pushaZ

Darnell Mooney 2020 Outlook

5th round pick for the Bears, currently behind Ted Ginn Jr. for the slot but I have a feeling it won't stay that way, assuming Anthony Miller lines up more outside.

Very small frame but a shifty, speedy performer with great change of direction and good playerprofiler metrics (92nd percent breakout age, 72nd percent College Dominator, 96th percentage 40 time at 4.38.)

Foles will be the starter IMO without a doubt. I don't have Foles 2019 target distribution metrics, but before then he targeted slot receivers at the 6th highest rate in the league.

Can he be the WR version of Tarik?

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, pushaZ said:

Very small frame

Darnell_WEb.png

Yeah, no kidding.

Can he be the WR version of Tarik?

I am a huge fan of Tarik the real life player and person, but Nagy seems unable to use him consistently. 

currently behind Ted Ginn Jr. for the slot but I have a feeling it won't stay that way, assuming Anthony Miller lines up more outside.

Based on which depth chart? What you say makes sense but OurLads (and I find them generally accurate) sees it differently.

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/CHI

Edited by Boudewijn

Thinking about taking a flier in dynasty

The landing spot obviously sucks, but I liked the talent a lot pre-draft and had him on the radar as a dart throw even when I expected 7th round capital so going earlier than that (if still day 3) didn't lower my stock on him much. I am averse to speedsters early in drafts; but this late, a 4.38 guy with an elite breakout age, efficient production (18 yards per reception) and solid dominator rating--all on a run heavy college team with poor QB play--catches my eye.

His PlayerProfiler comp is Paul Richardson--which I see some of in his tape, but he lacks any of the injury red flags that derailed Richardson's career after a somewhat promising start. With that said, on the higher end, I see some versatility and dynamic ability as a playmaker that reminds me of Tyler Lockett in his Kansas State days--though with less usage. Assuming he can beat out camp body Ted Ginn, there is Taylor Gabriel's starting role opposite Allen Robinson for the taking (I think Riley Ridley is more of a slot guy to back up Miller). Also worth remembering that Nagy--though having his questions as a head coach--was big on the speedy versatile types from his KC days, especially when they have the downfield ability Mooney offers. 

As for the landing spot, there is no question it could be better, but remember that Nagy had to trim his playbook quite a bit due to Trubisky's shortcomings in reading defenses/remembering plays. Foles, for all his inconsistency, has never been afraid to chuck it deep (which could hurt Cohen and Monty's pass catching impacts), and at his peak with John DeFilippo in Philadelphia, was able to support 3 (kind of) fantasy relevant options in Ertz, Agholor and Jeffery. He does like TEs a lot, but I can't see rookie Kmet doing much and Jimmy Graham looked pretty washed to me last year.

Not on redraft radars though

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, he is playing starter snaps and emerging as the clear #2 target. Deep leagues and esp dynasty leagues need to take a little notice here. He has some talent.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Well, he is playing starter snaps and emerging as the clear #2 target. Deep leagues and esp dynasty leagues need to take a little notice here. He has some talent.

Decent dart throw in dynasty leagues but only 3 targets each game so far.  

Posted (edited)

I personally think this guy is a future star. 

Great route running chops, amazing open field skills shaking defenders out of their cleats, can high point the ball well, great top end speed.

Kinda reminds me of this year's Diontae Johnson. No one really is gonna give a crap about him this year due to the QB situation. If that changes next year, look out.

Would not be surprised if he has a breakout game here in the coming weeks.

Edited by Dirtywater97
  • Like 3

If this kid plays, are we now viewing him as a stable wr3 with Foles? Bears fans, is Mooney playing out of the slot? Too early to rank this kid ahead of guys like Aiyuk (lack of volume) and Shenault? 

2 minutes ago, firsttimer said:

If this kid plays, are we now viewing him as a stable wr3 with Foles? Bears fans, is Mooney playing out of the slot? Too early to rank this kid ahead of guys like Aiyuk (lack of volume) and Shenault? 

Mooney (20.2% in the slot) and Robinson (24.1%) usually play out wide. Anthony Miller (85.4%) is their slot receiver.

The Bears like Mooney, but he likely will always be a boom bust option based on his size (176 lbs) and speed (4.36 40). He's not a stable WR3. 

Aiyuk and Shenault are built like RBs and will be stars if they stay healthy.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, firsttimer said:

Nope. Chicago's offense barely functions and all of the fantasy goodness is going to go to A-Rob. Mooney may have a couple nice moments, but you can do much better than him as a WR5/6.

Posted (edited)

Foles air mailed a wide open bomb to him for an easy TD. Then he had to make 2 plays most CBs in this league couldn't make to break up interceptions. May have got hurt as well - he was getting looked at on the sideline. 

Still out snapped Miller. 

Do not let the boxscore fool you.

Great buy low in Dynasty or get him thrown in as an add in. Trubisky's contract is up after the season, Foles isn't the answer. They are going to do something at QB this offseason.

Edited by Dirtywater97

It's a pretty sweet looking package.

His routes and how he works in/out of his breaks--I had no idea he was this advanced. His speed is awesome (3rd fastest forty time in draft)...

I have seen him simply dust a number of CBs last few weeks. If they figure out their QB and coach situation, nice sleeper next year.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

He was open almost all night. In deep leagues he's probly worth a start games where Robinson is against a good corner

Edited by scheibler
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

It's a pretty sweet looking package.

His routes and how he works in/out of his breaks--I had no idea he was this advanced. His speed is awesome (3rd fastest forty time in draft)...

I have seen him simply dust a number of CBs last few weeks. If they figure out their QB and coach situation, nice sleeper next year.

💯, I totally see that Diontae Johnson, Stefon Diggs-esque smooth as silk route running. That's when I became REAL sold on him.

Edited by Dirtywater97
  • Like 2

Foles 😤

BTW Carlton Davis leads the league in INT.

The CB in the highlights against the Colts in the thread above is Xavier Rhodes who is in 2nd.

Edited by Dirtywater97

1 minute ago, Dirtywater97 said:

I thought about taking the prop on him too 😢

ya know, i wasn't watching the game, so ... this was one of those "it's best if ya never knew how close" losses 

🙁

Just grabbed him today, he should see lot's of targets with Robinson getting Rams Ramsey & Saints Lattimore next two games.

I don't think many can cover him one on one.  He's made some great corners look really bad. Such a shame he's on the Bears.

1 hour ago, Magoo said:

Go get him. Now.

I picked him up since I own A-Rob and not expecting him to play this week. The rest of waivers is thin this time of year, and I think he could be a decent fill-in if Robinson sits and you are desperate for a WR3/flex this week.

He's wide open every game. The problem is Foles can't even come close to hitting him

Edited by scheibler

Yeah he continues to look as impressive running routes as a guy can, Foles just usually can't manufacture enough time to get it to him.

The saints have a pretty good pass rush since getting Davenport back, so might be the same story this week...but they also excel at botching coverage and esp at giving up splash plays too. Might be a decent week to take a shot with the kid.

Edited by ST. STEVEN