BrianM

Best ways to start your kid out in FF?

Hey all- hopefully this is the right place.   Anyone have experience recently with getting a kid into fantasy football?  My son asked me last season to get him in a league the next year, and I'm just brainstorming the best ways to do it.   He will be 11 in September.  He doesn't have anywhere near the league knowledge needed to do well, this is just a trainee type of phase.  I'd be surprised if he can name 20 of the top 100 fantasy players.   

Thinking a best ball MFL draft is a good start, but i also want him to get some real draft/weekly lineup experience too. Just looking for any suggestions from anyone with recent experience here.  

Not sure if this is an option for you but the first league I played in was a friends/family league that my Dad started to give me and my brother a team. If that’s not an option I would just find one or two free leagues on yahoo/espn and join with him, don’t cheat or anything but if you’re in them with him it will increase the amount of effort he’ll put in because I doubt he’ll want to lose to you. I personally wouldn’t do best ball because to me that isn’t true fantasy football, a lot of the fun is deciding who to start and living with the rewards/consequences.

But hey this a cool topic so best of luck, I think this goes without saying but I probably wouldn’t join a league with an entry fee.

• Like 1

Start him off with a redraft league. 

13 hours ago, BrianM said:

He doesn't have anywhere near the league knowledge needed to do well, this is just a trainee type of phase.  I'd be surprised if he can name 20 of the top 100 fantasy players. 

Dude. The only way to get that knowledge is to actually do it. When I started, I couldn't have given you the top-5 fantasy players - I didn't even know exactly which positions counted.

Just give him a seat, let him do his thing (including his mistakes), help him when he has questions, and don't cut off his pocket money when he beats you in the finals.

Enter him into a $5,000 NFFC TE-premium championship league. Let him draw names out of a hat. High five yourself when he somehow drafts a team that finishes 3rd.

It will be a good father-son bonding experience. He will also learn the value of money, and he won't have to get a part-time job when he's older.

• Haha 1

I got this. 

Sit him in a chair directly in front of you.  Flip a coin and let him call heads or tails. 

Regardless of the outcome of the coin flip, kick him in the nuts 75% of the time.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Dude. The only way to get that knowledge is to actually do it. When I started, I couldn't have given you the top-5 fantasy players - I didn't even know exactly which positions counted.

Just give him a seat, let him do his thing (including his mistakes), help him when he has questions, and don't cut off his pocket money when he beats you in the finals.

Oh i know, it wasn't meant to be discouraging, but more put out there to give an idea of just how green he is.  He'll have to learn the hard way of course

• Like 1

Here's another option instead of kicking him in the nuts.

Adopt a poodle and a greyhound and let your kid observe them both for a while.  Then get a tennis ball and ask your kid which will get to the ball first after you throw it.

If he picks the poodle, then go ahead and throw the ball and then tell him to never play fantasy football.

If he picks the greyhound, break the greyhound's leg and then throw the ball and shrug your shoulders.

Ok...after looking at my last two suggestions, I realize that they may seem harsh.  Here's one that doesn't involve physical harm to your kid or a pet.

One morning, get up early and ask your kid what he wants for breakfast.  Pancakes or cereal.   You'll eat whichever he doesn't choose.

So...he probably picks pancakes.   Make the pancakes and put some syrup on them and place them in front of your child.  Make the cereal and place it in front of yourself.

Right when he's about to dig in, slap the plat off the table.   Then look him in the eye and say, "do you want this cereal?".  When he says yes, throw the cereal on the floor as well.

Hopefully at this point, your dog(s) is scarfing down the pancakes and cereal.  

Point at the dog and say, "fantasy football champion 2020".

6 hours ago, K197040 said:

Point at the dog and say, "fantasy football champion 2020".

Yeah yeah, we get it, you get frustrated by FF.

In other news, and completely unrelated, what's the number of Child Protective Services in your area?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Yeah yeah, we get it, you get frustrated by FF.

In other news, and completely unrelated, what's the number of Child Protective Services in your area?

What?  No...you got it wrong.   In the above, I am the poodle and the dog that eats your breakfast.

You hear me???  I AM THE F'ING POODLE THAT EATS PANCAKES.

Edited by K197040

I like it.   I drink your milkshake.  I am the one who knocks.  I am the poodle that eats pancakes.

Anyone have a screen printer at home?

Do a small league with like 6 teams and let him win.   So he looks forward to it next year and then hes hooked after that. 

On 6/7/2020 at 6:20 PM, Ddam2013 said:

Not sure if this is an option for you but the first league I played in was a friends/family league that my Dad started to give me and my brother a team. If that’s not an option I would just find one or two free leagues on yahoo/espn and join with him, don’t cheat or anything but if you’re in them with him it will increase the amount of effort he’ll put in because I doubt he’ll want to lose to you. I personally wouldn’t do best ball because to me that isn’t true fantasy football, a lot of the fun is deciding who to start and living with the rewards/consequences.

But hey this a cool topic so best of luck, I think this goes without saying but I probably wouldn’t join a league with an entry fee.

Agree all the way around.