Rotoworld.com Forums

James Conner 2020 Outlook

2 hours ago, Tugginroot said:

How are we feeling about him RoS?  Think they'll go away from him cause he's gone at the end of the season?  Rest him for the real playoffs?  Lingering Covid restrictions with his health history?  Lots of questions.

I think the Steelers trust him the most in pass protection so he should continue to see the most snaps like her was but with the Steelers passing this much his ceiling is much lower compared to the middle of the season. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Conner after seeing Snell's week one stat line

I don’t think I’d describe a cancer survivor who came back to play football a pussy but that’s just me. 

Posted Images

4 hours ago, MagikarpeDiem said:

why ease him in?  It’s not like he’s hurt.  Couldn’t he even play this week?

He tested positive for covid so depends how he is feeling/has/had any symptoms. 

Some players don't get many symptoms while some do. Dalton was out a while after getting it. 

Edited by vthokie3
2 hours ago, cerealntacos said:

Not sure if anyone else mentioned this, but Conner is a cancer survivor, who knows how COVID effects him. Either way, kid is tough and this break may have given time for his other injuries to heal.

Yes, we know

Edited by Chippa

Yep, after watching the game last night I am not worried about Snell taking any snaps/touches from him any more. Snell sucks. Steelers coming off a loss where they clearly and sorely missed having a legitimate run game. Think they try to go back to their roots, run the ball and play D against a tough Buffalo team next week. I’m firing up (assuming he is truly fully recovered from COVID) with no hesitation next week. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sasnumberonefan said:

Yep, after watching the game last night I am not worried about Snell taking any snaps/touches from him any more. Snell sucks. Steelers coming off a loss where they clearly and sorely missed having a legitimate run game. Think they try to go back to their roots, run the ball and play D against a tough Buffalo team next week. I’m firing up (assuming he is truly fully recovered from COVID) with no hesitation next week. 

Agree.

Been carrying Snell. Was so unimpressed with him I may drop him.

Steelers honestly are morons. They are wasting a great defense not focusing on the run and leaning more on teams. Their offense is lame. How many times are they going to throw horizontally either at the line of scrimmage or behind it? And how many times are their WRs going to drop the ball.

What's his name said it all game too...you keep doing this and Ben's going to get a ball tipped and then an INT. Bingo.

I seriously hope this is a wake up call for the Steelers.  They've been winning in spite of themselves for weeks.  Garbage game plans on offense being bailed out by the defense and Chase Claypool. 

Running a balanced offense is going to work so much better for them IMO.  Keep Ben healthy and keep your defense fresh.  Blow out teams like Baltimore, Washington, Dallas like you should.  What makes it so ponderous is that Tomlin is one of the greatest coaches in the game - why on Earth does he think throwing it 50 times with your old, slow, injury prone QB is a good idea?

• Like 1

Didn't watch the game, but am a disappointed Conner owner. Is their offensive line in tack? 

Living in flyover country, I don't see many Steeler games.

They have some games where Conner has a nice ave (titans,Browns,Texans) and others where Conners ave is 1.5 (Giants), 2.9 (eagles), 2.4 (Cowboys), 2.8 (Bengals).

Are the bad games a result of O-Line being injured? The Cowboys def has been run thru by most teams and the Steelers could not get it done (9-22, long of 6. I know the game script Pitt got way behind).

The Bengals run defense isn't much better and it was a blow out. Yet Conner was only 13-36 with a long of 16. 

So my long winded question is can Pitt really run the ball consistently with their current O-Line? It is one thing to want to and another to execute. I get the feeling that they have so many good receiver options, they just start doing what they do best. And Conner watches from the sideline.

3 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

I sense Conner owners really despise the Steelers strategy of throwing the ball which seems to be working alright for them. 

Yes, because losing to a pretty significantly inferior Washington team and squeaking out wins against teams full of practice squad players and backup quarter backs is a great indicator for success.  They should be rolling these teams by 20.  And at least trying to keep their QB healthy; we've seen what this team looks like without him - it's not great.

10 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

I sense Conner owners really despise the Steelers strategy of throwing the ball which seems to be working alright for them. 

... it's Ben's strategy, not the team's. 

he calls the shots, Teflon Tomlin is just a figurehead there to spew cliches and "TOUGH FOOSBALL GUY!!1!111!" comments at pressers. 

what Ben wants, Ben gets ... which is why this team never beat Belichick/Brady when it mattered, and why they will never lay a glove on KoolAid/'Homie. 

Edited by pastorofmuppets2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

They've been living on borrowed time for a bit playing inferior competition. Not going to work if they want to go anywhere in the playoffs.

As a Steeler fan, this is the worst run blocking line I've ever seen. That's including those late 2000's lines. I don't think the Steelers lack of running the ball is because they don't want to or because the coaches are too stupid to realize passing the ball 50 times a game won't cut it come playoff time. I just think the coaches realize this line is physically incapable of effective run blocking. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Andy Mick said:

As a Steeler fan, this is the worst run blocking line I've ever seen. That's including those late 2000's lines. I don't think the Steelers lack of running the ball is because they don't want to or because the coaches are too stupid to realize passing the ball 50 times a game won't cut it come playoff time. I just think the coaches realize this line is physically incapable of effective run blocking. 

That’s what they want you to believe. Conner was great at the beginning of the season. They’ve had a few tough games, but they still abandon the run altogether way too early. Maybe this is Ben’s way of saying he’s going all out in his final year and throwing it over 500 times.

9 minutes ago, Andy Mick said:

This is just like the Bills for example, they are great in pass protection but garbage at run blocking and are game planning to throw the ball a ton.

Big Ben has only been sacked 10 times this year which is pretty impressive.

47 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

This is just like the Bills for example, they are great in pass protection but garbage at run blocking and are game planning to throw the ball a ton.

Big Ben has only been sacked 10 times this year which is pretty impressive. 

This has more to do with Ben throwing quick short passes. His average depth of his throws is by far the shortest in his career. 

The Steelers were at their best when they had a more balanced approach in weeks 2-7

In those 5 games Conner was:

89 carries-442 yards-4.97 ypc-4 TDs

And he added 13 catches for 104 yards

Since then they have been extremely pass heavy and let the Titans, Cowboys, Jaguars, and Covid Ravens hang around far too long and then shot themselves in the foot last night vs the Washington Football Team  

Edited by johnnyboy8102
6 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

This has more to do with Ben throwing quick short passes. His average depth of his throws is by far the shortest in his career. 

The Steelers were at their best when they had a more balanced approach in weeks 2-7

In those 5 games Conner was:

89 carries-442 yards-4.97 ypc-4 TDs

And he added 13 catches for 104 yards

Since then they have been extremely pass heavy and let the Titans, Cowboys, Jaguars, and Covid Ravens hang around far too long and then shot themselves in the foot last night vs the Washington Football Team  

The problem is that when they go pass-heavy, they don't throw the ball to Conner. He should be getting a boatload of targets and 5 or 6 catches on the regular. He's barely getting one or two dumpoffs per game.