Boudewijn

James Conner 2020 Outlook

44 minutes ago, jhomes55 said:

I am in one laid back, Yahoo auto-draft 12 team league. 

Auto drafted Saquon/Conner and then picked up Johnson before the season started. Snell on waivers after Conner's "injury". Lol

Johnson was available after a 12 team auto draft?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sdlengua said:

Looks like a tweak. Watch the video on the post above. Let me know if you notice it. I definitely see Connor walking back gingerly to the huddle. Plays the next play, hit behind the line and then doesn't play anymore.

I don't know man. if you watch the very next play he does a spin move to to get away from a tackle and then a plant and cut (all for a 2 yard loss). Doesn't look like he's favoring any ankles there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jhomes55 said:

I am in one laid back, Yahoo auto-draft 12 team league. 

Auto drafted Saquon/Conner and then picked up Johnson before the season started. Snell on waivers after Conner's "injury". Lol

What kind of 12-team league has David Johnson as a FA leading up to week 1?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, yossarian said:

I don't know man. if you watch the very next play he does a spin move to to get away from a tackle and then a plant and cut (all for a 2 yard loss). Doesn't look like he's favoring any ankles there. 

Doesn't look super crisp coming out of that spin and then they start to mention how he was getting his ankle taped on the sidelines. Who knows at this point but I do see him walking gingerly back to the huddle, no denying that. Some mix of injury and attitude maybe. Hoping he comes out and plays like his job is on the line, because it is. Plus the O line looked improved later in the game so maybe the coaching staff figured out which plays work best. Guess we'll find all this out in short order.

• Like 3

I am hoping he has a big game so I can trade his fragile a$$ as fast a Jack traded a cow for those magical beans. 

• Steelers RB James Conner will play in Week 2 against the Broncos.

He participated in full for the second straight practice and was promptly removed from the team's injury report. He'll play against the Broncos, though it remains unclear if he'll enter the starting lineup as Pittburgh's bell-cow one last time. Benny Snell provided a spark off the bench in Week 1 but can't be considered anything more than a thin FLEX with handcuff upside until Conner's role (or another injury) is unveiled. Both are questionable plays for fantasy until we know more.

Sep 18, 2020, 2:35 PM ET

•  

So dog house confirmed. Start this bum at the your own risk

Edited by lolcopter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

ugh what a horrible situation, was he ever really hurt? so many unknowns going into Sunday. This feels like such a soap opera lol

32 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

So dog house confirmed. Start this bum at the your own risk

Nah, minor ankle tweak confirmed. 

This thread was on fire after the game on monday saying hes made of glass and hurt like always. As soon as it was revealed to be a common minor ankle tweak everyone changed their story to hes not hurt at all and now its attitude.

Whatever makes the Snell owners feel better. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, The G Man said:

He participated in full for the second straight practice and was promptly removed from the team's injury report. He'll play against the Broncos, though it remains unclear if he'll enter the starting lineup as Pittburgh's bell-cow one last time. Benny Snell provided a spark off the bench in Week 1 but can't be considered anything more than a thin FLEX with handcuff upside until Conner's role (or another injury) is unveiled. Both are questionable plays for fantasy until we know more.

•  

Way to not take a stand on this backfield...He should learn this doesn't get eyeball's on his content

34 minutes ago, The G Man said:

•  

One last time? Where is any confirmed reports that he is in danger of losing his starting job? Snell having a good game is not the first time a backup has had a good game in the history of the NFL. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, atdharris said:

One last time? Where is any confirmed reports that he is in danger of losing his starting job? Snell having a good game is not the first time a backup has had a good game in the history of the NFL. 

The Steelers have said nothing of the sort to my knowledge. This feels like speculation, the same kind rampant in here. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Moveless said:

The Steelers have said nothing of the sort to my knowledge. This feels like speculation, the same kind rampant in here. 

Right, Tomlin/the Steelers have not indicated at all that Conner's starting job is up for grabs. I think it's going to always be his unless he gets hurt because he's the only dual threat RB they have. Snell cannot catch passes and Samuels is a poor runner between the tackles. 

• Like 1

Anyone know what kind of pass blocking and receiving skills Snell has? As others have said, Tomlin likes having Conner on the field because he is not showing his hand to the defense. Conner may not be a superstar, but he is very well balanced. Solid runner, blocker, and receiver. Does Snell have those skills? Anyone? If not, I imagine Conner’s role is safe. 

