James Conner 2020 Outlook

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Conner after seeing Snell's week one stat line

I don’t think I’d describe a cancer survivor who came back to play football a pussy but that’s just me. 

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, FantasyGuru24 said:

Lol .. yeah who knows. This virus is running wild right now. I think the sports guys are actually more protected than every day people 

That's obviously not true.  Might be true in the NBA where all the teams were staying in a hotel, and they didn't let anybody go in or out.  Rook that tried to sneak in some woman from the street got sent home.  In the NFL, with no bubble, you're relying on making smart choices.  Not only for yourself, the members of your household - but especially true for these athletes - your teammates and everybody around them.

Hard enough to stay safe just in your own immediate house.  Now you're relying on 100+ other families (including players and personnel) to do the right thing at home so you can walk around and play unmasked on the practice field.  That's an impossibility.

I'm surprised that Connor didn't opt out given his cancer history.  Lots of other guys opted out for seemingly less.  

Back to the football.  If he is out, I wonder if they take a longer look at McFarland.  

8 hours ago, CooL said:

That's obviously not true.  Might be true in the NBA where all the teams were staying in a hotel, and they didn't let anybody go in or out.  Rook that tried to sneak in some woman from the street got sent home.  In the NFL, with no bubble, you're relying on making smart choices.  Not only for yourself, the members of your household - but especially true for these athletes - your teammates and everybody around them.

Hard enough to stay safe just in your own immediate house.  Now you're relying on 100+ other families (including players and personnel) to do the right thing at home so you can walk around and play unmasked on the practice field.  That's an impossibility.

I'm surprised that Connor didn't opt out given his cancer history.  Lots of other guys opted out for seemingly less.  

Back to the football.  If he is out, I wonder if they take a longer look at McFarland.  

Agreed that it's definitely not safer: they just know sooner if they've got it.

10 hours ago, Chippa said:

daily reminder that this guy defeated cancer SO YOU KNOW HE'S SUPER STRONNGGGG AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH LOOK AT HIS MUSCLES!

My biggest pet peeve is when people talk about "cancer" as if it is an uniform disease.  In reality, some cancers are imminently curable with near 100% five-year survival, while others are death sentences.  These are biologically different diseases, involving different genes, involving different types of tumors and parts of the body.  There is wild variance in disease progression, symptoms, treatment, affected area, diagnosis, prognosis, etc.  

Mentioning cancer generally communicates about as much information as saying "this guy is a survivor of a virus," when that virus could be the common cold or it could be Ebola.  

Sorry for the rant, but it's irritating to hear all of the "omg, why didn't Connor opt out given his cancer history" among pundits and fans alike.  Blood cancers tend to be some of the "better" cancers to get, with relatively high survival rates.  Most variants also tend to be curable (Connor had Hodgkin's lymphoma), although there is still considerable variance on a disease-by-disease basis.  They also tend to be relatively more common in young adults. 

This says nothing about Connor's treatment path and what he had to endure.  I have respect for anyone who has to go through a major illness, and I don't care to speculate about the specific toll on him.  However, I find it a bit discriminatory when some folks (not saying you are one of them), act like this guy is has a super weakened immune system by virtue of having "cancer" some years back.  

• Thanks 2
11 hours ago, ap0calypse said:

Can we stop taking the lazy way out by saying neither back-up as value and think critically?  Some people have multiple players out with covid.  What was an RB3 in 2019 is a solid RB2 over the next few weeks.  Snell was fed week 1,  McFarland might has some dark horse upside especially in PPR.  Conner was a cancer survivor and they might be more precautious with his recovery, so the guy who ends up winning this might start for people in the playoffs.

I don't think it's the "lazy way out". It's just being realistic about the situation. If Conner is out for an extended period of time the fact of the matter is there's not a running back on that roster that has shown they can be any sort of 1:1 replacement. Neither Snell nor McFarland is going to drop in and vacuum up his touches and suddenly find themselves with 20 touches a game. They'll probably just pass even more than they do now. 

