Sign in to follow this  
wahoos1

Trade offer, redraft, should I get Buehler? WHIR

So been going back and forth with a guy in my league, he has offered Buehler, L. Gurriel, McCutchen  for P. Alonso, R. Laureano, M. Bumgarner. I know on paper it’s lopsided not for me, but I really want Buehler. I could move Muncy to first, Buxton to OF, and probably drop McCutchen for Y. Diaz to fill Utility spot. I’m not liking Madbum as my #2 starter, but am I giving up way to much, WHIR

I would think REAL hard before saying no to Alonso straight up for Buehler, so I think you're well past the necessary additions here...

• Thanks 1

Buehler is not as good as you think he is. He's a top 10 arm, not top 5. Heck no to this trade.

• Thanks 1

I don't think I would do it, but in redraft it is very tempting. Walker is a much needed upgrade over Bum, but Pete is a lot.

The argument I would make for doing it is that Pete could suffer that dreaded sophomore slump and if he comes out cold a short season just kills his value, Bum in a d-backs uniform as your #2 is not a good thing have, and that Walker and Gurriel should be pretty useful in a short season.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I tried Alonso for Buehler straight up and he didn’t take it, I think that with a short season you can afford to play hot hand hitters rather then waiting for guys to play through slumps, I’m on the fence but pairing Buehler with Castillo is very tempting.

Trade accepted, I gave Madbum, Alonso and Laureano for Buehler, L. Gurriel and R. McMahon. I hated giving Pete and Laureano but happy to get Buehler. Let’s hope we have a season to see if I screwed up 😆.

Posted (edited)

Didn’t like the deal for you to begin with, and even less that he replaced cutch with McMahon 

Edited by ASHLANDARROWS1992
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Keep both citi field & west coast counter, and move the snake for either cheese steaks or maple leaf straight up in a new deal. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Didn’t like the deal for you to begin with, and even less that he replaced cutch with McMahon 

Cutch was a free agent all year in our league until last week, I wouldn’t expect much from him this year

2 hours ago, wahoos1 said:

Trade accepted, I gave Madbum, Alonso and Laureano for Buehler, L. Gurriel and R. McMahon. I hated giving Pete and Laureano but happy to get Buehler. Let’s hope we have a season to see if I screwed up 😆.

Solid deal.

Buehler is a top pitcher.

Gurriel is very good.

Madbum is average, if that.

Pete is good, but a .250 hitter, who had a career hr/fb ratio imo.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, wahoos1 said:

Sprry but I think this was a bad move.  Trouble is IF the season is even played then you have very very few starts with Buehler in a short season.  Also after a regular, long spring training pitchers are notoriously kept on a short leash out of the gate not getting many innings in in the first few weeks.  Meanwhile Pete Alonso gets to play every day.

4 hours ago, wahoos1 said:

Cutch was a free agent all year in our league until last week, I wouldn’t expect much from him this year

He is all healed up and in a short season a vet benefits with fewer games I think since he won't have the problem of wearing down over a long grind.  Also if they use a DH for all teams this season which they have said they would go with then he can stay in more fresh getting some games at that position.

I also like Laureano because steals are at a premium period these days let alone in a sort season.

8 hours ago, wahoos1 said:

Not a fan of the deal myself either, think you gave up too much

8 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Sprry but I think this was a bad move.  Trouble is IF the season is even played then you have very very few starts with Buehler in a short season.  Also after a regular, long spring training pitchers are notoriously kept on a short leash out of the gate not getting many innings in in the first few weeks.  Meanwhile Pete Alonso gets to play every day.

He is all healed up and in a short season a vet benefits with fewer games I think since he won't have the problem of wearing down over a long grind.  Also if they use a DH for all teams this season which they have said they would go with then he can stay in more fresh getting some games at that position.

I also like Laureano because steals are at a premium period these days let alone in a sort season.

I see your point but let’s say they settle on 80 games, pitching every 5th day that’s still 14-16 starts, and if he’s on some kind of pitch count maybe that goes up a couple more starts. And your point with the DH is valid, but that just means there will be many more hitters getting regular at bats to choose from, none as good as Pete of course. 

Dont sweat it.

Pete is a regression candidate.

A 30.6% hr/fb ratio is unsustainable, and way above his minor league numbers.

Less hrs, means less average. With 53 hrs, he barely hit .260.

Steamer has him .252 44, which is best case scenario imo. Not to mention the 120 rbis, which wont repeat.

Madbum inst that good now, and is out of SF.

Gurriel will hit close to 30 hrs, with some steals, and a better average.

Plus you get a 1b, 2b, 3b who can hit 30 hrs.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, wahoos1 said:

just going by literally every projection site out there saying that cutch will outperform him this year

I think u got hosed. not sure why the guys u got get all the benefits of every doubt while u bash ur own guys. Dodgers will not start Buehler every 5 days he will get rest May and Gonsolin, Russ Stripler will get starts while he rests. Dodgers are a lock to be a playoff team even without expanded playoffs. Upgrading madBum to Buehler is huge but u really threw laureano in for no real reason.

I wouldn't have done the deal but kudos to you for having the guts to overpay for the guy you wanted.

Hope it works out.

Good Luck

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hailfire4 said:

Dodgers will not start Buehler every 5 days he will get rest May and Gonsolin, Russ Stripler will get starts while he rests. 

Hes had 5 months of regular off season off, plus 2 more months off because of covid. Any more rest, and he will be dead.

• Haha 2

as mentioned..i dont think buehler's value is as high this season due to the short season. Alonso was the better player in redraft but muncy is a solid cover at 1st so you're ok i guess. in a dynasty, i like buehler a lot

• Thanks 1

Moot point now, but you mentioned your partner rejected the trade straight up for Pete. I would have thrown in Bum since he was wanting him as well to see if he’d bite on that. Adding Laureano tipped the trade in his favor and was a bit much IMO.

Who knows, hindsight is 20/20. Good luck!

• Thanks 1