ahead for him, but he goes back to my bench for Andrews now. I expect to spot-start him a few more times this year, but I have to see a little more to feel comfortable making the switch again.

I don't know. I think it's a combination of defenses keying on the only offensive threat in the passing game along with Ertz falling off a cliff. I'm hoping for enough of an Ertz revival to be of use during BYEs and then have a little name value left to sell afterwards. I'm completely comfortable rolling out any number of other guys as weekly starters (in my case Schultz).

This WR corps is a dumpster fire right now. You can't expect a TE to do much in the passing game when there are a bunch of scrubs at WR who pose no threat to defenses. I'm praying that Alshon coming back helps a little. 

I watched most of the game and Ertz looked terrible.  

This is not hyperbole when I say that never, at least in this season, have I seen a player get as little separation as Zach Ertz did.  He looked like he was running in quick sand -- constantly blanketed.  

On top of looking dreadful, Ertz had what appeared to be an average route depth of 3 yards.  This has been a problem all year long.  Ertz is running very short routes, and it's seriously impacting his yardage totals.  He's playing the role of "safety valve" for the offense, but can't even get open at the line of scrimmage.  Combine all of this with a terrible offense, a dumpster fire of an offensive-line, and little YAC upside, and Ertz looks full JAG TE, not much better than any flavor-of-the-week TE pickup.  

This is not to say you should drop Ertz.  He's still a TE1 (Top 12), mostly by virtue of the TE position being a wasteland.  Ertz will also play easier opponents going forward and the Eagles offense will probably improve.  So there's some upside.  

But watching Ertz this season, I see a painfully average player in a bad situation.  He'll still get more targets than most TEs, but even with the better target share, I see him outside of the Top 5 TEs.  

I have been trying to sell Ertz since Week 1.  No one wants him.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Drewfus said:

This WR corps is a dumpster fire right now. You can't expect a TE to do much in the passing game when there are a bunch of scrubs at WR who pose no threat to defenses. I'm praying that Alshon coming back helps a little. 

In this case, WR corpses 🧟‍♂️ 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Rainyy said:

I watched most of the game and Ertz looked terrible.  

This is not hyperbole when I say that never, at least in this season, have I seen a player get as little separation as Zach Ertz did.  He looked like he was running in quick sand -- constantly blanketed.  

On top of looking dreadful, Ertz had what appeared to be an average route depth of 3 yards.  This has been a problem all year long.  Ertz is running very short routes, and it's seriously impacting his yardage totals.  He's playing the role of "safety valve" for the offense, but can't even get open at the line of scrimmage.  Combine all of this with a terrible offense, a dumpster fire of an offensive-line, and little YAC upside, and Ertz looks full JAG TE, not much better than any flavor-of-the-week TE pickup.  

This is not to say you should drop Ertz.  He's still a TE1 (Top 12), mostly by virtue of the TE position being a wasteland.  Ertz will also play easier opponents going forward and the Eagles offense will probably improve.  So there's some upside.  

But watching Ertz this season, I see a painfully average player in a bad situation.  He'll still get more targets than most TEs, but even with the better target share, I see him outside of the Top 5 TEs.  

I have been trying to sell Ertz since Week 1.  No one wants him.  

Yikes. I haven't watched him this year and this is what I was afraid of: washed at 30. And he's trying to get a big contract...

I've also been trying to sell without any takers. I know someone would use a waiver priority slot to pick him up though so I gotta keep trying. 

5 hours ago, Drewfus said:

Yikes. I haven't watched him this year and this is what I was afraid of: washed at 30. And he's trying to get a big contract...

I've also been trying to sell without any takers. I know someone would use a waiver priority slot to pick him up though so I gotta keep trying. 

Has to be a 2fer upgrade package - even if it's the smallest of upgrades. Package Ertz and a WR3 for a WR2, something like that. I'm guessing it's the only way you'll move him.

• Like 1

And into the trash can you go.  I haven't been this excited to drop a player in years.  

Ertz is a TE2/bye-week filler.  The guy is toast.  Can't get any separation.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Rainyy said:

And into the trash can you go.  I haven't been this excited to drop a player in years.  

Ertz is a TE2/bye-week filler.  The guy is toast.  Can't get any separation.  

Same. I got Schultz and Tonyan both off waivers, haven't started Ertz since. He just punched his ticket from my bench to the wire.

47 minutes ago, yanki01 said:

I didn't watch the game but 6 looks and only 1 catch?

Same as every game this year.  No separation whatsoever.  Ertz looks so slow out there.  Combined with a really inaccurate QB, and not many of Ertz's targets are actually catchable.   

15 minutes ago, Samblacksmith said:

Benching until further notice. 

You've got a stronger stomach than I do. I've had him benched. This is the signal to drop

• Like 1

Looks like this is about the norm from him.  In the 49ers game defenders had no problem sticking with him step for step.  His appeal before was the connection he had with Wentz, and now that seems to be non-existent.  In 12 team and above I'd probably try to bench him, but am absolutely dropping where I have him in a 10 team.

This isn’t hard to comprehend. Without any competent WR’s, teams are giving him the lockdown treatment. Don’t drop him or sell him for peanuts. Once DJax and Alshon come back the field will open up for him. But as long as those guys are out, I’m not starting him.