I’m surprised to see so many people having faith in Conner, this definitely looks like a wait a week and see situation. I know most people with him probably can’t afford to bench him if he plays, but something really weird is going on with him right now. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Moveless said:

Nah, minor ankle tweak confirmed. 

This thread was on fire after the game on monday saying hes made of glass and hurt like always. As soon as it was revealed to be a common minor ankle tweak everyone changed their story to hes not hurt at all and now its attitude.

Whatever makes the Snell owners feel better. 

Guess you weren't in the GameDay thread. Everyone who watched the game was talking about it being his attitude and how he looked fine on the sideline. Then he practiced a couple days later and was cleared for week 2. 

This isn't hard. 

Have both Snell and Conner and would rather play either Z. Moss or C. Davis in the flex. 

Feel like no matter who I pick with Snell/Conner I'll pick wrong. Too much risk of a near goose egg.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Moveless said:

common minor ankle tweak

That must have been one crazy common minor ankle tweak to keep him out of the whole game like that!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JoeJoe88 said:

That must have been one crazy common minor ankle tweak to keep him out of the whole game like that!  

right, like if the tweak was that minor why did they keep him out the damn game. he was doing air jumps on the sideline at one point lol

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

The offensive line was playing terribly and there were no lanes blocked for Conner early on. The line didn't start blocking until the 2nd Quarter when Conner was out of the game and Snell was the beneficiary of that.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2020/9/18/21443888/film-room-the-steelers-run-game-was-all-about-the-line-in-week-1-james-conner-benny-snell-derek-watt

First of all I think the above article is a pretty persuasive multiplay video breakdown as to why Conner had so much trouble running to start the game. Cliff notes: like the rest of the offense, the o line was out of sorts in the first half. JC gets a mulligan here.

Also, if I remember right, didn’t Tomlin use Rashard Mendenhall and Johnathan Dwyer as bellcow RBs? 

If so, it seems like he’d continue to use either J Conner or Snell as a workhorse rather than split work.

I get Snell and Conner might be close in talent but how far apart were Mendenhall and Dwyer? 

Also, with a disruptive preseason and having to improvise O line starters, would switching to an RBBC be an unnecessary headache or not a problem? 

It seems unlikely to me that Tomlin would throw away a decade of offensive philosophy after reinforcing his preference for a workhorse back all offseason just because JC shot his mouth off after getting popped in the first quarter of the first game

Something weird is definitely going on with Conner and maybe Snell does supplant him but whichever one starts it seems like this would still be a bellcow backfield and not an RBBC.

At least I hope so 🤞

Edited by FreakFries
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, FinsUp24 said:

Anyone know what kind of pass blocking and receiving skills Snell has? As others have said, Tomlin likes having Conner on the field because he is not showing his hand to the defense. Conner may not be a superstar, but he is very well balanced. Solid runner, blocker, and receiver. Does Snell have those skills? Anyone? If not, I imagine Conner’s role is safe. 

This is it. Unless we are to believe Tomlin is going to suddenly start using RBBC, Conner is going to be the guy if he's healthy. He's a good pass blocker, receiver and runner. Snell is not a receiving threat at all and Samuels is not a good runner. Conner is not going to get benched for a RBBC with Samuels/Snell. 

3 minutes ago, kdpat15 said:

right, like if the tweak was that minor why did they keep him out the damn game. he was doing air jumps on the sideline at one point lol

We can speculate all we want. Maybe he wanted to go back in but the medical staff told him it was too risky? IIRC, last year, he tweaked his ankle only to come back in and hurt it even more, and he missed 3-4 games after that. Maybe they were trying to avoid that again? 

We can wonder all day and night, but nothing from Tomlin for Pittsburgh has suggested that Conner has lost his starting job to Snell. All we have heard is Tomlin thinks Snell could be the bellcow if Conner is hurt. 

• Like 3

Jesus have none of you twisted an ankle before? Minor ankle injuries can heal quick but that doesn't mean you should be playing football on one.

Seems perfectly plausible for him to be held out for two days to avoid making it worse.

Edited by TuckAndRolle
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Have both Snell and Conner and would rather play either Z. Moss or C. Davis in the flex. 

Feel like no matter who I pick with Snell/Conner I'll pick wrong. Too much risk of a near goose egg.

Starting David Johnson over Conner. 

Which means Conner is going for 110 yds/2 TDs.