sSektor

Damien Harris 2020 Outlook

Cam coming back In my opinion isn’t going to make his value better but the opposite. He is a TD vulture and always wants to keep the ball on option plays. Regardless though worth a waiver claim. See how it plays out. 

7 hours ago, HOF12 said:

Not going to lie when James white ran the ball he looked a lot better. 
lucky for Harris owners is that it’s a runningback carousel so any given week is his. 
jusy wish they would stick to 1 or at least 2 backs. 
mita so annoying to see them switch all 3 of them in there 

I mean the defense is playing the odds they are going to pass it, because they do 90% of the time with him in. Pats telegraph their plays it's really dumb in all honesty.

• Like 2

He looked fine. Not very fast/elusive but that's not his game. The biggest issue I saw was Burkhead was always in when they got to the red zone. Seems like they have 2 packages, one is Harris and the other is Burkhead/White on the field at the same time. And they favored the latter when they got close near the end zone, maybe because it gives them more play call options. It's one game but if that continues it greatly caps his upside. Although at least Harris owners won't have to worry about Cam vulturing him if he's not even in 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I thought he looked good. He's barely played in the NFL at all yet and last night he was mistake-free and productive. He did a good job of driving forward when he was hit with contact at the LOS. He looks strong and certainly faster than Sony. Hopefully he continues to get carries. The good thing is Sony and Rex aren't known to stay healthy for 16 games.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, HOF12 said:

Not going to lie when James white ran the ball he looked a lot better. 
lucky for Harris owners is that it’s a runningback carousel so any given week is his. 
jusy wish they would stick to 1 or at least 2 backs. 
mita so annoying to see them switch all 3 of them in there 

James White only received three carries. James White got 15 of his 21 yards rushing when the Pats were down 26-10 in the 4th quarter. Of course he would look good. The Chiefs would give up those minimal gains like that all day, up two scores with the clock working in their favor. White has been in the league for 7 seasons, we know who and what James White is. He is not a threat on early downs.

Lets not forget that Harris seemingly had this job locked up before his injury. Looking between the lines, it says a lot that the coaching staff would trust him with 17 carries so soon. He's only going to get better with a competent QB under center.

With Michel out of the picture, he's a no-brainer RB2 IMO.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'll state this again - why are people overthinking this?  In fantasy football you need to react to what's happening - Harris is the clear #1 back with Michel on the IR.  After not playing all of last year, and the first three games this year, he saw 17 carries yesterday with a YMCA-level QB throwing the football.

If you think Rex Burkhead is going to be their primary back - God Bless ya.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

If you think Rex Burkhead is going to be their primary back - God Bless ya.

I don't think anyone said that, but solid contribution to the discussion...

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, owenmills said:

He looked fine. Not very fast/elusive but that's not his game. The biggest issue I saw was Burkhead was always in when they got to the red zone. Seems like they have 2 packages, one is Harris and the other is Burkhead/White on the field at the same time. And they favored the latter when they got close near the end zone, maybe because it gives them more play call options. It's one game but if that continues it greatly caps his upside. Although at least Harris owners won't have to worry about Cam vulturing him if he's not even in 😁

He doesn't have crazy top end speed, but definitely enough.The agility and elusiveness I'm not quite sure because he was heavily favoring a power style. He has the uncanny ability where he always falls forward for that extra yard or so. I didn't see a run where he was pushed backwards. Bodes well for GL usage.

For him to to step up to the next level he really need to learn to bounce a few more of his runs to the outside and run away from contact a bit more if there is open space available.

His burst is very much so on display on his long run. Scoots right by the DBs punishing them for taking poor angles. He has average top end speed for a RB, but probably one of the lesser metrics that matter. This was one of the few plays where he actually had some decent blocking. He could of had another long run if he bounced it outside earlier in the game, but instead he chose to invite contact. 

Edited by Dirtywater97
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

I didn't see a run where he was pushed backwards. Bodes well for GL usage.

