Boudewijn

D.J. Chark 2020 Outlook

Anyone worried about gruden as the OC? The last guy loved to pass the ball. Was one of those “run thru the air” guys that was why fournette had so many catches and was fired from Minnesota and Jacksonville as OC in back to back seasons. they want to run the ball not check down to RBs.

Grudens redskins were usually bottom half in the league in passing attempts and never had RBs as good as fournette and armstead. His offenses never put up huge WR numbers either but I also believe chark is better than any wr he had in Washington. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

Anyone worried about gruden as the OC? The last guy loved to pass the ball. Was one of those “run thru the air” guys that was why fournette had so many catches and was fired from Minnesota and Jacksonville as OC in back to back seasons. they want to run the ball not check down to RBs.

Grudens redskins were usually bottom half in the league in passing attempts and never had RBs as good as fournette and armstead. His offenses never put up huge WR numbers either but I also believe chark is better than any wr he had in Washington. 

not if he plans to use him like he did Terry (or Crowder) - I just checked the WRs for the Redskins since 2014 and the list is pretty horrific, looking at a declining Garcon and an often injured DeSean Jackson. If Gruden falls in love with Chark (like he did with Terry in the preseason) it will be v good for fantasy. 

58 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

Not in the slightest/ I view it as an upgrade OC-wise.  AP is still better than LF as well at age 57.

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, BMcP said:

Not in the slightest/ I view it as an upgrade OC-wise.  AP is still better than LF as well at age 57.

To those who went with the laugh-emoji-post way, any opinions to offer?

On 5/25/2020 at 10:27 AM, Flyman75 said:

“Not just questions about his ball skills, but also questions about his route tree. He was a “run a go route and chuck it deep” WR at LSU. I’m honestly a little surprised by what he did last year and am still skeptical that he can reproduce it. But, I was very happy to see it and am definitely rooting for DJ. Superbly athletic kid who will likely be in the NFL a long time, but I still have my doubts that he’s a WR1...or a guy that I want to count on as my WR1. Looking at his game log, he had 7 games in which he had 4 or fewer receptions and 53 or fewer yards, including 3 of his last 4 games. Over his final 7 games, he had only 34-348-2, and this was not because of injury. I wouldn’t mind Chark being my WR2, but I just don’t see consistent WR1 in him.”

For some time LSU has been producing rec’rs that have made the transition. They run the west-coast offense, which is the system that’s on deck for Jacksonville. Those factors along with Chark entering what is often the breakout year, guarantee nothing. I’ve read that he wasn’t asked to run a full route tree at LSU and that he faced a lot of off-coverage, out of respect for his ability to separate & push downfield. The concern that he “may be limited to linear and rounded routes on the 2nd & 3rd levels” has everything to do with his height & weight. If DBs can jam him to disrupt the timing or re-route him, then contested quick-hitters are apt to be a problem. There were several articles yesterday, below is one. Here, Gruden suggests he can move Chark around the formation & find ways to utilize his size, speed & his ability to gain separation. Lots of things can go wrong, no doubt. For dynasty owners, if you don’t like... turn your head, don’t even look! The early part of the season could be that coming-together phase, injury aside, Chark won’t be overtaken by the younger WRs they just drafted. I’d see it through & then decide. 

“... D.J. Chark Jr. was undoubtedly the team’s most improved player ... leading the receiving corps with 73 catches for 1,008 yards and eight touchdowns. He also went to the Pro Bowl... Despite that success, coordinator Jay Gruden believes Chark is just scratching the surface and could be utilized in the slot just as well as on the outside. “He’s got the skill set with the size, speed and ability to come in and out of cuts,” Gruden said. “I think we can do a little bit more with him. I’d like to get him inside and do some more things with him in the slot. But he’s an excellent specimen. And the thing that I have come to know about D.J. in the limited time I got to meet him was that he’s hungry.” ... the slot is a spot that has seen a lot of production in Gruden’s offenses in the past. His last primary slot receiver, Jamison Crowder, accumulated 221 catches for 2,628 receiving yards and 14 touchdowns throughout the last four seasons while mostly playing at the position.“ https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2020/05/27/jay-gruden-says-he-would-like-to-utilize-d-j-chark-in-the-slot-more/

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BMcP said:

I was just laughing at you calling a 57 year old AP better than LF, wasn't a knock on your opinion. I think Gruden is going to be an overall positive for the offense. 

