Boudewijn

Zach Ertz 2020 Outlook

Get Goedert....He will be back soon.   Ertz looks like he just got old.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sivaro said:

Get Goedert....He will be back soon.   Ertz looks like he just got old.

I'm sure it's happened before, but I'm having a hard time remembering someone becoming washed overnight like this at age 30. His production started going down last year, but he didn't look to be in washed terroritory at all. 

Just a few weeks ago he almost punched the GM about not getting a new contract......has been terrible since....tanking it or is Howie brilliant?  

5 minutes ago, Big Tuna said:

Just a few weeks ago he almost punched the GM about not getting a new contract......has been terrible since....tanking it or is Howie brilliant?  

I didn’t watch yesterday’s game but the week before he was literally getting doubled team...teams know Ertz won’t outrun defenders by miles so it’s man to man coverage with someone chasing underneath. No one is respecting their wide receivers. 

12 hours ago, LionKid90 said:

This isn’t hard to comprehend. Without any competent WR’s, teams are giving him the lockdown treatment. Don’t drop him or sell him for peanuts. Once DJax and Alshon come back the field will open up for him. But as long as those guys are out, I’m not starting him.

Are they though?  From the parts of games I've seen it just looks like Ertz is struggling to separate from single coverage.  I don't think he's exactly getting prime Gronk bracket treatment.  It seems more like a combination of losing a step and Wentz being lost behind that offensive line (and having a dearth of weapons like you mentioned).

I don't think it's a matter of teams focusing on him and Alshon/Desean/Reagor coming back allowing him to get open again.  I'd love to be wrong about this, maybe someone watching all the Eagles games can chime in.

2 minutes ago, TwoCan Sam said:

Buy low? Or has that ship sailed?

He looked pretty bad to me in the one game I watched this year, and I think you might actually see him hit waiver wires in some leagues soon. I do think he's worth throwing out a really lowball offer if you want to roll the dice on him improving once some WRs and/or Goedert come back to relieve some of the pressure off of him.

For what it's worth, apparently he's only dropped one catchable target, per PFF.

5 minutes ago, Vendetta said:

He looked pretty bad to me in the one game I watched this year, and I think you might actually see him hit waiver wires in some leagues soon. I do think he's worth throwing out a really lowball offer if you want to roll the dice on him improving once some WRs and/or Goedert come back to relieve some of the pressure off of him.

For what it's worth, apparently he's only dropped one catchable target, per PFF.

He also never leaves the field which is enticing in this current TE landscape. I haven't watched any Eagles games minus the SNF one against SF and he did look bad because he couldn't get open.

1 hour ago, Vendetta said:

What do you think the Steelers defensive game plan was going into the game? Or Niners when they faced Eagles. They are going to have all eyes on Ertz, because all the other pass catchers are basically practice squad guys. It's a mix between defenses keying in on him and the offense. Wentz isn't playing well and the offensive line isn't holding up to sustain drives and allow routes to happen. Right now he is like most TE's, matchup dependent. Once the Eagles get healthy he will go back to being a top 5 TE most weeks.

Keep thinking maybe this is the week!!! [...]

From the promising article above.... ^^^^ "Yeah, I don't know," Eagles coach Doug Pederson said when asked why Ertz is struggling to be productive. "Obviously, defenses know exactly where he is going to be and they'll usually put a corner or a safety [on him], and will sometimes double him. They give him a lot of respect.

I don't know Doug,,,,, then maybe mix up the scheme a little, start him on the Outside, mix in some new crossing routes, have him go deep occasionally.

So Frustrating. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed vent & rant
  • Like 1

The only TE that doesn't struggle when his WRs are injured is Kittle. He's a dog. I bet Kelce would struggle if all his guys went down too. If Jeffrey, DJax, and the others were out there I bet Ertz could then be viable again. He's a guy you need to hold and hope the Philly wideouts get healthy. By then though Goedert might be another problem.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

The only TE that doesn't struggle when his WRs are injured is Kittle. He's a dog. I bet Kelce would struggle if all his guys went down too. If Jeffrey, DJax, and the others were out there I bet Ertz could then be viable again. He's a guy you need to hold and hope the Philly wideouts get healthy. By then though Goedert might be another problem.

I can't believe it, but I'd actually welcome back Goedert at this point. All I want at this point is 5 for 50 each week with a decent chance for a TD.

This season, Ertz is averaging 2.8 yards of separation between him and his defender when the ball has come his way either for a completion or an incompletion, according to NFL Next Gen Stats. To put that in perspective, Kelce is averaging 3.0 yards of separation, and the 2.8 yards of separation is slightly more than Ertz averaged last season (2.7).

