sSektor

Damien Harris 2020 Outlook

This kid combines the skillsets that took 2 backs in NE to match.

He is a solid start ROS.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

Tough crowd in here. Expecting a second year back with 4 carries to his name, no offseason, no preseason, a few practices under his belt, to hit every hole and have instant chemistry with the offenive line all while playing with a JV quarterback against an underrated Superbowl champion defense. His 17 for 100 (outside of his big run) was subpar. Give me a break! Once Cam Newton comes back, it will be a whole new ball game. THIS is the new identity of the Patriots. Defense and pound it down your throat. It's the only way they can compete with Kansas City. They were doing a great job early on. Damien Harris has a chance to do some really big things in New England and I believe his role will only increase as he continues to earn the trust of coaches. Patriots were SUPER discreet about him starting and waited until the last possible moment to activate him. His girlfriend was the one who let the world know. They know they have a secret weapon on their hands. This 100 yard game was not a coincidence. Expect many more. Especially once Cam is back to open things up and keep defenses guessing. Quit worrying about the past. The Patriots haven't had a runner like this since Corey Dillon. No one was complaining about usage then. Enjoy if you have him rostered. You will be kicking yourself in the arse if you let the Chicken Little Types in the Waiver thread talk you into selecting Pittsburgh's third stringer over Harris. Jesus, I shouldnt have to tell you that. 

I'm going to hold you to it.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

this guy going to catch passes? doesn't need to be all of white's touches, but just 2 or 3 a game? please?

Edited by shenaulty

I don't think there's any question that he's worth an add...the issue is how high of a priority add would you make him? For someone with the #1 waiver spot, would you use that on Harris? What type of FAAB are we talking about? I'm not sure I'd be willing to use a top waiver spot or 30% of FAAB for him considering this backfield is so muddied + we know how NE can be with their RBs.  

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, southsid3 said:

I don't think there's any question that he's worth an add...the issue is how high of a priority add would you make him? For someone with the #1 waiver spot, would you use that on Harris? What type of FAAB are we talking about? I'm not sure I'd be willing to use a top waiver spot or 30% of FAAB for him considering this backfield is so muddied + we know how NE can be with their RBs.  

If you're not using your top priority on harris, what are you using it on? Guy appears to have first and second down on lock for the rest of the year for a good team that wants to run. One could make the argument that very little separates harris and Jonathon taylor at this point from a situation standpoint. White equals Hines and burkhead equals Wilkins. Taylor may very well be a better player, but very similar from a situation standpoint. Only diff is cam, who can vulture at the goalline. So both rb2s, but Taylor with a better ceiling. I'll burn my priority for that

Edited by ThunderDan
Typo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThunderDan said:

If you're not using your top priority on harris, what are you using it on? Guy appears to have first and second down on lock for the rest of the year for a good team that wants to run. One could make the argument that very little separates harris and Jonathon taylor at this point from a situation standpoint. White equals Hines and burkhead equals Wilkins. Taylor may very well be a better player, but very similar from a situation standpoint. Only diff is cam, who can culture at the goalline. So both rb2s, but Taylor with a better ceiling. I'll burn my priority for that

That's the thing: I'm not sure he even has first and second down on lock. Once Michel comes back, are you really that confident that doesn't considerably eat into touches? Hell, I wouldn't even be surprised if he didn't get double digit carries next week even with Michel out. 

I don't know - maybe I'm just jaded when it comes to Patriots RBs. If this were any other team/situation, then I'm probably not hesitating at all to burn the top waiver pick for this guy. He clearly passed the eye test last night and I'm not doubting the talent...just think the crowded backfield combined with the Patriot's history with RBs makes it not as clear as you make it out to be.

1 minute ago, southsid3 said:

That's the thing: I'm not sure he even has first and second down on lock. Once Michel comes back, are you really that confident that doesn't considerably eat into touches? Hell, I wouldn't even be surprised if he didn't get double digit carries next week even with Michel out. 

I don't know - maybe I'm just jaded when it comes to Patriots RBs. If this were any other team/situation, then I'm probably not hesitating at all to burn the top waiver pick for this guy. He clearly passed the eye test last night and I'm not doubting the talent...just think the crowded backfield combined with the Patriot's history with RBs makes it not as clear as you make it out to be.

Cant argue with any of that. Just my read on the situation. I think Sony is more than likely done. Rex and white are complementary pieces. Harris is the guy. If last night (17 carries and 100 yards in essentially his 1st game) doesnt convince you of that, I certainly wont be able to  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Gandalfthecat said:

Before Harris played: Stash him he could be a league winner!

After Harris played and ran for 100 yards: I don't know, is he really worth it? 

