urban2014

Josh Rosen 2020 Outlook

54 minutes ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

College is the minor league for this sport.

No it isn't. College is big business, players don't get paid, and the top athletes hardly get a college education. At least in the minor leagues the players get some pay.

I have no idea how the Cardinals thought taking a guy that looks like dollar store Jay Cutler was a good idea. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/27/2020 at 2:47 PM, predator_05 said:

Word gets around. He's from an upper class jewish family. His background counted against him, as people were asking; "is he coachable?", "Does he even like football?", "Is he a good leader?", among other things: https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/05/nfl-combine-2018-news-josh-rosen-shaquem-griffin-mmqb-peter-king

A lot of this was off the record, granted...but it makes sense when you notice how notoriously picky the NFL can be when it comes to the 'profile' of their athletes. And Rosen definitely doesn't fit the mould.

Can't really complain about this, as the NFL is [mostly] fair and meritocratic in nature. Rosen probably just isn't good enough. He's lost 2 years of his career on two awful teams, a knockdown that's nearly impossible to recover from.

There's probably some truth to the 'rumors'. I remember reading something about how Fitzpatrick ate lunch with the linemen, had the trust of his teammates, and took the decision out of the coaches hands just by being more 'likeable'. The team didn't want to play hard for Rosen. Sometimes its like that.

NFL scouts and evaluators have their misses, but they usually get it right with QBs. Far too much time spent on analyzing the QB position. Even the smaller details, like the ones mentioned above, can make a difference. Especially if its commonly-held opinion within the league.

I like Josh, i hope he does well...but its not looking good for his career at the moment.

Most of these clowns also thought Lamar Jackson should play WR or RB.  Remember that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

No it isn't. College is big business, players don't get paid, and the top athletes hardly get a college education. At least in the minor leagues the players get some pay.

So there is another league the nfl pros scout?

35 minutes ago, PizzaBeerFF said:
5 hours ago, Boudewijn said:
6 hours ago, PizzaBeerFF said:
7 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

It's funny to me how scared the NFL is of smart players, especially given the farce of putting players through college first.

College is the minor league for this sport.

So there is another league the nfl pros scout?

Oh, it's definitely a development league, but let's not call it a minor league. TIn a minor league guys can grow, they get paid, they play for smaller crowds, they can go back and forth a bit, until you find your level. The MLB minor leagues in the US work absolutely fine. Almost every European soccer league has some structure of minor leagues, and that works. Maybe all Rosen needs is a couple more years at the minor league level, or maybe his team would in fact need that.

But that's not how it works in College. Some players in College will play for bigger crowds than they'll ever do in the NFL (the top 15 stadiums are College), top College coaches make similar money to  top NFL coaches, top Colleges make more profit than some NFL franchises (Notre Dame in 2019 made three times what the Packers made), etc etc etc. That's not minor at all.

College at the highest level is bloody Big Business - and yet the players don't make a single penny. If they make a penny they get kicked out! (Except we all know what's really going on, and we pretend it isn't.) Yes, theoretically they receive a "college education" (and we all know they don't)  and theoretically they can make millions in the NFL, but ask Eric Crouch how that worked out for them, or any number of players that got injured before every playing.

</soapbox>

Sorry about that, but as much as I like watching College Football, there is something incredibly unfair about it that I can't shake off. The interesting thing is that Rosen questioned exactly these things, and then people concluded he doesn't love Football enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Couldn't have said it better myself.  CFB is a racket.  It pays off handsomely for the 1% of players who can go pro in the NFL after their college career.  For the rest?  Not so much.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Couldn't have said it better myself.  CFB is a racket.  It pays off handsomely for the 1% of players who can go pro in the NFL after their college career.  For the rest?  Not so much.

5 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

College at the highest level is bloody Big Business - and yet the players don't make a single penny. If they make a penny they get kicked out! (Except we all know what's really going on, and we pretend it isn't.) Yes, theoretically they receive a "college education" (and we all know they don't)  and theoretically they can make millions in the NFL, but ask Eric Crouch how that worked out for them, or any number of players that got injured before every playing.

</soapbox>

Not entirely true. Alumni network (and boosters) usually chip in.

College is more about networking than education anyway. No different from joining a frat, you develop long-lasting connections which can [potentially] carry you through a phase of your life. At least, that's how it is in this country.

Josh Rosen may not get another chance.  He has had two.  Most good college QBs do not even get one chance to shine in the NFL.

On 6/1/2020 at 11:58 PM, Boudewijn said:

It's funny to me how scared the NFL is of smart players, especially given the farce of putting players through college first.

The NFL wants automatons. Most major sports for that matter. Toe the line. Don't ruffle any feathers. ABSOLUTELY don't challenge the official narrative.

On 6/3/2020 at 7:55 PM, this guy right here said:

The NFL wants automatons. Most major sports for that matter. Toe the line. Don't ruffle any feathers. ABSOLUTELY don't challenge the official narrative.

Oh yeah 2 QB starved franchises decided they didn't want a franchise QB because of this 😂