Boudewijn

D.K. Metcalf 2020 Outlook

A couple takeaways from this game for me:

Seattle's defense sucks

Arizona's offense is even harder to contain than I thought. Kyler Murray is a lot better than most people probably think 

DK Metcalf is an absolute beast. That play where he ran 70+ yards to stop a 90 yard pick six. Absolute manchild. That screen play just now (and him running 22 mph across the screen to stop that pick 6) proved to me that they need to start manufacturing plays where he can catch, have blockers, and outrun people. Give him space and some blockers and he can probably outrun the entire defense to the house. Lockett went off in part because Arizona put Patrick Peterson on DK for the most part. I think this game was good for Metcalf's prospects ROS. Lockett proved he can hurt you if you try to solely key in on DK (and the Seahawks can put up points if you do), and I'm sure the coaches, if they're not stupid, now see that if you set up DK with blockers he will do serious damage. More than just a deep threat. And he surely gained a lot of respect leaguewide for that defensive play. 

2 minutes ago, cbsholy said:

A couple takeaways from this game for me:

Seattle's defense sucks

Arizona's offense is even harder to contain than I thought. Kyler Murray is a lot better than most people probably think 

DK Metcalf is an absolute beast. That play where he ran 70+ yards to stop a 90 yard pick six. Absolute manchild. That screen play just now (and him running 22 mph across the screen to stop that pick 6) proved to me that they need to start manufacturing plays where he can catch, have blockers, and outrun people. Give him space and some blockers and he can probably outrun the entire defense to the house. Lockett went off in part because Arizona put Patrick Peterson on DK for the most part. I think this game was good for Metcalf's prospects ROS. Lockett proved he can hurt you if you try to solely key in on DK (and the Seahawks can put up points if you do), and I'm sure the coaches, if they're not stupid, now see that if you set up DK with blockers he will do serious damage. More than just a deep threat. And he surely gained a lot of respect leaguewide for that defensive play. 

I dont understand that mentality though. DK is a stud WR. It's not like Deon Sanders was on him.

5 minutes ago, mulhollandvelvet said:

He's a beast but the brutal schedule and low target share will lead to duds like this. 

Yep. Still an auto start tho

8 minutes ago, Boogerloo said:

I dont understand that mentality though. DK is a stud WR. It's not like Deon Sanders was on him.

I think this game just proves that they need to actually manufacture plays for DK instead of simply reading when he's open or has separation on a route. Set up a play for him with blockers. Throw him screens. He can take it to the house if he has any space to work with. He proved it when he ran down Budda Baker on that unreal interception return as well as on the what-would've-been game winning TD that got called back for holding on Moore. If you give him an open field, he will not be caught.

Obviously he can get separation against the best as he's already proven, but if the coaches have eyeballs like the rest of us, after watching this game tape he's clearly even more of a freak than even the most bullish DK Metcalf fans believed and knew him to be.

They sent him deep 90% of the time instead of using him on slants. He’s unstoppable on those screens as well.

They deserved to lose. GTFO with that BS usage. I get Lockett eating in the first half but Metcalf should have been used more in the second half. 

• Like 7

Russ didn’t look his way nearly as much as he should’ve; one play almost won them the game. I’m just curious as to does that catch that was negated by the hold count? That won me the week if it does. 

2 minutes ago, ShopHeirlooms said:

Russ didn’t look his way nearly as much as he should’ve; one play almost won them the game. I’m just curious as to does that catch that was negated by the hold count? That won me the week if it does. 

No, it absolutely does not. A play never counts if the team is penalized for it.

Just now, dmody91 said:

No, it absolutely does not. A play never counts if the team is penalized for it.

That’s what I thought as well. It says 2 catches for 23 yards though, that was the only game on, they adjust the stats swiftly but that’s what it was adjusted to. I’m confused lol. Idk whether to breathe a sigh of relief or cry for going to have lost by .3 in the morning when they adjusted it (if they do).

9 minutes ago, ShopHeirlooms said:

It did count; he got credited with 6 yards on it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

They sent him deep 90% of the time instead of using him on slants. He’s unstoppable on those screens as well.

They deserved to lose. GTFO with that BS usage. I get Lockett eating in the first half but Metcalf should have been used more in the second half. 

I saw him lining up in the slot a lot. Especially first quarter. 

4 minutes ago, ninersdd said:

It did count; he got credited with 6 yards on it.

Word, I see. Isn’t it supposed to be negated because of the hold?

1 minute ago, ShopHeirlooms said:

He was downfield when it happened, so he got credit for it. 

6 minutes ago, Boogerloo said:

I saw him lining up in the slot a lot. Especially first quarter. 

Most of his routes in the slot were streaks across the field not slant. Also, in the first half he did lineup in the second not as much. 

Seattle needs to do more of those Demaryius Thomas-style bubble screens like they almost won the game with at the end there, if he gets the blocks or breaks a 1 on 1 DK's a pretty good bet to take those to the house. 

Edited by vercrazy
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, ShopHeirlooms said:

Since the hold by Moore happened after the catch he gets credit for the yards up to the spot the hold occurred. (6 yards for that catch) 

• Like 2

The catch counts.  Notice that the penalty walked back the yards from the spot of the foul.  Penalty had nothing to do with making the catch happen.  It counted, as did the yards to the point of the foul.

So yeah to the guy who wins with that catch you should be good and it should stand.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Since the hold by Moore happened after the catch he gets credit for the yards up to the spot the hold occurred. (6 yards for that catch) 

Wow, a week winning catch. If you’re right, I love you lol. I can go to sleep now. All my fellow DK managers, we’ll be fine. Russ has to put the ball in his hands. Don’t mind this blip. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ShopHeirlooms said:

Wow, a week winning catch. If you’re right, I love you lol. I can go to sleep now. All my fellow DK managers, we’ll be fine. Russ has to put the ball in his hands. Don’t mind this blip. 

That's crazy if you won like that..it's just becoming the norm with these occasional big duds from elite WRs. I mean, Tyler Lockett had 6 catches for 83 yards in the 2 games combined before this game and he's a really really good player. So, so many good WRs in this league. Teams are just stacked with options to throw to. Even some bad teams have really deep WR corps these days. Gotta just chalk it up, it's become pretty unavoidable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, InVINCEable said:

I’m glad they lost. Serves them right for barely looking his way all game.

Lol they didn't ignore him on purpose

• Like 1

First matchup this year vs a defense that wasn't a creampuff matchup for him and promptly shutdown.

Don't get me wrong, still a beast but he is not going to give you the consistency he gave you the first 5 weeks of the year with his remaining schedule and underlying inefficiency with his 54.5% catch rate on the year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1