It is also pretty on par for what he has averaged in his career:

2020: 2.8 yards
2019: 2.7 yards
2018: 3.2 yards
2017: 2.9 yards
2016: 3.2 yards

Some seasons have been slightly higher than others, but overall, Ertz is getting the same level of separation he always has.

https://www.radio.com/94wip/sports/eagles/the-2-reasons-eagles-zach-ertz-is-off-to-a-slow-start

• Thanks 1

He’ll be fine. He’s still getting every-down snaps and targets. Baltimore isn’t the get right spot, but after that it’s smooth sailing. Getting injured WRs back plus Fulghams ascension only helps him out.

Lots of injuries in Philly.

I don’t WANT to start him, but possibility for 10+ targets should be there.

Hows everyone feeling?

59 minutes ago, Heizz said:

Hows everyone feeling?

I feel exactly how Zach Ertz ranks as a TE, terrible.  

Guys, it's been like 3 weeks now where Ertz has had NO competition for targets.  This isn't a new development.  The volume opportunity has been there; Ertz and the Eagles offense have failed.  

Unfortunately, I have watched a fair amount of Eagles' drives this year.  This isn't the case of Ertz being triple covered every play.  He's simply failing to get separation from single coverage against linebackers. He's badly lost every coverage matchup this year.  

I can't stress this enough.  Ertz has looked terrible.  He was never a good RAC player, but this year he looks like the slowest TE in football.  He just can't get open.  

The other issue is that Ertz runs some of the shortest routes, on average, among TEs.  He's rarely running downfield for big plays.  He's the safety valve who operates 5 yards from the QB.  

So let's see:  (1) a player who can't get open; (2) that plays on a mediocre, at best, offense, and (3) with virtually no big play potential, either in terms of depth of targets or run after catch.  I don't know if volume alone can save Ertz.  I don't believe.  

I personally hate two holding two TEs.  This is probably the week I drop.  I'd rather take a flier on someone like La'Mical Perine, if that gives folks some idea of where I see Ertz's value.  

• Thanks 1

On 10/16/2020 at 7:23 PM, Heizz said:

Hows everyone feeling?

10 targets, 4/33 and now questionable to return.  ugh.

17 hours ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Is it weird/wrong that I kinda hopes his injury is somehow a season ender?

Well, you never want to wish a bad injury on someone.

That said, the injury for me was finally enough for me to not only sit but dump him onto the waiver. It's a refreshing feeling, even with his 10 targets this week.

I'm ready to play the carousel. I just can't stand the week in/week out misery of having him in my lineup. I may pick Goedert up when he comes back, but I'm finally free of Ertz this year! 

• Like 1

Dude got rage dropped in my league this morning - can't even blame the owner.

Ertz was always solid for fantasy because he received volume and could get separation.  Now, he doesn't either the targets and his skills have seem to regress.

Almost zero upside athletically and goes down on first contact...he's become the JAG of TEs.

On 10/16/2020 at 9:33 PM, Rainyy said:

I feel exactly how Zach Ertz ranks as a TE, terrible.  

Guys, it's been like 3 weeks now where Ertz has had NO competition for targets.  This isn't a new development.  The volume opportunity has been there; Ertz and the Eagles offense have failed.  

Unfortunately, I have watched a fair amount of Eagles' drives this year.  This isn't the case of Ertz being triple covered every play.  He's simply failing to get separation from single coverage against linebackers. He's badly lost every coverage matchup this year.  

I can't stress this enough.  Ertz has looked terrible.  He was never a good RAC player, but this year he looks like the slowest TE in football.  He just can't get open.  

The other issue is that Ertz runs some of the shortest routes, on average, among TEs.  He's rarely running downfield for big plays.  He's the safety valve who operates 5 yards from the QB.  

So let's see:  (1) a player who can't get open; (2) that plays on a mediocre, at best, offense, and (3) with virtually no big play potential, either in terms of depth of targets or run after catch.  I don't know if volume alone can save Ertz.  I don't believe.  

I personally hate two holding two TEs.  This is probably the week I drop.  I'd rather take a flier on someone like La'Mical Perine, if that gives folks some idea of where I see Ertz's value.  

If you have watched a lot of games, maybe you can help me with this answer.  All I keep reading is how teams are not double/triple teaming Ertz.  But are the putting a great coverage safety or big, agile CB on him because they don't need to use those guys on any of the WR's?  In other words, I'm wondering if he is doing worse not because teams have extra guys on him, but because they can afford to put better guys on him. 

1 hour ago, ludawg23 said:

Dude got rage dropped in my league this morning - can't even blame the owner.

Ertz was always solid for fantasy because he received volume and could get separation.  Now, he doesn't either the targets and his skills have seem to regress.

Almost zero upside athletically and goes down on first contact...he's become the JAG of TEs.

I'd imagine he's getting dropped in most leagues unless they are deeper. The warning signs were definitely there coming into the season. He had been losing work to Goedert as Philly had his ready made replacement. He wanted his money, he was never getting it. It's a bad situation all around. I could see him moving on and maybe bouncing back some.