He's definitely built like a GL back. If they get it down to the 1-2 yard line maybe they would've pounded it with him. What I saw was they preferred the Burkhead package in the 5-20 yard line area. Small sample size and backup QB, so I definitely need to see more.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, owenmills said:

He's definitely built like a GL back. If they get it down to the 1-2 yard line maybe they would've pounded it with him. What I saw was they preferred the Burkhead package in the 5-20 yard line area. Small sample size and backup QB, so I definitely need to see more.

For sure, this is his first game back and really his only game ever even playing with the Pats.

I see two options really.

#1 he just fills the Sony role in the offense and that's all they use him for. 

#2 They gave him a smaller role to operate in as they incorporate him into the offense as he builds trust with BB. You have to remember this guy didn't play at all last season and Belichick makes you earn it. While they slowly expand packages and what he is doing every week.

The usage when he was actually in the game was light years ahead of the other RBs. When he was in he got the ball close to 85% of the time in comparison to the other RBs who played more snaps, but were featured less. That is the most promising thing to take away for me.

This feels different than the Sony/Gillislee log jam. It's as if the Pats have been waiting for him. 

This smells like Stevan Ridley (The good version) to me. 

• Like 1

It's too bad the Pats have a Week 6 bye week. Denver this weekend, then a bye, then Sony Michel should be back for a tough matchup against the 49ers in Week 7. We'll see how this plays out. Damien really has to standout this Sunday against the Broncos.

2 minutes ago, BeefDaddy said:

didn't think he looked good.. 1 big run, take it away and hes plodding

You can say that about most RBs. Big runs are part of the game.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, BeefDaddy said:

1.  He has every single skillset you want in a lead back outside of top level/elite speed

2.  Legit was playing against one of the elite teams in the game with a YMCA-level QB throwing the football

As I've mentioned - go ahead & not move to get him on your roster.  Those that were shrewd enough to already have him or stash him will reap the rewards.

Edited by IlliniGuy76
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BeefDaddy said:

Hell of a straight arm on that big run. He looked tough to me.  Not really elusive but the kids a banger.  You’re never sure what you’re going to get week to week with Pats RBs but I liked what I saw last night.  

Encouraging start but does anyone else get any Christine Michael vibes from him?

11 minutes ago, BeefDaddy said:

Ahhh...the old “take away that one run” argument. 

11 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

It's too bad the Pats have a Week 6 bye week. Denver this weekend, then a bye, then Sony Michel should be back for a tough matchup against the 49ers in Week 7. We'll see how this plays out. Damien really has to standout this Sunday against the Broncos.

I may be wrong, but I think Michel is pretty much done in NE. I know some people were encouraged by his 9-117 game, but that was the worst 117yd game ever. If he had any speed at all, he would have had a lot more yards and 2 TDs. 

11 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Ahhh...the old “take away that one run” argument. 

I may be wrong, but I think Michel is pretty much done in NE. I know some people were encouraged by his 9-117 game, but that was the worst 117yd game ever. If he had any speed at all, he would have had a lot more yards and 2 TDs. 

Yes to be honest, Sony Michel being sent to the IR kinda of felt like the Pats didn't need him with Damien Harris back in the mix. Perhaps his injury truly is significant but I wonder if he'll be a healthy scratch upon returning.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Does anyone even think Sony is actually hurt? 

Because I do not. Quite a convenient time to go to IR. 

Edited by Gandalfthecat

46 minutes ago, Vendetta said:

Encouraging start but does anyone else get any Christine Michael vibes from him?

A little early to dub Harris as the greatest RB of all time but yes I do get some CMIKE vibes

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Vendetta said:

I personally get CMAC vibes.

2 hours ago, Gandalfthecat said:

Does anyone even think Sony is actually hurt? 

Because I do not. Quite a convenient time to go to IR. 

If you watch his breakaway runs last week, you can see something was not right. He was very slow, and ran rather strangely. Ryan Clark tweeted out, asking who stole Michel’s knees (or something to that effect). Clark said it looked like he was running straight-legged, which (along with his lack of speed) could be explained by some sort of injury. 

Posted (edited)

Every single carry from the game

Around 1:30 is where he misses another huge gain by not bouncing it outside.

Edited by Dirtywater97
  • Thanks 1