There's no Pollard or Mattison or even a Mike Davis on this roster. 

Got to think this might be the end of his fantasy relevance this year. He misses next 2 games, Benny takes over, probably just hand Benny the keys ROS as Conner is on the final year of his deal and they probably want to see what they have in Snell. This sucks big time, but I do pray for a speedy & full recovery for Conner. 

3 minutes ago, sasnumberonefan said:

Got to think this might be the end of his fantasy relevance this year. He misses next 2 games, Benny takes over, probably just hand Benny the keys ROS as Conner is on the final year of his deal and they probably want to see what they have in Snell. This sucks big time, but I do pray for a speedy & full recovery for Conner. 

Not sure if you have watched many of the Steelers games, but, except for week 1 Snell has been terrible.  Connor isn’t losing his starting spot to Snell by missing 2 weeks.

I own both in my most important league, and my biggest concern is that McFarland will take a big role over the next 2 weeks.  Pitt has been going more pass happy as the season progresses. If McFarland can show that he can pass block, he may be the rb to own.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, sasnumberonefan said:

Benny takes over, probably just hand Benny the keys ROS as Conner is on the final year of his deal and they probably want to see what they have in Snell

The Steelers are in evaluation mode?  They're 10-0.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Yeah, I don't think anyone is taking over from Conner if he makes it back in 2020. They're making a Super Bowl run and want to keep winning for home field advantage. Snell should be a solid start for the next 2 weeks though. The bigger appeal to Snell(maybe McFarland too) is if Conner is out longer than 2 weeks. 

1 hour ago, sasnumberonefan said:

Benny Snail is a JAG, he isn’t very gd. Like the above poster said u must have not watched many Steelers games this yr, I’ve watched them all and Conners job is not in jeopardy especially from Benny Snail. Conner will be back on the field ASAP. I wouldn’t expect much from Snail in this next game or two, Steelers have been throwing more last few games than normal and it should only increase now that Conner is out. McFarland to me is more appealing fyi.

Edited by Tomei7
5 minutes ago, Everynameistaken said:

Since jk and ingram are eligible to play this week then conner should be eligible next week

I think there’s a required 10-day isolation so it depends when they tested positive. If you count 10 days from Saturday (when Conner tested positive) then the 10th day is Tuesday (after PIT’s week 13 game).  If you include Saturday in the 10 days then Monday is the 10th day. No idea just hopeful we can get him back for week 13...

Eta: if he can’t practice during those 10 days then it’s probably a lost cause for week 13, but hopefully there’s some clarity. 

Edited by LSUtiger
30 minutes ago, LSUtiger said:

I think there’s a required 10-day isolation so it depends when they tested positive. If you count 10 days from Saturday (when Conner tested positive) then the 10th day is Tuesday (after PIT’s week 13 game).  If you include Saturday in the 10 days then Monday is the 10th day. No idea just hopeful we can get him back for week 13...

Eta: if he can’t practice during those 10 days then it’s probably a lost cause for week 13, but hopefully there’s some clarity. 

Jk was positive Monday that makes it 9 days this wednesday

4 minutes ago, coleworld7 said:

I know reports said that we were awaiting a 2nd test, but regardless, theres no chance he plays for tomorrow's match right? this 2nd test would be more for next weeks matchup?

Yeah he's out this week

• Like 1
On 11/30/2020 at 6:59 PM, LSUtiger said:

Here are the rules:

Following a positive test, if the player is asymptomatic, he can return once:

• 10 days have passed since the initial positive test; OR
  • Five days have passed since the initial positive test and the player receives two consecutive negative PCR virus tests at least 24 hours apart within that five-day period

Following a positive test, if the player demonstrates symptoms, he can return when:

• At least 10 days have passed since symptoms first appeared; AND
  • At least 72 hours have passed since he last experienced symptoms

If the positive test was on Saturday, only 9 days will have passed by Monday's game.  So, he's out under that rule.  But is he symptomatic?  If not, he could play under the 5 day rule.

• Thanks 2