20 hours ago, BMcP said:

6 hours ago, mmcc1029 said:

I was just laughing at you calling a 57 year old AP better than LF, wasn't a knock on your opinion. I think Gruden is going to be an overall positive for the offense. 

tommy devito gif | Tumblr

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I like Chark and think he is majorly talented. The problem is he going to get the TD’s? I am not sure about that.

How did DJ Chark do with Minshew last year?

Was DJC Minshew's main target?  Or was it Dede?

I assume this offense is going to be a more pass happy and less run oriented offense under Gruden.

How long will Minshew maintain the starting QB role on this team?  I don't believe he's very talented and imagine if they go 2-8 he is probably yanked.  

Any of yall thinking DJC can improve upon what he did last year or do you think last year's numbers might be his career peak numbers?

Deeeee Jayyyy Chark do do dodo dodo

DJ Chark do do dodo dodo

Dj Chark do do dodo dodo

Deeeey Jayyyyy Chark

• Haha 1

No one cares about Minshew’s potential health issues?

10 minutes ago, BMcP said:

The season is over a month away

25 minutes ago, BMcP said:

No

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, paulwall29 said:

No

Tough but fair

• Like 1

Anyone mention the Jay Gruden AJ Green comparison yet? I'm sure.

Gardner may not quite be Dalton, but could feed this guy on a bad team that will need to pass. I like him as well at ADP. 

Posted (edited)

I’m a big fan of Chark. If Minshew plays the whole season I think he’s a WR1 this year. 

Edited by Breesus
  • Like 1

So DJ only had a handful more targets than Dede and there's a 130 ranking separation between the 2 players.

One of DJ's best games of szn came with Nick Foles at QB.  I think Minshew spreads the ball too much for there to be a 130 player ranking in between these 2.  

DJC did more with his receptions obviously, but I wouldn't be surprised if these 2 ended up being separated by less than 20-30 fantasy points at the end of the szn if both stay healthy.

I'm starting to consider Dede really hate and the upside of Hilton or Landry or DK around where DJC is being drafted.

Is that crazy?

• Like 1

Laviska Shenault will continue Dede Westbrook's slide into irrelevance. Chark did well enough to separate himself from the crowd before then, regardless of target share. I think some previous owners of Chark will be higher on him that others, so I could see a relatively inflated ADP,  but I sure wouldn't be looking at Dede as an alternative

50 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

Laviska Shenault will continue Dede Westbrook's slide into irrelevance. Chark did well enough to separate himself from the crowd before then, regardless of target share. I think some previous owners of Chark will be higher on him that others, so I could see a relatively inflated ADP,  but I sure wouldn't be looking at Dede as an alternative

Agreed- Dede is not happening. Super burned by him last year- totally overrated.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lolcopter said:

I'm not so sure about LS, I think he's grooming to be Conley's replacement.

I do feel like this is true for the point on DJC though.

He was a league saving waiver wire pickup in most deep leagues last year and with it you often have the inflated ADP over extreme love from many.

I meant to say REALLY HARD instead of REALLY HATE up above but it's too late to correct the typo.

I think Dede hate will come from those that were burned by him even though he was more or less the same guy playing with a different QB.

I hate drafting upside in garbage offenses, which is what I see happening for DJC this year the more I look it over.

I think there's going to be a ton more 3 WR sets played this year for the Jags under Jay Gruden and therefore with it... more snaps and opportunities for Dede.

Dede 130 picks later to finish within 25 points.  I've made my decision just typing this out.

Good luck all you DJC bois.

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, lolcopter said:

Agreed.  This Dede breakout has been coming for two years now,  and I think that ship has sailed.  The Shenault drafting is likely the nail in the coffin.  

16 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

So DJ only had a handful more targets than Dede and there's a 130 ranking separation between the 2 players.

One of DJ's best games of szn came with Nick Foles at QB.  I think Minshew spreads the ball too much for there to be a 130 player ranking in between these 2.  

DJC did more with his receptions obviously, but I wouldn't be surprised if these 2 ended up being separated by less than 20-30 fantasy points at the end of the szn if both stay healthy.

I'm starting to consider Dede really hate and the upside of Hilton or Landry or DK around where DJC is being drafted.

Is that crazy?

Dede just isn't that good. He was horribly inefficient with his abundance of targets last year