Truly befuddling. Wasn't that exactly was you were hoping for? It was for me. 

I do agree this is pretty funny, but I think it's more a case of the opposing sides commenting in this thread. Anyone who thought he'd be a difference maker is thrilled with the performance, whereas anyone who was skeptical because of situation, usage, RB depth, still has all those same concerns. 

Personally I think they're all legitimate concerns, so I'd hesitate to spend TOO much of my FAAB on him. 

There are VERY few strictly 1st/2nd down RBs who are fantasy relevant. It's essentially just Henry. 

Edited by BGDDYKWL
  • Like 1

Cam's return is gonna make this guy a beast.

The 40 yard run was just a taste of what he can do.  He bursts through that hole and I think surprises the defenders with his speed.

Those are the kind of looks he's going to get when Cam is back running the read option - backside DE is going to have to keep contain, and that will open up running lanes.

• Like 1

It's bittersweet. That hundo is promising, but then you remember that New England has two other running backs that they use, and an injured Sony Michel who will return at some point. I know me personally, I'm scarred from positive signs turning into garbage fantasy outputs.

ROS outlook, I'm excited. But I'm also in a must-win-now situation. Do you start him versus Denver this Sunday? 

5 minutes ago, dropshadows said:

Do you start him versus Denver this Sunday? 

I’m starting him over J.kelley. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JacobThunder15 said:

Corey Dillon

RW's take from Waiver Wired:

. Damien Harris, Patriots – Rostered in 31 percent of Yahoo leagues (8-10%)

Harris replaced Sony Michel (quad, IR) Monday night, handling the most carries (17) of any Patriots running back in any game this year. The issue is that he was used like Michel, carrying the ball on minimal snaps (23, 31%) while being completely overlooked (three routes) on passing downs. With no receiving upside to speak of and Cam Newton’s 11.7 carries per game set to return under center, Harris is simply a player to get by with until better options become available.

Recommendation: Should be rostered in 12-team leagues

Posted (edited)

If you’re belicheck knowing what you have for backups QB are you really running it in with Cam all the time? I’d dial it down at least a notch if I wanted a chance in the playoffs(assuming they get there) because you’re going to need Cam. 

Edited by LAeagle

Posted (edited)

We have a 1 week track record. Guy has never started a game for the Pats before. Bellichick doesn't thrust young players into big time roles until they've earned trust.

Considering that and how much they used him when he was actually on the field shows (touched the ball 75% of the time)what they think of him. He blew the other backs out of the water in that regard.

Yes the snaps aren't there. Nothing about that is predictive. Next week it could increase or the role could grow even further. No one knows at this point. 

We just got 17 carries for 100 yards with upside for even more. Worst case scenario he has the Sony role for now (never ran him this much).

Edited by Dirtywater97

2 hours ago, ThunderDan said:

If you're not using your top priority on harris, what are you using it on? Guy appears to have first and second down on lock for the rest of the year for a good team that wants to run. One could make the argument that very little separates harris and Jonathon taylor at this point from a situation standpoint. White equals Hines and burkhead equals Wilkins. Taylor may very well be a better player, but very similar from a situation standpoint. Only diff is cam, who can vulture at the goalline. So both rb2s, but Taylor with a better ceiling. I'll burn my priority for that

Harris looked really good last night. Quick to the holes and he showed good speed on his longer runs. However--it's a Bill Belichick Backfield. No running back EVER has anything on lock. Right as you start to get comfortable with a guy or think there is a discernable pattern he's giving 20 RB touches to Cordarella Patterson out of the backfield or some nonsense like that. 

Posted (edited)

Someone just to needs to find Cordarella’s glass slipper and we will all have clarity 

Edited by BMcP

he should only get better. expect a blow up game vs. broncos. 

29 minutes ago, brosephd said:

he should only get better. expect a blow up game vs. broncos. 

If Lock is out the game script should be very favorable for him. Still maybe even with him in there as well. One of the giant perks of him being on the Patriots is they have an amazing defense to keep him a running game relevant.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

[...] Yes, he looked good.  But I have to admit that the lack of receptions (in PPR) and fear of Cam running in the TDs concerns me.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed assistant coach content

Receptions aren't surprising to me, he's been to 1 practice since being on IR for 4 weeks. They're going to want him to run a ton of practice passing reps before gameplanning him for it.

5 hours ago, LAeagle said:

If you’re belicheck knowing what you have for backups QB are you really running it in with Cam all the time? I’d dial it down at least a notch if I wanted a chance in the playoffs(assuming they get there) because you’re going to need Cam. 

This X 100000

The Pats apparently only have one legit NFL QB on their roster and clearly cannot afford to get him killed running up the middle at the stripe all season.